Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soul Food

I'd give anything to have some beans and cornbread and big pot of
collards!

I think you throw a hambone in the beans and greens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Switch wrote:
> I'd give anything to have some beans and cornbread and big pot of
> collards!
>
> I think you throw a hambone in the beans and greens

Gag. Thought you meant "sole" food.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GAg?

I'm incensed

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Switch wrote:
> > I'd give anything to have some beans and cornbread and big pot of
> > collards!
> >
> > I think you throw a hambone in the beans and greens

> Gag. Thought you meant "sole" food.
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Switch wrote:
> GAg?
>
> I'm incensed

wondered what that smell was.... sorry, b, old chap, but... I have
no excuse for that remark....

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >
wrote:

> "cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Switch wrote:
> > > I'd give anything to have some beans and cornbread and big pot of
> > > collards!
> > >
> > > I think you throw a hambone in the beans and greens

> > Gag. Thought you meant "sole" food.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Cathy(xyz)
> >

> GAg?
>
> I'm incensed

While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
_detest_ collards!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

snip

> While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
> _detest_ collards!
> --
> Peace, Om.

I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
greens? Chard?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>
>>In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

> snip
>
>>While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
>>_detest_ collards!
>>--
>>Peace, Om.

> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> greens? Chard?
> Janet

Mustard greens aren't they? A neighbour marinates them in coca cola for
an hour or so then drains and cooks them. There not bad, not completely
to my taste but i could see how a person would like them, she does her
ham the same way with the cola but for a longer period 24 hours or so
and that is just superb.

Especially when she serves it with from scratch corn bread made with
bacon grease iirc and black eyed peas.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Swish wrote:

> I'd give anything to have some beans and cornbread and big pot of
> collards!
>
> I think you throw a hambone in the beans and greens

What's stopping you from cooking them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

> snip
>>
>> While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
>> _detest_ collards!
>> --
>> Peace, Om.

> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> greens? Chard?
> Janet

Green newspaper.

A lot of soul food is the result of necessity. People did the best they
could with what they had, the result of poverty and discrimination. I have
the greatest respect for their grit and determination, but there's only so
much you can do with some ingredients.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael contributed:

>>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like?
>>> Beet greens? Chard?
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Mustard greens aren't they? A neighbour marinates them in coca cola
>> for an hour or so then drains and cooks them. There not bad, not
>> completely to my taste but i could see how a person would like them,
>> she does her ham the same way with the cola but for a longer period 24
>> hours or so and that is just superb.
>>
>> Especially when she serves it with from scratch corn bread made with
>> bacon grease iirc and black eyed peas.
>> ---
>> JL
>>

> Collards are great. They have to be cleaned well. I'll boil up a bunch
> but put some bacon in them. Sometimes I'll just sprinkle on some
> Balsamic.

They're not difficult to clean at all; they don't have lots of little
crevices like some other vegetables. Most of the time you also have to cut
out the stem; it's too fibrous to eat. I like to cook collards with just a
bit of water, salt, dry mustard, hot pepper flakes, and garlic. In terms of
taste, I think chard is the closest comparison, though chard isn't as hearty
as collards.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> Joseph Littleshoes > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> snip

> >> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like?
> >> Beet greens? Chard?
> >> Janet
> >>

> > Mustard greens aren't they? A neighbour marinates them in coca cola
> > for an hour or so then drains and cooks them. There not bad, not
> > completely to my taste but i could see how a person would like them,
> > she does her ham the same way with the cola but for a longer period 24
> > hours or so and that is just superb.
> >
> > Especially when she serves it with from scratch corn bread made with
> > bacon grease iirc and black eyed peas.
> > ---
> > JL
> >

> Collards are great. They have to be cleaned well. I'll boil up a bunch

but
> put some bacon in them. Sometimes I'll just sprinkle on some Balsamic.

They are wonderful, especially when they are not oversalted and/or
overcooked--something lots of southern cooks do for some reason.
And the nutrition in them is incredibly rich. They are a species of
wild cabbage.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter Aitken sez:

> Green newspaper.
>
> A lot of soul food is the result of necessity. People did the best they
> could with what they had, the result of poverty and discrimination. I have
> the greatest respect for their grit and determination, but there's only so
> much you can do with some ingredients.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Green newspaper??!? Blasphemy! Peter, I must respectfully disagree with
your assessment of collards; a food grown and used out of necessity, true,
but a damn delicious one if cooked properly (baby collards tend to be more
"user-friendly"). But then I'm a fool for all bitter greens, including
dandelion. I came home from the farmers' market yesterday with an armload
of chard, curly kale, Lacinto kale, Red Russian kale, beet greens,
dandelions, and yes, collards.

Spitz
--
"Mind the runner beans!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I like to cook collards with just a
> bit of water, salt, dry mustard, hot pepper flakes, and garlic. In terms of
> taste, I think chard is the closest comparison, though chard isn't as hearty
> as collards.

mmm, that sounds professional

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

> snip
> >
> > While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
> > _detest_ collards!
> > --
> > Peace, Om.

> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> greens? Chard?
> Janet

Shoe leather?
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >> In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

> > snip
> >>
> >> While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
> >> _detest_ collards!
> >> --
> >> Peace, Om.

> > I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> > greens? Chard?
> > Janet
> >

> Green newspaper.

ROFL!!!
Perfect! ;-D

> A lot of soul food is the result of necessity. People did the best they
> could with what they had, the result of poverty and discrimination. I have
> the greatest respect for their grit and determination, but there's only so
> much you can do with some ingredients.

I prefer rainbow or red chard, or fresh baby spinach.....

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > hitched up their panties
> and posted :
>
> > Michael contributed:

> >> Collards are great. They have to be cleaned well. I'll boil up a
> >> bunch but put some bacon in them. Sometimes I'll just sprinkle on
> >> some Balsamic.

> > They're not difficult to clean at all; they don't have lots of little
> > crevices like some other vegetables. Most of the time you also have to
> > cut out the stem; it's too fibrous to eat. I like to cook collards
> > with just a bit of water, salt, dry mustard, hot pepper flakes, and
> > garlic. In terms of taste, I think chard is the closest comparison,
> > though chard isn't as hearty as collards.
> >
> > Bob

> You have just posted a wonderful method to cook them. Thanks.
>
> Michael

Yeah.

You NEED all that just to give them some flavor!

Om -> obviously not a collard fan.....
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Spitzmaus wrote:

> Green newspaper??!? Blasphemy! Peter, I must respectfully disagree with
> your assessment of collards; a food grown and used out of necessity, true,
> but a damn delicious one if cooked properly (baby collards tend to be more
> "user-friendly"). But then I'm a fool for all bitter greens, including
> dandelion. I came home from the farmers' market yesterday with an armload
> of chard, curly kale, Lacinto kale, Red Russian kale, beet greens,
> dandelions, and yes, collards.

daaaamn

i know green leaves are all that a 900 lb gorilla eats
they are pretty healthy

I hope you can eat them all

I've never eaten most of what you listed! Im sure you know what polk
salad is..
a lot of people eat it...but a recent study said it is not good to eat.

dandelions...interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
snip
> They're not difficult to clean at all; they don't have lots of little
> crevices like some other vegetables. Most of the time you also have to cut
> out the stem; it's too fibrous to eat. I like to cook collards with just
> bit of water, salt, dry mustard, hot pepper flakes, and garlic. In terms
> of taste, I think chard is the closest comparison, though chard isn't as
> hearty as collards.
>
> Bob

By hearty, do you mean 'body' of the vegetable or the strength of flavor?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh hell! sometimes im just not in the mood for some things

you know I wasn't really incensed!
or was I...

maybe I should milk it a little bit

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Switch wrote:
> > GAg?
> >
> > I'm incensed

> wondered what that smell was.... sorry, b, old chap, but... I have
> no excuse for that remark....
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

uz051235198 wrote:

> They are wonderful, especially when they are not oversalted and/or
> overcooked--something lots of southern cooks do for some reason.
> And the nutrition in them is incredibly rich. They are a species of
> wild cabbage.

most uz-es who like wild cabbage also like meat

you like thick cuts of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

snip
>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
>> greens? Chard?
>> Janet
>>

> Green newspaper.
>
> A lot of soul food is the result of necessity. People did the best they
> could with what they had, the result of poverty and discrimination. I have
> the greatest respect for their grit and determination, but there's only so
> much you can do with some ingredients.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Green newspaper, I don't think I've ever tried that either. Seriously
though, I can remember my mother pointing out plants that she grew up with
as a child that we wouldn't eat now, but apparently was either as you say a
direct result of necessity on the Minnesota farm in the early 1900's or was
a tradition brought here by her German parents. Horseradish leaves was one
and another plant that I know as Shepherd's Purse. It's a succulent
low-growing 'weed' to me. Dandelion greens and some other things I can't
recall now.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> > In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

>> snip
>> >
>> > While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
>> > _detest_ collards!
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om.

>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
>> greens? Chard?
>> Janet
>>

> Shoe leather?
> --
> Peace, Om.

I guess I'm going to have to try them, the answers have been too intriguing
and hilarious. Thanks all.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Switch" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> uz051235198 wrote:
>
> > They are wonderful, especially when they are not oversalted and/or
> > overcooked--something lots of southern cooks do for some reason.
> > And the nutrition in them is incredibly rich. They are a species of
> > wild cabbage.

> most uz-es who like wild cabbage also like meat
>
> you like thick cuts of meat?

Why, you wanna stuff my cabbage, big fella?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Switch sez:

> daaaamn
>
> i know green leaves are all that a 900 lb gorilla eats
> they are pretty healthy
>
> I hope you can eat them all
>
> I've never eaten most of what you listed! Im sure you know what polk
> salad is..
> a lot of people eat it...but a recent study said it is not good to eat.
>
> dandelions...interesting.

Yep, I can eat 'em all no problem, and others I didn't even list. Our local
farmers' market has pretty much any variety one would want. The entire
spectrum of dark, leafy greens are super-nutritious as well, which is prolly
why most of those gorillas are so healthy!

As for"poke salat," sure, I know about it, although I've never eaten any.
The study you mentioned -- care to elaborate a little??

Spitz
--
"Mind the runner beans!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> greens? Chard?
> Janet

Doesn't everything taste like chicken?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >
> >>In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch" >

> > snip
> >
> >>While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
> >>_detest_ collards!
> >>--
> >>Peace, Om.

> > I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> > greens? Chard?
> > Janet
> >

> Mustard greens aren't they? A neighbour marinates them in coca cola for
> an hour or so then drains and cooks them. There not bad, not completely
> to my taste but i could see how a person would like them, she does her
> ham the same way with the cola but for a longer period 24 hours or so
> and that is just superb.
>
> Especially when she serves it with from scratch corn bread made with
> bacon grease iirc and black eyed peas.
> ---
> JL

Thanks, that's the first time I've heard of this.

At the moment, my soul food is shrimp dumplings!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om replied:

>>> I like to cook collards with just a bit of water, salt, dry mustard, hot
>>> pepper flakes, and garlic. In terms of taste, I think chard is the
>>> closest comparison, though chard isn't as hearty as collards.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> You have just posted a wonderful method to cook them. Thanks.
>>
>> Michael

> Yeah.
>
> You NEED all that just to give them some flavor!
>
> Om -> obviously not a collard fan.....

Actually, it's rather the opposite: Like rapini, collard greens have a VERY
strong flavor of their own, and if you try to match them with subtle
flavoring agents, those agents will simply be overwhelmed.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wondered:

>> In terms of taste, I think chard is the closest comparison, though chard
>> isn't as hearty as collards.
>>
>> Bob

> By hearty, do you mean 'body' of the vegetable or the strength of flavor?

Collard greens have fleshier leaves and a stronger flavor than chard.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jen" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
>> greens? Chard?
>> Janet
>>

> Doesn't everything taste like chicken?

Sorta musky. Needs to be cooked a little longer than most greens. One site
says the taste is between cabbage and kale. I agree. It is a strong taste.
I love it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> Sorta musky. Needs to be cooked a little longer than most greens. One

site
> says the taste is between cabbage and kale. I agree. It is a strong

taste.
> I love it.

Me too. I would rather have well-prepared collards than an expensive
cut of steak. Or caviar. (I hate caviar.) Or smoked salmon. Or .... well,
no, I would rather have fried oysters than even the best collards.

People who do not like collards are invariable unimaginative and (alas!)
terrible in bed.

It's been documented by multiple double-blind studies.

Honest.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
> greens? Chard?
> Janet

No, they are not as sweet as beet greens or chard. I love both of
those but dislike collards. They are "weedier" tasting and more
bitter.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

uz051235198 wrote:

> Me too. I would rather have well-prepared collards than an expensive
> cut of steak. Or caviar. (I hate caviar.) Or smoked salmon. Or .... well,
> no, I would rather have fried oysters than even the best collards.
>
> People who do not like collards are invariable unimaginative and (alas!)
> terrible in bed.
>
> It's been documented by multiple double-blind studies.
>
> Honest.

Do you have to poison this newsgroup as well? FFS, Do you not have a
life of your own?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> uz051235198 wrote:
> >
> > Me too. I would rather have well-prepared collards than an expensive
> > cut of steak. Or caviar. (I hate caviar.) Or smoked salmon. Or .... well,
> > no, I would rather have fried oysters than even the best collards.
> >
> > People who do not like collards are invariable unimaginative and (alas!)
> > terrible in bed.
> >
> > It's been documented by multiple double-blind studies.
> >
> > Honest.

> Do you have to poison this newsgroup as well? FFS, Do you not have a
> life of your own?

Try not to worry about it. -L. Hope you are over your flu?

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

uz051235198 wrote:

> Why, you wanna stuff my cabbage, big fella?

it might split it..!
maybe we gently open the leaves a little and lay the juicy meat
on top, but nestled down...serve it like that
finished with a thick hot cream sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
>> greens? Chard?
>> Janet

> No, they are not as sweet as beet greens or chard. I love both of
> those but dislike collards. They are "weedier" tasting and more
> bitter.
>
> -L.

I can imagine 'weedier' by relating it to gardening smells. That helps,
thanks.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Jen" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like? Beet
>>> greens? Chard?
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Doesn't everything taste like chicken?

> Sorta musky. Needs to be cooked a little longer than most greens. One site
> says the taste is between cabbage and kale. I agree. It is a strong taste.
> I love it.
> Dee Dee

I actually cook mine for a short time and they are delicious. I chop an onion
and an apple and saute them until the onion is soft. I de-rib the collard
greens and then roll them into a tube and cut them into a half inch
chiffonade. Throw them in the pan with the apple and onion (if I am making a
lot I use my wok, it's easier to move things around) and mix and heat until
the greens turn bright green. Hit it with a few dashes of rice vinegar and
sesame oil and we're good to go.

Wonderful, not overcooked, good flavor. Even my dad, the guy who grew up on
greens cooked to death in bacon fat likes them.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:

>>> Doesn't everything taste like chicken?

>> Sorta musky. Needs to be cooked a little longer than most greens. One
>> site
>> says the taste is between cabbage and kale. I agree. It is a strong
>> taste.
>> I love it.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> I actually cook mine for a short time and they are delicious. I chop an
> onion
> and an apple and saute them until the onion is soft. I de-rib the collard
> greens and then roll them into a tube and cut them into a half inch
> chiffonade. Throw them in the pan with the apple and onion (if I am making
> lot I use my wok, it's easier to move things around) and mix and heat
> until
> the greens turn bright green. Hit it with a few dashes of rice vinegar and
> sesame oil and we're good to go.
>
> Wonderful, not overcooked, good flavor. Even my dad, the guy who grew up
> on
> greens cooked to death in bacon fat likes them.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

I like your recipe. I have cooked collards this way (without the apple and
sesame oil) and mixed them 1/3 to 2/3 cabbage. Makes for a colorful, tasty
dish. Sometimes I add the vinegar at the table.
PS, Some like the bacon fat taste in all greens, but when I cook with bacon
fat, all I taste is bacon fat - makes greens seem slimey to me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om replied:

> >> You have just posted a wonderful method to cook them. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > Yeah.
> >
> > You NEED all that just to give them some flavor!
> >
> > Om -> obviously not a collard fan.....

> Actually, it's rather the opposite: Like rapini, collard greens have a VERY
> strong flavor of their own, and if you try to match them with subtle
> flavoring agents, those agents will simply be overwhelmed.
>
> Bob

I think it's more the texture than the taste I find objectionable... ;-p
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"uz051235198" > wrote:

> People who do not like collards are invariable unimaginative and (alas!)
> terrible in bed.

Sez you. ;-)

> It's been documented by multiple double-blind studies.

If you say so!

> Honest.

Honest that you are very bad in bed???

I'm not. <smirk>
I'll not elaborate tho'
Wrong forum......

Then there is this fun site:

http://www.mini.ca/
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>>> In article <LqOGf.32605$H43.26670@trnddc08>, "Switch"
>>>
>>> While I could sure go for the pot of hambone beans and corn bread, I
>>> _detest_ collards!
>>> --
>>> Peace, Om.

>> I've never had collards. Is there anything they taste sorta like?
>> Beet greens? Chard?
>> Janet
>>

> Green newspaper.
>
> A lot of soul food is the result of necessity. People did the best
> they could with what they had, the result of poverty and
> discrimination. I have the greatest respect for their grit and
> determination, but there's only so much you can do with some
> ingredients.

LOL! Yep, like Dad telling me about picking dandylion greens for his mom in
the 1930's. Poor folks food. A lot of it is wonderful but he won't eat
greens of any kind to this day. I don't care for collard greens but I do
like turnip greens.

Jill

Soul Food Lunch Tara General Cooking 25 02-03-2014 02:59 AM
Soul Food [email protected] General Cooking 6 11-02-2009 03:05 AM
Best soul food recipes... askMe General Cooking 0 14-02-2006 06:44 PM
soul food [email protected] General Cooking 4 11-02-2005 10:51 PM