Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default English muffins & feline anecdotes

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?

My cats like _anything_ green.

Prolly got used to it by offering them fresh grass, and fresh green
catnip that I grow for them. :-)

> Once i was sitting on the floor to watch a t.v. special and cutting up
> veggies for salad (all neat and tidy with cutting board and newspapers
> on the carpet) when "Sasha" after calmly but intently watching me cut
> up the veggies reached out and tentatively grabbed a chunk of green
> pepper. Pull it over to herself when i did not object and gobbled it up.

Hmmmmm... Mine bat around green olives and "taste" them but never
actually eat them, but nobody is interested in green peppers AFAIK.
OTOH, I hate green peppers so it's not like they get offered often.

> Since then i always feed me cats lettuce, green pepper and whatever
> other fresh veggies i have on hand. Diced and added to room temperature
> rice with oat bran added and all mixed up and dressed with a bit of meat
> stock. They get the occasional raw chicken gizzards but not often, a
> real treat for them that they inevitably have to 'kill', pounce on, play
> with etc. etc. before they get around to eating it.

Love leaf lettuce, celery tops, kitties DO like some fresh greens to
munch. Since I save them for the cockatoo, kitties get some by default.
<G>

> Of course anytime i am making a large amount of meat they get their
> share. "Asparagus" is adorable but not to bright and takes her cue from
> Sasha, who always knows, sometimes i think before i do, when i intend to
> make a meat loaf.

Mine know when I'm cutting meat and beg relentlessly!
"pay no attention to that water gun! Mom will give in if we are
persistant".

The cats have me well trained. <G>

Sasha sounds like a special kitty!
Some really are brighter than others IMHO.

> One time i was making meat loaf for a dinner with guests and i was
> pressed for time and was intently focused on cooking and did not pay
> attention to Sasha waiting patently for her raw ball of ground meat. I
> was just about to stick it in the oven when i realized, saw the most
> joyous look of immanent expectation....how could i let her down?
>
> So i took a couple of tablespoons of the seasoned meat loaf mix and
> rolled it into a ball and gave it to her.
>
> She had never had 'seasoned' meat loaf mix before and at first it was if
> i had served her a bad meal, she gave me such a look! And IMO actually
> sulked for a few minutes. Then seeing she was getting no real response
> from her sulking she went back and investigated the raw, but seasoned
> meat ball, and after a few licks and sniffs, and a bit of nudging about
> with the paw, gobbled it right up.

ROFL!
Sounds like mine!
They will turn up their noses until they realize that is all that there
is!

> Course probly my favourite anecdote about Sasha is the one where i am so
> pressed for time early in the morning that i wash the bottom pot part of
> the pressure cooker and sit it on the floor for a minute while i do
> something else that leads to something other and then out the door and
> gone all day and come home to a kitty sleeping soundly in the bottom of
> the pressure cooker, an ordinary, stove top pressure cooker, curled up
> into a tight little ball and cosily snoozing away.

Heh! It's amazing the size of box some of them will fit into!
Even if they "spill" out over the top...

> I have a big heavy old glass american punch bowl (early 1900' pressed
> glass) on top of a built in cabinet, i thought me cats were real
> acrobats for the longest time, routinely i would find one of them in the
> punch bowl snoozing away, obviously having had to jump almost 6 feet
> across from the top of the fridge to the top shelf the bowl is on.

Cats don't jump.

They levitate.

> Then one day i was making a pot of stock and heard a noise behind me,
> turned around and looked up and the kitty was strolling calmly across
> the top of the window between the fridge and the cabinet, i uttered
> enough of a slight gasp to cause her to pause, almost unconcernedly, and
> give me a look of concern about me, an, "you o.k." kind of look from the
> cat who then proceeded primly to the fridge and jumped down about 1 foot
> and from there to a counter top and then the floor. With a very
> distinct request for food i was making (a fish stock).
>
> The more i think about it the more anecdotes that come to mind.
> So ill stop now.
> ---
> JL

Oh Do go on!

Cats are amazing people. :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Default English muffins

Nancy Young wrote:

> Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> get anything fancy.

Some people always get the top of the line, whatever it is. I think
that's misguided when it comes to toaster ovens. They are all flawed,
they are all very convenient. So I get whichever low-cost model is on
the best sale, and when it poops out I throw it away and get another.
Easy to do if it's $30 to start with, and not $150. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > > i love my toaster oven nancy. i use it all the time. it goes on the

back
> > > porch in the summer so i bake / roast small stuff without heating up

the
> > > house. i routinely roast a chicken leg quarter and a potato in it at

the
> > > same time. great for biscuits too!

> > Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> > I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> > get anything fancy.
> >
> > More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
> > potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
> > justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
> > mind.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Oh.
>
> God.
>
> Nancy, you definitely decided me now!!!!!!
> --
> Om.

I absolutely LOVE my toaster oven for things like roasted garlic. I hadn't
had a "mini" oven in over a year until this Christmas; hubby bought me one.
I can honestly say, we've used our "big" oven ONCE since we got the toaster
oven, and that was only to cook a ham. The toaster oven gets used every
day. The hubby never saw the need for a toaster oven until we got one. Now
we have hot ham and cheese baked bagels, warmed up leftover pizza, broiled
shrimp kababs, baked fish.......... you name it. It's endless. Get a
toaster oven. The lack of counterspace isn't worth worrying about compared
to what you can prepare in a toaster oven.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> > I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> > get anything fancy.

> Some people always get the top of the line, whatever it is. I think
> that's misguided when it comes to toaster ovens. They are all flawed,
> they are all very convenient. So I get whichever low-cost model is on
> the best sale, and when it poops out I throw it away and get another.
> Easy to do if it's $30 to start with, and not $150. -aem

Makes sense....... :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > > In article >,
> > > "kilikini" > wrote:
> > >

> > Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?
> >

> I can't BELIEVE your cats eat salad! Mine won't touch most people food
> unless it's shrimp or crab. They won't even eat chicken.
>
> kili

Mine devour chicken....... :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > > "AC" > wrote

> back

> the

> the
> > >
> > > Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> > > I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> > > get anything fancy.
> > >
> > > More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
> > > potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
> > > justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
> > > mind.
> > >
> > > nancy
> > >

> > Oh.
> >
> > God.
> >
> > Nancy, you definitely decided me now!!!!!!
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> I absolutely LOVE my toaster oven for things like roasted garlic. I hadn't
> had a "mini" oven in over a year until this Christmas; hubby bought me one.
> I can honestly say, we've used our "big" oven ONCE since we got the toaster
> oven, and that was only to cook a ham. The toaster oven gets used every
> day. The hubby never saw the need for a toaster oven until we got one. Now
> we have hot ham and cheese baked bagels, warmed up leftover pizza, broiled
> shrimp kababs, baked fish.......... you name it. It's endless. Get a
> toaster oven. The lack of counterspace isn't worth worrying about compared
> to what you can prepare in a toaster oven.
>
> kili

Good point... ;-)
And I just got done re-organizing the kitchen a bit, so could easily
make counter space now on the other side of the stove.

I had one when I was in college, and I do remember how handy it was!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"aem" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
>> I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
>> get anything fancy.

> Some people always get the top of the line, whatever it is. I think
> that's misguided when it comes to toaster ovens. They are all flawed,
> they are all very convenient. So I get whichever low-cost model is on
> the best sale, and when it poops out I throw it away and get another.
> Easy to do if it's $30 to start with, and not $150. -aem

Hee hee, hope I did okay. I got a Euro Pro, it has convection
and rotisserie (what on earth you could fit in there to rotisserie,
I don't know). Seemed like the best for the money, plus I had a
coupon, it came to 64 bucks.

Thanks. nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>> Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?

I have a cat who like tofu and seitan! She is always on a diet, LOL!

> My cats like _anything_ green.

Yes! like lizzards!
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > In article >,
> > Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> >

> >> Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?

> I have a cat who like tofu and seitan! She is always on a diet, LOL!
> >
> > My cats like _anything_ green.

> Yes! like lizzards!
> Pandora

Lizards, yes, okay! Mine are on constant lizard patrol. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

wrote:

> Make your own? It is surprisingly easy (well I was surprised). IIRC
> the Joy of Cooking has a good recipe.
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Here is the recipe for English Muffin Loaf that I've made for years. I
do the microwave version, and while it looks a tad anemic at first, once
sliced and toasted it is delicious.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> English Muffin Loaf
>
> Recipe By : Fleishmann's Yeast Co.
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Breads

> 6 cups unsifted flour
> 2 packages active dry yeast
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
> 2 cups milk
> 1/2 cup water
> cornmeal
>
> Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Heat milk and water until very warm. Add to dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover: let rise in a warm place, free from draft, for 45 min.
> Bake at 400 for 25 min. Remove from pans and cool.
>
> To make in Microwave:
> prepare as directed except reduce the white flour by 1 cup when stirring in the second addition of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon batter into two loaf dishes that are greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Rise as direceted.
> Microwave each loaf on high for 6 min 30 seconds. Allow to rest for 5 min before removing from pans.
>
> To serve slice and toast:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"Nancy Young" <
<snip>
> Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> get anything fancy.
>
> More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
> potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
> justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
> mind.
>
> nancy ===============

They do an amazing job with sweet potatoes, too!! When I was renting a
condo in D.C. (actually in MD), the home had a toaster oven but no
microwave. Blew my mind that somebody would not have a micro in the 1990s!!
Anyway, when I'd get home from work, I'd change clothes, clean the sweet
potato and toss it in the toaster oven. Then I'd go bike riding for about
45 minutes. Upon coming home I'd take the s.p. out, slit it and butter it.
Then I'd take a quick shower, grab something to drink and then dig in!
Awww, pure perfection... guess what'll be on the shopping list this
weekend?

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"kilikini" <

<snip>
> Lizards, yes, okay! Mine are on constant lizard patrol. LOL.
>
> kili
> ================

Boxer dogs too!

Max drives me *nuts* chasing lizards!! Poor critters... they have no idea
just how fast a Boxer is nor how much energy it has. Uggh and I hate
picking up and pitching out mangled lizards. Ewwwwwww.

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote

> The more i think about it the more anecdotes that come to mind.
> So ill stop now.

My cat's a picky eater. Considering that when I got her, you
couldn't feed her enough, she was voracious, starving, she will
turn her nose up at people food.

Unless the people food happens to be Cheez Its or Doritos,
any kind of cheese snack. She'll lick the cheese off until the
chip falls apart, thing is you have to hold it for her.

Gets kinda gross.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Nancy Young wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> get anything fancy.
>
> More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
> potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
> justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
> mind.
>
> nancy

If you don't mind paying extra, get one of the ones with the removeable
liner. Much easier to clean.

We bake flatbreads, muffins, pizza etc in our toaster oven. Also good
for garlic bread, potato patties, keeping waffles and pancakes warm
until serving etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote
>
> > Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top vertical
> > tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat rubbery/elastic
> > texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are thinner
> > and
> > square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here.

> Are you talking about a bialy?
>
> nancy

Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).

And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "Shaun aRe" > wrote
>>
>> > Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top
>> > vertical
>> > tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat
>> > rubbery/elastic
>> > texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are
>> > thinner
>> > and
>> > square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here.

>> Are you talking about a bialy?
>>
>> nancy

> Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
> cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).
>
> And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

Oh, no ... I thought what he was describing sounded more like
a bialy than a crumpet.

While we're on the subject, anyone else ever buy the
Wolfermann's english muffins or crumpets? I stopped
buying because I'd get too many and kinda get sick
of looking at them filling up my freezer. They were good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Arri London wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>"Shaun aRe" > wrote
>>

>>>Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top vertical
>>>tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat rubbery/elastic
>>>texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are thinner
>>>and
>>>square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here.

>>Are you talking about a bialy?
>>
>>nancy

> Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
> cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).
>
> And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
muffins, back upthread.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Bob (this one)" > wrote

> A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
> muffins, back upthread.

I did see your recipes, I forgot to say thanks, I might try
to make them. I'd just have to find a long enough fork to
split them.

(just kidding) nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 19 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
> > A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
> > muffins, back upthread.

> I did see your recipes, I forgot to say thanks, I might try
> to make them. I'd just have to find a long enough fork to
> split them.
>
> (just kidding) nancy

Pikelet pronounced pike let. Somebody was searching for this in this
thread...and the name just came to me...I must be physcocic or
something...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 07:35:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
>> A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
>> muffins, back upthread.

> I did see your recipes, I forgot to say thanks, I might try
> to make them. I'd just have to find a long enough fork to
> split them.

Nancy, I use an old angel food cake server. I don't know if they're made any
longer, but if you don't have one, you might find one at a thrift shop or
antique shop. It does the whole muffin at once. I push it in twice, first
once and then again at a right angle to the first.

http://tinypic.com/m8px0m.jpg

--
Wayne Boatwright ŐżŐ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote
>
> > Muffins are bread now, right, heheheheh...

> Here ya go, brit boy.
>
> http://thomas.gwbakeries.com/history.cfm

Eee, where's the humour gone from Usenet?!? Heheheh...

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > "Shaun aRe" > wrote
> >
> > > Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top

vertical
> > > tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat

rubbery/elastic
> > > texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are

thinner
> > > and
> > > square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here.

> > Are you talking about a bialy?
> >
> > nancy

> Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
> cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).
>
> And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

Yes they are. Best way to describe them. You push down on the top of one, it
springs back quickly. Drop one on its edge, it will bounce some. Yes they
are made with batter though! Lovely things!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote on 19 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote
> >
> > > A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
> > > muffins, back upthread.

> > I did see your recipes, I forgot to say thanks, I might try
> > to make them. I'd just have to find a long enough fork to
> > split them.
> >
> > (just kidding) nancy
> >

> Pikelet pronounced pike let. Somebody was searching for this in this
> thread...and the name just came to me...I must be physcocic or
> something...

Yeah, I just couldn't recall if it had that e in it or not.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
> > A workable recipe for crumpets was included in my post about English
> > muffins, back upthread.

> I did see your recipes, I forgot to say thanks, I might try
> to make them. I'd just have to find a long enough fork to
> split them.
>
> (just kidding) nancy

LOL crumpets don't need to be split. They are toasted or grilled as is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > >
> > > "Shaun aRe" > wrote

> vertical

> rubbery/elastic

> thinner
> > >
> > > Are you talking about a bialy?
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
> > cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).
> >
> > And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

> Yes they are. Best way to describe them. You push down on the top of one, it
> springs back quickly. Drop one on its edge, it will bounce some. Yes they
> are made with batter though! Lovely things!
>
> Shaun aRe

Wow! Perhaps you've had some awful crumpets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:33:23 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I absolutely LOVE my toaster oven for things like roasted garlic. I hadn't
>had a "mini" oven in over a year until this Christmas; hubby bought me one.
>I can honestly say, we've used our "big" oven ONCE since we got the toaster
>oven, and that was only to cook a ham. The toaster oven gets used every
>day.

We use ours every day to make toast, and fairly often to make baked
quesadillas. Also, James likes his hot dogs cooked in there (he eats
fat-free hot dogs when he needs protein), and I do make lots of stuff
that's too small to bother with the oven for. But my big oven still
gets a lot of use. Last night, I baked veggie burgers in a
mushroom-and-onion sauce. The night before, a potato casserole. Etc.
I should see if I can fit one of my loaf pans in the toaster oven. If
I can, maybe I'll start making casseroles in there.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:27:43 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>or you can switch to a Cuisanart toaster, which someone so eloquently
>said "ejects" the toast.... right out of the toaster and onto the
>counter, just like a cartoon.

Ohmigod, I would *hate* that. Does it really do that?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:04:42 -0800, serene wrote:

them and

nothing

> > >I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
> > >'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
> > >knife, natch), you're good to go.

> > I have two words for you: Toaster oven. :-)
> >
> > serene, who never has to pry toast/muffins/bagels out of anywhere

> or you can switch to a Cuisanart toaster, which someone so eloquently
> said "ejects" the toast.... right out of the toaster and onto the
> counter, just like a cartoon.

I was lucky enough to buy a really good four slice toaster almost four years
ago. It's a Hamilton Beach/Proctor Silex Intellitoast model of toaster.

The box itself advertises several features, but the one that's the most
useful after the toasting cycle is done is the toast boost function.

Here's the specifics on the "toast boost" function: when the toast pops up,
the levers can be manually lifted up about one half inch more. Lifting the
levers up that extra distance also lifts the toast further out of the slots.
(When the levers are released, they back drop down the same small amount to
the original popped up position.) That's really helpful for smaller slices
of toast, english muffins, and sliced bagels.

(The specific model I have, according to the sticker at the bottom of the
toaster, is model number 24508, type T28, series A2320S.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

This may be sacrilege to english muffin purists, but I eat english
muffins several times a week and I have learned that the only way to
split them evenly is to slice them with a serrated knife.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>

>>Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>>out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>>a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> This may be sacrilege to english muffin purists, but I eat english
> muffins several times a week and I have learned that the only way to
> split them evenly is to slice them with a serrated knife.

Oh, Stan, How could you? You will be burned at the stake, I am
afraid. How terrible. You used a Serrated Knife, no less. Poor,
poor you.

I am drinking my fourth and last cup of breakfast coffee, black,
strong and hot and eating a toasted English Muffin with cream cheese
and Cherry Amaretto Jam. Before toasting it, I carefully pulled apart
the two halves of the muffin, which resulted in one large half in my
right hand and a mess of crumbs in my left one. (Not all halves are
created equal.) The jam, made and given to me by a dear friend, made
up for all the crumbs, which I ate with a spoon, without toasting
them. (

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Nancy Young wrote:

> Hee hee, hope I did okay. I got a Euro Pro, it has convection
> and rotisserie (what on earth you could fit in there to rotisserie,
> I don't know). Seemed like the best for the money, plus I had a
> coupon, it came to 64 bucks.

Sounds like a really good deal. Let us know if the rotisserie function
actually works. If it were me I'd never clean the spatters off the
inside walls and sooner or later I'd probably have a fire ....

Meanwhile, other things that I use the toaster oven for that I wouldn't
fire up the big oven for (unless making large quantity):
finishing (i.e., making good skin) baked potatoes first cooked in
the microwave;
roasted garlic;
biscuits (refrigerator and real);
herbed potato wedges (zap taters first, then cut in wedges, drizzle
olive oil over, sprinkle with rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper, put
in hot oven to crisp up);
burritos (guilty pleasure for lunch)--thaw in micro, firm up
exterior in oven;
beets (rinse, wrap loosely in foil, bake, then peel and slice and
maybe finish in pan with butter and lemon juice);
small frozen pizza (SO guilty pleasure for lunch);
and, oh yes, English muffins. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Shaun aRe wrote:

> > vertical

> > rubbery/elastic

> > thinner

> > > Not even close. True crumpet is made with batter rather than dough and
> > > cooked in crumpet rings (aka fried egg rings).
> > >
> > > And definitely not rubbery/elastic!

> > Yes they are. Best way to describe them. You push down on the top of

one, it
> > springs back quickly. Drop one on its edge, it will bounce some. Yes

they
> > are made with batter though! Lovely things!
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Wow! Perhaps you've had some awful crumpets.

Maybe we just assign different values to 'elastic'? I've had hand made
English ones and just about every main brand at one time or another - I've
always loved them! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sarah

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>> Shaun aRe wrote:

>> > vertical
>> > rubbery/elastic
>> > thinner

>> > Yes they are. Best way to describe them. You push down on the top of

> one, it
>> > springs back quickly. Drop one on its edge, it will bounce some. Yes

> they
>> > are made with batter though! Lovely things!
>> >
>> > Shaun aRe

>> Wow! Perhaps you've had some awful crumpets.

> Maybe we just assign different values to 'elastic'? I've had hand made
> English ones and just about every main brand at one time or another - I've
> always loved them! ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe

Reminds me of one of my brothers not so bright girlfriends. My Mum asked her
if she'd like a piklet... her reply... no thankyou, I don't like fish!
Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

when did you first notice this?

http://www.iamfood.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > Wow! Perhaps you've had some awful crumpets.

> Maybe we just assign different values to 'elastic'? I've had hand made
> English ones and just about every main brand at one time or another - I've
> always loved them! ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

We must. The supermarket crumpets are awful and yes, rubbery. Homemade
ones I've had were much better and not elastic at all LOL.