Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Default Breakfast of Champions

My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.

YUM !!!!!

Bubba
--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Bubba" > wrote in message
.. .
> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the
> boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba

Good wife! She gets a gold star.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Bubba" > wrote in message
.. .
> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the
> boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba
> --

And a pitcher of martinis I hope! They make a great accompaniment to raw
oysters, but you can get really sloshed.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Bubba wrote:
> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the
> boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba

Nothing's better than an oyster.
There's nothing slicker, nothing moister.
But some folk like their oysters fried.
That way they know their oyster died.

But not this N. Florida Cracker. Just polished off a peck...half
roasted, half raw. (Burp!) And a Blue Moon wheat ale.
Yawn! Hmmmm...better go take a nap. Get my energy levels back up so I
can do the other peck for lunch.
Life is good!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Bubba > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>>My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the
>>boat. The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and
>>saltines.
>>
>>YUM !!!!!
>>
>>Bubba

> If that oyster legend is true; you'd better be ready for a long day
>
> Michael

I've often wondered, since my wife doesn't eat them, if she has an
ulterior motive for bringing them home!
So I do my best to uphold the legend.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Bubba wrote:
> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba

With cold lager at my side- I'd stir some horseradish into that hot
sauce and save the crackers for chili... but that's just me. kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

kevnbro wrote:
> Bubba wrote:
>
>>My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
>>The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>>
>>YUM !!!!!
>>
>>Bubba

> With cold lager at my side- I'd stir some horseradish into that hot
> sauce and save the crackers for chili... but that's just me. kev

Got the horseradish part covered, but I do like the occasional
cracker...'bout every 4th or 5th oyster. My favorite way is to take one
raw with lemon, one roasted with hot sauce, put them both on a cracker
(tricky, but doable) then pop the whole thing in my mouth. Something
about the juxtaposition of the cool and warm, the slight difference in
textures (if oysters have a texture!) and the lemon and hot sauce
hitting the tongue in separate places....well....Smacky!!!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Bubba wrote:
> Got the horseradish part covered, but I do like the occasional
> cracker...'bout every 4th or 5th oyster. My favorite way is to take one
> raw with lemon, one roasted with hot sauce, put them both on a cracker
> (tricky, but doable) then pop the whole thing in my mouth. Something
> about the juxtaposition of the cool and warm, the slight difference in
> textures (if oysters have a texture!) and the lemon and hot sauce
> hitting the tongue in separate places....well....Smacky!!!
>
> Bubba

Smacky indeed! And you said you lived where and had how many oysters?
kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

kevnbro wrote:
> Bubba wrote:
>
>>Got the horseradish part covered, but I do like the occasional
>>cracker...'bout every 4th or 5th oyster. My favorite way is to take one
>>raw with lemon, one roasted with hot sauce, put them both on a cracker
>>(tricky, but doable) then pop the whole thing in my mouth. Something
>>about the juxtaposition of the cool and warm, the slight difference in
>>textures (if oysters have a texture!) and the lemon and hot sauce
>>hitting the tongue in separate places....well....Smacky!!!
>>
>>Bubba

> Smacky indeed! And you said you lived where and had how many oysters?
> kev

Ah...(thinking quick)...Outer Mongolia....and my Yak just ran away with
the rest of the oysters! Gosh darn....guess you'll have to wait until
next time! Burp!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

> Ah...(thinking quick)...Outer Mongolia....and my Yak just ran away with
> the rest of the oysters! Gosh darn....guess you'll have to wait until
> next time! Burp!
>

> Bubba

Wow! What a coincidence, I too am in outer Mongolia and an unknown yak
is currently grazing outside my kitchen window with what appears to be
an oyster sack around his neck. Being the great Yak Whisperer, perhaps
I can coax him in close enough to "relieve him of his burden". kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

kevnbro wrote:
>>Ah...(thinking quick)...Outer Mongolia....and my Yak just ran away with
>>the rest of the oysters! Gosh darn....guess you'll have to wait until
>>next time! Burp!
>>

>>Bubba

> Wow! What a coincidence, I too am in outer Mongolia and an unknown yak
> is currently grazing outside my kitchen window with what appears to be
> an oyster sack around his neck. Being the great Yak Whisperer, perhaps
> I can coax him in close enough to "relieve him of his burden". kev

LOL! Good one!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
George

Bubba wrote:
> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the
> boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba

No horseradish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Bubba > wrote:

> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
> YUM !!!!!
>
> Bubba

A half bushel? Serially? Like, how many IS that? What'd they cost?
Color me curious - I don't eat oysters and don't buy them so I know nada.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Bubba > wrote:
>
> > My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
> > The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
> >
> > YUM !!!!!
> >
> > Bubba

> A half bushel? Serially? Like, how many IS that? What'd they cost?
> Color me curious - I don't eat oysters and don't buy them so I know nada.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

A half bushel = 16 quarts ... I think. 4 gallons.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Bubba > wrote:
>

>>My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
>>The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>>
>>YUM !!!!!
>>
>>Bubba

> A half bushel? Serially? Like, how many IS that? What'd they cost?
> Color me curious - I don't eat oysters and don't buy them so I know nada.

Never really measured them....usually too busy eating them, but I'd
guesstimate maybe 5 or 8 pints of shucked oysters out of a half bushel.
As for the price...I don't know...these were free. My wife works for
the Florida Wildlife Commission and yesterday was at the lab in Cedar
Key editing some video...ran into a clam farmer she knows. She asked
where to get the best oysters and he said he'd get them. Hops in the
boat and comes back a while later with a croaker sack of oysters. Hard
to get them fresher than that.
Cool thing is...she was back in Cedar Key today, returned their cooler
and was presented with another bag filled with fresh clams!
I Love my wife!!!!!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Bubba wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Bubba > wrote:
>>

>>> My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off
>>> the boat.
>>> The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>>>
>>> YUM !!!!!
>>>
>>> Bubba

>> A half bushel? Serially? Like, how many IS that? What'd they cost?
>> Color me curious - I don't eat oysters and don't buy them so I know nada.

> Never really measured them....usually too busy eating them, but I'd
> guesstimate maybe 5 or 8 pints of shucked oysters out of a half bushel.
> As for the price...I don't know...these were free. My wife works for
> the Florida Wildlife Commission and yesterday was at the lab in Cedar
> Key editing some video...ran into a clam farmer she knows. She asked
> where to get the best oysters and he said he'd get them. Hops in the
> boat and comes back a while later with a croaker sack of oysters. Hard
> to get them fresher than that.
> Cool thing is...she was back in Cedar Key today, returned their cooler
> and was presented with another bag filled with fresh clams!
> I Love my wife!!!!!
>
> Bubba

Make that 5 or 6 pints. You'll have to forgive me....The oysters are
gone and I'm in an over-oystered stupor.

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

what a disgusting conversation...
wish i could join u...
my cat died at 5....heart attack...from eating too many steamers.......
crusty
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Bubba > wrote:
(snippage)
> Cool thing is...she was back in Cedar Key today, returned their cooler
> and was presented with another bag filled with fresh clams!
> I Love my wife!!!!!

You'll never go wrong with diamonds. :-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Bubba > wrote:
> (snippage)
>
>>Cool thing is...she was back in Cedar Key today, returned their cooler
>>and was presented with another bag filled with fresh clams!
>>I Love my wife!!!!!

> You'll never go wrong with diamonds. :-)

LOL! True! Actually, I just gave her two for our 3rd
anniversay...gonna mount them as accents on her solitare.

I disremember who said it but I remember a quote I heard:

"More marriges would be successful is a man tried half as hard to keep
his wife and he did to win her."

Bubba
--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:02:05 GMT, Bubba >
wrote:

>My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
>The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>
>YUM !!!!!
>
>Bubba

how do you steam them open? Do you just put them in a large pot on the
stove with a little water in the bottom....or put them on the grill
with a wet cloth over them to capture the steam? I watched a guy using
a steam ginney behind a restaurant to persuade those little buggers to
open their mouths...

me and my Dad used to tie the boat up to the bridge pilings and rake
those small coon oysters into the boat...pop them open and slurp them
down...my gawd I suppose I would catch some dread disease doing that
nowadays...

Bill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:02:05 GMT, Bubba >
> wrote:
>

>>My wife brought in a half bushel of oysters last night...right off the boat.
>>The table is set: oyster knife, glove, lemon, hot sauce, and saltines.
>>
>>YUM !!!!!
>>
>>Bubba

> how do you steam them open? Do you just put them in a large pot on the
> stove with a little water in the bottom....or put them on the grill
> with a wet cloth over them to capture the steam? I watched a guy using
> a steam ginney behind a restaurant to persuade those little buggers to
> open their mouths...
>
> me and my Dad used to tie the boat up to the bridge pilings and rake
> those small coon oysters into the boat...pop them open and slurp them
> down...my gawd I suppose I would catch some dread disease doing that
> nowadays...
>

> Bill

Don't really steam them...just roast. In the oven I put them in a
roasting pan, 400 degrees, for about 15 minutes. You can do the same
thing on the grill but put them directly on the grate.
As for raw...I've eaten them as you describe...right on the boat.
Doesn't get much better. I still eat raw oysters every year and haven't
gotten sick yet. Just know your bed or your vendor and as long as
you're in good health you should be ok.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?