Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Default Limoncello

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Limoncello
>
> An Italian lemon-flavored liqueur, usually sipped very cold right out of
> the freezer. Also good over ice cream or trickled on cheesecake. A
> splash in fruit salad is good.
>
> 15 lemons (zested, pith and pulp discarded)
> 1.5 liters 100-proof vodka
> 4 cups sugar
> 5 cups water
>
> Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
> residue of pesticides or wax. Carefully peel the lemons with a zester or
> vegetable peeler retaining only the yellow zest. White pith and interior
> pulp should be completely discarded.
>
> In a 1-gallon glass jar, combine the vodka and the lemon zest. Cover the
> jar and let sit at least 10 days, and up to 40 days in a cool dark
> place. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook until sugar is
> completely dissolved, about 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding
> it to the limoncello mixture. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.
> After the rest period, strain and bottle, discarding the lemon zest.
> Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
>
> In Italy, the general sense about it is that the longer the zest and
> vodka mix rests, the better the taste will be.
>
> Bob Pastorio

Does the quality of the vodka make much difference? (I suspect not,
within reason.)

If I can only find 80 proof vodka, will it work to use that, and reduce
the water in the syrup to about 2 or 3 cups to compensate? (I can
calculate the exact amount of water to use in the syrup to keep the
proper final concentration of alcohol, but don't know if the lemon
essence will extract OK in the waker vodka.)

I made some Blueberry Gin liqueur once, but it was nasty because it was
too sweet and not alcoholic enough.

(What to do with the leftover .25 litres from a 1.75 jug of vodka...)

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>> Limoncello
>>
>> An Italian lemon-flavored liqueur, usually sipped very cold right out of
>> the freezer. Also good over ice cream or trickled on cheesecake. A splash
>> in fruit salad is good.
>>
>> 15 lemons (zested, pith and pulp discarded)
>> 1.5 liters 100-proof vodka
>> 4 cups sugar
>> 5 cups water
>>
>> Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
>> residue of pesticides or wax. Carefully peel the lemons with a zester or
>> vegetable peeler retaining only the yellow zest. White pith and interior
>> pulp should be completely discarded.
>>
>> In a 1-gallon glass jar, combine the vodka and the lemon zest. Cover the
>> jar and let sit at least 10 days, and up to 40 days in a cool dark place.
>> Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook until sugar is
>> completely dissolved, about 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding
>> it to the limoncello mixture. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.
>> After the rest period, strain and bottle, discarding the lemon zest. Keep
>> in the freezer until ready to serve.
>>
>> In Italy, the general sense about it is that the longer the zest and
>> vodka mix rests, the better the taste will be.
>>
>> Bob Pastorio
>>

> Does the quality of the vodka make much difference? (I suspect not,
> within reason.)
>
> If I can only find 80 proof vodka, will it work to use that, and reduce
> the water in the syrup to about 2 or 3 cups to compensate? (I can
> calculate the exact amount of water to use in the syrup to keep the proper
> final concentration of alcohol, but don't know if the lemon essence will
> extract OK in the waker vodka.)
>
> I made some Blueberry Gin liqueur once, but it was nasty because it was
> too sweet and not alcoholic enough.
>
> (What to do with the leftover .25 litres from a 1.75 jug of vodka...)
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
it another flavour. Limoncelli that are sold in shop are very sugared and I
don't like them. So I have tried to do it with some lemons I have in the
garden.
very nice!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't remember exactly how I made it, except it was absolutely
delicious. Kept it in the freezer, and it lasted about three days.

I just used regular cheap vodka -- Gordons, I think -- and may have cut
down on the water, since it doesn't seem like you'd need that much to
dissolve the sugar (which I also cut down).

One important point: get organic lemons. Regular lemons are waxed,
and since you're using the peel this means you'd be using the wax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
> it another flavour.

Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
charcoal.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:33:20 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>

>> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
>> it another flavour.

>Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>charcoal.

Everclear is always available.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>

>> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka
>> give
>> it another flavour.

> Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
> here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
> charcoal.

Ah! Ok! )))
Only a question: why don't you use alcohol?
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:33:20 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>"Pandora" > wrote:
>>

>>>The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
>>>it another flavour.

>>Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>>here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>>charcoal.

> Everclear is always available.
>
> Boron

It's not available in some states.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:33:20 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Pandora" > wrote:
> >

> >> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
> >> it another flavour.

> >Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
> >here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
> >charcoal.

> Everclear is always available.

Somewhere. But not he

http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > In article >,
> > "Pandora" > wrote:
> >

> >> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka
> >> give
> >> it another flavour.

> > Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
> > here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
> > charcoal.

> Ah! Ok! )))
> Only a question: why don't you use alcohol?

In the US, vodka made here *is* alcohol. And we can't buy pure (95%)
alcohol, for some unknown reason.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:33:20 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>> >Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>> >here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>> >charcoal.

>> Everclear is always available.

> Somewhere. But not he
>
> http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this Everclear!
And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that is
cheaper?
pandy

> --
> Dan Abel
>
> Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> "Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>> > here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>> > charcoal.

>> Ah! Ok! )))
>> Only a question: why don't you use alcohol?

> In the US, vodka made here *is* alcohol. And we can't buy pure (95%)
> alcohol, for some unknown reason.

Perhaps the government is afraid you use it to make liqueurs !?!???????
I don't understand!
Thjank you for the answer
Pandora

> --
> Dan Abel
>
> Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:50:58 +0100, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> In article >,
>> "Pandora" > wrote:
>>

>>> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka
>>> give
>>> it another flavour.

>> Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>> here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>> charcoal.

>Ah! Ok! )))
>Only a question: why don't you use alcohol?
>Cheers
>Pandora

There has been a long running thread on eGullet about limoncello, and
the reason they suggest vodka, is that the grain alcohol seems to give
the limoncello a harsher taste.

The recipe given there is one that was also mentioned by the LA Times
as the best recipe, and the eGullet person was given credit for it.

And, in that recipe, they suggest using the peel of 1 lime as well, to
approximate the taste of the lemons they use in Italy. Also, toward
the end of the thread, it is suggested that lemons that aren't fully
yellow are good for limoncello.

Also, supposedly Meyer lemons make a lovely limoncello.

The limoncello thread:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40048

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Pandora wrote:
> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this Everclear!
> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that is
> cheaper?
> pandy

"Everclear" is a brand of pure-grain alcohol (190 proof or 95%
alcohol) and is used most often as an inexpensive means of adding
alcohol to punch style drinks for large numbers of people.
Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On 23 Jan 2006 13:52:09 -0800, "kevnbro" >
wrote:

>Pandora wrote:
>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this Everclear!
>> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that is
>> cheaper?
>> pandy

> "Everclear" is a brand of pure-grain alcohol (190 proof or 95%
>alcohol) and is used most often as an inexpensive means of adding
>alcohol to punch style drinks for large numbers of people.
> Kev

Ahhh the High School days... " Can shake " " Purple Jesus" etc..
The problem is... If you didn't care for the taste as it went down..
you probably won't like the taste as it comes back up...
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:40:17 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:33:20 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Pandora" > wrote:
> >

> >> The real italian recipe is without vodka. Only alcohol! Because vodka give
> >> it another flavour.

> >Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
> >here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
> >charcoal.

> Everclear is always available.
>
> Boron

Not in all states.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:10:07 +0100, Pandora wrote:

> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this Everclear!
> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that is
> cheaper?
> pandy

What is this "alcohol" you're talking about?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:50:58 +0100, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dan Abel" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> Things are different between Europe and the US. In the US, vodkas made
>>> here have no flavor. By law, they must be filtered 8 hours through
>>> charcoal.

>>Ah! Ok! )))
>>Only a question: why don't you use alcohol?
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> There has been a long running thread on eGullet about limoncello, and
> the reason they suggest vodka, is that the grain alcohol seems to give
> the limoncello a harsher taste.
>
> The recipe given there is one that was also mentioned by the LA Times
> as the best recipe, and the eGullet person was given credit for it.
>
> And, in that recipe, they suggest using the peel of 1 lime as well, to
> approximate the taste of the lemons they use in Italy. Also, toward
> the end of the thread, it is suggested that lemons that aren't fully
> yellow are good for limoncello.
>
> Also, supposedly Meyer lemons make a lovely limoncello.
>
> The limoncello thread:
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40048

Oh thank you! BTW I want to tell you a thing. In my recipe of limoncello I
have put also leaves! They give to the liqueur a particular taste! It is
very good like this.
Cheers
Pandora

> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"kevnbro" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

> Pandora wrote:
>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this
>> Everclear!
>> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that
>> is
>> cheaper?
>> pandy

> "Everclear" is a brand of pure-grain alcohol (190 proof or 95%
> alcohol) and is used most often as an inexpensive means of adding
> alcohol to punch style drinks for large numbers of people.
> Kev

Ok! Thank you very much for your answer.
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Chuck" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On 23 Jan 2006 13:52:09 -0800, "kevnbro" >
> wrote:
>

>>Pandora wrote:
>>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this
>>> Everclear!
>>> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that
>>> is
>>> cheaper?
>>> pandy

>> "Everclear" is a brand of pure-grain alcohol (190 proof or 95%
>>alcohol) and is used most often as an inexpensive means of adding
>>alcohol to punch style drinks for large numbers of people.
>> Kev

> Ahhh the High School days... " Can shake " " Purple Jesus" etc..
> The problem is... If you didn't care for the taste as it went down..
> you probably won't like the taste as it comes back up...
> Chuck (in SC)

Probably...
Pandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:10:07 +0100, Pandora wrote:
>
>> Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I didn't know the existence of this
>> Everclear!
>> And is much more expensive then alcohol! Why don't you use alcohol that
>> is
>> cheaper?
>> pandy

> What is this "alcohol" you're talking about?

Alcohol for liqueurs (is white, tasteless and doesn't smell of anithing) at
90°.
Cheers
pandora
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with regular
lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But it's a
couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher. Also
despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it be wax
remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 24 Jan 2006 05:38:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stark?

> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
> What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with regular
> lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But it's a
> couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher. Also
> despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it be wax
> remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
> Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.

Ewwww! Reminds me of the worm in tequila, but at least it's dead. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Stark wrote:
> What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with regular
> lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But it's a
> couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher. Also
> despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it be wax
> remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
> Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.

We keep our Limoncello in the freezer, which of course doesn't freeze
due to its' high volume of alcohol.
If you prefer it room temp. pour a glass and let it sit for a few
minutes. Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Limoncello
>>
>> An Italian lemon-flavored liqueur, usually sipped very cold right out
>> of the freezer. Also good over ice cream or trickled on cheesecake. A
>> splash in fruit salad is good.
>>
>> 15 lemons (zested, pith and pulp discarded)
>> 1.5 liters 100-proof vodka
>> 4 cups sugar
>> 5 cups water
>>
>> Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
>> residue of pesticides or wax. Carefully peel the lemons with a zester
>> or vegetable peeler retaining only the yellow zest. White pith and
>> interior pulp should be completely discarded.
>>
>> In a 1-gallon glass jar, combine the vodka and the lemon zest. Cover
>> the jar and let sit at least 10 days, and up to 40 days in a cool dark
>> place. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and cook until sugar
>> is completely dissolved, about 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before
>> adding it to the limoncello mixture. Allow to rest for another 10 to
>> 40 days. After the rest period, strain and bottle, discarding the
>> lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
>>
>> In Italy, the general sense about it is that the longer the zest and
>> vodka mix rests, the better the taste will be.
>>
>> Bob Pastorio
>>

> Does the quality of the vodka make much difference? (I suspect not,
> within reason.)

No.

> If I can only find 80 proof vodka, will it work to use that, and reduce
> the water in the syrup to about 2 or 3 cups to compensate? (I can
> calculate the exact amount of water to use in the syrup to keep the
> proper final concentration of alcohol, but don't know if the lemon
> essence will extract OK in the weaker vodka.)

I don't know, but since Italian limoncello is usually made with a higher
proof alcohol, I suspect it may affect the final extraction.

> I made some Blueberry Gin liqueur once, but it was nasty because it was
> too sweet and not alcoholic enough.

Ah, youth...<LOL>

> (What to do with the leftover .25 litres from a 1.75 jug of vodka...)

Wait. Lemme think...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:38:42 GMT, Stark wrote:

>In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
>
>What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with regular
>lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But it's a
>couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher. Also
>despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it be wax
>remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
>Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.

Mine lasted for over a year in the freezer. I might have been good
longer but it didn't last longer.

Pan Ohco
I would like to see the bottom of my monitor, but I have cats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

In article 9>, Wayne
Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 24 Jan 2006 05:38:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stark?
>
> > In article >, zxcvbob
> > > wrote:
> >
> > What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with regular
> > lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But it's a
> > couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher. Also
> > despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it be wax
> > remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
> > Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.

> Ewwww! Reminds me of the worm in tequila, but at least it's dead. :-)

The squigglies are not squiggling. But I strained them and after a few
days they return. Hmmmmmm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 25 Jan 2006 05:43:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stark?

> In article 9>, Wayne
> Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Tue 24 Jan 2006 05:38:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stark?
>>
>> > In article >, zxcvbob
>> >
>> > What's the shelf life of homemade limoncello. I made some with
>> > regular lemons and potato vodka which was very good initially. But
>> > it's a couple of months old now and seems to taste a little harsher.
>> > Also despite straining it's developing little squigglies. Could it
>> > be wax remnants from the lemons or other impurities from the mixture?
>> > Seems like with all the alcohol the squigglies would be harmless.

>> Ewwww! Reminds me of the worm in tequila, but at least it's dead. :-)

> The squigglies are not squiggling. But I strained them and after a few
> days they return. Hmmmmmm.

Wonder what those would look like under a microscope? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Limoncello Audet Recipes (moderated) 0 20-08-2006 06:01 AM
Limoncello Jan Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2006 12:31 PM
Limoncello Bob (this one) Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2006 03:05 PM
Limoncello International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 20-01-2006 04:08 AM