FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lemon curd (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/79703-lemon-curd.html)

Diane M 24-01-2006 05:37 AM

Lemon curd

A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
freeze the curd?

Nancy1 24-01-2006 03:13 PM

Lemon curd

Diane M wrote:
> A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
> would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
> desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
> freeze the curd?

I don't believe it will freeze well. Fill some pastry shells, make a
pie, fill some meringues - and give them to your hairdresser/child's
teacher/co-workers/neighbor. ;-)

It's very easy to make - you can always make some when you quit
dieting. You can also purchase it in a jar (it's usually with the
jams/jellies).

N.

Bob (this one) 24-01-2006 05:45 PM

Lemon curd

Diane M wrote:
> A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
> would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
> desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
> freeze the curd?

If it's a real lemon curd, it should freeze just fine. If it's one of
those commercial ones with pectin and all sorts of additives, likely not.

If it should break when frozen, a little stirring will bring it right
back. When I was in the curd business, we used to ship them frozen.
Worked fine.

Pastorio

Charlotte L. Blackmer 25-01-2006 06:29 AM

Lemon curd

In article >,
Bob (this one) > wrote:
>Diane M wrote:
>> A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
>> would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
>> desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
>> freeze the curd?

>If it's a real lemon curd, it should freeze just fine. If it's one of
>those commercial ones with pectin and all sorts of additives, likely not.

>If it should break when frozen, a little stirring will bring it right
>back. When I was in the curd business, we used to ship them frozen.
>Worked fine.

What he said. My freezer is full of "real" lemon curd right about now
thanks to some people's generosity with lemons ;).

Charlotte

Diane M 25-01-2006 07:33 AM

Lemon curd

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> In article >,
> Bob (this one) > wrote:
>
>>Diane M wrote:
>>
>>>A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
>>>would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
>>>desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
>>>freeze the curd?

>>If it's a real lemon curd, it should freeze just fine. If it's one of
>>those commercial ones with pectin and all sorts of additives, likely not.

>>If it should break when frozen, a little stirring will bring it right
>>back. When I was in the curd business, we used to ship them frozen.
>>Worked fine.

> What he said. My freezer is full of "real" lemon curd right about now
> thanks to some people's generosity with lemons ;).
>
> Charlotte

Thank you, Charlotte. Yes, it's the real thing.

Diane M

serene 26-01-2006 01:10 AM

Lemon curd

On 24 Jan 2006 07:13:10 -0800, "Nancy1" >
wrote:

>Diane M wrote:
>> A friend gave me some lemon curd, which is made with eggs. She said it
>> would last a few days. However, I am trying to shed a few pounds and
>> desserts are not on the menu for awhile. Would it be all right to
>> freeze the curd?

>I don't believe it will freeze well.

Charlotte's lemon curd comes to me frozen, and I thaw it when I want
to eat the heavenliest thing ever.

serene