Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Yoghurt Recipe and YOGHURT QUESTION

Chicken Yoghurt Recipe and Yoghurt Question

Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes

What I like about Indian cooking is that they use a lot of yoghurt.

I usually put the yoghurt in at the beginning of the recipe,
but then the creamy consistency gets lost in the cooking process.

Is this because i add "the wrong type" of yoghurt,
or is it like that?

INGREDIENTS

-1/2 chicken, cut into pieces
-1 little pot yogurt (5 fluid ounce) (150ml)
-4 cardemons
-3 green chillies (remove seeds) - finely chopped
-1 tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
-oil to fry
-salt to taste

-Grind to a paste :
===================
+3 green chillies (remove seeds)
+1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger
+6 cloves garlic

PREPARATION

1. Heat oil, add chopped chillies and cardemons and fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add ground paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken and fry till golden.
4. Reduce heat. Add yogurt, stir well and simmer on low heat till
yogurt is completely absorbed. (30 minutes)
5. Add coriander leaves, remove from heat and serve hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

wrote on 17 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Chicken Yoghurt Recipe and Yoghurt Question
>
> Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes
>
> What I like about Indian cooking is that they use a lot of yoghurt.
>
> I usually put the yoghurt in at the beginning of the recipe,
> but then the creamy consistency gets lost in the cooking process.
>
> Is this because i add "the wrong type" of yoghurt,
> or is it like that?
>
> INGREDIENTS
>
> -1/2 chicken, cut into pieces
> -1 little pot yogurt (5 fluid ounce) (150ml)
> -4 cardemons
> -3 green chillies (remove seeds) - finely chopped
> -1 tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
> -oil to fry
> -salt to taste
>
> -Grind to a paste :
> ===================
> +3 green chillies (remove seeds)
> +1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger
> +6 cloves garlic
>

> PREPARATION
>
> 1. Heat oil, add chopped chillies and cardemons and fry for 2 minutes.
> 2. Add ground paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
> 3. Add chicken and fry till golden.
> 4. Reduce heat. Add yogurt, stir well and simmer on low heat till
> yogurt is completely absorbed. (30 minutes)
> 5. Add coriander leaves, remove from heat and serve hot.

It is just like that...yoghurt seperates/curdles if heated too hard
and/or too long. So do most other milk products.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> wrote on 17 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Chicken Yoghurt Recipe and Yoghurt Question
> >
> > Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes
> >
> > What I like about Indian cooking is that they use a lot of yoghurt.
> >
> > I usually put the yoghurt in at the beginning of the recipe,
> > but then the creamy consistency gets lost in the cooking process.
> >
> > Is this because i add "the wrong type" of yoghurt,
> > or is it like that?
> >
> > INGREDIENTS
> >
> > -1/2 chicken, cut into pieces
> > -1 little pot yogurt (5 fluid ounce) (150ml)
> > -4 cardemons
> > -3 green chillies (remove seeds) - finely chopped
> > -1 tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
> > -oil to fry
> > -salt to taste
> >
> > -Grind to a paste :
> > ===================
> > +3 green chillies (remove seeds)
> > +1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger
> > +6 cloves garlic
> >

> > PREPARATION
> >
> > 1. Heat oil, add chopped chillies and cardemons and fry for 2 minutes.
> > 2. Add ground paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
> > 3. Add chicken and fry till golden.
> > 4. Reduce heat. Add yogurt, stir well and simmer on low heat till
> > yogurt is completely absorbed. (30 minutes)
> > 5. Add coriander leaves, remove from heat and serve hot.
> >

> It is just like that...yoghurt seperates/curdles if heated too hard
> and/or too long. So do most other milk products.
>
> --
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hmmm... all I see for my reply to this post is a repeat of the first
responder's post... wonder if that's only because I'm new to the group,
or because I did something wrong...

Diane B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Okay, I'll try this again...

Yogurt is usually added at the *end* of cooking for Indian recipes (and
others as well). That allows the "flavor" to be stronger and also
keeps it from curdling if it might have.

Heating yogurt above 120 degrees though will kill the live cultures in
it, but the nutritional value will still be there (calcium, etc.). If
you want to try to keep the cultures live, you could try not mixing the
yogurt into your food till it's out of the cooking pan and onto a
plate, etc., so the temp. of the food would be lower?

Diane B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oops.. I'll get this posting things right yet <g>.

Another thing I thought of re your question is that some of this could
depend on the yogurt you're using. Are you using full-fat yogurt, or
at least 2%?
There are also some yogurts which are thicker and/or creamier than
others...I'm no expert, but I believe that those made from sheep's or
goat's milk are more like that; anyone else know what I'm talking
about"?

Also, your recipe doesn't mention coconut milk, which is often used in
Indian cooking and can give it a creamier texture. (Unfortunately
coconut milk is also high in fat, so it's a no no for me...).

Diane B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on 31 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Oops.. I'll get this posting things right yet <g>.
>

> Another thing I thought of re your question is that some of this could
> depend on the yogurt you're using. Are you using full-fat yogurt, or
> at least 2%?
> There are also some yogurts which are thicker and/or creamier than
> others...I'm no expert, but I believe that those made from sheep's or
> goat's milk are more like that; anyone else know what I'm talking
> about"?
>
> Also, your recipe doesn't mention coconut milk, which is often used in
> Indian cooking and can give it a creamier texture. (Unfortunately
> coconut milk is also high in fat, so it's a no no for me...).
>
> Diane B.

whatever...if you boil any milk products (yoghurt, cheese cream, milk
etc...) they curdle leaving an unappealing looking meal.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MLI replied:

>> What I like about Indian cooking is that they use a lot of yoghurt.
>>
>> I usually put the yoghurt in at the beginning of the recipe,
>> but then the creamy consistency gets lost in the cooking process.
>>
>> Is this because i add "the wrong type" of yoghurt,
>> or is it like that?

> It is just like that...yoghurt seperates/curdles if heated too hard
> and/or too long. So do most other milk products.

Many Indian recipes call for chickpea flour to be mixed into the yogurt to
keep it from curdling.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> MLI replied:
>
>>> What I like about Indian cooking is that they use a lot of yoghurt.
>>>
>>> I usually put the yoghurt in at the beginning of the recipe,
>>> but then the creamy consistency gets lost in the cooking process.
>>>
>>> Is this because i add "the wrong type" of yoghurt,
>>> or is it like that?

>> It is just like that...yoghurt seperates/curdles if heated too hard
>> and/or too long. So do most other milk products.

> Many Indian recipes call for chickpea flour to be mixed into the yogurt to
> keep it from curdling.
>
> Bob

Can you please give more details on this? It is a technique that I think
would be very useful to me.

--
Peter Aitken