FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hot tamales! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/82299-hot-tamales.html)

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:59 AM

Hot tamales!

Woo-hoo! My new best friend Soccorro The Tamale Empress said she'd
bring my tamales to the Y this morning -- something about 8:00 to sign
up for a yoga class. Ugh. I don't usually go until a bit later in the
morning but this morning went to be there at 8:00. She wasn't there.

Came home and found a voice message indicating that she would be there
around 10:00, which is when I usually see her anyway. So I went back, a
couple jars in a bag for her, at 10:00. She gave me a half dozen cooked
tamales! She also brought a little container of salsa verde to
accompany them. Hoo-yah!

I toted them around with me for a few hours as I met a friend for lunch
and improved the local economy somewhat at the Lands' End Inlet store.
We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad and some
of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I saw a recipe
on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for tamale recipes and
this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
curious.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

King's Crown[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:08 AM

Hot tamales!

> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> curious.
> --

I make a mole' to go with mine. I like to serve them with refrieds and
spanish rice and a nice green salad. Personally, I'd like to eat just about
3 or 4 heck 5 tamales all by themselves, but they are so freaking time
consuming to make that I'll serve them with rice and beans to cut down the
number of tamales needed in one sitting.

Lynne

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:23 AM

Hot tamales!

Barb asked:

> What else goes on the plate when tamales are on the menu? What I picture
> is a combination plate from El Loro Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an
> enchilada or something. Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?

It's not a *bad* thing, but there are some things which I think accompany
tamales well. I like to have them with pickled vegetables and a couple
different dipping sauces or salsas on the side. Or I'll have them with
steamed or roasted vegetables (especially squash: winter squash, summer
squash, spaghetti squash -- it's all good) on the side. Sometimes I make a
kind of Tex-Mex coleslaw to go along with tamales (or with Texas-style
barbecue). Oh, and beer or margaritas, of course. If you want something
more elaborate, flautas are fun to have with tamales, but you're getting
into heart-attack-on-a-plate territory.

Bob

modom[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:35 AM

Hot tamales!

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
> I toted them around with me for a few hours as I met a friend for lunch
>and improved the local economy somewhat at the Lands' End Inlet store.
>We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad and some
>of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I saw a recipe
>on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for tamale recipes and
>this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
>two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Lard, woman. You put lard in the masa for tamales. It makes them
light and fluffy. I don't know why, but it is so.

>Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
>effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
>are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
>Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
>*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
>curious.

I usually use the leftover smoked tukey from Thanksgiving and/or
Christmas when I make tamales. I add a slice of pickled jalapeno to
each one and roll it up. Other than that, I don't know. You want it
very tender and well spiced, I'm sure, whatever meat cut you use.

My holiday tamales are usually served with a salsa made from leftover
cranberry/orange relish and cilantro and jalapenos. And maybe a
dollop of sour cream. But non-holiday tamales are served with chili
hereabouts. Rice also sounds nice. And a green salad.

Eating them is a pleasure and accompanied or not that's never a bad
thing.

modom

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:39 AM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb asked:
>
> > What else goes on the plate when tamales are on the menu? What I picture
> > is a combination plate from El Loro Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an
> > enchilada or something. Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?

> It's not a *bad* thing, but there are some things which I think accompany
> tamales well. I like to have them with pickled vegetables and a couple
> different dipping sauces or salsas on the side. Or I'll have them with
> steamed or roasted vegetables (especially squash: winter squash, summer
> squash, spaghetti squash -- it's all good) on the side.

Es un gran lástima que no hay chansa (we made that up in Spanish class)
por (¿para?) los en mi casa.

> Sometimes I make a
> kind of Tex-Mex coleslaw to go along with tamales (or with Texas-style
> barbecue). Oh, and beer or margaritas, of course. If you want something
> more elaborate, flautas are fun to have with tamales, but you're getting
> into heart-attack-on-a-plate territory.

Not to mention that I'd have to make 'em myself. :-) I hate cooking.

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:41 AM

Hot tamales!

In article . net>,
"King's Crown" > wrote:

> > Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> > effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> > are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> > Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> > *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> > curious.
> > --

> I make a mole' to go with mine. I like to serve them with refrieds and
> spanish rice and a nice green salad. Personally, I'd like to eat just about
> 3 or 4 heck 5 tamales all by themselves, but they are so freaking time
> consuming to make that I'll serve them with rice and beans to cut down the
> number of tamales needed in one sitting.
>
> Lynne

Kind of what I was thinking. These were already cooked from frozen so I
figured it was going to be one (might could've been two) meal. Oinked
out.. (And I learned on Friday evening that it's mole, not molé.)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:42 AM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Woo-hoo! My new best friend Soccorro The Tamale Empress said she'd
> bring my tamales to the Y this morning -- something about 8:00 to sign
> up for a yoga class. Ugh. I don't usually go until a bit later in the
> morning but this morning went to be there at 8:00. She wasn't there.
>
> Came home and found a voice message indicating that she would be there
> around 10:00, which is when I usually see her anyway. So I went back, a
> couple jars in a bag for her, at 10:00. She gave me a half dozen cooked
> tamales! She also brought a little container of salsa verde to
> accompany them. Hoo-yah!
>
> I toted them around with me for a few hours as I met a friend for lunch
> and improved the local economy somewhat at the Lands' End Inlet store.
> We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad and some
> of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I saw a recipe
> on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for tamale recipes and
> this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
> two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!
>
> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> curious.

Real tamales are made using whole cooked pig head meat.
They sell frozen pig heads in our markets here around the holidays and
put the packages of masa right next to them. ;-)

I like them straight sometimes, or other times I'll peel several, lay
them on a plate and pour pace picante sauce over them, layer some
shredded jack cheese over that, then nuke it.

Both ways are good, just depends on the mood I'm in.

Enjoy!
--
Om.

pablo 07-02-2006 04:58 AM

Hot tamales!

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
snipped*
> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> curious.

*
I usually make carne al pastor with whatever kind of pork roast is on
sale -- I think it was a blade roast the last time. Braising is probably
your best bet. Don't be afraid to throw lots of spices into the beer, uh,
....er braising liquid, I mean.

In sunny Tucson, we usually eat tamales with pinto beans -- either refritos
or de olla. (I like them from the pot.) I use a very mild hot sauce on the
tamales. My favorite is "Tamazula," which I think is almost like ketchup.
(I avoid the salsas made chiefly from vinegar.)

You're right about the fat content --it's high. I think a few avocado
slices and a fruit salad would balance the meal out nicely. And you can't
go wrong with a nice tossed salad.

Buen provecho,
Pablo

pablo 07-02-2006 05:02 AM

Hot tamales!

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> "King's Crown" > wrote:

(And I learned on Friday evening that it's mole, not molé.)
*
Molé is what the matadors eat, me thinks.

Pablo

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 05:14 AM

Hot tamales!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling?

A boiled hog's head. Seriously. (you asked) You should be able to use
any pork roast that you can cook to pieces with slow moist heat.

> What else goes on the plate when tamales are on the menu? What I
> picture is a combination plate from El Loro Restaurante -- frijoles,
> arroz, an enchilada or something.

A little enchilada sauce poured over, and rice and frijoles on the side.

> Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?

How could it be bad? But you'll probably at least want a bottle of beer
or a can of TaB to wash them down.

Best regards,
Bob

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:16 AM

Hot tamales!

pablo wrote:

> (And I learned on Friday evening that it's mole, not molé.)
> *
> Molé is what the matadors eat, me thinks.

What if the bull wins ? :-)

pablo 07-02-2006 05:38 AM

Hot tamales!

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

pablo wrote:

> (And I learned on Friday evening that it's mole, not molé.)
> *
> Molé is what the matadors eat, me thinks.

What if the bull wins ? :-)
*
Shishkabobs!

Marcella Peek 07-02-2006 05:39 AM

Hot tamales!

Lard, lard, lard in the masa. Hey if you're going to do it you might as
well go all the way. Actually, we usually buy the masa all made up at
the market.

Pork shoulder or other pork roast that will cook and fall apart and get
nice an tender (as in lean loin is bad). We skip the heads ;-)

Mom is in charge of tamales at our house and it's usually half with
green chile and pork and half with red chile and pork. Then more chile
to pour over the top. Mom did do chicken ones once as we had a non-pork
eating guest; said she was a vegetarian who ate fish and poultry, go
figure. And as I type this just now I think, crap there was lard in the
masa. Oh well, about 12 years too late to do anything about it. She
did eat pork in chinese restaurants because she said you couldn't avoid
it so at least we weren't the first to contaminate her, but I digress.

Back in the day mom also made sweet tamales with pineapple and raisins
inside for dessert.

It used to just be tamales but now that we kids are old enough to
participate we make sure there is some kind of green salad, avocado,
sour cream and occasionally rice or fruit on the side.

It is not a bad thing at all to just eat tamales. They are the best
part after all.

marcella

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:01 AM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> > effectively for the filling?

> A boiled hog's head. Seriously. (you asked)

Dude! I grew up on a farm and one of my earliest memories is of those
squealing piggies when they got knifed. "Thank you for your goodness
for our table, piggy."

> You should be able to use
> any pork roast that you can cook to pieces with slow moist heat.

Butt roast? Like for my tourtieres but not ground?

> A little enchilada sauce poured over, and rice and frijoles on the side.

Yeah, and I didn't feel like cooking (I had lunch out with a friend and
when I do, Rob's supper suffers).

> > Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?

> How could it be bad? But you'll probably at least want a bottle of beer
> or a can of TaB to wash them down.

I had TaB. Rob had milk.

> Best regards,
> Bob

Thanks, :-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:02 AM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> I like them straight sometimes, or other times I'll peel several, lay
> them on a plate and pour pace picante sauce over them, layer some
> shredded jack cheese over that, then nuke it.

That sounds good. Thanks,

> Enjoy!

ayup. We did.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:05 AM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
> >two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

> Lard, woman.

Kinda what I thought. Ack!

> You put lard in the masa for tamales. It makes them
> light and fluffy. I don't know why, but it is so.

> My holiday tamales are usually served with a salsa made from leftover
> cranberry/orange relish

Yeah, but you have a very*special* way with food, Dude!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

ensenadajim 07-02-2006 06:30 AM

Hot tamales!

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
>effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
>are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
>Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
>*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
>curious.

Sounds like a good set of questions for that best friend.

jim

jay 07-02-2006 02:10 PM

Hot tamales!

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling?

The (TEX-MEX) natives here use hogs head not pork roast. It used to be
really inexpensive. We have made them with pork butt.

>What else goes on the plate when tamales are on the menu?
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada

Exactly.

Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?
Great unaccompanied! I love them sitting smack in the middle of a good
bowl of chili!

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:42 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Pork Butt or Shoulder. If you want to get really authentic, get a
> whole pigs head and simmer for 5-7 hours.
>
> Brush it's teeth first.
>
> -sw

Steve!! Jeez!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:46 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
ensenadajim > wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> >effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> >are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> >Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> >*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> >curious.

> Sounds like a good set of questions for that best friend.

> jim

Good point. I hope she'll be there this morning. Then I hope I"ll be
there this morning. :-)

I believe this was her sequence in making them: made them, froze them
uncooked, cooked them, refrigerated them, gave them to me. Six of the
precious little packets. Might I have frozen them after they were given
to me so as to not demolish them at one sitting? Then what? Nuke from
frozen to heat? Thaw then nuke?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 03:49 PM

Hot tamales!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> ensenadajim > wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>>>Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
>>>effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
>>>are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
>>>Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
>>>*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
>>>curious.

>>Sounds like a good set of questions for that best friend.

>>jim

> Good point. I hope she'll be there this morning. Then I hope I"ll be
> there this morning. :-)
>
> I believe this was her sequence in making them: made them, froze them
> uncooked, cooked them, refrigerated them, gave them to me. Six of the
> precious little packets. Might I have frozen them after they were given
> to me so as to not demolish them at one sitting? Then what? Nuke from
> frozen to heat? Thaw then nuke?

I think they are cooked (steamed) and then frozen. I've never made
them; I've been threatening to make them for a couple of years but
haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

Bob

jmcquown 07-02-2006 04:56 PM

Hot tamales!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Woo-hoo! My new best friend Soccorro The Tamale Empress said she'd
> bring my tamales to the Y this morning

(snippage of a fun afternoon)
> We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad
> and some of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I
> saw a recipe on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for
> tamale recipes and this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked.
> Something about adding two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Yeah, they aren't exactly health food but boy are they good! Usually it's
*lard* mixed into the masa harina to make the masa dough.

> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling?

I made beef tamales using a big ol' chuck roast. Not sure what would be
best for pork tamales.

What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and
> am curious.

Certainly not a bad thing! Accompany them with whatever you wish!

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:09 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>

> > I like them straight sometimes, or other times I'll peel several, lay
> > them on a plate and pour pace picante sauce over them, layer some
> > shredded jack cheese over that, then nuke it.

> That sounds good. Thanks,
> >
> > Enjoy!

> ayup. We did.

Guacamole and sour cream also go well with that...... ;-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:11 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> >effectively for the filling?

> Pork Butt or Shoulder. If you want to get really authentic, get a
> whole pigs head and simmer for 5-7 hours.
>
> Brush it's teeth first.
>
> -sw

I think at the very least, I'd remove the brains first. ;-)

I can handle hog cheek meat (in fact, I prefer the hogs head tamales!)
but the idea of eating brain makes me gag. ;-p
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:12 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> > effectively for the filling?

> The (TEX-MEX) natives here use hogs head not pork roast. It used to be
> really inexpensive. We have made them with pork butt.
>
> >What else goes on the plate when tamales are on the menu?
> > Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada

> Exactly.
>
> Is is a *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied?
> Great unaccompanied! I love them sitting smack in the middle of a good
> bowl of chili!

Mmm... I like it when the hispanic ladies bring them to work, fresh made
and fresh out of the steamer.

I'll peel and eat a dozen of them for dinner at work, as is, by
themselves!

Glass of ice tea on the side to wash them down. ;-d
--
Om.

Puester 07-02-2006 05:13 PM

Hot tamales!

zxcvbob wrote:

> I think they are cooked (steamed) and then frozen. I've never made
> them; I've been threatening to make them for a couple of years but
> haven't gotten a round tuit yet.
>
> Bob

Dear Daughter and I have made them twice. It's not as horrible a
process as everyone hints. I think the secret is to cook and shred the
meat a day ahead and then to do the assembly with at least one other
person. If it's one who makes you laugh, it's a real bonus.

And the finished product, spiced to your liking, is so-o-o-o good!

gloria p

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:14 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> ensenadajim > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> > >Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> > >effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> > >are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> > >Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> > >*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> > >curious.

> > Sounds like a good set of questions for that best friend.

> > jim

> Good point. I hope she'll be there this morning. Then I hope I"ll be
> there this morning. :-)
>
> I believe this was her sequence in making them: made them, froze them
> uncooked, cooked them, refrigerated them, gave them to me. Six of the
> precious little packets. Might I have frozen them after they were given
> to me so as to not demolish them at one sitting? Then what? Nuke from
> frozen to heat? Thaw then nuke?

I froze some that I bought fresh from right before New Years.
Nuked a dozen of them the other day. They were easier to peel and a bit
drier, still good but not quite as good as fresh.

But, that's just me. <G>
--
Om.

Marcella Peek 07-02-2006 06:33 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>

> > I like them straight sometimes, or other times I'll peel several, lay
> > them on a plate and pour pace picante sauce over them, layer some
> > shredded jack cheese over that, then nuke it.

> That sounds good. Thanks,
> >
> > Enjoy!

> ayup. We did.

CHEESE! cheese!

Must be the words of a white boy ;-)

marcella

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:58 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Marcella Peek > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >

> > > I like them straight sometimes, or other times I'll peel several, lay
> > > them on a plate and pour pace picante sauce over them, layer some
> > > shredded jack cheese over that, then nuke it.

> > That sounds good. Thanks,
> > >
> > > Enjoy!

> > ayup. We did.

> CHEESE! cheese!
>
> Must be the words of a white boy ;-)
>
> marcella

Count on it. ;-)
--
Om.

dodis 07-02-2006 08:04 PM

Hot tamales!

Out of lurk here....

My wife makes tamales fairly regular, usually about 20 dozen per batch.
We use a pork picnic roast or shoulder roast, which is usually about
$.99 per lb here. Yes, use lard in the masa, even the prepared masa in
the store, it's only masa and water, still needs the lard and spices.
We also get the lard from the local carniceria, freshly rendered. We
also prefer to use MASECA brand dry masa rather then the store bought
ready stuff. We use stock rather than water when preparing it for
better flavor.

For serving options beyond freshly steamed or nuked from the freezer,
there are a few we use. Peel and pan fry in more lard till crispy, then
serve covered in lettuce, tomato, (cheese if you want), some sour cream
or avocado slasa, and *opt* hot salsa of your choice (we do this for
flautas too). Another is to put them on the BBQ and grill in the husk
till hot, then serve with salsa, peel and eat.

dodis

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 09:04 PM

Hot tamales!

dodis wrote:
> Out of lurk here....
>
> My wife makes tamales fairly regular, usually about 20 dozen per batch.
> We use a pork picnic roast or shoulder roast, which is usually about
> $.99 per lb here. Yes, use lard in the masa, even the prepared masa in
> the store, it's only masa and water, still needs the lard and spices.
> We also get the lard from the local carniceria, freshly rendered. We
> also prefer to use MASECA brand dry masa rather then the store bought
> ready stuff. We use stock rather than water when preparing it for
> better flavor.
>
> For serving options beyond freshly steamed or nuked from the freezer,
> there are a few we use. Peel and pan fry in more lard till crispy, then
> serve covered in lettuce, tomato, (cheese if you want), some sour cream
> or avocado slasa, and *opt* hot salsa of your choice (we do this for
> flautas too). Another is to put them on the BBQ and grill in the husk
> till hot, then serve with salsa, peel and eat.
>
> dodis

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you boil the meat the day before making the
tamales, the meat will provide both stock and fresh unadulterated fat
for making the masa -- probably not enough fat, but a lot. Just skim it
off of the stock, and fry any big hunks of fat remaining on the cooked
meat to render out it's fat and add to the fat that you skimmed.

At least that's what I intend to do when I eventually make a batch of
tamales. I'll use rendered beef fat (got a bunch in the freezer) or
commercial lard to make up the difference if there's not enough fat from
cooking the meat.

Bob

dodis 07-02-2006 11:00 PM

Hot tamales!

Probably won't get enough fat from the meat, plus we keep that fat with
the meat to keep it from being too dry. Yes, we do cook the meat the
day before and use the stock for the masa. The commercial lard (the
stuff in blocks) has been processed/filtered/hydrogenated so much that
there is no flavor left in it (plus trans fats), which is another
reason to render your own or purchase from a mexican meat market that
does. Actually, the local carniceria here in Galveston uses the block
stuff to fry up their pork skins, etc., then sells the lard after they
are done, so it does have the flavor, but we try to go to a larger
local chain mexican market (La Michoacana, Houston, TX) that renders
fresh lard, usually in conjunction with stocking up meat in the
freezer.

Arri London 08-02-2006 01:03 AM

Hot tamales!

modom wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
><snip>

Something about adding
> >two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

> Lard, woman. You put lard in the masa for tamales. It makes them
> light and fluffy. I don't know why, but it is so.

Thank you! Nearly gagged (ick ick ick) at the idea of oil in normal
tamales. The structure would be all wrong!

> >Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> >effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> >are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> >Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> >*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> >curious.

Any kind of cheap pork that will cook down to shreds will work. The
latest batch of tamales we made used pork cushion meat. Very lean
though; could benefit from a little pork fat.

> I usually use the leftover smoked tukey from Thanksgiving and/or
> Christmas when I make tamales. I add a slice of pickled jalapeno to
> each one and roll it up. Other than that, I don't know. You want it
> very tender and well spiced, I'm sure, whatever meat cut you use.
>
> My holiday tamales are usually served with a salsa made from leftover
> cranberry/orange relish and cilantro and jalapenos. And maybe a
> dollop of sour cream. But non-holiday tamales are served with chili
> hereabouts. Rice also sounds nice. And a green salad.
>
> Eating them is a pleasure and accompanied or not that's never a bad
> thing.
>
> modom

We usually just eat the tamales as is or with Spanish type rice.

modom[_1_] 08-02-2006 03:35 AM

Hot tamales!

On 7 Feb 2006 11:18:07 -0800, "dodis" > wrote:

>Out of lurk here....
>
>My wife makes tamales fairly regular, usually about 20 dozen per batch.
>We use a pork picnic roast or shoulder roast, which is usually about
>$.99 per lb here. Yes, use lard in the masa, even the prepared masa in
>the store, it's only masa and water, still needs the lard and spices.
>We also get the lard from the local carniceria, freshly rendered. We
>also prefer to use MASECA brand dry masa rather then the store bought
>ready stuff. We use stock rather than water when preparing it for
>better flavor.

I like MASECA, too. But I don't make tamales often enough and I've
had it go off on me. Presumably the oil in the corn went rancid. And
I use stock when I have it, and I most times do have it when making
tamales because it's how I use turkey leftovers. Next time tamales
are on the menu, I'll have to check with a carniceria for some of that
real lard, you speak of.

>For serving options beyond freshly steamed or nuked from the freezer,
>there are a few we use. Peel and pan fry in more lard till crispy, then
>serve covered in lettuce, tomato, (cheese if you want), some sour cream
>or avocado slasa, and *opt* hot salsa of your choice (we do this for
>flautas too). Another is to put them on the BBQ and grill in the husk
>till hot, then serve with salsa, peel and eat.

These sound abosultely fantastic! Don't lurk, my good man. Give us
the benefit of your experience and knowledge.

modom

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 08-02-2006 05:15 AM

Hot tamales!

On Tue 07 Feb 2006 09:11:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmeOmelet?

> In article >,
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
>> >effectively for the filling?

>> Pork Butt or Shoulder. If you want to get really authentic, get a
>> whole pigs head and simmer for 5-7 hours.
>>
>> Brush it's teeth first.
>>
>> -sw

> I think at the very least, I'd remove the brains first. ;-)
>
> I can handle hog cheek meat (in fact, I prefer the hogs head tamales!)
> but the idea of eating brain makes me gag. ;-p

You can have your soggy oreos and milk. I'll take the scrambled eggs with
brains. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

jmcquown 08-02-2006 09:15 AM

Hot tamales!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 07 Feb 2006 09:11:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> OmManiPadmeOmelet?
>
>> In article >,
>> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

>>> Pork Butt or Shoulder. If you want to get really authentic, get a
>>> whole pigs head and simmer for 5-7 hours.
>>>
>>> Brush it's teeth first.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I think at the very least, I'd remove the brains first. ;-)
>>
>> I can handle hog cheek meat (in fact, I prefer the hogs head
>> tamales!) but the idea of eating brain makes me gag. ;-p

> You can have your soggy oreos and milk. I'll take the scrambled eggs
> with brains. <g>

Eeek! My father loves scrambled brains & eggs! You may have my share :) I
don't have a problem with sweetbreads like kidneys in steak & kidney pie,
but you may have those mushy brains all to yourself. More for you!

Jill

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 08-02-2006 12:46 PM

Hot tamales!

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 01:15:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 07 Feb 2006 09:11:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet?

>>> I think at the very least, I'd remove the brains first. ;-)
>>>
>>> I can handle hog cheek meat (in fact, I prefer the hogs head
>>> tamales!) but the idea of eating brain makes me gag. ;-p

>> You can have your soggy oreos and milk. I'll take the scrambled eggs
>> with brains. <g>

> Eeek! My father loves scrambled brains & eggs! You may have my share
> :) I don't have a problem with sweetbreads like kidneys in steak &
> kidney pie, but you may have those mushy brains all to yourself. More
> for you!
>
> Jill

Kidney is not sweetbreads. Sweetbreads is the thymus gland of veal, young
beef, lamb, or pork. I can't tolerate kidney, regardless of how it's
prepared, but I think sweetbreads are delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

dodis 08-02-2006 04:43 PM

Hot tamales!

I don't blame most of you, I don't care for the brains, either. But my
wife's family (9 brothers & sisters) used to have some big arguments
over who got the goat's head when their mom made cabrito. She usually
had to buy extra heads just to keep peace at the table. Sweatbreads on
the grill, however, mmmm. And kidneys, my grandmother always said you
have to boil the **** out of them. Quite strong language for her,
except the occasional 'damn' during a Cowboys football game (when they
were good).

Dodis

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 08-02-2006 05:47 PM

Hot tamales!

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:11:24 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >I can handle hog cheek meat (in fact, I prefer the hogs head tamales!)
> >but the idea of eating brain makes me gag. ;-p

> Not to mention the cholesterol content of pig brains (about 1,000%
> of the USRDA for a 3oz portion).
>
> When you buy those hogs heads at the mexican markets the brains
> have already been removed, so it's not a true *whole* hogs head.
>
> -sw

I'm very glad to hear that...... :-)
--
Peace, Om.