Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OPINION ANYONE ?

What do you use to "seal" your formica countertops ?

Our countertops are "open", ( stain easily )
and I don't have a TV-show remodeling budget.

The old fix used to be a coat of SIMONIZE wax,
but that was 50 years ago.

There's gotta be some sort of new magic-coat
wax/seal/protect product.

????

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"<RJ>" > wrote
> What do you use to "seal" your formica countertops ?
>
> Our countertops are "open", ( stain easily )
> and I don't have a TV-show remodeling budget.
>
> The old fix used to be a coat of SIMONIZE wax,
> but that was 50 years ago.
>
> There's gotta be some sort of new magic-coat
> wax/seal/protect product.
>
> ????

They make formica wax, I've seen it at Home Depot/Lowe's.
As far as I'm concerned, car wax is just fine so long as you
don't use the cleaning kind.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ms. B. Haven

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:08:52 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>What do you use to "seal" your formica countertops ?
>
>Our countertops are "open", ( stain easily )
>and I don't have a TV-show remodeling budget.
>
>The old fix used to be a coat of SIMONIZE wax,
>but that was 50 years ago.
>
>There's gotta be some sort of new magic-coat
>wax/seal/protect product.
>
>????

I found this:

Q. I have a Formica countertop that is about eight years old. It is in
OK condition. The problem is that the counter stains very easily and
is difficult to clean, but it does come clean. Is there any polish or
coating I can put on it to help this problem?
- Des Moines reader

A.Formica, like any other surface, wears as it is cleaned and objects
are slid across it. (Formica is, by the way, a brand name of a plastic
laminate. There are several other brands.) The top layer acts as a
sealer. One way to seal the Formica is to use a cleaning wax such as
Pledge. This will seal the pores and renew some luster to your tired
counter.

Formica Corporation has a technical support line to answer questions
like this or solve installation problems. Try (800) 367-6422, or visit
formica.com.

http://www.dmregister.com/life/stori.../22914202.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Ms. B. Haven wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:08:52 -0700, "<RJ>" >
> wrote:
>

> >What do you use to "seal" your formica countertops ?
> >
> >Our countertops are "open", ( stain easily )
> >and I don't have a TV-show remodeling budget.
> >
> >The old fix used to be a coat of SIMONIZE wax,
> >but that was 50 years ago.
> >
> >There's gotta be some sort of new magic-coat
> >wax/seal/protect product.
> >
> >????

> I found this:
>
> Q. I have a Formica countertop that is about eight years old. It is in
> OK condition. The problem is that the counter stains very easily and
> is difficult to clean, but it does come clean. Is there any polish or
> coating I can put on it to help this problem?
> - Des Moines reader
>
> A.Formica, like any other surface, wears as it is cleaned and objects
> are slid across it. (Formica is, by the way, a brand name of a plastic
> laminate. There are several other brands.) The top layer acts as a
> sealer. One way to seal the Formica is to use a cleaning wax such as
> Pledge. This will seal the pores and renew some luster to your tired
> counter.
>
> Formica Corporation has a technical support line to answer questions
> like this or solve installation problems. Try (800) 367-6422, or visit
> formica.com.

Another very simple solution is [drum roll] not to stain the surface in
the first place. Use some sort of protective device whenever you set
down coffee, tea, red wine, anything that stains. And if you do spill
something clean it up, like now! I keep a couple of small plastic
cutting boards always handy... also keeps the laminate surface from
being unnecessarily abraded.