General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

Hello people

A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something
like that. (I can't seem to find it around here) Anyway, I really
liked how the olive oil tasted like it had olives in it. I guess I
would say a similar taste to olives you find in olive bread. I've tried
a bunch of other olive oils, but they never quite had the taste I was
looking for.

The olive oils I have tried recently we

Asti (I guess the regular kind) - kind of fresh and fruity
California Olive Ranch Arbrosama - kind of too sharp and raw tasting,
reminds me of paint, burns if left in mouth for too long
California Olive Ranch Estate Blend - intermediate
California Olive Ranch Arbequina - light and buttery. Maybe too light.
Trader Joes (something something) - very green and bitter tasting

anyway, none of these oils had quite the flavor I was looking for. I
guess I am looking for something that makes bread dipped in it taste
like olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?). And by that olive
taste, I don't mean very sharp, nor bitter.

Any recommendations for a brand of oil?

Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,180
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


alan wrote:
> Hello people
>
> A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
> oil there.


What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil, preferably
from Italy.
-L.

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,583
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

In article >,
alan > wrote:

> A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
> oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something
> like that. (I can't seem to find it around here)


Where's "here"? I'm in Minneapolis and there a NVG at the Mall of
America. There are also a few Italian grocery stores and delis nearby:
Brianno's in Eagan, Buon Italia in Mendota (?), and Cossetta's in St.
Paul. I don't know if Delmonico's is still doing business in NE
Minneapolis since both George and Louie died. I hope so. Also, might
call NVG and ask (so you can write it down) again and ask them where
they get theirs.

> like olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?).


Tapenade. Close enough.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

"alan" > wrote in message
...
> Hello people
>
> A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
> oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something like
> that. (I can't seem to find it around here) Anyway, I really liked how
> the olive oil tasted like it had olives in it. I guess I would say a
> similar taste to olives you find in olive bread. I've tried a bunch of
> other olive oils, but they never quite had the taste I was looking for.
>
> The olive oils I have tried recently we
>
> Asti (I guess the regular kind) - kind of fresh and fruity
> California Olive Ranch Arbrosama - kind of too sharp and raw tasting,
> reminds me of paint, burns if left in mouth for too long
> California Olive Ranch Estate Blend - intermediate
> California Olive Ranch Arbequina - light and buttery. Maybe too light.
> Trader Joes (something something) - very green and bitter tasting
>
> anyway, none of these oils had quite the flavor I was looking for. I
> guess I am looking for something that makes bread dipped in it taste like
> olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?). And by that olive taste, I
> don't mean very sharp, nor bitter.
>
> Any recommendations for a brand of oil?
>
> Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.


I think you are asking too much. Some OO does indeed taste like olives but
in a much more subtle way than tapenade or having olives embedded in the
bread. My favorite for a fruity-olive tasting oil is Don Luigi. It is
organic, first press from Sicily and best of all it is CHEAP! You can order
it from Teitel Brothers (http://www.teitelbros.com/). I buy a gallon for $22
and divvy it up in clean wine bottles. Great stuff.

Peter Aitken




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:05:45 -0800, alan
> replied:
[snip olive oils from California]
> Any recommendations for a brand of oil?


There are many more brands to sample! Have you tried any of the
Spanish OO? Of the brands you have tried, were they EVOO or other
pressings? What type of bread have you been dipping in them? What
have you accompanied these OO with (food and drink)? How close are
you to the SFBayArea? Do you have any ethnic grocers or delis near
you? Are you looking for oils without heavy bouquets, more subtle
flavors? Do you favor cold-pressed oils?

Just some other things to help narrow down the choices.

> Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.


No need to apologize! It was a legit question and will hopefully
spur you on to posting reviews of other OO.

BTW: Could you go into more details with the four you posted? I
have two of them (unopened) and am very curious about that "tastes
like paint" one...

The Ranger
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." >
replied:
[snip]
> What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
> preferably from Italy.


Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
fun.

The Ranger
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news
> On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." >
> replied:
> [snip]
>> What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>> preferably from Italy.

>
> Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
> high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
> fun.
>


And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.


--
Peter Aitken


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

When i was in california last summer, I found the Colavita extra virgin
olive oil (Made in USA) very close to the oil i use here in Italy.
You could also try Monini "Gentle" for a nice fruity flavour or for
something a bit stronger Bertolli Extra virgin.
I saw them all at Albertsons grocery
In San Diego's Little Italy, there is much more....
Ciao
Guido

--
__________________________________________
http://www.yummyfood.net
Quick and easy international recipes

"alan" > ha scritto nel messaggio
...
> Hello people
>
> A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
> oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something like
> that. (I can't seem to find it around here) Anyway, I really liked how
> the olive oil tasted like it had olives in it. I guess I would say a
> similar taste to olives you find in olive bread. I've tried a bunch of
> other olive oils, but they never quite had the taste I was looking for.
>
> The olive oils I have tried recently we
>
> Asti (I guess the regular kind) - kind of fresh and fruity
> California Olive Ranch Arbrosama - kind of too sharp and raw tasting,
> reminds me of paint, burns if left in mouth for too long
> California Olive Ranch Estate Blend - intermediate
> California Olive Ranch Arbequina - light and buttery. Maybe too light.
> Trader Joes (something something) - very green and bitter tasting
>
> anyway, none of these oils had quite the flavor I was looking for. I
> guess I am looking for something that makes bread dipped in it taste like
> olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?). And by that olive taste, I
> don't mean very sharp, nor bitter.
>
> Any recommendations for a brand of oil?
>
> Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.



  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> replied:
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message news
> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
> > [snip]
> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
> > > preferably from Italy.
> > >

> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
> > fun.
> >

> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>

I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
(Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
with imports and tariffs...

Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
search is at present limitless.

The Ranger


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,523
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


The Ranger wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > replied:
>
> > And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
> >

> I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
> Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
> (Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
> with imports and tariffs...


Trader Joe's has a Greek EVOO, imported by Martinis, called Kalamata
that is just what the OP is looking for. Great taste. -aem

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 55
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

The Ranger a écrit :

> Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC


The People's Republic of China? I don't think so....

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 55
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

Peter Huebner a écrit :

> Lupi Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed. (Italian)


A recent investigation into extra virgin olive oils by L'épicerie, a
food consumer program at Radio-Canada, has revealed that to say that
Extra Virgin is cold pressed is not to add any information as all extra
virgin oil is cold pressed nowadays. It is no longer a significant
term.

The proof is simple. You won't find one that isn't.

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,523
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


alsandor wrote:
> The Ranger a écrit :
>
> > Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC

>
> The People's Republic of China? I don't think so....


Canada.

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
...
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > replied:
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
>> > [snip]
>> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>> > > preferably from Italy.
>> > >
>> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
>> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
>> > fun.
>> >

>> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>

> I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
> Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
> (Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
> with imports and tariffs...
>
> Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
> search is at present limitless.
>
> The Ranger


Newman's Own OO is from Tunisia, quite good.


--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm




  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


"alan" > wrote in message
...
> Hello people
>
>
> Any recommendations for a brand of oil?
>


I am enamored at the moment with McEvoy from California. Super delicious, a
little expensive, but what the hey!

Charlie


  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


"guido" > wrote in message
...
> When i was in california last summer, I found the Colavita extra virgin
> olive oil (Made in USA) very close to the oil i use here in Italy.
> You could also try Monini "Gentle" for a nice fruity flavour or for
> something a bit stronger Bertolli Extra virgin.
> I saw them all at Albertsons grocery
> In San Diego's Little Italy, there is much more....
> Ciao
> Guido
>


Ciao Guido! Colavita from California is indeed a good olive oil. It is my
standard EV olive oil these days. I use either Bertoli or a Lebanese EV if I
am cooking with it. If I want superior taste in smaller amounts I bring
forth the McEvoy also from California. There are so many good olive oils
available in Little Italy here in Sandy Eggo that I am always trying new
ones. I must have at least 6 different brands in my pantry at the moment. I
tend to like those from the area of Luca.

Charlie


  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

"aem" > wrote in news:1138734775.558050.84150
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> alsandor wrote:
>> The Ranger a écrit :
>>
>> > Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC

>>
>> The People's Republic of China? I don't think so....

>
> Canada.


Olive farms, in Canada? You'll have more luck finding them in China
:-)

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On 31 Jan 2006 10:56:47 -0800, "alsandor" >
replied:
>The Ranger a écrit :
>> Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC


>The People's Republic of China? I don't think so....


Michel-

You are such a ****tard. I hope you die a very painful death
complete with futile screaming and gnashing of teeth.

The Ranger
==
[Our] butchers used to say the only thing on an animal they
couldn't recycle was the squeal of a pig and the moo of a cow.
strider, afb, 10/Jul/2005
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:24:45 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> replied:
>"The Ranger" > wrote in message ...
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken" > replied:
>>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message news >>> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
>>> > [snip]
>>> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>>> > > preferably from Italy.
>>> > >
>>> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
>>> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
>>> > fun.
>>> >
>>> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>>

>> I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
>> Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
>> (Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
>> with imports and tariffs...
>>
>> Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
>> search is at present limitless.
>>

>Newman's Own OO is from Tunisia, quite good.


Okay. Thanks for the lead. I can get that at my local super.

The Ranger


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

alan > wrote in news:43df1a5d$0$58063
:

> Hello people
>
> A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good

olive
> oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something
> like that. (I can't seem to find it around here) Anyway, I really
> liked how the olive oil tasted like it had olives in it. I guess I
> would say a similar taste to olives you find in olive bread. I've

tried
> a bunch of other olive oils, but they never quite had the taste I was
> looking for.
>
> The olive oils I have tried recently we
>
> Asti (I guess the regular kind) - kind of fresh and fruity
> California Olive Ranch Arbrosama - kind of too sharp and raw tasting,
> reminds me of paint, burns if left in mouth for too long
> California Olive Ranch Estate Blend - intermediate
> California Olive Ranch Arbequina - light and buttery. Maybe too light.
> Trader Joes (something something) - very green and bitter tasting
>
> anyway, none of these oils had quite the flavor I was looking for. I
> guess I am looking for something that makes bread dipped in it taste
> like olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?). And by that olive
> taste, I don't mean very sharp, nor bitter.
>
> Any recommendations for a brand of oil?
>
> Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.


Spitiko

--
---
Charles Quinn

"Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 431
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:14:45 -0800, The Ranger
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> replied:
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message news
>> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
>> > [snip]
>> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>> > > preferably from Italy.
>> > >
>> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
>> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is half the
>> > fun.
>> >

>> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>

>I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
>Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
>(Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
>with imports and tariffs...
>
>Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
>search is at present limitless.
>
>The Ranger



Trader Joe's used to carry one - from Kalamata olives no less. So
there you were.


jim

  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:05:30 -0800, ensenadajim
> replied:
>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:14:45 -0800, The Ranger > wrote:
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken" > replied:
>>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message news >>> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
>>> > [snip]
>>> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>>> > > preferably from Italy.
>>> > >
>>> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
>>> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is
>>> > half the fun.
>>> >
>>> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>>

>>I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
>>Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
>>(Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
>>with imports and tariffs...
>>
>>Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
>>search is at present limitless.
>>

>Trader Joe's used to carry one - from Kalamata olives no less. So
>there you were.


Indeed. I remember seeing it but not noticing it. There's only so
much you can take in at TJ's without going into sensory
overload...

The Ranger
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> alan > wrote:
>
>
>>A few days ago, I went to a Napa Valley Grille and had a very good olive
>>oil there. The waitress said it was called "Bambalino" or something
>>like that. (I can't seem to find it around here)

>
>
> Where's "here"? I'm in Minneapolis and there a NVG at the Mall of


SF bay area, CA

> America. There are also a few Italian grocery stores and delis nearby:
> Brianno's in Eagan, Buon Italia in Mendota (?), and Cossetta's in St.
> Paul. I don't know if Delmonico's is still doing business in NE
> Minneapolis since both George and Louie died. I hope so. Also, might
> call NVG and ask (so you can write it down) again and ask them where
> they get theirs.
>

I called again, and this time they said that they got it straight from
an importer, so you can't buy it.


>
>>like olive bread, or bread with tapanade (sp?).

>
>
> Tapenade. Close enough.

  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

The Ranger wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:05:45 -0800, alan
> > replied:
> [snip olive oils from California]
>
>>Any recommendations for a brand of oil?

>
>
> There are many more brands to sample! Have you tried any of the
> Spanish OO?


No. I was warned that OO from that region tends to be more acidic.


> Of the brands you have tried, were they EVOO or other
> pressings?


Usually EV

> What type of bread have you been dipping in them? What


Batard, Levian

> have you accompanied these OO with (food and drink)? How close are


So far, I have only be using bread

> you to the SFBayArea?


Yes, I live is SF bay area.

> Do you have any ethnic grocers or delis near
> you? Are you looking for oils without heavy bouquets, more subtle
> flavors? Do you favor cold-pressed oils?


Ummm, I don't know. I don't really care, except that I would like it to
taste like cooked olives.

>
> Just some other things to help narrow down the choices.
>
>
>>Sorry, I am an olive oil newb.

>
>
> No need to apologize! It was a legit question and will hopefully
> spur you on to posting reviews of other OO.
>
> BTW: Could you go into more details with the four you posted? I
> have two of them (unopened) and am very curious about that "tastes
> like paint" one...
>
> The Ranger



Well, I can't really say with much detail. The "tastes like paint" one
is California Olive Ranch Arbrosama. My Italian buddy, who knows more
about foods than I do, likes it a lot. Anyway, I would say that this
oil is on the stronger side. Right when you put it in your mouth, you
notice a kind of strong, solventy sensation. For me it reminds me of
smelling paint. Maybe you could say it is from the more "sharp"
sensation of something raw. (Not quite the same as tasting "green") I
would also say that it is "almost bitter", but not bitter to the point
of being bad. Finally, if you leave it in your mouth for longer than
~15 seconds, it causes a burning sensation in the back of your throat.
My Italian buddy sez something about saliva breaking something down and
something something. Anyway, I don't like that sensation at all. (He
sez it is normal, though) As long as you don't leave it in your mouth,
or eat too much at once, it should be ok. I had some today, and I
thought it was all right. I think it's a good oil to use with bread if
you are eating other foods at the same time, especially foods that numb
the palette. (I was eating something spicy). This OO is strong enough
that you can still taste it. When I last had an OO taste comparison,
the ranking of this oil kept rising as I switched back and forth bewteen
oils. By the end of the taste test, I had a hard time tasting the other
oils. (I didn't do any of that palette cleansing stuff)

As for the California Olive Ranch (CRO) Arbequina, it was the first
"good" olive oil that I noticed. (I haven't paid much attention
before). AT first I liked it because it had a nice light, buttery,
fruity(?) flavor that made it very pleasant going down. However, as
time goes on, I am liking it a bit less. It might be too wimpy except
to only eat with bread and nothing else. I went thru my bottle pretty
fast coz I found myself soaking my bread in it to get any flavor. And
by the end, you've eaten too much OO, and have kind of an oily sensation
in your mouth. I don't think this OO is bad at all, but I think I
prefer something stronger.

I guess the CRO blended one is kind of intermediate between the above
two. I'm not good at describing how things taste, e.g. hint of apple
and all that other crap. I guess I would say it tastes like how you
expect olive oil to taste, minus the taste of cooked olives that I was
looking for. I'm not sure how to describe it's "goodness", but it
doesn't have any of the negatives of the above two. Medium in strength,
maybe.

The Asti one I have turns out not to be the "California" version that my
Italian buddy sez is the good one. It is also probably medium strength.
My Italian buddy sez it is not as good as any of the CRO's. without
being descriptive, I thought it was "fine", and different than the CRO
blend. Maybe it was not as good.


  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

aem wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> replied:
>>
>>
>>>And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>>

>>
>>I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
>>Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
>>(Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
>>with imports and tariffs...

>
>
> Trader Joe's has a Greek EVOO, imported by Martinis, called Kalamata
> that is just what the OP is looking for. Great taste. -aem
>


I bought that today, and I don't think it is what I am looking for. Of
all the oils I have tried recently, this is the weakest. I wouldn't say
that it has the "cooked olive" taste that I was looking for. Maybe you
were talking about a different one? This was $7 for a 1 liter bottle.
I think I would use this as a cooking oil, but probably wouldn't eat it
plain. I mean, it's not bad, but the other OO's I have are more
flavorful. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I should probably try it
again to make sure...
  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "alan" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>Hello people
>>
>>
>>Any recommendations for a brand of oil?
>>

>
>
> I am enamored at the moment with McEvoy from California. Super delicious, a
> little expensive, but what the hey!
>
> Charlie
>
>


Hey, I actually saw this in a store at $20 for a dinky bottle. Does it
have that cooked olive taste I was talking about? Can you describe the
taste it more detail, especially compared to other oils? Thanks
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 431
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:16:03 -0800, The Ranger
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:05:30 -0800, ensenadajim
> replied:
>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:14:45 -0800, The Ranger > wrote:
>>>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:34:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken" > replied:
>>>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message news >>>> > On 31 Jan 2006 00:10:34 -0800, "-L." > replied:
>>>> > [snip]
>>>> > > What you are looking for is extra, extra virgin olive oil,
>>>> > > preferably from Italy.
>>>> > >
>>>> > Not necessarily... Spain and California produce some very
>>>> > high-quality EVOOs, too. Finding them through sampling is
>>>> > half the fun.
>>>> >
>>>> And Tunisia, Greece, Jordan ... the list goes on and on.
>>>>
>>>I haven't seen OO from those particular countries (particularly
>>>Greece), even at the places that offer a variety of great choices
>>>(Draeger's, Andronico's, Cosentino's). Might have something to do
>>>with imports and tariffs...
>>>
>>>Luckily there are olive farms spread throughout the PRC so my
>>>search is at present limitless.
>>>

>>Trader Joe's used to carry one - from Kalamata olives no less. So
>>there you were.

>
>Indeed. I remember seeing it but not noticing it. There's only so
>much you can take in at TJ's without going into sensory
>overload...
>


Too true.


jim

  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default looking for an olive oil that tastes like olives


"alan" > wrote in message
...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > >

> > I am enamored at the moment with McEvoy from California. Super

delicious, a
> > little expensive, but what the hey!
> >
> > Charlie

>
> Hey, I actually saw this in a store at $20 for a dinky bottle. Does it
> have that cooked olive taste I was talking about? Can you describe the
> taste it more detail, especially compared to other oils? Thanks


What you ask is impossible. A person who had sampled a lot of different
olive oils over a reasonable period would be able to understand olive oil
flavors. The flavors of EV olive oil are similar in complexity to good
vinegars and wines. I really have no idea what you mean by "cooked olive
taste". That sounds very wrong to me. EV olive oil should be fruity and have
a taste that is with a hint of "olive". Many olive oils have a "grassy"
taste. Many of the Sicilian and French EV oils are grassy in taste; these
are usually light in color. I prefer a darker colored and very fruity olive
oil.

The perception of taste is very individualistic. We all taste the oil
slightly differently. A good EV olive oil should never be acidic though.
Some of the more inexpensive olive oils taste more acidic than better ones
though by law they cannot actually contain much to be EV.

The McEvoy is very good. I use it for seasoning so I don't use large amounts
of it. For a good baseline EV olive oil to judge others by and therefore
find your own personal likes I suggest the easy to find Bertoli Extra-Virgin
you can get at any grocery store. It is good, inexpensive and moderately
between fruity and grassy in taste. As a baseline it is perfect.

Charlie


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
American hot dog tastes like cardboard ( Chinese food tastes like cardboard) [email protected] General Cooking 11 16-07-2007 10:31 AM
Olives (Kalamata/Greek): Store in Brine or Olive Oil? Gary Grathen Preserving 6 09-09-2005 06:27 PM
Olives (Kalamata/Greek): Store in Brine or Olive Oil? Gary Grathen General Cooking 8 08-09-2005 10:37 PM
Good California Olives or Olive Oil Richard M. Kennedy General Cooking 6 13-12-2003 10:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"