Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

Default Cool NOLA news and interesting Web site

The Dallas Morning News has a good story today about the reopening of
Gallatoire's in the French Quarter. Paired with the upscale
festivities surrounding that news is a parallel story about rebuilding
Willie Mae's Scotch House a corner eatery in the Treme, the oldest
African American neighborhood in the country. Besides both being from
NOLA, the two restaurants also share the distinction of having been
recognized by the James Beard Foundation. Willie Mae's was named an
American Classic last May by the foundation. It's also what some
folks call a "third place" in people's lives: Work, home, and a third
place to stay around.

The News reports that the nonprofit Southern Foodways Alliance is
selling pickles to help fund the project. I've visited their site
this evening, but have yet to find the "buy a pickle, help an eatery"
tab anywhere. Maybe somebody else will be more successful. Here's
the URL: http://www.southernfoodways.com/

If you find a pickle link, let me know, will you?

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:57:13 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

:

>> The Dallas Morning News has a good story today about the reopening of
>> Gallatoire's in the French Quarter. Paired with the upscale
>> festivities surrounding that news is a parallel story about rebuilding
>> Willie Mae's Scotch House a corner eatery in the Treme, the oldest
>> African American neighborhood in the country. Besides both being from
>> NOLA, the two restaurants also share the distinction of having been
>> recognized by the James Beard Foundation. Willie Mae's was named an
>> American Classic last May by the foundation. It's also what some
>> folks call a "third place" in people's lives: Work, home, and a third
>> place to stay around.
>>
>> The News reports that the nonprofit Southern Foodways Alliance is
>> selling pickles to help fund the project. I've visited their site
>> this evening, but have yet to find the "buy a pickle, help an eatery"
>> tab anywhere. Maybe somebody else will be more successful. Here's
>> the URL: http://www.southernfoodways.com/
>>
>> If you find a pickle link, let me know, will you?

>I think this may be it. I found it on the main page of the link you
>posted. The pickle is on eBay.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Autographed-SOS-...Pickles-for-a-
>Purpose_W0QQitemZ4427456745QQcategoryZ79631QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
>wItem
>or
>
>http://tinylink.com/?UxqC3D5zzy
>
>It's called Pickles for a Purpose. I suppose if you email the seller they
>will be able to provide you with more info.

Thanks, Michael. I found it shortly after posting the stuff above.
The eBay auction is over, however, which is a black eye for the
reporting in the Morning News. That guy Edge appears to be a really
cool foodie. He's one of the two who autographed the pickles. Or
autographed the pickles jars at least. And Willie Mae seems to be an
important woman for her fried chicken alone.

modom