Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Custard Pudding AKA Galaktoboureko

For those of you are like phyllo and feel comfortable
working with it, this is one of my all time favourite
desserts. I put off making it for a long time because the
recipe that I found for it serves 18. With only two of us in
the house, and due to the rich nature of the beast, I was
afraid to make it for a long time. I finally made some last
year in because I had some Phyllo that needed to be used up.
I sent some over to my brothers and he called back later
raving about it. When he was here for dinner last week he
was still raving about it and said that it was the best
dessert he had had in his life. I got some phyllo pastry
yesterday and am making some today. It is in the oven right
now, and it smells great. Her is the recipe:

Galaktaboureko

Syrup:
2 cups Sugar
3 cups water
1 cinnamon stick 2"
peel of one orange or lemon

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then
reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and
cool.

Custard:

6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups scalded milk
1 cup Semolina (or Cream of Wheat)
1 tsp. Vanilla

Scald milk in a large saucepan. Beat egg yolks with sugar
until pale yellow. Temper the egg mixture with some hot milk
and then add the eggs to the saucepan. Add semolina and cook
for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and let
cool

Pastry:
1 lb phyllo
1 cup clarified butter

Lay 8 sheets into a 13x9x2 pan, allowing excess to drape
over the sides and brushing each layer with butter. Make
sure to keep the pile of phyllo covered with a damp cloth.
Spread the cooled filling evenly over the pastry in the
pan. Cut the remaining sheets of phyllo to fit the pan and
lay them on top of the filling, brushing each sheet with
butter. Cut through the top 4-5 layers of phyllo into
serving size. Apply a few drops of water on the top and
cook in a 350 F oven for 60 minutes.

Remove the custard from the oven and pour half of the syrup
over the top and allow a few minutes for it to be absorbed.
Then pour the rest of the syrup over it. Allow it to cook
uncovered 4-5 hours, then cut through into serving pieces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Remove the custard from the oven and pour half of the syrup
> over the top and allow a few minutes for it to be absorbed.
> Then pour the rest of the syrup over it. Allow it to cook
> uncovered 4-5 hours, then cut through into serving pieces.

It does sound wonderful. Whan you said "Allow it to cook
uncovered 4-5 hours" did you mean "cool" instead of cook?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> > Remove the custard from the oven and pour half of the syrup
> > over the top and allow a few minutes for it to be absorbed.
> > Then pour the rest of the syrup over it. Allow it to cook
> > uncovered 4-5 hours, then cut through into serving pieces.
> >

> It does sound wonderful. Whan you said "Allow it to cook
> uncovered 4-5 hours" did you mean "cool" instead of cook?

OOOPs.
You're right. My spell checker didn't catch that :-)

It should also have been titled Custard Pastry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:30:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>For those of you are like phyllo and feel comfortable
>working with it, this is one of my all time favourite
>desserts. I put off making it for a long time because the
>recipe that I found for it serves 18. With only two of us in
>the house, and due to the rich nature of the beast, I was
>afraid to make it for a long time. I finally made some last

> Galaktaboureko

It's a vanilla slice with syrup! Sounds yummy... you can NEVER have
too much vanilla slice

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG MG is offline

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> For those of you are like phyllo and feel comfortable
> working with it, this is one of my all time favourite
> desserts. I put off making it for a long time because the
> recipe that I found for it serves 18. With only two of us in
> the house, and due to the rich nature of the beast, I was
> afraid to make it for a long time. I finally made some last
> year in because I had some Phyllo that needed to be used up.
> I sent some over to my brothers and he called back later
> raving about it. When he was here for dinner last week he
> was still raving about it and said that it was the best
> dessert he had had in his life. I got some phyllo pastry
> yesterday and am making some today. It is in the oven right
> now, and it smells great. Her is the recipe:
>

> Galaktaboureko
>
> Syrup:
> 2 cups Sugar
> 3 cups water
> 1 cinnamon stick 2"
> peel of one orange or lemon
>
> Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then
> reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and
> cool.
>
> Custard:
>
> 6 egg yolks
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 6 cups scalded milk
> 1 cup Semolina (or Cream of Wheat)
> 1 tsp. Vanilla
>
> Scald milk in a large saucepan. Beat egg yolks with sugar
> until pale yellow. Temper the egg mixture with some hot milk
> and then add the eggs to the saucepan. Add semolina and cook
> for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and let
> cool
>
> Pastry:
> 1 lb phyllo
> 1 cup clarified butter
>
> Lay 8 sheets into a 13x9x2 pan, allowing excess to drape
> over the sides and brushing each layer with butter. Make
> sure to keep the pile of phyllo covered with a damp cloth.
> Spread the cooled filling evenly over the pastry in the
> pan. Cut the remaining sheets of phyllo to fit the pan and
> lay them on top of the filling, brushing each sheet with
> butter. Cut through the top 4-5 layers of phyllo into
> serving size. Apply a few drops of water on the top and
> cook in a 350 F oven for 60 minutes.
>
> Remove the custard from the oven and pour half of the syrup
> over the top and allow a few minutes for it to be absorbed.
> Then pour the rest of the syrup over it. Allow it to cook
> uncovered 4-5 hours, then cut through into serving pieces.

most galaktobureko (sp?) we have in Sth Australia (not sure about other
states) also has whipped, slightly sweetened cream spread over the top of
the slice (about 1-2cm or half inch) and sprinkled with chopped walnuts
before slicing and serving

they also make it with the shredded filo rather than the filo sheets

yummy, and the cream cuts a bit of the sweetness
Maria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> For those of you are like phyllo and feel comfortable
> working with it, this is one of my all time favourite
> desserts. I put off making it for a long time because the
> recipe that I found for it serves 18. With only two of us in
> the house, and due to the rich nature of the beast, I was
> afraid to make it for a long time. I finally made some last
> year in because I had some Phyllo that needed to be used up.
> I sent some over to my brothers and he called back later
> raving about it. When he was here for dinner last week he
> was still raving about it and said that it was the best
> dessert he had had in his life. I got some phyllo pastry
> yesterday and am making some today. It is in the oven right
> now, and it smells great. Her is the recipe:

I think I made something like this around a million years ago. But I
remember this and any actual vanilla slices I've ever made, I can never cut
through properly, the inside tries to squish out everywhere. Any clever
ideas? Or is my knife just not sharp enough.

Jen