Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Indoor Grilling

I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
about any meat. We were really impressed! Unlike the table top indoor
grill we still have, the grill on the Jenn Air has a larger surface
area, temperature control AND no smoke in the house. The downdraft
worked as promised. The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
having to brave the outdoor elements. Clean-up was surprisingly easy.
All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I
washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I
only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove
with gaping holes in it. One downside to the Jenn Air but this is a
general one, the space under the stove is taken up by the downdraft
system so there is no storage. That leaves a storage problem for
additional element cartridges and the extra goodies available for the
stove. If space is a concern as it is with us, this is something to
work out before buying the stove.

We are having grilled salmon tonight. I'm going to the veggie market to
see if they have any nice looking asparagus.

BTW, our table top indoor grill is an open top large rectangle model. A
tray underneath holds water to help with the smoking problem but it just
doesn't work all that well. It has only one temperature Smoking is
the huge problem. I have no experience with the George Foreman style
grills so I don't know if there is a smoking problem. We got the boys
small GF style grills for Christmas so I'm waiting to hear if they like
them or not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
> stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
> of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
> if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
> about any meat.

Theory based on what? Fillet mignon is no test, it's about the easist
cut to grill... a burger requires greater grilling skill.

>The downdraft worked as promised.
> The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
> having to brave the outdoor elements.

Outdoor elements be damned... there's no comparison between food cooked
on an open grill and food cooked on a covered grill. An indoor grill
with downdraft is really just another version of the broiler in the
typical stove, just more Rube Goldberg-ish and obviously more
glamorous... created strictly for those with more dollars than brain
cells... and we all know you don't have any brain cells, which of
course leaves the entire purpose of your post just another vehical to
brag about your shallow-bitch materlism. And fillet mignon indeed....
a thick chuck steak would be a far better test.. far tastier too... and
naturally far, far less pretentious.

Sheldon Snobless

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
> stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
> of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
> if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
> about any meat. We were really impressed! Unlike the table top indoor
> grill we still have, the grill on the Jenn Air has a larger surface
> area, temperature control AND no smoke in the house. The downdraft
> worked as promised. The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
> having to brave the outdoor elements. Clean-up was surprisingly easy.
> All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I
> washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I
> only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove
> with gaping holes in it. One downside to the Jenn Air but this is a
> general one, the space under the stove is taken up by the downdraft
> system so there is no storage. That leaves a storage problem for
> additional element cartridges and the extra goodies available for the
> stove. If space is a concern as it is with us, this is something to
> work out before buying the stove.
>
> We are having grilled salmon tonight. I'm going to the veggie market to
> see if they have any nice looking asparagus.
>
> BTW, our table top indoor grill is an open top large rectangle model. A
> tray underneath holds water to help with the smoking problem but it just
> doesn't work all that well. It has only one temperature Smoking is
> the huge problem. I have no experience with the George Foreman style
> grills so I don't know if there is a smoking problem. We got the boys
> small GF style grills for Christmas so I'm waiting to hear if they like
> them or not.

I have a GF style electric grill and no, smoke is not a problem.
Everything drains off into the catch container so there is nothing to
_make_ any smoke as long as you keep them clean.

I love mine and use it a lot.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
>>stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
>>of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
>>if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
>>about any meat. We were really impressed! Unlike the table top indoor
>>grill we still have, the grill on the Jenn Air has a larger surface
>>area, temperature control AND no smoke in the house. The downdraft
>>worked as promised. The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
>>having to brave the outdoor elements. Clean-up was surprisingly easy.
>>All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I
>>washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I
>>only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove
>>with gaping holes in it. One downside to the Jenn Air but this is a
>>general one, the space under the stove is taken up by the downdraft
>>system so there is no storage. That leaves a storage problem for
>>additional element cartridges and the extra goodies available for the
>>stove. If space is a concern as it is with us, this is something to
>>work out before buying the stove.
>>
>>We are having grilled salmon tonight. I'm going to the veggie market to
>>see if they have any nice looking asparagus.
>>
>>BTW, our table top indoor grill is an open top large rectangle model. A
>>tray underneath holds water to help with the smoking problem but it just
>>doesn't work all that well. It has only one temperature Smoking is
>>the huge problem. I have no experience with the George Foreman style
>>grills so I don't know if there is a smoking problem. We got the boys
>>small GF style grills for Christmas so I'm waiting to hear if they like
>>them or not.

> I have a GF style electric grill and no, smoke is not a problem.
> Everything drains off into the catch container so there is nothing to
> _make_ any smoke as long as you keep them clean.
>
> I love mine and use it a lot.

GE? Is that a grill on your stove that will use your venting system or
a table top model? One of the problems we had with the table top model
was the smoking but then we had no overhead vent either, just a window.
By table top, I mean something like our open style or GF. I've
noticed an increased use of indoor grills on the food network but all
are built into the stoves. Maybe they don't want to promote to portable
styles but IMO there is a demand for indoor grilling. Even the GFs are
quite popular. Not everyone has the luxury of green space for grilling
and some in apartments or condos it would be rather inconvenient taking
all your food down to green space just to grill then carting everything
back up. For those of us that have outdoor grills, we are subjected to
the whims of weather. I think it would be rather interesting to hear
what others think of indoor grills, some of their tips and opinions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

> Clean-up was surprisingly easy. All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove with gaping holes in it.

My wife and I received a Scunci Steam Cleaner for Christmas and our
first use was seeing how well it would clean our Jenn-Air grill-top. It
worked like a charm as not only is the steam powerful and hot enough to
cut through the accumulated grease but it comes with a nylon brush
attachment that allows you to scrub at the same time without damaging
the surface. (also great for the filter)

I definately recommend this product for a number of reasons:

Minimizes use of cleaners (409, Lysol etc.)
Comes with a variety of attachments for cleaning/steaming carpets,
rugs, drapes, clothes
Comes with both nylon and wire brush attachments for delicate surfaces
and hard to clean metal surfaces (ie. outdoor grills)
Easy to use, can be used 4 minutes after filling and plugging in
Light weight and user friendly

You can see it he
http://www.alltvstuff.com/ss1.html

kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:
> >

> >>I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
> >>stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
> >>of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
> >>if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
> >>about any meat. We were really impressed! Unlike the table top indoor
> >>grill we still have, the grill on the Jenn Air has a larger surface
> >>area, temperature control AND no smoke in the house. The downdraft
> >>worked as promised. The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
> >>having to brave the outdoor elements. Clean-up was surprisingly easy.
> >>All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I
> >>washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I
> >>only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove
> >>with gaping holes in it. One downside to the Jenn Air but this is a
> >>general one, the space under the stove is taken up by the downdraft
> >>system so there is no storage. That leaves a storage problem for
> >>additional element cartridges and the extra goodies available for the
> >>stove. If space is a concern as it is with us, this is something to
> >>work out before buying the stove.
> >>
> >>We are having grilled salmon tonight. I'm going to the veggie market to
> >>see if they have any nice looking asparagus.
> >>
> >>BTW, our table top indoor grill is an open top large rectangle model. A
> >>tray underneath holds water to help with the smoking problem but it just
> >>doesn't work all that well. It has only one temperature Smoking is
> >>the huge problem. I have no experience with the George Foreman style
> >>grills so I don't know if there is a smoking problem. We got the boys
> >>small GF style grills for Christmas so I'm waiting to hear if they like
> >>them or not.

> > I have a GF style electric grill and no, smoke is not a problem.
> > Everything drains off into the catch container so there is nothing to
> > _make_ any smoke as long as you keep them clean.
> >
> > I love mine and use it a lot.

> GE? Is that a grill on your stove that will use your venting system or
> a table top model?

Huh? She CLEARLY wrote *GF*, as In Geo. Foreskin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:
> >

> >>I thought I would post this for those who may be considering buying a
> >>stove with an indoor grill. Last night we broke in the grill component
> >>of the Jenn Air. The meat of choice was filet mignon. DH's theory was
> >>if the grill performed well with that, it would perform well with just
> >>about any meat. We were really impressed! Unlike the table top indoor
> >>grill we still have, the grill on the Jenn Air has a larger surface
> >>area, temperature control AND no smoke in the house. The downdraft
> >>worked as promised. The steaks were cooked rare and medium rare without
> >>having to brave the outdoor elements. Clean-up was surprisingly easy.
> >>All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I
> >>washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I
> >>only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove
> >>with gaping holes in it. One downside to the Jenn Air but this is a
> >>general one, the space under the stove is taken up by the downdraft
> >>system so there is no storage. That leaves a storage problem for
> >>additional element cartridges and the extra goodies available for the
> >>stove. If space is a concern as it is with us, this is something to
> >>work out before buying the stove.
> >>
> >>We are having grilled salmon tonight. I'm going to the veggie market to
> >>see if they have any nice looking asparagus.
> >>
> >>BTW, our table top indoor grill is an open top large rectangle model. A
> >>tray underneath holds water to help with the smoking problem but it just
> >>doesn't work all that well. It has only one temperature Smoking is
> >>the huge problem. I have no experience with the George Foreman style
> >>grills so I don't know if there is a smoking problem. We got the boys
> >>small GF style grills for Christmas so I'm waiting to hear if they like
> >>them or not.

> > I have a GF style electric grill and no, smoke is not a problem.
> > Everything drains off into the catch container so there is nothing to
> > _make_ any smoke as long as you keep them clean.
> >
> > I love mine and use it a lot.

> GE? Is that a grill on your stove that will use your venting system or
> a table top model?

It's a plug in, table top clamshell type grill just like the foreman,
only I like mine better. ;-) It's made by Hamilton Beach.

> One of the problems we had with the table top model
> was the smoking but then we had no overhead vent either, just a window.
> By table top, I mean something like our open style or GF.

George Foreman grills are clamshell type tabletop ones like mine.
You close them over the food so it cooks top and bottom at the same time.
You don't generally leave them flat/open.

I've never had an issue with smoke. It cooks to quickly, and all of the
fat and excess juice runs off the grill into a catch container.

> I've
> noticed an increased use of indoor grills on the food network but all
> are built into the stoves. Maybe they don't want to promote to portable
> styles but IMO there is a demand for indoor grilling. Even the GFs are
> quite popular. Not everyone has the luxury of green space for grilling
> and some in apartments or condos it would be rather inconvenient taking
> all your food down to green space just to grill then carting everything
> back up. For those of us that have outdoor grills, we are subjected to
> the whims of weather. I think it would be rather interesting to hear
> what others think of indoor grills, some of their tips and opinions.

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

kevnbro wrote:

>>Clean-up was surprisingly easy. All the components except the actual burner are dishwasher safe. I washed by hand not only to see how they would clean-up but because I only had a few things in the dishwasher and didn't want to see a stove with gaping holes in it.

> My wife and I received a Scunci Steam Cleaner for Christmas and our
> first use was seeing how well it would clean our Jenn-Air grill-top. It
> worked like a charm as not only is the steam powerful and hot enough to
> cut through the accumulated grease but it comes with a nylon brush
> attachment that allows you to scrub at the same time without damaging
> the surface. (also great for the filter)

I've had a hand held steam cleaner - Fantom brand - and yes it is
really, really good. It eliminates the need for harsh chemicals while
sanitizing. I use is for quite a few things around the kitchen.
Honestly though, the way the Jenn Air grill cleaned up there is no need
for the steam cleaner. Either wash the components by hand or pop into
the dishwasher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>'ve had a hand held steam cleaner - Fantom brand - and yes it is really, really good. It eliminates the need for harsh chemicals while sanitizing. I use is for quite a few things around the kitchen.
Honestly though, the way the Jenn Air grill cleaned up there is no need
for the steam cleaner. Either wash the components by hand or pop into
the dishwasher.

I usually do pop the grills themselves along with the filter into the
dishwasher but the steamer makes cleaning the grease trap surface much
easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:

> Not everyone has the luxury of green space for grilling
> and some in apartments or condos it would be rather inconvenient taking
> all your food down to green space just to grill then carting everything
> back up.

It would be even more difficult to install an expensive permanent
appliance in an abode one does not own. I've never heard of a renter
who would take it upon themself to install a down drought grill, nor
would any landlord pay for the installation and then permit the tenant
to remove the grill leaving a big hole when they depart. Most tenants
have difficulty getting a landlord to replace normal malfunctioning
appliances with same. You are simply setting forth a ficticious
scenario in a feeble attempt to prove a point, meaning you have no
point.

> For those of us that have outdoor grills, we are subjected to
> the whims of weather.

Weather has little to do with anything... if folks never planned to do
anything outdoors in advance because there may be inclement weather
they may as well blow their brains out now. It doesn't rain every
day... so what if foul weather prevents grilling outdoors a few times a
year... what are you, a wuss. Look at all the folks who install
outdoor swimming pools, they have far more reason to use weather as an
excuse, especially when comparing the difference in cost between a pool
and a grill... and both are purely luxuries, and equally so.

> I think it would be rather interesting to hear
> what others think of indoor grills, some of their tips and opinions.

Compared to the typical covered outdoor grill, even the least expensive
model, even a $5 used hibachi... indoor grills suck, regardless how
much you pay... it is strictly a pretentious status symbol. An indoor
grill does nothing can't be done on the typical stove broiler, and
broilers do it better.

Seems to me all you're doing is making a mighty effort to justify your
pretentiousness/snobishness... you must feel great guilt when spending
your husband's money... you must come from great poverty... you
certainly haven't demonstrated any class, except low.

Sheldon Snobless

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Sheldon wrote:

<snip>

> Sheldon Snobless

Surely you meant Knobless?

Bwahahahahahahahaha

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

cathyxyz wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Sheldon Snobless
>>

> Surely you meant Knobless?
>
> Bwahahahahahahahaha

Nope, likely a knobless knob is more to his description
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

kevnbro wrote:

>>'ve had a hand held steam cleaner - Fantom brand - and yes it is really, really good. It eliminates the need for harsh chemicals while sanitizing. I use is for quite a few things around the kitchen.

> Honestly though, the way the Jenn Air grill cleaned up there is no need
> for the steam cleaner. Either wash the components by hand or pop into
> the dishwasher.
>
> I usually do pop the grills themselves along with the filter into the
> dishwasher but the steamer makes cleaning the grease trap surface much
> easier.

Do you mean the drip pan under the Jenn Air grill or the grease cup and
holder? I found the drip pan cleaned up quite nicely with hot soap and
water. I didn't think to check the grease cup last night but checking
it now revealed only a film that I washed off with hot soapy water. I
think if you let the grease build up on these things, the hand steamer
would really help clean them but if you wash as you go there shouldn't
be the need for real heavy cleaning. I might be missing something
though so I'll keep the steam cleaner in mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Sheldon Snobless
> >

> Surely you meant Knobless?
>
> Bwahahahahahahahaha

<lol>
--
Om.

Indoor diy barbeques sam coleridge General Cooking 34 08-12-2009 07:02 PM
indoor smoking Stormmee Barbecue 5 11-09-2009 03:36 AM
Indoor grilltop? Mark L. General Cooking 12 22-10-2005 01:22 PM
Indoor grill? Larry G General Cooking 6 19-06-2005 12:22 PM
Grilling machine that let's you dice/chop/slice meat while grilling Forte Agent General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 12:03 AM