Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default REQ: Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

You're pulling our legs, right?

What did you pay for this?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

Then you bought the wrong cut of chuck, of all chuck cuts this is the
least favorable to prepare any other way but braised. The only other
cooking methods are to grind it for great burgers or trim away the
fat/bone and cut into thin strips or small cubes, marinate, and stir
fry.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutsbeef.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Donald Martinich

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

I do these fairly often. They're one of the better beef roast buys
around my part of the world (Sac. CA). Just season it and roast it at
325 to 350F. until it's where you like it on the rare-well continuum.
They are not as tender as filet, but if you slice thin they are just
fine. They are not fatty but still flavorful.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'd never heard of this beef cut prior to this post but a brief search
took me to the Cook's Thesaurus and this is what they have to say:

"cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast
= English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck
cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an
English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast
with dry heat."

It seems per Sheldon's recommendation that braising would be your best
bet. Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>> want.

> You're pulling our legs, right?

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for tender
meat. Is that impossible?

> What did you pay for this?

$2.99/lb.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 06:38:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Donald
Martinich?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>> want.

> I do these fairly often. They're one of the better beef roast buys
> around my part of the world (Sac. CA). Just season it and roast it at
> 325 to 350F. until it's where you like it on the rare-well continuum.
> They are not as tender as filet, but if you slice thin they are just
> fine. They are not fatty but still flavorful.
>
> D.M.

Thank you, Donald.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 06:47:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kevnbro?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut ? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>> want.

>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> I'd never heard of this beef cut prior to this post but a brief search
> took me to the Cook's Thesaurus and this is what they have to say:
>
> "cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast
> = English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck
> cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an
> English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast
> with dry heat."
>
> It seems per Sheldon's recommendation that braising would be your best
> bet. Kev

Yes, after a bit more googling, I'm inclined to agree. Slow, moist
cooking seems to be the answer, so pot roasting or braising it will be. I
think braising this time, as I didn't really want pot roast.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?
>
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> >> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
> >> cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
> >> want.

> > You're pulling our legs, right?

> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for tender
> meat. Is that impossible?

Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

> > What did you pay for this?

> $2.99/lb.

Sounds good to me.

I think your choices are to pot roast (braise it) or have tough meat.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message

>> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
>> tender
>> meat. Is that impossible?

> Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come over
and try my brisket sometime.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 09:37:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan
>> Abel?

>> > You're pulling our legs, right?

>> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
>> tender meat. Is that impossible?

> Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.
>

>> > What did you pay for this?

>> $2.99/lb.

> Sounds good to me.
>
> I think your choices are to pot roast (braise it) or have tough meat.

Thanks... I've been coming to that conclusion.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:14:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
>>> tender meat. Is that impossible?

>> Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

> Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
> There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come
> over and try my brisket sometime.

I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.

I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
best one for the cut of meat I bought.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
>know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
>
>TIA

I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop or
broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250°F, cover the pot and
cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
L'Espérance

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:14:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
> Pawlowski?

>>>Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

>>Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
>>There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come
>>over and try my brisket sometime.

> I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.
>
> I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
> associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
> etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
> best one for the cut of meat I bought.

There are a couple of ways I would do this cut of meat. As you
mentioned, pot roast style with the meat on the trinity sans potatoes
and cooked low and slow would give good results. Pressure cooking the
meat will give equally moist and tender results in a lot less time.
Either way the trinity is important for flavour and moisture. I
wouldn't add potatoes to the pot roast until near the end of the
roasting. Let them roast until cooked through then raise the temp to brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
>
> TIA

Cub's got those on sale for $2.58/lb this week, along with chuck blades
and eye rounds. From the chuck it will need moist heat.

You don't want pot roast, cut it in chunks and make stew. Pot roast in
another form. :-) How about Beef Bourguignonne? Stewed beef with
red wine. Cook the beef chunks and freeze in broth for later
transformation into something like -- beef stew, beef in gravy over rice
or noodles, fake stroganoff. (See a pattern here?)

http://tinyurl.com/e4ahe
EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)

Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
2 cans Golden mushroom soup
1 env. Lipton onion soup
1 c. burgundy wine
1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> >pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut?
> >know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
> >
> >TIA

> I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop or
> broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250°F, cover the pot and
> cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.

How long at 250, Susan? I usually do mine at 325 or 300 -- maybe 3-1/2
hours for a 3-4# slab. A couple sisters do them stovetop -- I've never
had success on top of the stove.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut? I
>> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

> You don't want pot roast, cut it in chunks and make stew. Pot roast in
> another form. :-) How about Beef Bourguignonne? Stewed beef with
> red wine. Cook the beef chunks and freeze in broth for later
> transformation into something like -- beef stew, beef in gravy over rice
> or noodles, fake stroganoff. (See a pattern here?)

I was thinking the same thing, though 4 pounds is a lot of stew cubes,
perhaps just freeze half of it whole for that use, later. Also wasn't sure
if Wayne doesn't want pot roast, would he want stew?

Why would you cook the cubes before freezing, just curious?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, The Cook
> > wrote:
>

>> On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just
>>> under four pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this
>>> into a fork-tender cut? I know I could make pot roast with it,
>>> but that's not what I want.

>> I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop
>> or broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250°F, cover the pot
>> and cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.

> How long at 250, Susan? I usually do mine at 325 or 300 -- maybe
> 3-1/2 hours for a 3-4# slab. A couple sisters do them stovetop --
> I've never had success on top of the stove.

The stovetop technique is to cook at a very low temperature with very
little added liquid. Slice maybe three onions and scatter them around
the bottom of the pot. Put the meat on top, salt, pepper, splash of oil,
splash vinegar. Cover and turn heat to as low as your stove will go. In
about two hours you'll have meat, very tasty pan liquid and onions
reduced to a wonderfully meaty and onion-sweet near-puree. Whiz with a
wand blender and thicken (reduce or starch it) if necessary.

Serve meat as you would a pot roast, juices as gravy...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

>> I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
>> associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
>> etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
>> best one for the cut of meat I bought.

IMO, that is not pot roast, but a stew with one big chunk of meat.

My grandmother made the best ever and it is simple.

Put a little oil in a Dutch oven and heat it. Rub the meat with salt. Put
the roast in the oil and brown one side. Do not touch it until it is
browned and easily releases. Now repeat this on all sides.

Once browned, you can put some oven slices in the oil and brown them. Put
the meat back in, add 1/2 cup of water, put the lid on, turn the burner very
low, come back in four hours. There will be plenty of liquid for gravy for
the mashed potatoes you are making.

Another tip: She would take the meat (rump roast) wrapped in butcher paper
and place in on the basement concrete floor. Then she would take a rolling
pin and whack it a dozen times.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

A poele would do it. I usually trim and render fat from cuts like this
so I have a thin film of liquid fat in the bottom of an ovenable skillet
that would hold it and could be covered. Dredge the meat in seasoned
flour, covering it generously, and saute to a rather dark brown on all
sides. Take the meat out of the pan and put a coarsely chopped mirepoix
(celery, carrot, onion) in to sweat for a couple minutes with 1/4 cup of
any kind of stock. Put the meat on top, cover and put into your oven.
Turn it on to 325. This size hunk of meat will probably take two hours,
maybe two and a half. Remove the meat and drastically reduce the pan
liquid. Either strain out the solids or puree them. Adjust seasonings.

Happy tender beef and gravy.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
> >> tender
> >> meat. Is that impossible?

> > Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

> Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
> There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come over
> and try my brisket sometime.

I've gotten nailed this way before, and I haven't learned. Things get
taken out of context, and I forget that. In the original post, Wayne
wanted fork tender meat, but he did *not* want to pot roast it. I
assumed that meant he didn't want to cook it low and slow, with moist
heat. Maybe I was assuming too much. In any case this is one tough
piece of meat, definitely *not* fork tender, if you cook it with dry
heat.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 06:11:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

> On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>>pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>>cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
>>
>>TIA

> I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop or
> broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250°F, cover the pot and
> cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.

That sounds like what I want to do, as I really want the meat relatively
plain. About how long does it take at that temperature?

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 06:54:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
L'Espérance?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:14:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
>> Pawlowski?

>>>Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different
>>>flavor. There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked
>>>properly. Come over and try my brisket sometime.

>> I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.
>>
>> I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
>> associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
>> etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably
>> the best one for the cut of meat I bought.

> There are a couple of ways I would do this cut of meat. As you
> mentioned, pot roast style with the meat on the trinity sans potatoes
> and cooked low and slow would give good results. Pressure cooking the
> meat will give equally moist and tender results in a lot less time.
> Either way the trinity is important for flavour and moisture. I
> wouldn't add potatoes to the pot roast until near the end of the
> roasting. Let them roast until cooked through then raise the temp to
> brown.

Thanks, and yes, I agree. I will make a mirepoix for flavor. Although I
have a pressure cooker, I will probably do this low and slow in the oven
since I have all day for it cook. I probably won't add potatoes at all
because I'm really just interested in a well-flavored and tender meat to
serve with other vegetable choices.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 07:41:05a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

>>> I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
>>> associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
>>> etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably
>>> the best one for the cut of meat I bought.

> IMO, that is not pot roast, but a stew with one big chunk of meat.
>
> My grandmother made the best ever and it is simple.
>
> Put a little oil in a Dutch oven and heat it. Rub the meat with salt.
> Put the roast in the oil and brown one side. Do not touch it until it
> is browned and easily releases. Now repeat this on all sides.
>
> Once browned, you can put some oven slices in the oil and brown them.
> Put the meat back in, add 1/2 cup of water, put the lid on, turn the
> burner very low, come back in four hours. There will be plenty of liquid
> for gravy for the mashed potatoes you are making.
>
> Another tip: She would take the meat (rump roast) wrapped in butcher
> paper and place in on the basement concrete floor. Then she would take
> a rolling pin and whack it a dozen times.

Pure and simple. I like that and it sounds really good. I've saved your
notes, Ed. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 06:55:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>> want.
>>
>> TIA

> Cub's got those on sale for $2.58/lb this week, along with chuck blades
> and eye rounds. From the chuck it will need moist heat.
>
> You don't want pot roast, cut it in chunks and make stew. Pot roast in
> another form. :-) How about Beef Bourguignonne? Stewed beef with
> red wine. Cook the beef chunks and freeze in broth for later
> transformation into something like -- beef stew, beef in gravy over rice
> or noodles, fake stroganoff. (See a pattern here?)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/e4ahe
> EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
>
> Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
> 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
> 1 env. Lipton onion soup
> 1 c. burgundy wine
> 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
>
> Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
> bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
> put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
> been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
> minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
> Approximately 6 to 8 servings.

All great suggestions, Barb, and I've saved the recipe above for some
future time. However, my goal right now is cooking this roast as plainly
as possible. We are on Weight Watchers and I need to eliminate many
additions I might ordinarily make to a good roast. I should probably have
included that tidbit in my original post. Sorry...and thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 08:15:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>> cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>> want.

> A poele would do it. I usually trim and render fat from cuts like this
> so I have a thin film of liquid fat in the bottom of an ovenable skillet
> that would hold it and could be covered. Dredge the meat in seasoned
> flour, covering it generously, and saute to a rather dark brown on all
> sides. Take the meat out of the pan and put a coarsely chopped mirepoix
> (celery, carrot, onion) in to sweat for a couple minutes with 1/4 cup of
> any kind of stock. Put the meat on top, cover and put into your oven.
> Turn it on to 325. This size hunk of meat will probably take two hours,
> maybe two and a half. Remove the meat and drastically reduce the pan
> liquid. Either strain out the solids or puree them. Adjust seasonings.
>
> Happy tender beef and gravy.
>
> Pastorio

Thanks, Bob. This is a method I like and have done similarly before. I am
trying to minimize fat, so will probably not do a gravy.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 09:47:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

> In article >,

>> > Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

>> Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different
>> flavor. There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked
>> properly. Come over and try my brisket sometime.

> I've gotten nailed this way before, and I haven't learned. Things get
> taken out of context, and I forget that. In the original post, Wayne
> wanted fork tender meat, but he did *not* want to pot roast it. I
> assumed that meant he didn't want to cook it low and slow, with moist
> heat. Maybe I was assuming too much. In any case this is one tough
> piece of meat, definitely *not* fork tender, if you cook it with dry
> heat.

Dan, when I think/say "pot roast", it conjurs up a roast with potatoes,
carrots, onions, celery, in a nice rich gravy, etc. I guess "typical Suday
Pot Roast". :-)

All posts and other thoughts considered, I think what I really want to do
is a simple braise. i realize (and did originally) that this cut of meat
should not be dry roasted for best results. I think you are definitely
right, that it would not be tender if dry roasted.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:57:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>> >pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut?
>> >know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
>> >
>> >TIA

>> I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop or
>> broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250°F, cover the pot and
>> cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.

>How long at 250, Susan? I usually do mine at 325 or 300 -- maybe 3-1/2
>hours for a 3-4# slab. A couple sisters do them stovetop -- I've never
>had success on top of the stove.

I really do not know exactly. Whenever it falls apart. I guess about
3 hours for a 2 lb roast.

A couple of times I browned it under the broiler, turned the oven off,
put the top on and closed the door. The roast was cooked in about 4
hours. (I turned the oven off so I could put the lid on, etc. and
forgot to set it for bake.)
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

> EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
>
> Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
> 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
> 1 env. Lipton onion soup
> 1 c. burgundy wine
> 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
>
> Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
> bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
> put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
> been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
> minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
> Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 11:51:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

>> EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
>>
>> Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
>> 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
>> 1 env. Lipton onion soup
>> 1 c. burgundy wine
>> 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
>>
>> Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
>> bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
>> put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
>> been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
>> minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
>> Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
>> --
>> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

> We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
> broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
> but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
> white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon

Sure, with broth it will still be tasty.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 27 Jan 2006 11:51:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
>

> >> EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
> >>
> >> Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
> >> 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
> >> 1 env. Lipton onion soup
> >> 1 c. burgundy wine
> >> 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
> >>
> >> Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
> >> bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
> >> put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
> >> been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
> >> minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
> >> Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
> >> --
> >> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

> > We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
> > broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
> > but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
> > white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon
> >

> Sure, with broth it will still be tasty.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>
> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

Thanks Wayne
Posted to rec.food.cooking
lorin merriam

I love the flavor of the "tougher" cuts, but not always the "pot roast or
stewed" meat taste. This is an old recipe but it works for me.......I also
like beef rare. I have also used chuck steak and roasts on sale and cut
them into 2" steaks.............I use the rib rack from the grill to hold
the steaks upright. Hope you like. Lorin

OVEN STEAK
For tender steaks such as porterhouse, sirloin, or rib: stand a 2" steak on
edge in a V-shaped rack in a roasting pan. Place in a 200 degree oven for 2
hours. Then place flat on a rack and broil or grill 3 to 5 minutes on each
side, until well browned.
Fro less-tender steaks such as chuck sirloin tip or top round: brush
lightly with water on each side. Sprinkle with unseasoned meat tenderizer
according to package directions. Bake as for tender steaks, allowing 45
minutes per pound of meat; broil the same way.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 09:37:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?
>
>> In article 9>,
>> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan
>>> Abel?

>>> I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
>>> tender meat. Is that impossible?

>> Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

>>> $2.99/lb.

>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> I think your choices are to pot roast (braise it) or have tough meat.
>>

> Thanks... I've been coming to that conclusion.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> > EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
> >
> > Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
> > 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
> > 1 env. Lipton onion soup
> > 1 c. burgundy wine
> > 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

(snippage)

> We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
> broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
> but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
> white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon

Actually, Sharon, I kind of posted it as a joke. Canned this, packaged
that, -- and a glug of red wine. I think you could fake cooking the
beef chunks any way you wanted to.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:
(snippage)

> > How long at 250, Susan? I usually do mine at 325 or 300 -- maybe
> > 3-1/2 hours for a 3-4# slab. A couple sisters do them stovetop --
> > I've never had success on top of the stove.

> The stovetop technique is to cook at a very low temperature with very
> little added liquid. Slice maybe three onions and scatter them around
> the bottom of the pot. Put the meat on top, salt, pepper, splash of oil,
> splash vinegar. Cover and turn heat to as low as your stove will go. In
> about two hours you'll have meat, very tasty pan liquid and onions
> reduced to a wonderfully meaty and onion-sweet near-puree. Whiz with a
> wand blender and thicken (reduce or starch it) if necessary.
>
> Serve meat as you would a pot roast, juices as gravy...
>
> Pastorio

You might. I don't. Mine on the stovetop suck. I can't get my stove
temp low enough for a simmer.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, biig > wrote:
>
> > > EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
> > >
> > > Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
> > > 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
> > > 1 env. Lipton onion soup
> > > 1 c. burgundy wine
> > > 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

> (snippage)
>

> > We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
> > broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
> > but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
> > white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon

> Actually, Sharon, I kind of posted it as a joke. Canned this, packaged
> that, -- and a glug of red wine. I think you could fake cooking the
> beef chunks any way you wanted to.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

LOL....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 03:31:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it lorin
merriam?

> I love the flavor of the "tougher" cuts, but not always the "pot roast
> or stewed" meat taste. This is an old recipe but it works for me.......I
> also like beef rare. I have also used chuck steak and roasts on sale
> and cut them into 2" steaks.............I use the rib rack from the
> grill to hold the steaks upright. Hope you like. Lorin
>
> OVEN STEAK
> For tender steaks such as porterhouse, sirloin, or rib: stand a 2" steak
> on edge in a V-shaped rack in a roasting pan. Place in a 200 degree
> oven for 2 hours. Then place flat on a rack and broil or grill 3 to 5
> minutes on each side, until well browned.
> Fro less-tender steaks such as chuck sirloin tip or top round:
> brush
> lightly with water on each side. Sprinkle with unseasoned meat
> tenderizer according to package directions. Bake as for tender steaks,
> allowing 45 minutes per pound of meat; broil the same way.

Thanks, Lorin. An interesting approach and definitely worth a shot.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 04:26:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article >, biig > wrote:
>
>> > EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)
>> >
>> > Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
>> > 2 cans Golden mushroom soup
>> > 1 env. Lipton onion soup
>> > 1 c. burgundy wine 1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

> (snippage)
>

>> We don't care for the flavour of wine in our food, so would beef
>> broth be an acceptable substitute? I know it won't be "bourguignonne"
>> but should be tasty anyway? I've substituted chicken broth instead of
>> white wine in dishes before and they turned out fine....tia...Sharon

> Actually, Sharon, I kind of posted it as a joke. Canned this, packaged
> that, -- and a glug of red wine. I think you could fake cooking the
> beef chunks any way you wanted to.

Actually, Barb, some things like this are very tasty in spite of being made
with cans and packages. Wine comes in a bottle or a box, no?

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Actually, Sharon, I kind of posted it as a joke. Canned this, packaged
> that, -- and a glug of red wine. I think you could fake cooking the
> beef chunks any way you wanted to.
> --

Whew! The only reason I didn't sneer at that one was that I thought it
was a joke. ;-) With the current lcd state of affairs here, though,
you can be sure a bunch of people can't wait to try it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 27 Jan 2006 08:15:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
> one)?
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>>I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
>>>pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
>>>cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
>>>want.

>>A poele would do it. I usually trim and render fat from cuts like this
>>so I have a thin film of liquid fat in the bottom of an ovenable skillet
>>that would hold it and could be covered. Dredge the meat in seasoned
>>flour, covering it generously, and saute to a rather dark brown on all
>>sides. Take the meat out of the pan and put a coarsely chopped mirepoix
>>(celery, carrot, onion) in to sweat for a couple minutes with 1/4 cup of
>>any kind of stock. Put the meat on top, cover and put into your oven.
>>Turn it on to 325. This size hunk of meat will probably take two hours,
>>maybe two and a half. Remove the meat and drastically reduce the pan
>>liquid. Either strain out the solids or puree them. Adjust seasonings.
>>
>>Happy tender beef and gravy.
>>
>>Pastorio
>>

> Thanks, Bob. This is a method I like and have done similarly before. I am
> trying to minimize fat, so will probably not do a gravy.

So brown it and pour out any residual fat.

Chill the pot liquor by dipping a plastic bag filled with ice cubes in
it. The fat sticks to the bag. Then thicken with a slurry of wine or
coffee or stock and cornstarch and tighten it up. No fat.

Pastorio