FoodBanter.com

-   -   sheephead w/ lentils & chicken peas (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/79099-sheephead-w-lentils-chicken.html)

Hayabusa 15-01-2006 10:08 PM

sheephead w/ lentils & chicken peas

This is what I did last week:

1 cup of dried chicken peas
1 cup of red small lentils
1/2 cup of mung beans
1 piece of garlic, minced
1 sheep head
1 tsp cinnamon ground
1/2 tsp cloves ground
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
s&p to taste
laurel, other spices as you like them
1 carrot sliced
1 onion quartered
1 or two stems of celery
1/2 cup of raisins
1 cube of broth
laurel
allspice

I get the sheep head at the local turkish supermarket, costs only 1.50
€ and provides sufficient meat plus lots of taste (I live in Aachen,
Germany)

Ask butcher to cut the sheephead lengthwise; cover with water, add
sliced carrot, celery, onion, laurel, pepper, cube-of-broth, juniper
seeds if you like, allspice, let simmer for at least one hour.

Head is done when the skin of the tongue peels easily. Throw away
bones and pieces of the head you don't want (gum, throat), separate
meat and brain (The soft stuff behind the eye sockets doesn't look
great, but provides a lot of good taste), cut everything into
tablespoon size, put aside

take out carrots and celery (or eat them)

soak lentils and chicken peas overnight, change water at least once

bring lentils etc. to boil with another cube-of-broth, cinnamon,
cumin, turmeric, s&p, , add minced garlic, add broth of sheephead
(without meat), let boil for 30 minutes until red lentils have
dissolved

add diced additional stuff (shrooms, some cabbage, another sliced
carrot, Brussels sprouts, diced green peppers, whatever you find in
the depths of your fridge), let simmer for another 10 minutes

add diced meat plus raisins, let sit for 5 minutes, serve.

Note that there is no fat at all except of what was in the head.
I love the stuff.

fkoe