FoodBanter.com

-   -   Using Silicone muffin pans (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/79117-using-silicone-muffin-pans.html)

Alexis 16-01-2006 04:46 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
"gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".

Recipe I used for the popovers:

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
3 cups eggs
dash of salt.

fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
all, for 30 minutes.

Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!

Thanks,
Alexis.

Wayne Boatwright 16-01-2006 05:06 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:46:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Alexis?

> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
> muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
> chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".
>
> Recipe I used for the popovers:
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup milk
> 3 cups eggs
> dash of salt.
>
> fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
> a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
> oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
> all, for 30 minutes.
>
> Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
> difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
> their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!
>
> Thanks,
> Alexis.

Alexis, popovers and Yorkshire puddings usually require a very hot
preheated pan that will hold the heat and give an instant push to the
batter. This is impossible with the new silicone pans.

I've never tried your method, but I suspect that the silicone pans cannot
themselves sustain a hot enough temperature to produce the rising afforded
by metal.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

djs0302 16-01-2006 06:04 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

Alexis wrote:
> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
> muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
> chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".
>
> Recipe I used for the popovers:
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup milk
> 3 cups eggs
> dash of salt.
>
> fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
> a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
> oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
> all, for 30 minutes.
>
> Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
> difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
> their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!
>
> Thanks,
> Alexis.

I don't have the silicon muffin pans but have you tried dusting the
muffin pan with flour after you've greased it? The flour might give
the batter something to cling to.

Blair P. Houghton 16-01-2006 06:16 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

>3 cups eggs

Huh-wha??

3 **cups** of eggs?

Oh...and did you change flours? Low-protein flours make good biscuits,
but they rise poorly...

--Blair

[email protected] 16-01-2006 06:20 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

I've been using silocon pans recently for a variety of things --
different sizes, large and small muffins, banana bread loaves, etc.

However, for popovers and Yorkshire Pudds, as someone said, you need to
pre-heat the pan to very hot. This is one case where you need to go
back to metal. For popovers I have special pans where theindividual
cups are separated from each other. For real Yorkshire Pudding I use
old metal pie pans, and get a large result to cut or tear apart.

There seems to be a recent trend on this board to keep confusing
Yorkshire puddng with popovers -- although they have similar means of
preparation, but different ingredients.

MG 16-01-2006 04:38 PM

Using Silicone muffin pans

"Alexis" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
> muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
> chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".
>
> Recipe I used for the popovers:
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup milk
> 3 cups eggs
> dash of salt.
>
> fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
> a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
> oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
> all, for 30 minutes.
>
> Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
> difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
> their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!
>
> Thanks,
> Alexis.

I've used the silicon muffin pans a few times; the first time the muffins
came out great, light and cooked, and slid out of the pan

the next few times, I did exactly the same thing I did the first time, and
each time they have stuck terribly to the pan, though they have risen well
and cooked thoroughly

Have spoken to a few cooking 'experts' (though not anyone in rfc I admit)
who in the main say that I shouldn't grease or flour the pans (I didn't) and
they're supposed to keep working well, but I haven't found that to be the
case...maybe I'll try the butter/flour thing and see what happens
Cheers from Oz
Maria

[email protected] 16-01-2006 04:53 PM

Using Silicone muffin pans

Chris 16-01-2006 06:53 PM

Using Silicone muffin pans

"Alexis" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> suggestions?

I'm not wild about them, myself. I have a silicone mini-muffin pan and
while I don't have trouble getting things to rise, I don't like the
floppiness of the pan. I spray w/ PAM or the equivalent. The muffins don't
"tumble" out, rather, I have to push the individual cups inside out from the
bottom to pop the muffins out. They don't stick, though. Also, you're
supposed to cool the muffins before removing (at least, that's what my pans
said) and I usually like to remove them after about 5 minutes, to eat them
while hot.

Not sure why your muffins aren't rising; sorry!

Chris

Alexis 17-01-2006 06:15 AM

Using Silicone muffin pans

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:46:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Alexis?
>
> > Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> > recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> > luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> > "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> > suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
> > muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
> > chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".
> >
> > Recipe I used for the popovers:
> >
> > 1 cup flour
> > 1 cup milk
> > 3 cups eggs
> > dash of salt.
> >
> > fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
> > a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
> > oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
> > all, for 30 minutes.
> >
> > Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
> > difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
> > their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alexis.

> Alexis, popovers and Yorkshire puddings usually require a very hot
> preheated pan that will hold the heat and give an instant push to the
> batter. This is impossible with the new silicone pans.
>
> I've never tried your method, but I suspect that the silicone pans cannot
> themselves sustain a hot enough temperature to produce the rising afforded
> by metal.

Thanks, Wayne.

Yes, it's three eggs, not three cups of egg (sorry for the typo). I've
never made a Yorkshire pudding, but I make popovers (with the
chilled-pan method) several time per month.

The timer went off on the silicone batch just a minute before I sent
the original post. Because I figured I had nothing to lose, I kept the
popovers in the oven while I was posting and let them bake for an
additional 10 minutes (it seemed like a long additional time -- a full
third of the original baking time, I know). Lo and behold, at the end
of the additional ten minutes I had *popped* popovers! They were
somewhat more dense than the usual metal-pan ones, but they tasted just
as rich and were perfect with the soup.

However, I think I'll go back to metal for these. Muffin tins have
always worked just fine. I know the reasons behind using the dedicated
popover tins, but honestly, I'd rather not have a separate dish to
store. I much prefer to use something I already have -- single-purpose
items, especially those used so infrequently, take up (IMO) more space
than they're worth.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try using additional flour on
the edges next time just to see what happens. These popovers did slip
right out -- I didn't have to press the cups from the bottom.

Alexis.

Doug Weller 18-01-2006 03:11 PM

Using Silicone muffin pans

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:53:52 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Chris wrote:

>"Alexis" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
>> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
>> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
>> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
>> suggestions?

>I'm not wild about them, myself. I have a silicone mini-muffin pan and
>while I don't have trouble getting things to rise, I don't like the
>floppiness of the pan.

Some of them have rigid frames.

> I spray w/ PAM or the equivalent.

I use something made by Nordicware.