Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Ping: Wayne - cheesecake directions after removing from oven

Hi Wayne,

regarding this part of the recipe:
Quote,
Pour batter into the greased springform pan. Place pan into the heated water
bath. Bake for 15 minutes, and
then lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
Continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until top is light golden brown and cake
is pulling away from the sides of the pan.

Turn the oven off when finished cooking and leave the cake in the oven to
cool for 3 more hours. (This will keep the cake nice and tall.) Then remove
cake and refrigerate before serving. Serve chilled.

Unquote.

I've got the cheesecake in the oven. It will be around 1 before I turn off
the oven and leave in the oven to cool for 3 more hours. For anyone who
bakes cheesecake and LEAVES THEIR STONE IN THE OVEN ALL THE TIME, I think
this is a very good reason to think about not leaving it in the oven at all
times.

Then it will be around 4 until it has finished sitting in the oven. Now,
QUESTION:

Instead of putting it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, making it 8pm and too
late (digestion problems) to eat a heaping piece, I want to leave it in
overnight, which is what I've seen other recipes.

SO: Do I leave the cheesecake IN THE PAN overnight, or do I attempt to
remove it from the pan before refrigerating. Note I used the word,
"attempt." Oh, I hope I leave it in the pan!

And, also, if I were just putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours and
then to eat, would I leave it in the pan for those 4 hours, and then remove
from the pan.

You see, just saying in the recipe directions "remove cake" doesn't specify
clearly enough for this ole gray head whether it means "remove cake [from
oven] and refrigerate..." So, I wonder does it mean "remove cake (from pan)
and refrigerate.

I made some critical mistakes along the way so far, but just larnin'.

I'll post pictures when it's all said and done.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 09:56:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> Hi Wayne,
>
> regarding this part of the recipe:
> Quote,
> Pour batter into the greased springform pan. Place pan into the heated
> water bath. Bake for 15 minutes, and
> then lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
> Continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until top is light golden brown and
> cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
>
> Turn the oven off when finished cooking and leave the cake in the oven
> cool for 3 more hours. (This will keep the cake nice and tall.) Then
> remove cake and refrigerate before serving. Serve chilled.
>
> Unquote.
>

> I've got the cheesecake in the oven. It will be around 1 before I turn
> off the oven and leave in the oven to cool for 3 more hours. For anyone
> who bakes cheesecake and LEAVES THEIR STONE IN THE OVEN ALL THE TIME, I
> think this is a very good reason to think about not leaving it in the
> oven at all times.
>

> Then it will be around 4 until it has finished sitting in the oven.
> Now, QUESTION:
>
> Instead of putting it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, making it 8pm and
> too late (digestion problems) to eat a heaping piece, I want to leave it
> in overnight, which is what I've seen other recipes.
>

> SO: Do I leave the cheesecake IN THE PAN overnight, or do I attempt to
> remove it from the pan before refrigerating. Note I used the word,
> "attempt." Oh, I hope I leave it in the pan!
>
> And, also, if I were just putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours and
> then to eat, would I leave it in the pan for those 4 hours, and then
> remove from the pan.
>

> You see, just saying in the recipe directions "remove cake" doesn't
> specify clearly enough for this ole gray head whether it means "remove
> cake [from oven] and refrigerate..." So, I wonder does it mean "remove
> cake (from pan) and refrigerate.
>

> I made some critical mistakes along the way so far, but just larnin'.
>
> I'll post pictures when it's all said and done.
>
> Dee Dee

Dee, simple answer... I *always* leave the cheesecake in the pan no matter
where it is until I'm about to serve it for the first time. So, oven or
fridge, no matter. And that goes for every type of cheesecake I've ever
made. I'll look forward to the pictures!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> Dee, simple answer... I *always* leave the cheesecake in the pan no
> matter
> where it is until I'm about to serve it for the first time. So, oven or
> fridge, no matter. And that goes for every type of cheesecake I've ever
> made. I'll look forward to the pictures!!!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Thanks so much, Wayne.

My cheesecake is in the oven now for the wait until it comes out and goes
into the refrigerator (CHEESECAKE IN THE PAN), overnight.

The cheesecake pan is still in the bain marie; should I have taken it out of
the bain marie after the complete baking and before the holding pattern in
the oven, OR should the cheesecake pan remain in the bain marie until it
goes into the refrigerator.

I'll bet the answer is: let it sit in the bain marie until it comes out of
the oven.

Oh! Oh!! Oh!!! Almost forgot!! Do I let it sit on the counter a while to
cool it a little bit further before refrigerating it, or should I swoosh it
right into the refrigerator?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Cheesecake pics so far

Getting it together
http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
*********

Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg

I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not sure
really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until soft' or
mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put it in the
mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen up, I moved
the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was beating it -- Yes, I
beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!

SAP #2!
DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him really
going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been keeping an
eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.

When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said to
blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1 minute just
would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps, but there were
still plenty.
SAP #3!
*********

http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was slightly
golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it 5 more
minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven off. I
can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away, and I
believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.

Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned off,
and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where the
cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a picture
when I remove from the oven.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> Then it will be around 4 until it has finished sitting in the oven. Now,
> QUESTION:
>
> Instead of putting it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, making it 8pm and too
> late (digestion problems) to eat a heaping piece, I want to leave it in
> overnight, which is what I've seen other recipes.
>

> SO: Do I leave the cheesecake IN THE PAN overnight, or do I attempt to
> remove it from the pan before refrigerating. Note I used the word,
> "attempt." Oh, I hope I leave it in the pan!
>
> And, also, if I were just putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours and
> then to eat, would I leave it in the pan for those 4 hours, and then remove
> from the pan.
>

> You see, just saying in the recipe directions "remove cake" doesn't specify
> clearly enough for this ole gray head whether it means "remove cake [from
> oven] and refrigerate..." So, I wonder does it mean "remove cake (from pan)
> and refrigerate.

Leave it in the pan as long as it's in the refrigerator. Take it out
of the pan when you put it on a serving platter. Leave it on the
bottom part of your springform pan, unless you're ready to go big
time. I've removed them successfully, but it doesn't sound like
you're ready to take that step.

If you made that cheesecake in a pie plate, ignore the above advise
and leave it in the pan.

over and out

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> Cheesecake pics so far
>
> Getting it together
> http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
> *********
>
> Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
> http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg
>
> I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not sure
> really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until soft' or
> mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put it in the
> mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen up, I moved
> the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was beating it -- Yes, I
> beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!
>
> SAP #2!
> DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him really
> going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been keeping an
> eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.
>
> When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said to
> blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1 minute just
> would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps, but there were
> still plenty.
> SAP #3!
> *********
>
> http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
> End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
> time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was slightly
> golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it 5 more
> minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven off. I
> can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away, and I
> believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.
>
> Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned off,
> and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where the
> cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a picture
> when I remove from the oven.
>
> Dee Dee

Dee, the end result so far looks pretty good, if you ask me. Why do you
have the tin foil on the pan? I finally bought a springform pan set of
three but haven't attempted using them yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Cheesecake pics so far
>>
>> Getting it together
>> http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
>> *********
>>
>> Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
>> http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg
>>
>> I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not sure
>> really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until soft'
>> or mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put it in
>> the mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen up, I
>> moved the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was beating
>> t -- Yes, I beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!
>>
>> SAP #2!
>> DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him really
>> going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been keeping
>> an eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.
>>
>> When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said to
>> blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1 minute
>> just would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps, but there
>> were still plenty.
>> SAP #3!
>> *********
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
>> End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
>> time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was
>> slightly golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it 5
>> more minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven
>> off. I can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away,
>> and I believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.
>>
>> Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned off,
>> and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where the
>> cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a
>> picture when I remove from the oven.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Dee, the end result so far looks pretty good, if you ask me. Why do you
> have the tin foil on the pan? I finally bought a springform pan set of
> three but haven't attempted using them yet.

Thanks, The proof is in the pudding.
A springform bottom is separate from the ring of the springform pan. Two
parts: bottom and ring. When you sit a pan that is not sealed, the water
will leak into it if you are using a bain marie; i.e., putting the pan into
another pan of water.
I see that mine didn't leak water up into it, but the butter leaked out of
the pan in between the foil and the bottom of the pan itself.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Cheesecake pics so far
>
> Getting it together
> http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
> *********
>
> Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
> http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg
>
> I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not sure
> really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until soft' or
> mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put it in the
> mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen up, I moved
> the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was beating it -- Yes,
> I beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!
>
> SAP #2!
> DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him really
> going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been keeping
> an eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.
>
> When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said to
> blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1 minute
> just would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps, but there
> were still plenty.
> SAP #3!
> *********
>
> http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
> End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
> time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was
> slightly golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it 5
> more minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven
> off. I can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away,
> and I believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.
>
> Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned off,
> and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where the
> cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a
> picture when I remove from the oven.
>
> Dee Dee

Here's the rest of the story:

http://tinypic.com/mb2vyh.jpg
Looking at the rim of the pan, you can see how much the cheesecake fell. DH
asked: What makes it Rise? If one doesn't beat the eggs for fluffiness,
what makes it rise. Mine fell despite the fluffiness of the eggs. Did it
fall too much? I will know when I cut into it. I really can't tell at this
point.

http://tinypic.com/mb334o.jpg
The butter that leaked out from the cheesecake pan into the foil lining.
This, patches, is an example of the reason for wrapping in foil, as the
water can get into the cheesecake. I wonder if there might be an advantage
to using a solid pan and no bain marie. I've seen posts somewhere that say
their recipes are just as good. And then that opinion, would depend on their
expectations.

http://tinypic.com/mb2yyc.jpg
The final product, a little dark on the top. The aluminum foil has been
taken off and you can see the bain marie size.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>Dee Randall wrote:
>>

>>>Cheesecake pics so far
>>>
>>>Getting it together
>>>http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
>>>*********
>>>
>>>Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
>>>http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg
>>>
>>>I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not sure
>>>really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until soft'
>>>or mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put it in
>>>the mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen up, I
>>>moved the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was beating
>>>t -- Yes, I beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!
>>>
>>>SAP #2!
>>>DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him really
>>>going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been keeping
>>>an eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.
>>>
>>>When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said to
>>>blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1 minute
>>>just would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps, but there
>>>were still plenty.
>>>SAP #3!
>>>*********
>>>
>>>http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
>>>End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
>>>time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was
>>>slightly golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it 5
>>>more minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven
>>>off. I can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away,
>>>and I believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.
>>>
>>>Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned off,
>>>and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where the
>>>cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a
>>>picture when I remove from the oven.
>>>
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>>Dee, the end result so far looks pretty good, if you ask me. Why do you
>>have the tin foil on the pan? I finally bought a springform pan set of
>>three but haven't attempted using them yet.

> Thanks, The proof is in the pudding.
> A springform bottom is separate from the ring of the springform pan. Two
> parts: bottom and ring. When you sit a pan that is not sealed, the water
> will leak into it if you are using a bain marie; i.e., putting the pan into
> another pan of water.
> I see that mine didn't leak water up into it, but the butter leaked out of
> the pan in between the foil and the bottom of the pan itself.
> Dee Dee

Oh, ok that makes sense. Can you tell I haven't baked a cheesecake? I
have a nice recipe for a no-bake cheesecake but I'm ready to try my hand
at a real cheesecake. Yours does look really good! If I can get one to
come out that good, I'll be happy. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:

>>>Dee, the end result so far looks pretty good, if you ask me. Why do you
>>>have the tin foil on the pan? I finally bought a springform pan set of
>>>three but haven't attempted using them yet.

>> Thanks, The proof is in the pudding.
>> A springform bottom is separate from the ring of the springform pan. Two
>> parts: bottom and ring. When you sit a pan that is not sealed, the water
>> will leak into it if you are using a bain marie; i.e., putting the pan
>> into another pan of water.
>> I see that mine didn't leak water up into it, but the butter leaked out
>> of the pan in between the foil and the bottom of the pan itself.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Oh, ok that makes sense. Can you tell I haven't baked a cheesecake? I
> have a nice recipe for a no-bake cheesecake but I'm ready to try my hand
> at a real cheesecake. Yours does look really good! If I can get one to
> come out that good, I'll be happy. Thanks

Thanks for the compliments BUT I'll wait until I cut it tomorrow -- I'll bet
it's only an inch high - sigh!
We'll see.
I'm not sure that I would care that much for no-bake cheesecake -- but I've
probably had one and not known it. I can smell/taste raw eggs a mile away.
(Assuming it does contain eggs.)
I was going to do the cheesecake AND some genealogy that someone so
graciously sent me, hoping to get both done. The genealogy will have to
wait until tomorrow - like everything else.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 01:25:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> Cheesecake pics so far
>
> Getting it together
> http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
> *********
>
> Lumps and air: Big Mistakes
> http://tinypic.com/maz8ki.jpg
>
> I didn't wait long enough to let the cream cheese 'soften.' I'm not
> sure really what 'soften' means, thinking it could mean 'warm up until
> soft' or mix in mixer to sort of cream it. So, guess what I did: I put
> it in the mixer to soften and getting carried away when it didn't loosen
> up, I moved the speed up and up and up, so that before long I was
> beating it -- Yes, I beat air into it by doing this - SAP!!
>
> SAP #2!
> DH whisked the egg mixture until a little bit frothy. I heard him
> really going to town with the whisk before I yelled. We should've been
> keeping an eye out on each other's mixing/beating chores.
>
> When I added the egg mixture to the cream mixture, the directions said
> to blend 1 minute, but I mixed/blended longer than this because 1
> minute just would not pull it together. DH smashed some of the lumps,
> but there were still plenty.
> SAP #3!
> *********
>
> http://tinypic.com/maz7tl.jpg
> End of baking when I turned the oven off. At the end of the 275º baking
> time, it wasn't golden at all. I baked 10 more minutes, and it was
> slightly golden, but no signs of pulling away from the pan. I baked it
> 5 more minutes (when the picture was taken) and decided to turn the oven
> off. I can zoom in the pic and see that the sides weren't pulling away,
> and I believe it was too brown to keep the oven on longer.
>
> Now the cheesecake has been sitting in the oven with the heat turned
> off, and the nice rise has fallen. I can see the rim around it where
> the cheesecake had risen to and now fallen from, but will wait to take a
> picture when I remove from the oven.

Dee, I think the cheesecake looks lovely!

It's not unusual for a cheesecake to fall a bit as it cools. Hopefully it
got rid of any extra air you managed to beat into it. :-) You should end
uith a nice solid cake. I like the color, not overly dark. Using the
baking method you used generally prevents cracking of the top and that's a
plus.

When I soften cream cheese, butter, or any other product that needs to be
left out until soft, I allow it to reach room temperature. It seems
perfect them.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:26:41 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> Then it will be around 4 until it has finished sitting in the oven. Now,
>> QUESTION:
>>
>> Instead of putting it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, making it 8pm and too
>> late (digestion problems) to eat a heaping piece, I want to leave it in
>> overnight, which is what I've seen other recipes.
>>

>> SO: Do I leave the cheesecake IN THE PAN overnight, or do I attempt to
>> remove it from the pan before refrigerating. Note I used the word,
>> "attempt." Oh, I hope I leave it in the pan!
>>
>> And, also, if I were just putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours and
>> then to eat, would I leave it in the pan for those 4 hours, and then remove
>> from the pan.
>>

>> You see, just saying in the recipe directions "remove cake" doesn't specify
>> clearly enough for this ole gray head whether it means "remove cake [from
>> oven] and refrigerate..." So, I wonder does it mean "remove cake (from pan)
>> and refrigerate.
>>

>Leave it in the pan as long as it's in the refrigerator. Take it out
>of the pan when you put it on a serving platter. Leave it on the
>bottom part of your springform pan, unless you're ready to go big
>time. I've removed them successfully, but it doesn't sound like
>you're ready to take that step.
>
>If you made that cheesecake in a pie plate, ignore the above advise
>and leave it in the pan.
>
>over and out

I always cool my cheesecakes in the pan so they'll be more firm for
removal.. less apt to break..
I splurged and bought a 15 inch offset spatula just for loosening and
removing cheesecakes from the spring form bottom.. I've never had one
stick or break with the spatula.. I insert the point between the crust
and pan bottom as far as it will go.. then rotate it to ensure that
the whole cake is loose prior to lifting it..
I also make sure that the bottom of my spring form is turned so that
the cheesecake ends up more on a pedestal than down in a slight
recess. I don't know which is supposed to be the upper side of the
"bottom"...
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 05:32:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:26:41 -0800, sf >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:56:11 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
>>>
>>> Then it will be around 4 until it has finished sitting in the oven.
>>> Now, QUESTION:
>>>
>>> Instead of putting it in the refrigerator for 4 hours, making it 8pm
>>> and too late (digestion problems) to eat a heaping piece, I want to
>>> leave it in overnight, which is what I've seen other recipes.
>>>

>>> SO: Do I leave the cheesecake IN THE PAN overnight, or do I attempt
>>> to remove it from the pan before refrigerating. Note I used the word,
>>> "attempt." Oh, I hope I leave it in the pan!
>>>
>>> And, also, if I were just putting it in the refrigerator for 6 hours
>>> and then to eat, would I leave it in the pan for those 4 hours, and
>>> then remove from the pan.
>>>

>>> You see, just saying in the recipe directions "remove cake" doesn't
>>> specify clearly enough for this ole gray head whether it means
>>> "remove cake [from oven] and refrigerate..." So, I wonder does it
>>> mean "remove cake (from pan) and refrigerate.
>>>

>>Leave it in the pan as long as it's in the refrigerator. Take it out
>>of the pan when you put it on a serving platter. Leave it on the
>>bottom part of your springform pan, unless you're ready to go big
>>time. I've removed them successfully, but it doesn't sound like
>>you're ready to take that step.
>>
>>If you made that cheesecake in a pie plate, ignore the above advise
>>and leave it in the pan.
>>
>>over and out

> I always cool my cheesecakes in the pan so they'll be more firm for
> removal.. less apt to break..
> I splurged and bought a 15 inch offset spatula just for loosening and
> removing cheesecakes from the spring form bottom.. I've never had one
> stick or break with the spatula.. I insert the point between the crust
> and pan bottom as far as it will go.. then rotate it to ensure that
> the whole cake is loose prior to lifting it..
> I also make sure that the bottom of my spring form is turned so that
> the cheesecake ends up more on a pedestal than down in a slight
> recess. I don't know which is supposed to be the upper side of the
> "bottom"...
> Chuck (in SC)

You've placed the bottom exactly the way it's supposed to be.

Good tip with the offset spatula.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On 22 Jan 2006 01:48:22 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat 21 Jan 2006 05:32:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?
>
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:26:41 -0800, sf >
>> wrote:

>>>Leave it in the pan as long as it's in the refrigerator. Take it out
>>>of the pan when you put it on a serving platter. Leave it on the
>>>bottom part of your springform pan, unless you're ready to go big
>>>time. I've removed them successfully, but it doesn't sound like
>>>you're ready to take that step.
>>>
>>>If you made that cheesecake in a pie plate, ignore the above advise
>>>and leave it in the pan.
>>>
>>>over and out

>> I always cool my cheesecakes in the pan so they'll be more firm for
>> removal.. less apt to break..
>> I splurged and bought a 15 inch offset spatula just for loosening and
>> removing cheesecakes from the spring form bottom.. I've never had one
>> stick or break with the spatula.. I insert the point between the crust
>> and pan bottom as far as it will go.. then rotate it to ensure that
>> the whole cake is loose prior to lifting it..
>> I also make sure that the bottom of my spring form is turned so that
>> the cheesecake ends up more on a pedestal than down in a slight
>> recess. I don't know which is supposed to be the upper side of the
>> "bottom"...
>> Chuck (in SC)
>>

>You've placed the bottom exactly the way it's supposed to be.
>
>Good tip with the offset spatula.

Thanky.. I try .. sometimes ;-)..
ALSO.. I've got one spring form.. that has small dimples made into
it.. I prefer the smooth bottom pans.. they seem to be less apt to
stick..
The three for less than $10, "baker's secret", made in China are my
favorite.. though I've never used the two smaller sizes that are
stacked inside the 10" size.. I need to though as the large
cheesecakes are too big for some of my friends.
I just need to spend a day of trial and error to get the cooking times
/ temps correct.. Might be on my "to do list" for tomorrow..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 06:45:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

> On 22 Jan 2006 01:48:22 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat 21 Jan 2006 05:32:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

>>> I always cool my cheesecakes in the pan so they'll be more firm for
>>> removal.. less apt to break..
>>> I splurged and bought a 15 inch offset spatula just for loosening and
>>> removing cheesecakes from the spring form bottom.. I've never had one
>>> stick or break with the spatula.. I insert the point between the crust
>>> and pan bottom as far as it will go.. then rotate it to ensure that
>>> the whole cake is loose prior to lifting it..
>>> I also make sure that the bottom of my spring form is turned so that
>>> the cheesecake ends up more on a pedestal than down in a slight
>>> recess. I don't know which is supposed to be the upper side of the
>>> "bottom"... Chuck (in SC)
>>>

>>You've placed the bottom exactly the way it's supposed to be.
>>
>>Good tip with the offset spatula.

> Thanky.. I try .. sometimes ;-)..
> ALSO.. I've got one spring form.. that has small dimples made into
> it.. I prefer the smooth bottom pans.. they seem to be less apt to
> stick..
> The three for less than $10, "baker's secret", made in China are my
> favorite.. though I've never used the two smaller sizes that are
> stacked inside the 10" size.. I need to though as the large
> cheesecakes are too big for some of my friends.
> I just need to spend a day of trial and error to get the cooking times
> / temps correct.. Might be on my "to do list" for tomorrow..
> Chuck (in SC)

The dimpled bottoms are "supposed" make them less prone to sticking, but I
haven't found that true, either. I don't think you need to adjust your
temperature when baking smaller cheesecakes, just the time. Those smaller
pans, like 7" or so, make really cute cheesecakes. I like to fill the pan as
high as practical to make them taller and a bit more exagerated.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

Default Cheesecake by mail?

Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
don't know the new name.

Ideas?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On 22 Jan 2006 02:58:02 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat 21 Jan 2006 06:45:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?
>
>> On 22 Jan 2006 01:48:22 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat 21 Jan 2006 05:32:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

>>>You've placed the bottom exactly the way it's supposed to be.
>>>
>>>Good tip with the offset spatula.

>> Thanky.. I try .. sometimes ;-)..
>> ALSO.. I've got one spring form.. that has small dimples made into
>> it.. I prefer the smooth bottom pans.. they seem to be less apt to
>> stick..
>> The three for less than $10, "baker's secret", made in China are my
>> favorite.. though I've never used the two smaller sizes that are
>> stacked inside the 10" size.. I need to though as the large
>> cheesecakes are too big for some of my friends.
>> I just need to spend a day of trial and error to get the cooking times
>> / temps correct.. Might be on my "to do list" for tomorrow..
>> Chuck (in SC)
>>

>The dimpled bottoms are "supposed" make them less prone to sticking, but I
>haven't found that true, either. I don't think you need to adjust your
>temperature when baking smaller cheesecakes, just the time. Those smaller
>pans, like 7" or so, make really cute cheesecakes. I like to fill the pan as
>high as practical to make them taller and a bit more exagerated.

Ok,, thanks I'm a pretty good judge on the time... IF I keep checking
I know what to look for on doneness.. (with my current recipes)

Also, for the OP if you're still there..
Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
slippery..
Chuck (in SC)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 07:15:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
> to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
> I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
> don't know the new name.
>
> Ideas?

I don't think you can go wrong with Junior's Cheesecake. I've never tasted
a bad one.

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

There is also a Texas company that has a wide variety of cheesecakes and
hss won some honors for theirs, but I've never tasted it.

http://www.nytxccc.com/

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
> to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
> I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
> don't know the new name.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Gift certificate for one of their local bakeries that makes them? :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 07:20:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

> On 22 Jan 2006 02:58:02 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat 21 Jan 2006 06:45:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

>>> Thanky.. I try .. sometimes ;-)..
>>> ALSO.. I've got one spring form.. that has small dimples made into
>>> it.. I prefer the smooth bottom pans.. they seem to be less apt to
>>> stick.. The three for less than $10, "baker's secret", made in China
>>> are my favorite.. though I've never used the two smaller sizes that
>>> are stacked inside the 10" size.. I need to though as the large
>>> cheesecakes are too big for some of my friends.
>>> I just need to spend a day of trial and error to get the cooking times
>>> / temps correct.. Might be on my "to do list" for tomorrow..
>>> Chuck (in SC)
>>>

>>The dimpled bottoms are "supposed" make them less prone to sticking, but
>>I haven't found that true, either. I don't think you need to adjust
>>your temperature when baking smaller cheesecakes, just the time. Those
>>smaller pans, like 7" or so, make really cute cheesecakes. I like to
>>fill the pan as high as practical to make them taller and a bit more
>>exagerated.

> Ok,, thanks I'm a pretty good judge on the time... IF I keep checking
> I know what to look for on doneness.. (with my current recipes)
>
> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
> slippery..
> Chuck (in SC)

Perfect way to cut them. Glad you mentioned it. I took a large cheesecake
to a party once, but forgot to take dental floss with me. Everybody
thought I was nuts when I asked for it, but they enjoyed watching. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 07:15:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?
>
>> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake?

> I don't think you can go wrong with Junior's Cheesecake. I've never
> tasted
> a bad one.
>
> http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/
>
> There is also a Texas company that has a wide variety of cheesecakes and
> hss won some honors for theirs, but I've never tasted it.
>
> http://www.nytxccc.com/

Thanks very much, Wayne. Good choices.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> Gift certificate for one of their local bakeries that makes them? :-)

Heh, I don't think they have that there, I don't ... and the last
thing they need is anything that involves them spending one
second. They are wildly busy.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
> slippery..
> Chuck (in SC)

Thanks for the hint and your interest, I've got a dozen or two of dental
floss around in a box, hope there is unwaxed/unflavored.

Re the pans 3 for $10.00 you mentioned, I think I saw some of them a few
weeks ago, don't know where now. DH wanted me to get them, but I was
looking for a 10". These receipes that call for either 8" or 9" or 10", it
had ne goin'. I wanted to buy a 10" springform by Kaiser, but the 9" at $22
was highly rated, and the 10" I liked was $40 and couldn't make up my mind,
so I just got the old junkie one out of storage and went with it.
http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr... d=0011Chances are I could possibly make another, but my cooking habits are fickle.Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

>> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
>> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
>> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
>> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
>> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
>> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
>> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
>> slippery..
>> Chuck (in SC)

> Perfect way to cut them. Glad you mentioned it. I took a large
> cheesecake
> to a party once, but forgot to take dental floss with me. Everybody
> thought I was nuts when I asked for it, but they enjoyed watching. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'll bet you enjoyed it even more than they, you party-boy! (;-)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > Gift certificate for one of their local bakeries that makes them? :-)

> Heh, I don't think they have that there, I don't ... and the last
> thing they need is anything that involves them spending one
> second. They are wildly busy.
>
> nancy

I understand... ;-)
I guess the cold weather is ideal for shipping stuff like that right now
anyway!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
> to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
> I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
> don't know the new name.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Is this some version of the cheque is in the mail?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:10:24 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
>> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
>> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
>> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
>> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
>> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
>> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
>> slippery..
>> Chuck (in SC)

>Thanks for the hint and your interest, I've got a dozen or two of dental
>floss around in a box, hope there is unwaxed/unflavored.
>
>Re the pans 3 for $10.00 you mentioned, I think I saw some of them a few
>weeks ago, don't know where now. DH wanted me to get them, but I was
>looking for a 10". These receipes that call for either 8" or 9" or 10", it
>had ne goin'. I wanted to buy a 10" springform by Kaiser, but the 9" at $22
>was highly rated, and the 10" I liked was $40 and couldn't make up my mind,
>so I just got the old junkie one out of storage and went with it.
> http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr... d=0011Chances are I could possibly make another, but my cooking habits are fickle.Dee Dee

I had 2 from the expensive cook ware store at the mall... more than
$25 each.. never again.. THEY WERE JUNK..
My first being shiny silver-like.. till it started rusting...

The "3 for $10" ones are in the cook ware at my local grocery...
7 inch 8 inch and 10 inch..
I was desperate before Christmas for an extra one.. thought I could
"make do" with these... They ended up being the best.. They're
non-stick, gray in color..
Almost all of my cheesecakes are for gifts or to take to work..
I buy cardboard circles at a craft/cake decorating store to put the
cakes on,, and cake boxes to place them in rather than trying to use a
cake carrier type thing. Only problem is finding a box for this
purpose, without it being 6 inches tall (for the 10 inch cake)

For the smaller diameter cakes, you can find 3 inch high boxes used at
some of the take-out food outlets..
I hate to go into the cake decorating store.. just like "Bed Bath &
Beyond"... My ex-wife was never able to drag me into either.. Now I
know they have cooking tools there..but still doesn't feel right..

Chuck (in SC)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 08:10:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
>> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
>> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
>> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
>> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
>> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
>> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
>> slippery.. Chuck (in SC)

> Thanks for the hint and your interest, I've got a dozen or two of dental
> floss around in a box, hope there is unwaxed/unflavored.
>
> Re the pans 3 for $10.00 you mentioned, I think I saw some of them a few
> weeks ago, don't know where now. DH wanted me to get them, but I was
> looking for a 10". These receipes that call for either 8" or 9" or 10",
> it had ne goin'. I wanted to buy a 10" springform by Kaiser, but the 9"
> at $22 was highly rated, and the 10" I liked was $40 and couldn't make
> up my mind, so I just got the old junkie one out of storage and went
> with it.
> http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...lassNo=0224&c=
> bp&CurBrand=0011Chances are I could possibly make another, but my
> cooking habits are fickle.Dee Dee

Kaiser makes a helluva product, but unnecessary IMO, unless you're going
into production baking. The nature of cheesecake baking certainly doesn't
require it. I use a 40 y.o. aluminum "springless" form pan, 9 x 4 inches
that I use for almost all my cheesecakes.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 08:12:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>>> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
>>> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
>>> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
>>> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
>>> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
>>> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
>>> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
>>> slippery.. Chuck (in SC)

>> Perfect way to cut them. Glad you mentioned it. I took a large
>> cheesecake to a party once, but forgot to take dental floss with me.
>> Everybody thought I was nuts when I asked for it, but they enjoyed
>> watching. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>>

> I'll bet you enjoyed it even more than they, you party-boy! (;-)
> Dee Dee

Probably! It's fun to make a little production of things.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 08:10:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>>> Also, for the OP if you're still there..
>>> Cutting the cheesecake is much easier if you use a LOT of unwaxed, un
>>> flavored dental floss. Saw down through the cheesecake, use a lot of
>>> sawing motion and pressure at the bottom if it has a crust, then turn
>>> loose of one end of the floss and pull it out from the other end..
>>> don't bring it back to the top.. keeps from making a mess on the top..
>>> I change floss, and wash or wipe hands often to avoid it being
>>> slippery.. Chuck (in SC)

>> Thanks for the hint and your interest, I've got a dozen or two of dental
>> floss around in a box, hope there is unwaxed/unflavored.
>>
>> Re the pans 3 for $10.00 you mentioned, I think I saw some of them a few
>> weeks ago, don't know where now. DH wanted me to get them, but I was
>> looking for a 10". These receipes that call for either 8" or 9" or 10",
>> it had ne goin'. I wanted to buy a 10" springform by Kaiser, but the 9"
>> at $22 was highly rated, and the 10" I liked was $40 and couldn't make
>> up my mind, so I just got the old junkie one out of storage and went
>> with it.
>> http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...lassNo=0224&c=
>> bp&CurBrand=0011Chances are I could possibly make another, but my
>> cooking habits are fickle.Dee Dee

> Kaiser makes a helluva product, but unnecessary IMO, unless you're going
> into production baking. The nature of cheesecake baking certainly doesn't
> require it. I use a 40 y.o. aluminum "springless" form pan, 9 x 4 inches
> that I use for almost all my cheesecakes.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'm not sure what you mean, except a cake pan 9" round with higher sides
than the normal 2" cake pan
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=&q=springform

Do you mean like the top line, fourth over, but 4" instead of 2"? on this
page?
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan

I don't recall anything like that in my past. I see a recipe calling for a
9 x 4 lemon pound cake at
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan

googling images of 9x4 pans, I see only loaf pans and angel food and
bundt-type pans.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 10:21:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 08:10:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>>> Thanks for the hint and your interest, I've got a dozen or two of
>>> dental floss around in a box, hope there is unwaxed/unflavored.
>>>
>>> Re the pans 3 for $10.00 you mentioned, I think I saw some of them a
>>> few weeks ago, don't know where now. DH wanted me to get them, but I
>>> was looking for a 10". These receipes that call for either 8" or 9"
>>> or 10", it had ne goin'. I wanted to buy a 10" springform by Kaiser,
>>> but the 9" at $22 was highly rated, and the 10" I liked was $40 and
>>> couldn't make up my mind, so I just got the old junkie one out of
>>> storage and went with it.
>>> http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...&ClassNo=0224&
>>> c= bp&CurBrand=0011Chances are I could possibly make another, but my
>>> cooking habits are fickle.Dee Dee

>> Kaiser makes a helluva product, but unnecessary IMO, unless you're
>> going into production baking. The nature of cheesecake baking
>> certainly doesn't require it. I use a 40 y.o. aluminum "springless"
>> form pan, 9 x 4 inches that I use for almost all my cheesecakes.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> I'm not sure what you mean, except a cake pan 9" round with higher sides
> than the normal 2" cake pan
> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=&q=springform
>
> Do you mean like the top line, fourth over, but 4" instead of 2"? on
> this page?
> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>
> I don't recall anything like that in my past. I see a recipe calling
> for a 9 x 4 lemon pound cake at
> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>
> googling images of 9x4 pans, I see only loaf pans and angel food and
> bundt-type pans.
> Dee Dee

Yes, like this one, but 4-inches deep. Just a simple loose-bottom pan.
It's a heavy pan, quite sturdy.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

>>> Kaiser makes a helluva product, but unnecessary IMO, unless you're
>>> going into production baking. The nature of cheesecake baking
>>> certainly doesn't require it. I use a 40 y.o. aluminum "springless"
>>> form pan, 9 x 4 inches that I use for almost all my cheesecakes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

>> I'm not sure what you mean, except a cake pan 9" round with higher sides
>> than the normal 2" cake pan
>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=&q=springform
>>
>> Do you mean like the top line, fourth over, but 4" instead of 2"? on
>> this page?
>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>>
>> I don't recall anything like that in my past. I see a recipe calling
>> for a 9 x 4 lemon pound cake at
>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>>
>> googling images of 9x4 pans, I see only loaf pans and angel food and
>> bundt-type pans.
>> Dee Dee

> Yes, like this one, but 4-inches deep. Just a simple loose-bottom pan.
> It's a heavy pan, quite sturdy.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Wayne, you say,
"yes, like this one, but 4-inches deep."
Wayne, I don't know which one you are referring to.

And when you say, a simple loose-bottom pan, I assume you mean the bottom
is separate and can be taken apart; i.e., -- as in jar rings: the bottom is
the "lid" and the 4" side is the 'ring', or similar to a tart pan?

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 11:04:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>>> I'm not sure what you mean, except a cake pan 9" round with higher
>>> sides than the normal 2" cake pan
>>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=&q=springform
>>>
>>> Do you mean like the top line, fourth over, but 4" instead of 2"? on
>>> this page?
>>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>>>
>>> I don't recall anything like that in my past. I see a recipe calling
>>> for a 9 x 4 lemon pound cake at
>>> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...lr=&q=cake+pan
>>>
>>> googling images of 9x4 pans, I see only loaf pans and angel food and
>>> bundt-type pans.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Yes, like this one, but 4-inches deep. Just a simple loose-bottom pan.
>> It's a heavy pan, quite sturdy.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> Wayne, you say,
> "yes, like this one, but 4-inches deep."
> Wayne, I don't know which one you are referring to.
>
> And when you say, a simple loose-bottom pan, I assume you mean the
> bottom is separate and can be taken apart; i.e., -- as in jar rings: the
> bottom is the "lid" and the 4" side is the 'ring', or similar to a tart
> pan?
>
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Sorry, Dee. I meant to include this picture.

http://tinyurl.com/anoe4

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Nancy Young wrote:
> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
> to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
> I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
> don't know the new name.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

I buy from Morey and Dorey, who are the makers of the S & S
Cheesecakes. I never had any trouble with them, dealing with them for
quite a long time now.

http://www.sscheesecake.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lisa Ann

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Anyone know a really good mail-order cheesecake? I'd like
> to send one to someone who's done something nice for us.
> I used to know one, but I think they were bought out and I
> don't know the new name.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Having lived in Chicago for 23 years, I might be a little biased,
but...Eli's Cheesecake!

http://www.elicheesecake.com/

About 5 years ago, on another group, I indulged in a rant about Sara Lee
Cheesecake Vs Eli's Cheesecake...the president of the company apparently
greps Usenet for any mention of the company name. I got a free Cheesecake
Sampler out of it.

I also gained about 10 lbs, but it was worth it!

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Lisa Ann" > wrote

> Having lived in Chicago for 23 years, I might be a little biased,
> but...Eli's Cheesecake!

> About 5 years ago, on another group, I indulged in a rant about Sara Lee
> Cheesecake Vs Eli's Cheesecake...the president of the company apparently
> greps Usenet for any mention of the company name. I got a free Cheesecake
> Sampler out of it.
>
> I also gained about 10 lbs, but it was worth it!

That's a great story! and thanks for the tip. A sampler.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:25:39 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Cheesecake pics so far
>
>Getting it together
>http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
>*********
>

>Dee Dee

I've just seen my first stick of butter! Our butter comes in one pound
approx (500g) packs..

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:25:39 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Cheesecake pics so far
>>
>>Getting it together
>>http://tinypic.com/mazbcl.jpg
>>*********
>>

>>Dee Dee
>>

> I've just seen my first stick of butter! Our butter comes in one pound
> approx (500g) packs..
>
> Kathy in NZ

Well, that's certainly silly, IMO. I buy farm style butter for table
eating, and it is packed in round tubes about 3" in diameter, not squares.
Is your butter packed in rectangles, squares or rounds?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

> I've just seen my first stick of butter! Our butter comes in one pound
> approx (500g) packs..
>
> Kathy in NZ

My first stick, too Here, it is sold per 250 grams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...

>> I've just seen my first stick of butter! Our butter comes in one pound
>> approx (500g) packs..
>>
>> Kathy in NZ
>>

> My first stick, too Here, it is sold per 250 grams.

Where are you from, Jake?
Dee Dee

Ping: Wayne biig General Cooking 7 28-02-2009 03:00 PM
PING: Wayne, Om, et al. PeterL[_7_] General Cooking 8 02-12-2008 04:08 PM
Removing Cheesecake from springform pan Doug General Cooking 6 30-03-2006 02:32 AM
ping Wayne Ophelia General Cooking 43 27-11-2005 08:29 PM
Ping: Wayne B. Damsel General Cooking 6 27-01-2005 11:08 PM