Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

Default easy chocolate cake

I thought I'd share this recipe. It's the easiest ever! But also the
yummiest. My daughter requested one earlier so we quickly whipped one up.

EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
3 Tb butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup SR flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
Beat all ingredients together with electric beaters for 3 mins.

Pour into greased 8 inch cake tin.

Bake at 180 c for 30-35 mins.

Top with Chocolate frosting when cold.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING
50g butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons milk

Melt butter, add milk. Mix well. Add icing and cocoa gradually. Beat
well. Beat for 3 minutes till light and fluffy.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"Jen" > wrote:

> EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
> 3 Tb butter, melted
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 cup SR flour
> 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
> 1/2 cup milk
> 2 eggs
> Beat all ingredients together with electric beaters for 3 mins.

This does not seem like that much cocoa, even accounting for the
smaller amounts of the other ingredients. It also seems to have a lot
of egg for the quantity of the other ingredients. How was the texture?
How chocolatey did it taste?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jen" > wrote:
>
>> EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
>> 3 Tb butter, melted
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1 cup SR flour
>> 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
>> 1/2 cup milk
>> 2 eggs
>> Beat all ingredients together with electric beaters for 3 mins.

> This does not seem like that much cocoa, even accounting for the
> smaller amounts of the other ingredients. It also seems to have a lot
> of egg for the quantity of the other ingredients. How was the texture?
> How chocolatey did it taste?

It's perfect, I've been making it for years, it's quite light, I suppose if
you want it more chocolatey you could add more cocoa. But I get lots of
compliments about it as it is. and it's just so easy.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jen" > wrote:
>

>>EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
>> 3 Tb butter, melted
>>1 cup sugar
>>1 cup SR flour
>>1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
>>1/2 cup milk
>>2 eggs
>>Beat all ingredients together with electric beaters for 3 mins.

> This does not seem like that much cocoa, even accounting for the
> smaller amounts of the other ingredients. It also seems to have a lot
> of egg for the quantity of the other ingredients. How was the texture?
> How chocolatey did it taste?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

While not a 'cake' in the use of flour there is a very good and even
simpler recipe, a chocolate torte using only 1 pound chocolate, 1 pound
unsalted butter and 6 eggs.

If anyone's interested i can post the instructions.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Jen" > wrote in
news
> "Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Jen" > wrote:
>>
>>> EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE
>>> 3 Tb butter, melted
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>> 1 cup SR flour
>>> 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
>>> 1/2 cup milk
>>> 2 eggs
>>> Beat all ingredients together with electric beaters for 3 mins.

>> This does not seem like that much cocoa, even accounting for the
>> smaller amounts of the other ingredients. It also seems to have a
>> lot of egg for the quantity of the other ingredients. How was the
>> texture? How chocolatey did it taste?

> It's perfect, I've been making it for years, it's quite light, I
> suppose if you want it more chocolatey you could add more cocoa.

Jen - was this recipe from an Australian source? So it would use 20ml
tablespoons and 250ml cups?

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

>> suppose if you want it more chocolatey you could add more cocoa.
>
> Jen - was this recipe from an Australian source? So it would use 20ml
> tablespoons and 250ml cups?

That's the way I've always done it. I never used to know there was a
difference. But I've never been that exact with measurements anyway.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Jen" > wrote in news:ibzCf.228869$V7.193091
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

>>> suppose if you want it more chocolatey you could add more cocoa.

>> Jen - was this recipe from an Australian source? So it would use 20ml
>> tablespoons and 250ml cups?

> That's the way I've always done it. I never used to know there was a
> difference. But I've never been that exact with measurements anyway.

Thanks. Just wanted to know in case I try it! Usually if I post a recipe on
here I'll note that it's Australian tablespoons and cups. A lot of the time
it might not make too much of a difference, but I figure if anyone in a
country other than Australia wants to make it, they might like to know.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> "Jen" > wrote in news:ibzCf.228869$V7.193091
> @news-server.bigpond.net.au:
>
> Thanks. Just wanted to know in case I try it! Usually if I post a recipe
> on
> here I'll note that it's Australian tablespoons and cups. A lot of the
> time
> it might not make too much of a difference, but I figure if anyone in a
> country other than Australia wants to make it, they might like to know.

Good point. I didn't even think of that.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jillie

Thanks, Jen

I bought some SR flour a few weeks ago for a recipe and had no idea
what I was going to do with the rest of it.

I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
tonight.

Now, if I just knew what to do with the rest of that flour!!!!

Thanks again,

jillie
Roseville, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton

>Now, if I just knew what to do with the rest of that flour!!!!

Bread. More cakes.

Hmm.

Would the stuff that makes it self-rising make it totally unsuitable
for roux? or would it just get cooked and die?

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm interested in the tort recipe Asylum

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jillie wrote:
> Thanks, Jen
>
> I bought some SR flour a few weeks ago for a recipe and had no idea
> what I was going to do with the rest of it.
>
> I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
> baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
> tonight.
>
> Now, if I just knew what to do with the rest of that flour!!!!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> jillie
> Roseville, CA

Jillie, Why can't you make another cake like this? ) You can
freeze it and have it ready for unexpected company.

Are there no recipes on the bag of SR flour? If not, you can go to
the web site of the flour company and look for other recipes. I know
one thing, your flour will not go to waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

>> Now, if I just knew what to do with the rest of that flour!!!!
>>

> Jillie, Why can't you make another cake like this? ) You can freeze
> it and have it ready for unexpected company.
>
> Are there no recipes on the bag of SR flour? If not, you can go to the
> web site of the flour company and look for other recipes. I know one
> thing, your flour will not go to waste.

Actually I know someone who uses the same recipe to make banana cake. Leave
out the cocoa and add a couple of mashed bananas. And yeah, they freeze
well.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jillie wrote:
> Thanks, Jen
>
> I bought some SR flour a few weeks ago for a recipe and had no idea
> what I was going to do with the rest of it.
>
> I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
> baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
> tonight.
>
> Now, if I just knew what to do with the rest of that flour!!!!

Great recipe I got around he

Mix together 3 cups SR flour, 1 T sugar, 4 T melted buttere, and a
bottle of beer.

Turn into a lightly sprayed loaf pan. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Brush
with another 2 T melted butter. Finish baking for 25 minutes. It's
delicious - it's what has caused me to start keeping a small bag of SR
flour in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jillie wrote:

> I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
> baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
> tonight.

So, jillie, you're American like me. What did you translate 180 C to on
your oven?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> jillie wrote:
>

>>I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
>>baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
>>tonight.

> So, jillie, you're American like me. What did you translate 180 C to on
> your oven?

I know this by heart: 375F (or a tad higher)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>
>> jillie wrote:
>>

>>> I made your cake, today, and it looks great. I doubled the recipe and
>>> baked it in a rectangular pan. Will be taking it to my knitting group,
>>> tonight.

>> So, jillie, you're American like me. What did you translate 180 C to on
>> your oven?
>>

> I know this by heart: 375F (or a tad higher)

That may have come across arrogant. I am sorry. I intended to save
someone waiting time and some one else some searching trouble.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> >> So, jillie, you're American like me. What did you translate 180 C to on
> >> your oven?
> >>

> > I know this by heart: 375F (or a tad higher)

> That may have come across arrogant. I am sorry. I intended to save
> someone waiting time and some one else some searching trouble.

Not at all....I appreciated getting an answer so quickly. I want to try
this one for dessert this week. Thanks for the info!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I googled for a conversion and found 180 C converts to 356 F...so I
baked it at 350F.

The cake was very good..not as chocolaty as most, but very good.

I'm going to try the beer bread recipe and the banana cake.

I may use up all this bag of SRing, after all!!

jillie
Roseville, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The cake was a big hit around here. My daughetr, age 9, was able to
make it by herself, with coaching but no assistance from me. I
increased the cocoa to 2 1/2 T to makew it chocolatier, but it was
definitely a 'litght' choc flavor. I'dd add some vanilla to the
frosting next time, and consider maybe evaporated milk in the cake to
make it richer. It was a nice light, easy cake though. Thanks for
sharing the recipe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The cake was a big hit around here. My daughetr, age 9, was able to
> make it by herself, with coaching but no assistance from me. I
> increased the cocoa to 2 1/2 T to makew it chocolatier, but it was
> definitely a 'litght' choc flavor. I'dd add some vanilla to the
> frosting next time, and consider maybe evaporated milk in the cake to
> make it richer. It was a nice light, easy cake though. Thanks for
> sharing the recipe!

No problem. I've got a 10 year old daughter that can almost do it by
herself now. We like the cake as it is, but the vanilla in the frosting
would be great, thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:51:56 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>> While not a 'cake' in the use of flour there is a very good and even
>> simpler recipe, a chocolate torte using only 1 pound chocolate, 1 pound
>> unsalted butter and 6 eggs.

> Did I miss your recipe? If you posted it, please email the recipe to
> me. If not, please post!

Here you go, sorry it took so long, been a busy last few days.

Chocolate torte
---------------

1 pound high quality semisweet baking chocolate

1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter

6 eggs

In the top of a double boiler over medium high heat, melt the chocolate
and butter together. Place the mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Wash
the top of the double boiler.

In the double boiler over medium high heat, whisk the eggs until warmed
through. Remove the eggs fro the heat, and, using an electric mixer set
on high, beat for 6 minutes, or until thickened.

By hand fold the thickened eggs into the chocolate, one quarter at a
time, until completely blended.

Preheat the oven to 425 F

Pour the batter into a 16 inch spring form pan, wrap bottom & sides of
pan in 2 layers of aluminium foil to prevent leaks, place the pan in a
baking or roasting pan and add enough water to come to 1 inch from the
top of the spring form pan. bake for 15 minutes.

Remove the torte from the oven and cool for 1 hour at room temperature.
Refrigerate 24 hours before removing from pan and slicing with a hot
knife.

Serve with fresh raspberries (or fruit of choice) and whipped cream.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> increased the cocoa to 2 1/2 T to makew it chocolatier, but it was
> definitely a 'litght' choc flavor.

IMO, there is no point to a light chocolate flavor. If I am making a
chocolate cake, I want a dark, rich, deep chocolate taste. Evidently,
that isn't as common as I thought it was.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Jude" > wrote:

> > increased the cocoa to 2 1/2 T to makew it chocolatier, but it was
> > definitely a 'litght' choc flavor.

> IMO, there is no point to a light chocolate flavor. If I am making a
> chocolate cake, I want a dark, rich, deep chocolate taste. Evidently,
> that isn't as common as I thought it was.

I agree, but I also love to doctor recipes, so I plan to play with this
one, increasing the amount of cocoa, possibly adding choc chips, to see
what I can do with it. Anything that takes 5 minutes and 1 bowl has
serious potential ! =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:14:54 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Did I miss your recipe? If you posted it, please email the recipe to
> > me. If not, please post!

> Here you go, sorry it took so long, been a busy last few days.
>

> Chocolate torte

thanks for the recipe, JL... it's saved!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried this last night with the substitution of bananas for cocoa. I
upped the flour by 1/4 c to account for the extra moisture from the
bananas, and I added 1 t lemon extract to heighten the flavor;. Then I
stirred in 1 c chocolate chips. (They sunk!) I frosted it with a simple
cream cheese icing.

My BF says its even better than the chocolate one.

My daughter was so inspired by the ease of baking these cakes this
week, thatshe's decided to do her science fair project this year on
food science. She's going to pick a recipe and vary the leaveining
ingredients (soda, powder, SR flour, yeast) and see what she learns
about cakes rising. Pretty cool, and hopefully at least a few yummy
results for us! =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I tried this last night with the substitution of bananas for cocoa. I
> upped the flour by 1/4 c to account for the extra moisture from the
> bananas, and I added 1 t lemon extract to heighten the flavor;. Then I
> stirred in 1 c chocolate chips. (They sunk!) I frosted it with a simple
> cream cheese icing.

Wow! You're so clever.

> My BF says its even better than the chocolate one.
>
> My daughter was so inspired by the ease of baking these cakes this
> week, thatshe's decided to do her science fair project this year on
> food science. She's going to pick a recipe and vary the leaveining
> ingredients (soda, powder, SR flour, yeast) and see what she learns
> about cakes rising. Pretty cool, and hopefully at least a few yummy
> results for us! =)

I'm glad you're getting so much out of this recipe.

Jen