FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brand name vs generic (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/82298-brand-name-vs-generic.html)

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 08-02-2006 04:11 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I also think most people consideer
> store brands as "generic".
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I think we've established that. ;-)
I know I sure do.....

I never, EVER see just plain old black and white generics anymore.
Just store brands to substitute for name brands. And they are nearly
always cheaper (unless a name brand is on sale).

I really don't care for the store brand tuna fish. It tastes "canned".
--
Peace, Om.

itsjoannotjoann 08-02-2006 04:31 AM

Brand name vs generic

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> "itsjoannotjoann" > writes:
>
> >Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
> >has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
> >them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.

> Kroger does have very good store brand foods. I also like Best Choice
> brand for most canned and frozen veggies and packaged cereals. It may
> only be available in my area though and not nationwide.
>
> Stacia

We have Best Choice brands here, too. Pretty danged good.

Kate Connally 08-02-2006 06:56 PM

Brand name vs generic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>
> > Generic sux

> Obviously, just your opinion!
>
> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> Some are even better.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

There are many generic or store brands that are as good as
or better than brand name products. However most are not as
good. That's if we're discussing food products. When it comes
to pharmaceuticals I will buy the generic/store brand every
time. They work just as well. But when it comes to food, for
the most part I stick with the big names brands. When I have
tried generic, store brands, or lesser name brands they are
generally inferior. Take frozen peas for example. Or any
frozen vegetables. They are never as nice as Bird's Eye.
There was one store brand of canned kidney beans that I preferred
to the name brands when I was living in Calif. Also if I'm buying
canned veggies (mostly corn, in my case) I buy either Delmonte
or Green Giant. I recently tried Libby because it was on sale
and it sucked. As for things like cleaning products - I tend to
stick to the big name brands on stuff like laundry detergent
and dishwashing detergent where it matters more, but for cleaning
floors, etc., I'm more willing to use generics, etc.
And paper products are another area where the name brands are
much better for the most part. I buy cheap generic small
paper plates to feed my cats on, but if I'm having a party
I get the name brand stuff. And the generic tp, paper towels,
and facial tissues are not very good.

Kate

Andy[_2_] 08-02-2006 07:28 PM

Brand name vs generic

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

>> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
>> names. Some are even better.

Once, I bought the generic Acme creamcheese once and used a couple
tablespoons and it sat in the fridge wrapped correctly and in it's box
for a week. When I went to use it again, it was covered with blue-purple
mold. Philly creamcheese never did that.Gross. I'll never buy Acme
(Alberton's) generic brand anything ever again.

That's my take on that. ;)

If my blood pressure prescribed medicine came in a generic, I'd jump on
it and just as usual test my BP and see if it holds steady. That's a
quality control issue, I'd say.

Andy

Arthur Shapiro 08-02-2006 08:34 PM

Brand name vs generic

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

>Once, I bought the generic Acme creamcheese once and used a couple
>tablespoons and it sat in the fridge wrapped correctly and in it's box
>for a week. When I went to use it again, it was covered with blue-purple
>mold. Philly creamcheese never did that

Is it possible that the big-name Philadelphia cream cheese is more heavily
laden with preservatives and carcinogens??? (it certainly is a lot more
expensive!)

Art

Bob Myers 08-02-2006 09:22 PM

Brand name vs generic

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Cuz I hate when my finger goes through.

Toilet paper is the original Personal Digital Assistant; you
can't argue with the fact that its purpose is very personal, and
it's definitely assisting your digits...

Bob M.

Bob Myers 08-02-2006 09:30 PM

Brand name vs generic

"Tara" > wrote in message
> >Del Monte makes some of the Wal-Mart soups. They also make a lot of
> >other store brand soups.

> How do you find out the manufacturer of various store brands? I buy
> many store brands and I'd be interested to learn where they are made.

There's no guarantee that the supplier of store brands
remains constant over the long haul. That's part of what
enables such things to be less expensive than "regular"
brands - the chain in question is basically asking for bids
on products made to such-and-such a spec on the open
market, without any concerns about national marketing
costs, etc., associated with the product itself, and relying
on excess capacity (in terms of both raw materials and
processing) being available to fill those orders. As long
as the chain gets, say, creamed corn that meets its
requirements (whatever those might be), it doesn't matter
a bit if the MegaHyperMart brand cans contain product
from Del Monte this month, and Green Giant the next.
They might tend to get into longer-term relationships
with some suppliers for some products, but this is
certainly not assured.

Bob M.

wff_ng_7 09-02-2006 05:27 PM

Brand name vs generic

"Marie" > wrote:
> "wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
>> dishwashing liquid

> What generic dishwashing liquid have you found to be better? The only
> name-brands I buy are Dawn, Purina dogfood(generic cat food but Purina for
> my dog is the only thing I've found to not give her the shits) and Scot
> tp.
> I haven't been able to find any dishwashing liquid that works like Dawn
> does, but I'd really love to be able to cut the cost there, also.

I don't know if I'd call it better, but certainly as good as. I use Safeway
Select Ultra dishwashing liquid. I have tried some other store brands from
other supermarkets, and some of them definitely weren't worth their low
price. This one I find is.

> To speak my opinion on the subject...people waste so much money buying
> only
> name-brand and imo it's ignorant. I have a family member (NOT in my home!)
> who will only eat Lucky Charms, and drink only Pepsi or Coke brand drinks.
> No generic cereal or drinks for him. I know people who will only eat
> Sunbeam
> bread and for some reason, things like that **** me off. Brand snob
> indeed.
> Well then don't whine to me about your financial problems!

I agree on the brand name thing. If there is an equivalent quality generic
at a lower price, I'll always buy it. Often brand names will be on sale, at
below the generic price. That's when I'll get them. But I'll try and wait
for the store brand to go on sale at an even lower price instead if I know
that is a good possiblity.

It's amazing how much one can save by careful, planned shopping. I used to
shop on the spur of the moment when I ran out of things. Now I tend to keep
at least one item ahead on non-perishable items. When I use up my stock or
am close to doing so, the item goes on the shopping list. It then stays on
the list until the item goes on sale, or when I am totally out. On most
items, they go on sale on regular cycles, and I can usually take advantage
of that. I also plan my menus around what is in season and on sale. If it's
a good pie apple on sale, I'll make an apple pie. If mangoes are on sale,
I'll get those rather than bananas for fruit on cereal for a change of pace.
If there's a deal on grapes vs. pears, I'll get those for snacking. Being
flexible can save a lot of money. My supermarket marks the regular and sale
prices on the receipts, and provides a total savings. I tend to feel ripped
off if my total isn't at least 30% off! ;-) I can't imagine buying full
price and not taking advantage of sales. I think it's especially dangerous
to walk into a store with nothing particular in mind (no shopping list) and
just make impulse purchases that you might encounter. Aside from the
financial aspect, it's a formula for having weight problems too.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Default User 09-02-2006 07:02 PM

Brand name vs generic

Marie wrote:

> "wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> > dishwashing liquid

> What generic dishwashing liquid have you found to be better? The only
> name-brands I buy are Dawn, Purina dogfood(generic cat food but
> Purina for my dog is the only thing I've found to not give her the
> shits) and Scot tp. I haven't been able to find any dishwashing
> liquid that works like Dawn does, but I'd really love to be able to
> cut the cost there, also. To speak my opinion on the
> subject...people waste so much money buying only name-brand and imo
> it's ignorant.

I like this attitude. "Everybody who buys name brands is an idiot,
except for me!!!! The ones I'm slavishly devoted to make sense!!!!!
Yours don't!!!!!!!!"

Brian

won't shut up.

Jude 09-02-2006 08:05 PM

Brand name vs generic

Uh-oh.....the subject has been brought up. Brand loyalty in soda pop.
I'm SURE that's a strong one.

I love coca-cola classic, but can't afford the calories. I drink diet
coke with lime. My BF drinks diet cherry coke. We're experimenting with
the new diet black cherry vanilla, but it basically tastes like dr
pepper. He likes Pepsi for his regular sugared cola.

My daughter likes A&W root beer and cream soda, and likes Sprite or
Sierra Mist better than 7-Up.

Ginger ale should be vernor's if possible; schweppes and canada dry are
both a soda that doesn't taste gingery tpo me.

[email protected] 09-02-2006 08:28 PM

Brand name vs generic

In England Tesco Real Mayonnaise is almost as good as Helmans!!!

Sheldon 09-02-2006 10:04 PM

Brand name vs generic

Curly Sue wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2006 18:08:10 -0800, "Switch" >
> wrote:
>
> >Generic sux
> >

> For many things, yes. I can't compromise on frozen vegetables. I've
> tried store brand and it's always sent me back to Green Giant.

I think Birds Eye is just as good as the Greenie and his Weenie Sprout.
But generally I find those big name brands only better for specialty
items, like Oriental stir fry mixes, but for plain frozen veggies, like
spinach, broccoli, green beans, corn, and all leafy greens like kale,
collards, mustard... there I see no difference between the big names
and the store brands, except price. And there has to be a zillion
varieties/brands of frozen potato products.. with most I see no
difference between store brand and say Ore-Ida.

Edwin Pawlowski 10-02-2006 05:11 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Marie" > wrote in message
> )
> I know people who will only eat Sunbeam
> bread and for some reason, things like that **** me off. Brand snob
> indeed.
> Well then don't whine to me about your financial problems!

Sunbeam is barely better than Wonder. I eat home made, good bakery bread, or
if I do buy packaged, it is Pepperidge Farms. No, I'm not a snob, but most
white breads are really crap.

Sam's cola is as good as Coke, but I've not found any that compete with
Pepsi, my favorite cola. Ginger Ale, I happen to like the store brand as
much or more than the big names. Generic is fine for many things, but some
brand names really are better. If I can't have the brand I want, I'd rather
not have any. The brand I want may be a generic or store brand too.

Marie[_1_] 10-02-2006 05:13 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Default User" > wrote in message
> I like this attitude. "Everybody who buys name brands is an idiot,
> except for me!!!! The ones I'm slavishly devoted to make sense!!!!!
> Yours don't!!!!!!!!"

I guess I wasn't clear. There are people who only buy name-brand products,
and will not stoop to buying generic. That's what I was talking about.
Marie

Dave Smith[_1_] 10-02-2006 05:51 AM

Brand name vs generic

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Marie" > wrote in message
> > )
> > I know people who will only eat Sunbeam
> > bread and for some reason, things like that **** me off. Brand snob
> > indeed.
> > Well then don't whine to me about your financial problems!

> Sunbeam is barely better than Wonder. I eat home made, good bakery bread, or
> if I do buy packaged, it is Pepperidge Farms. No, I'm not a snob, but most
> white breads are really crap.

LOL Preferring something , anything, to Wonderbread is not being a food snob. I
was raised on home made bread and have an a bakery in town where I can buy
excellent Italian bread. I keep some sliced whole wheat in the freezer to make
sandwiches and as an emergency bread supply. I get the stuff from the grocery
store bakery or a better quality manufactured bread.
Hell would freeze over before I ever bought Wonderbread, and I don't care how
much cheaper it is. It isn't bread.

> Sam's cola is as good as Coke, but I've not found any that compete with
> Pepsi, my favorite cola.

I rarely drink colas, but my preference is Pepsi.

> Ginger Ale, I happen to like the store brand as
> much or more than the big names. Generic is fine for many things, but some
> brand names really are better. If I can't have the brand I want, I'd rather
> not have any. The brand I want may be a generic or store brand too.

My wife claims that the store brand / generic soda water is not as good as
Canada Dry or Schwepps. I am not crazy about their flavoured soda pops, but I
really can't tell any difference with Soda water.

Dave Smith[_1_] 10-02-2006 05:56 AM

Brand name vs generic

Marie wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > I like this attitude. "Everybody who buys name brands is an idiot,
> > except for me!!!! The ones I'm slavishly devoted to make sense!!!!!
> > Yours don't!!!!!!!!"

> I guess I wasn't clear. There are people who only buy name-brand products,
> and will not stoop to buying generic. That's what I was talking about.
> Marie

People are idiots. People will buy name brands out of some sense of loyalty,
even when they taste and prefer other products. It makes no sense.

Look at the New Coke incident. Coke was losing market share to Pepsi. They
conducted blind taste tests and found that people preferred Pepsi. So they
came up with New Coke, Coca Cola that tasted more like Pepsi. Consumers
rebelled and insisted that they preferred the old Coke. So Coca Cola got rid
of the New Coke, brought back the old recipe and called it Coke Classic, and
their sales rose. It was a marketed fiasco that turned into a windfall for
them.

Default User 10-02-2006 07:10 PM

Brand name vs generic

Marie wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > I like this attitude. "Everybody who buys name brands is an idiot,
> > except for me!!!! The ones I'm slavishly devoted to make sense!!!!!
> > Yours don't!!!!!!!!"

> I guess I wasn't clear. There are people who only buy name-brand
> products, and will not stoop to buying generic. That's what I was
> talking about. Marie

Then why did you "call out" people because they had brand preferences
for soda and bread?

Brian

won't shut up.

11-02-2006 10:44 PM

Brand name vs generic

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:13:47 -0500, "Marie" > wrote:

>"Default User" > wrote in message
>> I like this attitude. "Everybody who buys name brands is an idiot,
>> except for me!!!! The ones I'm slavishly devoted to make sense!!!!!
>> Yours don't!!!!!!!!"

>I guess I wasn't clear. There are people who only buy name-brand products,
>and will not stoop to buying generic. That's what I was talking about.
>Marie

There was a time when "store brand" was really second--rate.
and "generic" was often "third-rate.
Does anyone still sell products with those plain-whjite government labels ?

<rj>

Marie[_1_] 12-02-2006 06:17 AM

Brand name vs generic

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> There was a time when "store brand" was really second--rate.
> and "generic" was often "third-rate.
> Does anyone still sell products with those plain-whjite government labels

?

I don't even know what you are talking about. I've seen others in this
thread refer to those labels. Must have been before my time.
Marie

Spuddie 12-02-2006 02:15 PM

Brand name vs generic

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:17:20 -0500 while whitewashing the broccoli
"Marie" > tossed a caber at the lizard while
remarking:
>"<RJ>" > wrote in message

>> Does anyone still sell products with those plain-whjite government labels

>?
>
>I don't even know what you are talking about. I've seen others in this
>thread refer to those labels. Must have been before my time.
>Marie

You must be quite young. :) I've seen them as recently as 4-5 years
ago but haven't been in the store where they were sold for that long.
I've also seen them as plain yellow labels with black lettering that
would just say "Peas," or "Kidney beans" on them.

Cheryl
~~~Cooking lesson #1: don't fry bacon in the nude~~~

Bill[_1_] 12-02-2006 03:11 PM

Brand name vs generic

wrote:

>Generic sux

A pharmacist once told me that "generic" means the pill that you are
buying is precisely and exactly the same chemical formulation as the
name brand pill.

On the other hand, if you are in the grocery store and you select the
"housebrand" as an equal to a "namebrand" product you may be
disappointed. There is no assumption that the housebrand dish
detergent is formulated the same as the namebrand and they can "water
down" the house brand to make more profits!

I bet alot of you careful shoppers have noticed the "tricks" the
manufacturers are playing with sizes of packages and so forth! You
have to be careful...it's dangerous to your pocketbook!

Bill

Edwin Pawlowski 12-02-2006 05:48 PM

Brand name vs generic

"Bill" > wrote in message
> On the other hand, if you are in the grocery store and you select the
> "housebrand" as an equal to a "namebrand" product you may be
> disappointed. There is no assumption that the housebrand dish
> detergent is formulated the same as the namebrand and they can "water
> down" the house brand to make more profits!

This is true, but sometimes the house brand is actually better than the name
brand. You do have to read labels and sometimes take a little risk to find
out.

Switch, MD/PhD 15-02-2006 01:06 PM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
> Switch wrote:
> > sarah bennett wrote:
> >

> >>but why pay a dollar a year when you can pay 3.75 cents a year?

Ok, I hate to spin this again, but this is conclusive proof!

I was visiting a friend who introduced me to one her their friends...

We got on the subject of Ensure and other dietary supplements, come to
find out the man works at a packaging plant, they actually bottle or
package Ensure...

they also package the CVS brand of dietary supplement. He told me face
to face, it is the same exact ingredients...nothing changes but the
packaging. The packaging is alot cheaper. we talked about just how
cheap the packaging is for the CVS version of ensure...

But please, no gloating. hehe

Im confused now, I would just die if I opened a can of beans and they
didn't all match!
GASP

cathyxyz 15-02-2006 07:01 PM

Brand name vs generic

Switch, MD/PhD wrote:

> Ok, I hate to spin this again, but this is conclusive proof!
>
> I was visiting a friend who introduced me to one her their friends...
>
> We got on the subject of Ensure and other dietary supplements, come to
> find out the man works at a packaging plant, they actually bottle or
> package Ensure...
>
> they also package the CVS brand of dietary supplement. He told me face
> to face, it is the same exact ingredients...nothing changes but the
> packaging. The packaging is alot cheaper. we talked about just how
> cheap the packaging is for the CVS version of ensure...
>
> But please, no gloating. hehe

How'bout you post a recipe for "crow". Must be an original one tho'
(wouldn't want you to be accused of plagiarism, now would we?) and a
pic of you actually eating said crow would be nice too ;)

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Switch, MD/PhD 16-02-2006 02:11 AM

Brand name vs generic

cathyxyz wrote:
> How'bout you post a recipe for "crow". Must be an original one tho'
> (wouldn't want you to be accused of plagiarism, now would we?) and a
> pic of you actually eating said crow would be nice too ;)

sure!

You start with a normal frozen pie shell
put 2 whole pre-plucked crows in the shell
(make sure you chop the lips and feet off first)

add

1 Can of Green Giant Adzuki Beans
1 Can Del Monte Prickly Pears

dice up some Wax Gourd and Jicama and put it on there too
some people prefer Turnips in the dice mix..I don't like them on my
crow pie
sprinkle sprinkle on 1 cup of Kraft shredded mozzerella
(stir it just a little bit)

meanwhile...beat up 5 Egglands Best eggs get them nice and frothy.
let them chill for a few mins before pouring them over the crow pie.

sprinkle a small handful of marjoram seed

--
this is an open face pie!
--

Finally! preheat the oven to 269 deg, slide the pie in and let it bake
for an hour

--
http://www.seeing-stars.com/Images/S...Hitchcock).JPG

cathyxyz 16-02-2006 07:58 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch, MD/PhD wrote:
> cathyxyz wrote:
>> How'bout you post a recipe for "crow". Must be an original one tho'
>> (wouldn't want you to be accused of plagiarism, now would we?) and a
>> pic of you actually eating said crow would be nice too ;)

> sure!
>
> You start with a normal frozen pie shell...

<snipped "yummy sounding" recipe> ;)

LOL

--
Cheers