Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Default Salmon Wellington

Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary
and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?

Salmon Wellington

2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
4 Green Onions ; chopped
4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
1 sheet Puff Pastry

Pre-heat 350F

1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
and lay second fillet on top.
2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

cathyxyz wrote:

> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary
> and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>
> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>
> Pre-heat 350F
>
> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
> fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
> and lay second fillet on top.
> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
> decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
> until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

Sounds good, but I am not sure about the garlic and rosemary with salmon. I
really like salmon and usually find that it can usually stand pretty much on
its own without a lot of help other than salt and pepper, maybe a little
fresh dill weed.

One of my favourites for salmon is to bake it in phyllo. You need four
half sheets of phyllo per salmon fillet. Brush each sheet with melted
butter and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on them. Then place the salmon
portion on the middle of the top sheet and sprinkle with a little salt and
pepper, about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, some minced onion, a little fresh
dill weed and a tablespoon of orange juice. Wrap the phyllo over the top,
brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds and back in a 425 oven
about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm gonna
> give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary and a bit
> of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>
> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>

> Pre-heat 350F
>
> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
> fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
> and lay second fillet on top.
> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
> decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
> until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

Yes ! I would put some herbs inside, but not rosemary! I think parsley or
chives, or majoran could go well for me
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

> Yes ! I would put some herbs inside, but not rosemary! I think parsley or
> chives, or majoran could go well for me
> Cheers
> Pandora

That's an idea, thanks Pandora!

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...

> Pandora wrote:
>

>> Yes ! I would put some herbs inside, but not rosemary! I think parsley or
>> chives, or majoran could go well for me
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> That's an idea, thanks Pandora!

You are welcome!
I like too , your recipe. Tell me when you will make it, because I want to
try it , too
Cheers
Pandora

> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Dave Smith wrote:

> One of my favourites for salmon is to bake it in phyllo. You need four
> half sheets of phyllo per salmon fillet. Brush each sheet with melted
> butter and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on them. Then place the salmon
> portion on the middle of the top sheet and sprinkle with a little salt and
> pepper, about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, some minced onion, a little fresh
> dill weed and a tablespoon of orange juice. Wrap the phyllo over the top,
> brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds and back in a 425 oven
> about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

This also sounds good... we always try to keep sesame seeds on hand...
I am not wild about dill... but in moderation, it's quite nice too. The
MIL has some in the garden, so it's worth remembering this one. Thanks,
Dave.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

> You are welcome!
> I like too , your recipe. Tell me when you will make it, because I want to
> try it , too
> Cheers
> Pandora

Gonna try this tonight, so will let you know how it turns out...

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

> Pandora wrote:
>>
>> You are welcome!
>> I like too , your recipe. Tell me when you will make it, because I want
>> try it , too
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Gonna try this tonight, so will let you know how it turns out...

Oh yes! And if I can ask a little-liiiitle picture, I will be very grateful
to you!

Cheers
pandy

> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

> Oh yes! And if I can ask a little-liiiitle picture, I will be very grateful
> to you!
>
> Cheers
> pandy

No problem.... here it is!

http://www.cathy.co.za/salmon.html

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

cathyxyz wrote:

> Salmon Wellington
> [snip recipe]

Sounds good. Another time you might consider substituting shallots for
the green onions and briefly cooking them with the mushrooms before
topping the salmon. Dill would be the most commonly used herb with
salmon, I think. Googling on "coulibiac" will bring in a bunch more
recipes.... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm gonna
> give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary and a bit
> of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>
> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry

I would vote for a bit of dill, and am wondering if some kind of sauce would
be goo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Pandora wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
>> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of
>> rosemary and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>>
>> Salmon Wellington
>>
>> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
>> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
>> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
>> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
>> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>>

>> Pre-heat 350F
>>
>> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay
>> 1 fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green
>> onions and lay second fillet on top.
>> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash
>> top to decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 -
>> 60 minutes until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

> Yes ! I would put some herbs inside, but not rosemary! I think
> parsley or chives, or majoran could go well for me
> Cheers
> Pandora

I concur, not rosemary with salmon. Thyme, yes, Maybe some tarragon.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> "cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
>>> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of
>>> rosemary and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>>>
>>> Salmon Wellington
>>>
>>> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
>>> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
>>> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
>>> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
>>> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>>>

>>> Pre-heat 350F
>>>
>>> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay
>>> 1 fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green
>>> onions and lay second fillet on top.
>>> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash
>>> top to decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 -
>>> 60 minutes until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

>> Yes ! I would put some herbs inside, but not rosemary! I think
>> parsley or chives, or majoran could go well for me
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> I concur, not rosemary with salmon. Thyme, yes, Maybe some tarragon.

Uhhhh! yes Tarragon! I have forgotten the existence. But it's better fresh
then dry!
Cheers
Pandy

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

cathyxyz wrote:
> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary
> and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?

Rosemary is probably too strong; I wouldn't use it. If garlic, go
lightly. Salmon cooked in puff pastry will have a good bit of its own
juice in there, and combining it with the additions indicated would be
quite enough. My opinion.

> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>
> Pre-heat 350F
>
> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
> fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
> and lay second fillet on top.
> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
> decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
> until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

A few things:
If you're buying puff pastry sheets, I'd use two sheets rather than one.
One sheet rolled out to cover that much fish means that it's been
rolled rather thin and won't give a very flaky result. The added
thickness of the finished dish will look better, "eat" better and will
be less likely to leak.

<http://www.cathy.co.za/salmon.html> It's hard to tell from the picture,
but this sounds rather small - not quite 6.5 ounces raw weight - and the
cooking time will overcook the fish. Finished weight of the fish cooked
to this degree will be around 4.5 ounces.

The one in the picture is not finished as the directions above stipulate
- no slashes.

The oven temp is too low for puff pastry. You want the moisture to flash
over to steam so the layers become obvious, and higher temperatures will
guarantee it. I bake puff pastry at 400°, and this fish should be done
in about 15 minutes, or when the pastry is a good rich brown.

If I were doing it, I'd lay the pieces of fish side by side, or, more
likely, I'd use a single, larger piece as I did for X-mas where I did a
whole side in puff pastry. Lay the sheet down - no rolling - and egg
wash. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and very finely minced chives. Lay the
fish on top. A bit more salt and pepper and chives, and the shrimp as
above. Another sheet of pastry, egg-washed side in. Crimp and trim
edges. I trimmed the X-mas one in the shape of a fish and made score
marks to look like fins and scales. Egg wash for a nice, shiny brown
finished color and to hold on any decorations. I used trimmings to make
eyes, a mouth and gill lines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Default Report back: Salmon Wellington

Bob (this one) wrote:

<snip>

> The one in the picture is not finished as the directions above stipulate
> - no slashes.

Of course not. When do I follow a recipe exactly?

> The oven temp is too low for puff pastry. You want the moisture to flash
> over to steam so the layers become obvious, and higher temperatures will
> guarantee it. I bake puff pastry at 400°, and this fish should be done
> in about 15 minutes, or when the pastry is a good rich brown.

Agreed... Did it at 200 deg C... for about 30 mins...

> If I were doing it, I'd lay the pieces of fish side by side, or, more
> likely, I'd use a single, larger piece as I did for X-mas where I did a
> whole side in puff pastry. Lay the sheet down - no rolling - and egg
> wash. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and very finely minced chives. Lay the
> fish on top. A bit more salt and pepper and chives, and the shrimp as
> above. Another sheet of pastry, egg-washed side in. Crimp and trim
> edges. I trimmed the X-mas one in the shape of a fish and made score
> marks to look like fins and scales. Egg wash for a nice, shiny brown
> finished color and to hold on any decorations.

Great Minds Think Alike... side by side, they were...

I used trimmings to make
> eyes, a mouth and gill lines.

Not that artistic, but it "shore tasted good"

But... seriously....
Added marjoram (not rosemary, as per advice from various rfc members),
also added a bit of fresh parsley. Very Yum.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rox formerly rmg

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary
> and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>
> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>

> Pre-heat 350F
>
> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
> fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
> and lay second fillet on top.
> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
> decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
> until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing it and I'd love to hear you report back on
the results.

I do think there's potential for the fish overcooking. I'd start watching it
very closely at 30 minutes.I predict a salmon fillet would be dried out at
60 min.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> I do think there's potential for the fish overcooking. I'd start watching it
> very closely at 30 minutes.I predict a salmon fillet would be dried out at
> 60 min.

Exactly. I use a thermometer and finish salmon (coulibiac) at
about 135 F.

In fact, using a themometer is extremely helpful when cooking
most anything en croute. I use one when cooking any meat
or fish in pastry, brioche, etc. It's difficult to judge
doneness because you can't see or touch what's inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> Sounds good. Thanks for sharing it and I'd love to hear you report back on
> the results.
>
> I do think there's potential for the fish overcooking. I'd start watching it
> very closely at 30 minutes.I predict a salmon fillet would be dried out at
> 60 min.

Having done pastry in both puff pasty and in phyllo, I have found that the pasty
helps to keep the moisture in. However, now that you mention it, I am wondering
about the amount of salmon in the recipe 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets; 2 equal
sized skinned. I am assuming there is a typo there . If it should be 2.5 lb.
that is 1 1/4 each and in a 350 that doesn't sound too far out of line. I
usually cook salmon fillets at 425 and 6-8 oz are usually done in 1 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> Sounds good. Thanks for sharing it and I'd love to hear you report back on
> the results.
>
> I do think there's potential for the fish overcooking. I'd start watching it
> very closely at 30 minutes.I predict a salmon fillet would be dried out at
> 60 min.

We enjoyed it... as I said to Bob(this one) I did adjust the temp. and
cooking time (I have gotten used to my oven over the years). Cooked it
for about 30 mins. at approx 200C. We had smaller steaks, so I did them
side by side, put a little marjoram on them and then covered them in the
shrimp, mushrooms and onions. I then put some chopped fresh parsley over
the lot, before sealing them in the pastry and washing with egg. I
didn't bother with the "slashing" - I put rather a lot of shrimp on it
and I was a bit worried that it would all "spill-out" . Will
definitely try this again sometime.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> rox formerly rmg wrote:
>
>> Sounds good. Thanks for sharing it and I'd love to hear you report back
>> on
>> the results.
>>
>> I do think there's potential for the fish overcooking. I'd start watching
>> it
>> very closely at 30 minutes.I predict a salmon fillet would be dried out
>> at
>> 60 min.
>>

> We enjoyed it... as I said to Bob(this one) I did adjust the temp. and
> cooking time (I have gotten used to my oven over the years). Cooked it for
> about 30 mins. at approx 200C. We had smaller steaks, so I did them side
> by side, put a little marjoram on them and then covered them in the
> shrimp, mushrooms and onions. I then put some chopped fresh parsley over
> the lot, before sealing them in the pastry and washing with egg. I didn't
> bother with the "slashing" - I put rather a lot of shrimp on it and I was
> a bit worried that it would all "spill-out" . Will definitely try this
> again sometime.

Hello Cathy. I Am very happy that you enjoyed your salmon. I've noticed that
you have made some changes to the first recipe. Could you please post me the
final version, please, with ingredients , etc?
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

> Hello Cathy. I Am very happy that you enjoyed your salmon. I've noticed that
> you have made some changes to the first recipe. Could you please post me the
> final version, please, with ingredients , etc?
> Cheers
> Pandora

The only thing I really added was the marjoram and fresh parsley (on
your and other rfc-ers advice!) and as I had smaller steaks (about 150
grams each), I just put 3 of them side by side on the pastry and put
all the other stuff over the top. As for the cooking time - I also
thought an hour would be too long, so I brought the heat up a little
and the cooking time down to 30 mins. I kept an eye on the pastry - I
wanted it brown, but not burnt - and it looked okay after 30 mins so I
decided it was "done".... Someone suggested using dill, that could be
nice too, if you like dill. If you decide to try this, let me know how
it turns out. You are more "artistic" than me, so I am sure yours will
probably look better

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...

> Pandora wrote:
>

>> Hello Cathy. I Am very happy that you enjoyed your salmon. I've noticed
>> that
>> you have made some changes to the first recipe. Could you please post me
>> the
>> final version, please, with ingredients , etc?
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> The only thing I really added was the marjoram and fresh parsley (on
> your and other rfc-ers advice!) and as I had smaller steaks (about 150
> grams each), I just put 3 of them side by side on the pastry and put
> all the other stuff over the top. As for the cooking time - I also
> thought an hour would be too long, so I brought the heat up a little
> and the cooking time down to 30 mins. I kept an eye on the pastry - I
> wanted it brown, but not burnt - and it looked okay after 30 mins so I
> decided it was "done".... Someone suggested using dill, that could be
> nice too, if you like dill. If you decide to try this, let me know how
> it turns out. You are more "artistic" than me, so I am sure yours will
> probably look better
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Oooh! You are too kind ! I Am a little "artistic" because I paint and when I
make a dish I think it is a painting so I would like to garnish it. Some
time it comes out well and some times not...

I will try your recipe. When I will find salmon. Then I will tell you.
Thank you very much for this recipe . It is wonderful for me.
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Found this while mooching around on the net.... sounds good and I'm
> gonna give it a try tonight. Was thinking of adding a bit of rosemary
> and a bit of garlic, of course . What ya'all think?
>
> Salmon Wellington
>
> 2 1/5 pounds Salmon fillets ; 2 equal sized, skinned
> 4 ounces Chestnut Mushrooms ; sliced
> 4 Green Onions ; chopped
> 4 ounce Shrimps ; chopped
> 1 sheet Puff Pastry
>

> Pre-heat 350F
>
> 1. Roll pastry until large enough to completely enclose salmon. Lay 1
> fillet on pastry and cover with chopped shrimp, mushrooms & green onions
> and lay second fillet on top.
> 2. Wrap with pastry using beaten egg to seal. Trim pastry & slash top to
> decorate. Brush with egg and cook in center of oven for 45 - 60 minutes
> until pastry is brown and salmon is cooked.

Hmmm ... not bad sounding at all. Worth a go.

I'm thinking though that as others have said rosemary is too strong. Dill
would be my choice. Also, I think I would make a shrimp mousse instead of
chopping the shrimp. I'd toss the peeled shrimp into a food processor and
blend it to a thick paste with some heavy cream, an egg and some white
truffle oil if I had any. S&P to taste.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> One of my favourites for salmon is to bake it in phyllo. You need four
>> half sheets of phyllo per salmon fillet. Brush each sheet with melted
>> butter and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on them. Then place the salmon
>> portion on the middle of the top sheet and sprinkle with a little salt
>> and
>> pepper, about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, some minced onion, a little
>> fresh
>> dill weed and a tablespoon of orange juice. Wrap the phyllo over the
>> top,
>> brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds and back in a 425 oven
>> about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

> This also sounds good... we always try to keep sesame seeds on hand...
> I am not wild about dill... but in moderation, it's quite nice too. The
> MIL has some in the garden, so it's worth remembering this one. Thanks,
> Dave.
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)
>=========

Oh yeah! Or maybe even thinly sliced lemon and capers.... <sigh> too bad
my slab of salmon is very frozen right now and I already ate cake for
dinner. :P

--
Syssi

Beef Wellington DavidW General Cooking 47 23-10-2014 04:48 AM
BEEF WELLINGTON Lass Chance_2 General Cooking 23 17-12-2008 11:56 PM
Spam Wellington The Spaminator General Cooking 10 02-11-2006 08:41 PM
Pork Wellington Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-06-2005 12:07 AM
salmon wellington Charles Murray Baking 1 18-12-2003 03:48 PM