Posted to rec.food.cooking
CookieChick

Default Do poppy seeds go bad?

I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5 years
old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think they are
still good?

TIA!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 08:11:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
CookieChick?

> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5
> years old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think
> they are still good?

They don't actually spoil in the sense of "rotten foofd", but they can become
rancid and smell old. It won't hurt you to taste them, so I would let my
smell and taste be my guide. I normally store them in the freezer.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

CookieChick wrote:
> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5 years
> old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think they are
> still good?

Because poppy seeds have a rather high oil content they have a rather
short shelf life, they go rancid rather quickly... toss those into the
compost heap rather than using them and wasting some rather expensive
ingredients... poppy seeds are rather cheap (about $6/lb).

Penzeys:
Poppy Seed
Sweet blue or white poppy seeds are used in baking, on bread, rolls,
muffins, and cake. Also great for fruit salad dressing. Poppy seeds
have a high, flavorful oil content. Refrigerate or freeze during summer
months.
Holland blue poppy seed is the most famous poppy of all, with "A-1"
being the top grade seed. A smoky blue-gray seed with an unparalleled
flavor and sweetness, it is prized by every Gramma who has ever baked a
stollen.
White poppy seeds are used in Indian cooking adding thickness, texture
and flavor to sauces. Less sweet than blue poppy, they are added to
lentil and rice dishes.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 08:11:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> CookieChick?
>

>>I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5
>>years old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think
>>they are still good?

> They don't actually spoil in the sense of "rotten foofd", but they can become
> rancid and smell old. It won't hurt you to taste them, so I would let my
> smell and taste be my guide. I normally store them in the freezer.

I would throw a handful out in the flower bed during the winter and see
what comes up in the spring. At least a few seeds should still be viable.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 08:11:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> CookieChick?
>
>> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5
>> years old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think
>> they are still good?

> They don't actually spoil in the sense of "rotten foofd", but they can
> become
> rancid and smell old. It won't hurt you to taste them, so I would let my
> smell and taste be my guide. I normally store them in the freezer.

I wonder if that's why I don't like poppy seeds. I associate poppy seeds
with a rancid flavor. Must've gotten a muffin made with old seeds once.
Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 20 Jan 2006 06:22:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chris?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 08:11:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> CookieChick?
>>
>>> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5
>>> years old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone
>>> think they are still good?

>> They don't actually spoil in the sense of "rotten foofd", but they can
>> become rancid and smell old. It won't hurt you to taste them, so I
>> would let my smell and taste be my guide. I normally store them in the
>> freezer.
>>

> I wonder if that's why I don't like poppy seeds. I associate poppy
> seeds with a rancid flavor. Must've gotten a muffin made with old seeds
> once. Chris

Quite probably. I know that I have occasionally bought poppy seeds in the
usual spice bottles and they were already stale.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

CookieChick wrote:
> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5 years
> old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think they are
> still good?
>
> TIA!

They are probably rancid and will add a nasty flavor to your muffins.
Throw them out and store the next batch in the freezer.

gloria p