Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Default Heather's fake meat recipe

I got a fake meat recipe from a friend years ago, I think he developed it
himself. Over the years I've modified it here and there. It's very much like
the seitan you get in the store, though I have never been able to get that
meat like shreddiness. The beauty of this recipe is that you can season it any
way you want and then it's infused with flavor before you use it. Unseasoned
is rather bland and it does not really absorb much in marinades.

It is important to stick to the liquid/gluten amounts, if this gets too wet it
does not cook up correctly. If you halve the recipe, use 2/3 cup water.

Start with
2 cups wheat gluten
1 1/4 cups water or stock
(don't mix yet!)
add 3 tbl liquid flavoring, for an asian final result, add soy sauce, for
greek, add lemon juice, for mexican the juice from salsa, you can also try red
wine or white wine or any combination
2 tsp oil (sesame, olive, peanut, whatever)
3 tsp dry seasonings like garlic, 5 spice powder, Penzey's Greek seasoning is
particularly good, chili powder, italian herbs, or any other spices you might
like.

mix together with fork until everything is incorporated and you have a
seasoned brain in your bowl. Let this rest for 5 minutes or so. Knead 5 times.
DO NOT OVER KNEAD!!! It's really tempting, believe me. Just don't. You'll end
up with a tough end result.

Let it rest again for 15 minutes.

Whip up a simmering liquid. You need about 5 cups or so. Use broth, water, add
soy sauce or a little wine or garlic or ginger or whatever strikes your fancy.
I sometimes use a little seaweed in vegetable broth. Bring this to a boil.

Take your gluten ball and slice it into about 6-8 pieces and stretch them a
bit. Add them one at a time to the broth and reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
Simmer for 45 minutes. You have to check it regularly, it floats and will need
to be shoved around so all the pieces have time in the broth. Your pieces will
almost double in size.

take them out, let them cool.

Slice it up and use it in stir fries, run it through a meat grinder for
crumbles, use it in fajitas, spaghetti sauce, I've even made potstickers with
it.

My favorite is to make it with lemon juice, greek seasoning and garlic. I
slice it thin and pan fry it until the edges are crispy and serve on pita with
gyros fixings.

It's incredibly versatile stuff. Seal it well and freeze it.

Keep in mind that the fake meat is already cooked, you just need to heat it
through, if you overheat it you run the risk of rubbery chewiness. Generally,
I halve the recipe.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

The Bubbo wrote:
<snip>

Seitan is good stuff. I'm too lazy to make it myself, though. Rob would
never eat it anyhow.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Budd Tugley

I think they spell "seitan" wrong. It should be spelled "satan."
That stuff is nazzzzzsty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:54:24 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>The Bubbo wrote:
><snip>
>
>Seitan is good stuff. I'm too lazy to make it myself, though. Rob would
>never eat it anyhow.

My carnivore wife says she might consider vegetarianism if she could
be sure to have my seitan always available.

serene (plus, it's a LOT cheaper to make than to buy prepared)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
patrice

The Bubbo wrote:
> I got a fake meat recipe from a friend years ago, I think he developed it
> himself. Over the years I've modified it here and there. It's very much like
> the seitan you get in the store, though I have never been able to get that
> meat like shreddiness. The beauty of this recipe is that you can season it any
> way you want and then it's infused with flavor before you use it. Unseasoned
> is rather bland and it does not really absorb much in marinades.
>
> It is important to stick to the liquid/gluten amounts, if this gets too wet it
> does not cook up correctly. If you halve the recipe, use 2/3 cup water.
>
> Start with
> 2 cups wheat gluten
> 1 1/4 cups water or stock
> (don't mix yet!)
> add 3 tbl liquid flavoring, for an asian final result, add soy sauce, for
> greek, add lemon juice, for mexican the juice from salsa, you can also try red
> wine or white wine or any combination
> 2 tsp oil (sesame, olive, peanut, whatever)
> 3 tsp dry seasonings like garlic, 5 spice powder, Penzey's Greek seasoning is
> particularly good, chili powder, italian herbs, or any other spices you might
> like.
>
> mix together with fork until everything is incorporated and you have a
> seasoned brain in your bowl. Let this rest for 5 minutes or so. Knead 5 times.
> DO NOT OVER KNEAD!!! It's really tempting, believe me. Just don't. You'll end
> up with a tough end result.
>
> Let it rest again for 15 minutes.
>
> Whip up a simmering liquid. You need about 5 cups or so. Use broth, water, add
> soy sauce or a little wine or garlic or ginger or whatever strikes your fancy.
> I sometimes use a little seaweed in vegetable broth. Bring this to a boil.
>
> Take your gluten ball and slice it into about 6-8 pieces and stretch them a
> bit. Add them one at a time to the broth and reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
> Simmer for 45 minutes. You have to check it regularly, it floats and will need
> to be shoved around so all the pieces have time in the broth. Your pieces will
> almost double in size.
>
> take them out, let them cool.
>
> Slice it up and use it in stir fries, run it through a meat grinder for
> crumbles, use it in fajitas, spaghetti sauce, I've even made potstickers with
> it.
>
> My favorite is to make it with lemon juice, greek seasoning and garlic. I
> slice it thin and pan fry it until the edges are crispy and serve on pita with
> gyros fixings.
>
> It's incredibly versatile stuff. Seal it well and freeze it.
>
> Keep in mind that the fake meat is already cooked, you just need to heat it
> through, if you overheat it you run the risk of rubbery chewiness. Generally,
> I halve the recipe.

Thank you so much for posting this!

patrice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

patrice wrote:

> Thank you so much for posting this!
>
> patrice

Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.