Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

Default Junk

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> And this is just a small part of the inventory. I haven't even looked in
> the basement closets yet. Oh, and 4 dolls in these huge cases with
> certificates. They'll go on eBay. Can you say garage sale?

I think I'm confusing you with someone else ... did you just move
there in the last decade? Or less? Where did all that stuff come
from?

I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
>> And this is just a small part of the inventory. I haven't even looked in
>> the basement closets yet. Oh, and 4 dolls in these huge cases with
>> certificates. They'll go on eBay. Can you say garage sale?

> I think I'm confusing you with someone else ... did you just move
> there in the last decade? Or less? Where did all that stuff come
> from?
>
> I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
> that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
> Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
> manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
> of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.
>
> nancy

I've been months cleaning out crap! I finally moved it all to one big room,
taking all of it on trips to the Salvation Army. Here are the last items
they wouldn't accept: Projector screen, cannon copier machine; we begged
them to take a double cassette recorder; I have an 80's DX Yamaha, that i'm
wondering if they will take, and all the paraphanelia that goes with it,
drum machine, speaker etc., and of course a cheap 80's Casio music piano I
paid $800 for and you can get now for a little over a $100; I know they will
not take this kind of crap because they say it has to be tested!3 bikes
barely used, golf clubs, weights, and the list goes on. I've taken
truckloads of stuff already, but this is the end of it, that I'm not sure
they will take. I need the room to start storing my other stuff I'm
constantly hauling in. Today a 3-set Japanese knife set (Santoku) and a 50"
x 24" stainless steel table. It's not that I don't use the stuff I buy,
it's just the it gets used up or isn't worth using for long, a bad choice,
or one wants to buy better.

It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for someone
to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions, and he
ended up still hauling away the couches.
Crap and stuff,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:39:09 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for someone
> to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions, and he
> ended up still hauling away the couches.
> Crap and stuff,
> Dee Dee

If you're anywhere near an urban area.... use Craig's List.

DD put her '99 Honda Civic (Value Package) Honda on Craig's List for
$7,000 today giving our address/phone. Within 10 minutes we had 3
calls, all VERY interested. Hubby scheduled them 1 hour apart. The
first one traveled an hour, offered cash, no dickering. SOLD!

Commission is taking mom and dad out to dinner.... and we won't let
her off cheap. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>>
>>> And this is just a small part of the inventory. I haven't even
>>> looked in the basement closets yet. Oh, and 4 dolls in these huge
>>> cases with certificates. They'll go on eBay. Can you say garage
>>> sale?

>> I think I'm confusing you with someone else ... did you just move
>> there in the last decade? Or less? Where did all that stuff come
>> from?

> We've been in this house for 5 years. The bulk of the junk comes from
> raffles won at charity events. Some of the stuff is from when we
> lived in the city and packed it up and moved it. Like Steven's kiln,
> free weights, ceramic molds etc.
>

>> I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
>> that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
>> Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
>> manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
>> of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.
>>
>> nancy

> It is amazing the junk we accumulate. I just peeked in the basement
> closets. Lots of clothes hanging and boxes galore. I'll save that
> for another boring day.
>
> Michael

Wasn't it George Carlin who did the bit about having to have "stuff"?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
>> that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
>> Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
>> manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
>> of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.

> I've been months cleaning out crap! I finally moved it all to one big
> room, taking all of it on trips to the Salvation Army. Here are the last
> items they wouldn't accept: Projector screen, cannon copier machine; we
> begged them to take a double cassette recorder; I have an 80's DX Yamaha,
> that i'm wondering if they will take, and all the paraphanelia that goes
> with it, drum machine, speaker etc., and of course a cheap 80's Casio
> music piano I paid $800 for and you can get now for a little over a $100;
> I know they will not take this kind of crap because they say it has to be
> tested!

Can you *imagine* the garbage people must donate? Especially if they
want a tax write off. Now you have all this stuff and no one wants it.

>3 bikes barely used, golf clubs, weights, and the list goes on. I've taken
>truckloads of stuff already, but this is the end of it, that I'm not sure
>they will take.

There are people who will come take it, they sell it at flea
markets/whatever. Look for people who will 'clean out your
basement' ... sometimes they mean they'll take your stuff off
your hands, and junk the stuff even they don't want.

I donated my bike to a VFW hall (they asked for unwanted
bikes), they spiff them up and gave them to veterans who were
trying to get back on their feet and needed a bike to get to work.

(laugh) That was the day I stopped for a corned beef sandwich on
the way home and the woman kept yelling NO SIDES!! NO SIDES!!
Oh, and no doo rags at the VFW hall. Was a funny adventure all the
way around, starting with me trying to get my bike in the car.

> I need the room to start storing my other stuff I'm constantly hauling in.
> Today a 3-set Japanese knife set (Santoku) and a 50" x 24" stainless steel
> table. It's not that I don't use the stuff I buy, it's just the it gets
> used up or isn't worth using for long, a bad choice, or one wants to buy
> better.

I understand, completely. When I think of stuff I've bought that turned
out not to work for me, I'd have a lot more money in the bank.

> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for someone
> to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions, and he
> ended up still hauling away the couches.

Luckily my town picks up a lot of stuff, but you have to put it out on
the correct friday or you're out of luck. It's kind of funny trying to make
sure you have the right day from reading the circular.

I have put out gas grills that way, I put it out after the garbage pickup
on friday, usually someone will make off with it before next pickup.
But, like your couch cushions, once someone just took the tank. Not
really what I had in mind, but what are you going to do.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

>>> I think I'm confusing you with someone else ... did you just move
>>> there in the last decade? Or less? Where did all that stuff come
>>> from?

>> We've been in this house for 5 years. The bulk of the junk comes from
>> raffles won at charity events. Some of the stuff is from when we
>> lived in the city and packed it up and moved it. Like Steven's kiln,
>> free weights, ceramic molds etc.
>>

>>> I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
>>> that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
>>> Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
>>> manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
>>> of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> It is amazing the junk we accumulate. I just peeked in the basement
>> closets. Lots of clothes hanging and boxes galore. I'll save that
>> for another boring day.
>>
>> Michael

> Wasn't it George Carlin who did the bit about having to have "stuff"?
>
> Jill

Yes, I saw that he was doing a skit about this. Somehow he has got more
un-funny to me over the years. I was wondering whether to waste my time
watching this, or spend it sorting more stuff.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I've been getting rid of crap little by little, amazing the stuff
>>> that piles up. I just cleaned out one closet, I found an
>>> Intellivision game, complete with games, that has been out of
>>> manufacture since ... when? early 80s? Astonishing amount
>>> of stuff I forgot I ever had in there. Buh bye.

>> I've been months cleaning out crap! I finally moved it all to one big
>> room, taking all of it on trips to the Salvation Army. Here are the last
>> items they wouldn't accept: Projector screen, cannon copier machine; we
>> begged them to take a double cassette recorder; I have an 80's DX Yamaha,
>> that i'm wondering if they will take, and all the paraphanelia that goes
>> with it, drum machine, speaker etc., and of course a cheap 80's Casio
>> music piano I paid $800 for and you can get now for a little over a $100;
>> I know they will not take this kind of crap because they say it has to be
>> tested!

> Can you *imagine* the garbage people must donate? Especially if they
> want a tax write off. Now you have all this stuff and no one wants it.

I don't take a tax write off for the stuff I GIVE to Salvation Army. I
don't stiff the taxpayer, who happens to be me. But I imagine people use
the Salvation Army to dump their stuff, as they (here) complain about the
amount of money that they have to pay to have the big boxes of junk they
sort thru hauled off.

>>3 bikes barely used, golf clubs, weights, and the list goes on. I've taken
>>truckloads of stuff already, but this is the end of it, that I'm not sure
>>they will take.

> There are people who will come take it, they sell it at flea
> markets/whatever. Look for people who will 'clean out your
> basement' ... sometimes they mean they'll take your stuff off
> your hands, and junk the stuff even they don't want.
>
> I donated my bike to a VFW hall (they asked for unwanted
> bikes), they spiff them up and gave them to veterans who were
> trying to get back on their feet and needed a bike to get to work.

Now that's a good idea -- my bikes are practically new. I tried selling
them at a bike shop parking lot (open to all to sell their bikes) for a
nominal fee; probably the amount of gas to take them there would have left
me at a loss, but no one wanted $300-$500 used bikes for $25. That was a
wrong place to take them to sell them. DH is going to take them to a 'farm'
auction before he takes them to the Salvation Army; however, I have a
feeling they may not sell there either; most want farm 'trucks' not farm
bikes and those all-terrain vehicles instead.

> (laugh) That was the day I stopped for a corned beef sandwich on
> the way home and the woman kept yelling NO SIDES!! NO SIDES!!
> Oh, and no doo rags at the VFW hall. Was a funny adventure all the
> way around, starting with me trying to get my bike in the car.
>
>> I need the room to start storing my other stuff I'm constantly hauling
>> in. Today a 3-set Japanese knife set (Santoku) and a 50" x 24" stainless
>> steel table. It's not that I don't use the stuff I buy, it's just the it
>> gets used up or isn't worth using for long, a bad choice, or one wants to
>> buy better.

> I understand, completely. When I think of stuff I've bought that turned
> out not to work for me, I'd have a lot more money in the bank.
>
>> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
>> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
>> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for
>> someone to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions,
>> and he ended up still hauling away the couches.

> Luckily my town picks up a lot of stuff, but you have to put it out on
> the correct friday or you're out of luck. It's kind of funny trying to
> make
> sure you have the right day from reading the circular.
>
> I have put out gas grills that way, I put it out after the garbage pickup
> on friday, usually someone will make off with it before next pickup.
> But, like your couch cushions, once someone just took the tank. Not
> really what I had in mind, but what are you going to do.

Aaarrrgggh!

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> [...]

> turned out not to work for me, I'd have a lot more money in the bank.
>
>> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries
>> do) your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort
>> of thing when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches
>> out for someone to take (with a sign to take) and they took the
>> pillow cushions, and he ended up still hauling away the couches.

> Luckily my town picks up a lot of stuff, but you have to put it out on
> the correct friday or you're out of luck. It's kind of funny trying
> to make sure you have the right day from reading the circular.
>
> I have put out gas grills that way, I put it out after the garbage
> pickup on friday, usually someone will make off with it before next
> pickup. But, like your couch cushions, once someone just took the
> tank. Not really what I had in mind, but what are you going to do.

I'm a dumpster expert. Only problem is every year I need another one.

I'm too far from the road to drag old sofas, bbqs, etc.

Please place that dumster right up against the house and I'll call ya in
a week.

Last years most stupid purchase: electric vegetable steamer.

I've got a closet and some drawers of clothes that haven't fit since
2000. They're gone this year.

Got a 200-channel stereo 5.1 surround that cost $3000+ back in the early
90s it.s obsolete, the speakers are huge and I can get the same thing for
$200 and it's all practically invisible. I can't wait for the old system
to hit the dumpster. I don't wanna for sale it (phone calls, visits). I
wouldn't buy it!

I looked under the kitchen sink and there's a box of brillo that I think
has dust mites living in it. A solid caked can of ajax.

The out of sight problem gets me every time.

"Hmmm... how long has this stale spaghetti been hiding in the pantry?"

6-packs of baked beens and chili from 1998. Good grief!

Some of my OTC medicines might have helped in 1990.

I just need help. I can't pick up some of this crap anymore. Maybe hire
some kids from down the road. "That, DUMPSTER!", that, DUMPSTER!," that,
DUMPSTER! You want that? Take it. That would be dumpstering in style!

Andy
The Lazy BUM!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Luckily my town picks up a lot of stuff, but you have to put it out on
>> the correct friday or you're out of luck. It's kind of funny trying
>> to make sure you have the right day from reading the circular.

> I'm a dumpster expert. Only problem is every year I need another one.
>
> I'm too far from the road to drag old sofas, bbqs, etc.
>
> Please place that dumster right up against the house and I'll call ya in
> a week.

I think that's a great idea, one I've considered. I know that neighbors
will go in on one and everyone gets rid of stuff. When I had my
kitchen redone, I had a large one in my driveway, took away my
old kitchen and a bunch of other crap I threw in there, plus I called
my next door neighbors to say they could put stuff in there, too.

I don't think a small one would cost too much for a few days.

> Last years most stupid purchase: electric vegetable steamer.

Heh, perhaps someone here will want it, all you have to do it
package it up and mail it. Most notably I gave away my Chef's
Choice knife sharpener, hope whoever got it likes it.

> I've got a closet and some drawers of clothes that haven't fit since
> 2000. They're gone this year.

My chore for today, wash a bunch of clothing and bring it to the
clothing bin. Meant to do that last week.

> I looked under the kitchen sink and there's a box of brillo that I think
> has dust mites living in it. A solid caked can of ajax.

Heh ... fill up a bag every garbage day and get rid of it.

> The out of sight problem gets me every time.

Ditto.

> "Hmmm... how long has this stale spaghetti been hiding in the pantry?"
>
> 6-packs of baked beens and chili from 1998. Good grief!
>
> Some of my OTC medicines might have helped in 1990.
>
> I just need help. I can't pick up some of this crap anymore. Maybe hire
> some kids from down the road. "That, DUMPSTER!", that, DUMPSTER!," that,
> DUMPSTER! You want that? Take it. That would be dumpstering in style!
>
> Andy
> The Lazy BUM!

Get in line, pal. I was here first.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for someone
> to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions, and he
> ended up still hauling away the couches.

You may want to look into http://freecycle.org/. When I moved into my
current place I was merging 3 households. I had duplicates of many household
items. How many irons does one person need? I posted the unwanted items on
my local freecycle groups. The people who wanted them came to pick them up
(bonus for me since I do not own a car). I decluttered my life a bit, and my
unwanted items went to people who could use them. It was a win/win deal.

Kelly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kelly" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
>> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
>> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for
>> someone to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions,
>> and he ended up still hauling away the couches.
>>

> You may want to look into http://freecycle.org/. When I moved into my
> current place I was merging 3 households. I had duplicates of many
> household items. How many irons does one person need? I posted the
> unwanted items on my local freecycle groups. The people who wanted them
> came to pick them up (bonus for me since I do not own a car). I
> decluttered my life a bit, and my unwanted items went to people who could
> use them. It was a win/win deal.
>
> Kelly

Thanks, Kelly, for your suggestion. Right now I can't get my region to
come up. I'll have to turn on my pop-ups somewhere -

However, I don't sell anything thru the papers or internet any more because
of my concerns about strangers I've talked to on the phone or met on the
internet. In my posting, I referred to DH doing this himself in a
different neighborhood than where we live.
So far I've taken most of our 'stuff' to the Salvation Army. Now I have
some more personal-hobby stuff that I would prefer someone to have that
might use of it, rather than possibly after buying it at the Salvation Army,
then selling it themselves. My next try will be taking sports equipment
this spring to a local 'country' auction. They take 50%. Better than
nothing, I guess. At least the price goes up and someone who really wants
it will be buying it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kelly" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> It would be nice if you could leave (like I've heard other countries do)
>> your stuff at the curb and let people take it. DH did this sort of thing
>> when he was cleaning out his dad's house, he put 3 couches out for
>> someone to take (with a sign to take) and they took the pillow cushions,
>> and he ended up still hauling away the couches.
>>

> You may want to look into http://freecycle.org/. When I moved into my
> current place I was merging 3 households. I had duplicates of many
> household items. How many irons does one person need? I posted the
> unwanted items on my local freecycle groups. The people who wanted them
> came to pick them up (bonus for me since I do not own a car). I
> decluttered my life a bit, and my unwanted items went to people who could
> use them. It was a win/win deal.
>
> Kelly

Thanks, Kelly, for your suggestion. I see something in my region.

I haven't sold anything thru the papers or internet because
of my concerns about strangers I've talked to on the phone or met on the
internet. In my posting, I referred to DH doing this himself in a
different neighborhood than where we live.

So far I've taken most of our 'stuff' to the Salvation Army. Now I have
some more personal-hobby stuff that I would prefer someone to have that
might use of it, rather than possibly someone buying it at the Salvation
Army,
then selling it and making a profit themselves. This is silly of me, I
know, because my goal has been reached in
giving it to the Salvation Army for their benefit.

My next try will be taking sports equipment
this spring to a local 'country' auction. They take 50%. Better than
nothing, I guess. At least the price goes up and someone who really wants
it will be buying it.

DH is looking at this site you sent with a view to trying it. Thanks for
taking the time to
send it.
Dee Dee

junk post [email protected] General Cooking 5 05-07-2013 11:09 AM
Mexico bans junk foods in schools, now there is nothing to eat in the land of junk food [email protected] General Cooking 5 30-05-2010 10:22 PM
New Junk Food johnniemccoy@ Diabetic 0 06-05-2007 05:24 AM
Junk Food - 2 new johnniemccoy@ Diabetic 0 27-03-2007 11:40 PM
Junk jmcquown General Cooking 1 24-01-2006 03:33 PM