Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cookie Mix substitutions

Duncan Hines cookie mix calls for addition of vegetable oil, egg, and
water to their dehydrated chocolate-chip mix. I am planning to
experiment with substituting some (or all) of the oil with Crisco
shortening to get a better texture to the cookie. Is there any
experience or wisdom in this forum that might be able to guide me in
this experiment?

How much oil should I substitute - half, all, or some other fraction?
Is the substitution direct? That is, a teaspoon of shortening should
replace a teaspoon of oil?
Are there other considerations to keep in mind?
Can you forgive me for using a mix? It was a gift, and it was given in
bulk!

Thanks,
~Jen

My real email address is but you will have to
remove the dashes so that I can see your email. I don't check my
"other" email account.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

I always worry about throwing off the liquid - solid proportions. Be
careful not to make them dry out or anything - how much oil goes in the
mix? Will you significantly affect the amount of liquid by replacing
oil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

tert in seattle wrote:

> >Wow, I never knew this...can you please explain more? Especially the
> >p[art where you said, "oil is dry", even in a liquid stage, that
> >confused me. how does wet/dry differ from liquid/solid?
> >
> >I've always avoided changing some of my baking recipes to use honey for
> >sugar or vice-versa when I run short on something, becasue I've always
> >heard that you can't mess with the proportions of liquids to solids. So
> >please help me out some more here!

> All I mean is that there is no water in vegetable oil, or at least there
> shouldn't be. When you're concerned about something drying out, you're
> concerned about the amount of moisture being too low, and moisture is
> water.

So let's say my recipe calls for 1 c honey, but I only have sugar or
brown sugar. How would I substitute and keep the moisture content
right? Although honey does not contain water, I knw you can't just sub
dry sugar for liquid honey and have the consistency work right. Or,
same idea, if I want to make something without using processed sugars
and prefer to use honey, I can't just swap it for the sugar, or my
batter will be too gooey and liquidy. How do I figure this out?

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my qurestion, BTW!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Jude wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>

>>>Wow, I never knew this...can you please explain more? Especially the
>>>p[art where you said, "oil is dry", even in a liquid stage, that
>>>confused me. how does wet/dry differ from liquid/solid?
>>>
>>>I've always avoided changing some of my baking recipes to use honey for
>>>sugar or vice-versa when I run short on something, becasue I've always
>>>heard that you can't mess with the proportions of liquids to solids. So
>>>please help me out some more here!

>>All I mean is that there is no water in vegetable oil, or at least there
>>shouldn't be. When you're concerned about something drying out, you're
>>concerned about the amount of moisture being too low, and moisture is
>>water.

> So let's say my recipe calls for 1 c honey, but I only have sugar or
> brown sugar. How would I substitute and keep the moisture content
> right? Although honey does not contain water,

honey *does* contain water. oil does not.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
tert in seattle

writes:
>tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> >Wow, I never knew this...can you please explain more? Especially the
>> >p[art where you said, "oil is dry", even in a liquid stage, that
>> >confused me. how does wet/dry differ from liquid/solid?
>> >
>> >I've always avoided changing some of my baking recipes to use honey for
>> >sugar or vice-versa when I run short on something, becasue I've always
>> >heard that you can't mess with the proportions of liquids to solids. So
>> >please help me out some more here!

>> All I mean is that there is no water in vegetable oil, or at least there
>> shouldn't be. When you're concerned about something drying out, you're
>> concerned about the amount of moisture being too low, and moisture is
>> water.

>So let's say my recipe calls for 1 c honey, but I only have sugar or
>brown sugar. How would I substitute and keep the moisture content
>right? Although honey does not contain water, I knw you can't just sub
>dry sugar for liquid honey and have the consistency work right. Or,
>same idea, if I want to make something without using processed sugars
>and prefer to use honey, I can't just swap it for the sugar, or my
>batter will be too gooey and liquidy. How do I figure this out?

Honey does contain some water but I don't worry about that. If I
replace sugar with honey I use about half the volume to get about the
same amount of sweetness.

If you're curious about moisture content of foods you might enjoy
browsing the USDA nutritional database:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The instructions for a batch require 5 tablespoons oil (!), one egg,
and 2 tablespoons of water.
The first batch of dough seemed too runny, but the cookies tasted fine
to the untrained palate. To me, however, I think I could taste the oil
because I knew there was so much in there. They were too "cakey" and
rose too much in the oven. I bought fresh oil because I think part of
my aversion was the fact that the oil had been in my kitchen for
who-knows-how-long. So I guess I'm *hoping* to unbalance the
liquid-solid proportions to some extent on account of the imbalance
that exists when following directions.

You and Sarag have have put a few variations into my mind that I will
be working with over the next few weeks: butter alone, oil/butter,
oil/butter/crisco, oil/crisco.... So far I tried oil alone and wasn't
impressed. It should only go uphill from here!

>From this and other comments, it sounds like I can't mess this up too

badly.
Cuz my goodness, it's a mix! ; - )

Thanks all -- I'll let you know how it goes.

~Jen

My real email address is micro - bio - jen @ gmail . com but you will