Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default is there a basic cooking video?

is there a basic cooking video?
like how to fry mushrooms?

how to cook chips in a healthy way?

What baking is, what frying is. e.t.c.

I tried frying some mushrooms in olive oil, I think I used the right
frying pan and fried them.
But the olive oil sizzled alot which I think makes it turn slightly
carcinogenic, Overheating an oil that is high in monounsaturated fats
'cos those fats turn to transfats.
Tried frying tuna. Same problem with the oil.

If I didn't heat the oil enough though, then the mushrooms wouldn't
have been browned slightly, would they?

I am interrested in healthy eating.

surely there are videos. Like there are videos for how to put a fan on
a processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
LipglossJunkie

epicurious.com has videos...there are lots of basic technique videos
under the 'Cooking' - 'How-To' section.

And you can look up tons of low-fat recipes.

melanie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> is there a basic cooking video?
> like how to fry mushrooms?
>
> how to cook chips in a healthy way?
>
> What baking is, what frying is. e.t.c.
>
> I tried frying some mushrooms in olive oil, I think I used the right
> frying pan and fried them.
> But the olive oil sizzled alot which I think makes it turn slightly
> carcinogenic, Overheating an oil that is high in monounsaturated fats
> 'cos those fats turn to transfats.
> Tried frying tuna. Same problem with the oil.
>
> If I didn't heat the oil enough though, then the mushrooms wouldn't
> have been browned slightly, would they?
>
> I am interrested in healthy eating.
>
> surely there are videos. Like there are videos for how to put a fan on
> a processor.

Get yourself a copy of the book "Joy of Cooking", and pay attention to the
various "About...." sections. About baking, about mushrooms, about
sauteeing, etc. It's written for beginners.

Not sure what the final purpose was for your mushrooms, but in some cases,
you're better off "sweating" them (pronounced like "sweater"). Choose a pot
that has a tight fitting cover. Add just enough water to cover the bottom.
Turn heat to high and do not walk away from the stove. When the water begins
to bubble, take the pot off the heat and add your mushrooms. Turn heat down
to medium, put the cover on the pot and put it back on the burner. Stay with
it! Move the pot around constantly so the mushrooms don't burn. Depending on
whether the mushrooms are whole, halved or sliced, the whole process can
take as little as a minute or as long as 5-ish. It also depends on what you
intend to do with the mushrooms.

The mushrooms will release some liquid of their own, and soften to the point
where they're like the ones you get on pizza. Vary the cooking time
depending on the firmness you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > thankyou everybody there's so much useful info in this thread now.
> >
> > there is a DVD of that book that the first poster mentioned. I'll
> > check out the other videos.
> >
> > Thanks doug for the mushroom idea, i'll do it, it looks far healthier
> > than risking overheating olive oil. I didn't realise I could fry with
> > water.
> > I will use olive oil in other dishes.
> >

> You'd be wise to stop using the word "fry" unless you're specifically
> talking about "fried chicken", "fried fish", etc. Actual frying is a process
> where the food's mostly or totally immersed in hot oil. It's important to
> use the right terminology.
>
> Why are you so focused on videos instead of books?

because I haven't got a clue about cooking. Most cookery books don't
tell you what frying is or baking is. Or not to overheat olive oil.
I havent' seen anybody go into the basic principles. Most cookery books
cater to people that know what baking is or know one pan from another.

I'm glad to have been refered to a book that teaches some basics. And
since the book has a video too, i'm sure the video contains other
information that was too fundamental to be written in the book. Hence,
videos are useful.

see, in some academic subjects, initially not having a clue isn't a
problem, because all the terminology and concepts are defined
philosophically, in books.

Though at least here, perhaps there are some books that deal with some
of the basics. I hadn't run into any before. Videos are good because
cookery isn't that academic, so it's likely that some things in text
haven't been specified unambiguously.

It's just another medium. Not necessarily expressing a preference for
video over book. Just that videos are forced to include practical
pictures - by definition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit

On 25 Jan 2006 14:15:52 -0800, wrote:

>> You'd be wise to stop using the word "fry" unless you're specifically
>> talking about "fried chicken", "fried fish", etc. Actual frying is a process
>> where the food's mostly or totally immersed in hot oil. It's important to
>> use the right terminology.

I NEVER deep-fry anything... so to me, 'fry' means cook in a frypan on
the stove with a little oil so it doesn't stick. If I was going to
immerse things in oil, that's DEEP-frying.

>> Why are you so focused on videos instead of books?

>because I haven't got a clue about cooking. Most cookery books don't
>tell you what frying is or baking is. Or not to overheat olive oil.
>I havent' seen anybody go into the basic principles. Most cookery books
>cater to people that know what baking is or know one pan from another.
>
>I'm glad to have been refered to a book that teaches some basics. And
>since the book has a video too, i'm sure the video contains other
>information that was too fundamental to be written in the book. Hence,
>videos are useful.

Delia Smith made a whole television series on basic cooking... it's an
excellent program if you can locate DVDs. She also wrote a book to
accompany it, with lots of pictures and basic step-by-step
instructions.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

basic lessons in video dasar Tea 0 11-11-2007 10:08 AM
Basic Pizza Cooking Question Syn Toniax General Cooking 5 10-04-2007 01:06 PM
Basic Home Cooking Primrose General 0 01-11-2004 09:11 PM
Basic cooking Frogleg Vegetarian cooking 5 30-03-2004 08:34 PM
the most basic of cooking Jess Baking 4 01-10-2003 07:58 PM