Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dieter Zakas

Default REQ - taco seasoning mix

Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are all of
you?

Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my sister,
who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first child.

Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.

Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?

Happ New Year! TIA

Dieter Zakas
--
Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your
better is best. (Billy Cox)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marcella Peek

Taco Seasoning Mix
2 t instant minced onion
1 t salt
1 t chili powder (ok, I like more)
1/2 t corn starch
1/2 t crushed dried red pepper
1/4 t dried oregano
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t dried garlic

Stir together. Add to cooked, drained meat along with 1/2 C water and
let simmer until thickened.

Frankly, most of the time I just order the taco seasoning from Penzeys.
They don't add msg to theirs.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

marcella

In article >,
Dieter Zakas > wrote:

> Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are all of
> you?
>
> Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my sister,
> who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first child.
>
> Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
> Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
> girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
> MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.
>
> Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
> make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
> such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?
>
> Happ New Year! TIA
>
> Dieter Zakas

Posted to rec.food.cooking
BoboBonobo

Marcella Peek wrote:
> Taco Seasoning Mix
> 2 t instant minced onion
> 1 t salt
> 1 t chili powder (ok, I like more)
> 1/2 t corn starch
> 1/2 t crushed dried red pepper
> 1/4 t dried oregano
> 1/2 t ground cumin
> 1/2 t dried garlic
>
> Stir together. Add to cooked, drained meat along with 1/2 C water and
> let simmer until thickened.
>
> Frankly, most of the time I just order the taco seasoning from Penzeys.
> They don't add msg to theirs.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

I consider myself quite lucky that I have a Penzey's about a mile away.

> marcella
>
> In article >,
> Dieter Zakas > wrote:
>
> > Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are all of
> > you?
> >
> > Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my sister,
> > who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first child.
> >
> > Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
> > Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
> > girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
> > MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.
> >
> > Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
> > make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
> > such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?
> >
> > Happ New Year! TIA
> >
> > Dieter Zakas

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Dieter Zakas wrote:

> Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
> Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
> girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
> MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.

This is the one I use instead of buying a "mix" and it tastes great. I
don't like to buy mixes when I have all the spices already, and using
them frequently means they're fresh.

Taco Seasoning:

1 Tablespoon Red Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Oregano
2 teaspoons Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Sugar.

Combine and store in airtight container. Equals one regular package
"taco seasoning"
I brown my meat and toss the spices in with a splash of water and cook
for a few minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen

Goomba38 wrote:
> This is the one I use instead of buying a "mix" and it tastes great. I
> don't like to buy mixes when I have all the spices already, and using
> them frequently means they're fresh.
>
> Taco Seasoning:
>
> 1 Tablespoon Red Chili Powder
> 1 teaspoon Paprika
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1 teaspoon Cumin
> 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
> 1 teaspoon Oregano
> 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
> 1 teaspoon Sugar.
>
> Combine and store in airtight container. Equals one regular package
> "taco seasoning"
> I brown my meat and toss the spices in with a splash of water and cook
> for a few minutes.

Do very many people measure spices when making tacos? Don't most people
just open each spice and pour some in?

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Dieter Zakas" > wrote in message
> Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are all
> of
> you?
>
> Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my
> sister,
> who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first child.
>
> Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
> Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
> girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
> MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.
>
> Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet
> and
> make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions
> for
> such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?
>
> Happ New Year! TIA
>
> Dieter Zakas
> --

Actually, I use Penzey's Taco seasoning, because it's just easier and it's
very tasty...and it doesn't contain MSG. I don't, however, mix with water as
they suggest. I just sprinkle it over the meat, along with some minced dried
onion, sauté a minute, then add a tiny amount of water or broth- just enough
to make sure all the meat is seasoned evenly. I don't like really wet taco
meat.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...stacoseas.html

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Karen" > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > This is the one I use instead of buying a "mix" and it tastes great. I
> > don't like to buy mixes when I have all the spices already, and using
> > them frequently means they're fresh.
> >
> > Taco Seasoning:
> >
> > 1 Tablespoon Red Chili Powder
> > 1 teaspoon Paprika
> > 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> > 1 teaspoon Cumin
> > 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
> > 1 teaspoon Oregano
> > 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
> > 1 teaspoon Sugar.
> >
> > Combine and store in airtight container. Equals one regular package
> > "taco seasoning"
> > I brown my meat and toss the spices in with a splash of water and cook
> > for a few minutes.

> Do very many people measure spices when making tacos? Don't most people
> just open each spice and pour some in?
>
> Karen

I cheated last time... ;-)

I chopped and sauteed' two whole onions, added some ground venison
sausage and chopped pork, one whole small jar of "Pace" brand chipotle
picante sauce, some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of chile
powder.

No, I don't really measure spices. I use the "that looks about right"
approach. <G>

I also added 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger, and just a smidgin of
powdered cinnamon.

I nearly always add cinnamon to mexican or Italian. Used sparingly, it
"brightens" the flavor and adds a subtle touch.

And yes, the tacos were delicious! I ate them over two days and my house
mate loved them too.

Served with fresh sliced leaf lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, shredded
cheddar jack cheese and a can of sliced black olives.

I've also gone to using the pre-formed crispy taco shells instead of
frying my own. I really really do like those better!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <Doaxf.5222$B93.2744@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> "Dieter Zakas" > wrote in message
> > Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are all
> > of
> > you?
> >
> > Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my
> > sister,
> > who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first child.
> >
> > Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning
> > Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a dinner for my
> > girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product because it contains
> > MSG, and substances in that chemical family give her a migraine.
> >
> > Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet
> > and
> > make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions
> > for
> > such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?
> >
> > Happ New Year! TIA
> >
> > Dieter Zakas
> > --

> Actually, I use Penzey's Taco seasoning, because it's just easier and it's
> very tasty...and it doesn't contain MSG. I don't, however, mix with water as
> they suggest. I just sprinkle it over the meat, along with some minced dried
> onion, sauté a minute, then add a tiny amount of water or broth- just enough
> to make sure all the meat is seasoned evenly. I don't like really wet taco
> meat.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...stacoseas.html
>
> kimberly

Used with twice the amount of meat suggested, Taco Bell brand taco
seasoning mix is ok. My only issue with it is that I think it's too
damned salty!

After this past weekend's success using that Chipotle sauce, I doubt
I'll ever buy TB's mix again.

I'll have to take a look at Penzey's.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joe Cilinceon

Dieter Zakas wrote:
> Hi, Group! Haven't seen you guys in what seems like forever. How are
> all of you?
>
> Me, I'm pleased to announce that in July, I will become an uncle; my
> sister, who is two years my junior, is pregnant with their first
> child.
>
> Anyway, tonight I had a taco dinner, and used Old El Paso's Taco
> Seasoning Mix on the beef. I thought that, were I to make such a
> dinner for my girlfriend Kelly and me, I caouldn't use that product
> because it contains MSG, and substances in that chemical family give
> her a migraine.
>
> Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the
> packet and make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop
> the proportions for such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes
> they'd like to share?
>
> Happ New Year! TIA
>
> Dieter Zakas

Here is what I use in place of Old El Paso (which I do like to use also).

1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix well. Yield 3 tablespoons mix. Equal in strength to a 1 1/4 ounce
package of commercial taco seasoning.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joe Cilinceon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I cheated last time... ;-)
>
> I chopped and sauteed' two whole onions, added some ground venison
> sausage and chopped pork, one whole small jar of "Pace" brand chipotle
> picante sauce, some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of chile
> powder.
>
> No, I don't really measure spices. I use the "that looks about right"
> approach. <G>
>
> I also added 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger, and just a smidgin
> of powdered cinnamon.
>
> I nearly always add cinnamon to mexican or Italian. Used sparingly, it
> "brightens" the flavor and adds a subtle touch.
>
> And yes, the tacos were delicious! I ate them over two days and my
> house mate loved them too.
>
> Served with fresh sliced leaf lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, shredded
> cheddar jack cheese and a can of sliced black olives.
>
> I've also gone to using the pre-formed crispy taco shells instead of
> frying my own. I really really do like those better!

I always cheat since I really don't like taco shells. I make what I call
Mexican hamburger helper.

I brown 1 lb of ground beef with a diced onion, garlic (to taste), 2 chopped
jalapeños, cayenne pepper (to taste), pinch of salt and fresh ground black
pepper in olive oil. Once the meat is browned I add a 1/2 cup of low sodium
beef broth, 1 sm. can of rotel tomatoes, 2 table spoons of salsa (your
favorite), crushed red pepper if you like it a little hotter. I let this
cook down till the broth is about gone then mix with elbow noodles and add
cheese when serving. I is better the next day as left overs as well. My wife
and kids love this about once a week.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
BoboBonobo

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I cheated last time... ;-)
> >
> > I chopped and sauteed' two whole onions, added some ground venison
> > sausage and chopped pork, one whole small jar of "Pace" brand chipotle
> > picante sauce, some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of chile
> > powder.
> >
> > No, I don't really measure spices. I use the "that looks about right"
> > approach. <G>
> >
> > I also added 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger, and just a smidgin
> > of powdered cinnamon.
> >
> > I nearly always add cinnamon to mexican or Italian. Used sparingly, it
> > "brightens" the flavor and adds a subtle touch.
> >
> > And yes, the tacos were delicious! I ate them over two days and my
> > house mate loved them too.
> >
> > Served with fresh sliced leaf lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, shredded
> > cheddar jack cheese and a can of sliced black olives.
> >
> > I've also gone to using the pre-formed crispy taco shells instead of
> > frying my own. I really really do like those better!

> I always cheat since I really don't like taco shells. I make what I call
> Mexican hamburger helper.
>
> I brown 1 lb of ground beef with a diced onion, garlic (to taste), 2 chopped
> jalapeños, cayenne pepper (to taste), pinch of salt and fresh ground black
> pepper in olive oil. Once the meat is browned I add a 1/2 cup of low sodium
> beef broth, 1 sm. can of rotel tomatoes, 2 table spoons of salsa (your
> favorite), crushed red pepper if you like it a little hotter. I let this
> cook down till the broth is about gone then mix with elbow noodles and add
> cheese when serving. I is better the next day as left overs as well. My wife
> and kids love this about once a week.

Two things wrong with that:
1. Onion should not be cooked. Cooking onions is not Mexican.
2. Do not use canned tomatoes and/or chiles.

You are correct in comparing that to HH. I'd be about as likely to eat
it.

> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I cheated last time... ;-)
> >
> > I chopped and sauteed' two whole onions, added some ground venison
> > sausage and chopped pork, one whole small jar of "Pace" brand chipotle
> > picante sauce, some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of chile
> > powder.
> >
> > No, I don't really measure spices. I use the "that looks about right"
> > approach. <G>
> >
> > I also added 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger, and just a smidgin
> > of powdered cinnamon.
> >
> > I nearly always add cinnamon to mexican or Italian. Used sparingly, it
> > "brightens" the flavor and adds a subtle touch.
> >
> > And yes, the tacos were delicious! I ate them over two days and my
> > house mate loved them too.
> >
> > Served with fresh sliced leaf lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, shredded
> > cheddar jack cheese and a can of sliced black olives.
> >
> > I've also gone to using the pre-formed crispy taco shells instead of
> > frying my own. I really really do like those better!

> I always cheat since I really don't like taco shells. I make what I call
> Mexican hamburger helper.
>
> I brown 1 lb of ground beef with a diced onion, garlic (to taste), 2 chopped
> jalapeños, cayenne pepper (to taste), pinch of salt and fresh ground black
> pepper in olive oil. Once the meat is browned I add a 1/2 cup of low sodium
> beef broth, 1 sm. can of rotel tomatoes, 2 table spoons of salsa (your
> favorite), crushed red pepper if you like it a little hotter. I let this
> cook down till the broth is about gone then mix with elbow noodles and add
> cheese when serving. I is better the next day as left overs as well. My wife
> and kids love this about once a week.

That does sound good. :-)

Try topping that with a little sour cream and sliced black olives.

Black olives are _magic_ with mexican food IMHO.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
BoboBonobo

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >
> > > I cheated last time... ;-)
> > >
> > > I chopped and sauteed' two whole onions, added some ground venison
> > > sausage and chopped pork, one whole small jar of "Pace" brand chipotle
> > > picante sauce, some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of chile
> > > powder.
> > >
> > > No, I don't really measure spices. I use the "that looks about right"
> > > approach. <G>
> > >
> > > I also added 1 large bulb of fresh grated ginger, and just a smidgin
> > > of powdered cinnamon.
> > >
> > > I nearly always add cinnamon to mexican or Italian. Used sparingly, it
> > > "brightens" the flavor and adds a subtle touch.
> > >
> > > And yes, the tacos were delicious! I ate them over two days and my
> > > house mate loved them too.
> > >
> > > Served with fresh sliced leaf lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, shredded
> > > cheddar jack cheese and a can of sliced black olives.
> > >
> > > I've also gone to using the pre-formed crispy taco shells instead of
> > > frying my own. I really really do like those better!

> > I always cheat since I really don't like taco shells. I make what I call
> > Mexican hamburger helper.
> >
> > I brown 1 lb of ground beef with a diced onion, garlic (to taste), 2 chopped
> > jalapeños, cayenne pepper (to taste), pinch of salt and fresh ground black
> > pepper in olive oil. Once the meat is browned I add a 1/2 cup of low sodium
> > beef broth, 1 sm. can of rotel tomatoes, 2 table spoons of salsa (your
> > favorite), crushed red pepper if you like it a little hotter. I let this
> > cook down till the broth is about gone then mix with elbow noodles and add
> > cheese when serving. I is better the next day as left overs as well. Mywife
> > and kids love this about once a week.

> That does sound good. :-)
>
> Try topping that with a little sour cream and sliced black olives.

Mexican style sour cream!

> Black olives are _magic_ with mexican food IMHO.

Yes, they are.
> --
> Om.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> 1. Remove Pickle from hind end
> 2. Go take a laxative before you post again.
> [snip]

Glad you posted that. I was going to, earlier, but got to laughing
about it. I have a good Mexican friend whose reaction when you say
something stupid is a long stare, full of pity. I kept visualizing his
reaction to the idea that they wouldn't cook onions or use canned
tomatoes in his kitchen. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
> >
> > 1. Remove Pickle from hind end
> > 2. Go take a laxative before you post again.
> > [snip]

> Glad you posted that. I was going to, earlier, but got to laughing
> about it. I have a good Mexican friend whose reaction when you say
> something stupid is a long stare, full of pity. I kept visualizing his
> reaction to the idea that they wouldn't cook onions or use canned
> tomatoes in his kitchen. -aem

I know it may be hard to believe, but I have actually witnessed real
live Mexicans cooking onions and using canned tomatoes. Will wonders
never cease?

Regards,
Ranee (who saw this crazed post shortly after his yelling at puester
about her doctor - I guess she is supposed to trust some dumb-ass on
usenet over her own doctor)

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> Regards,
> Ranee (who saw this crazed post shortly after his yelling at puester
> about her doctor - I guess she is supposed to trust some dumb-ass on
> usenet over her own doctor)

While I tend to agree with this concept, I've met some dumbass doctors.

Never hurts to google just to be sure..... :-)

And cross-reference with reliable sources.
There is also a lot of crap on the 'net. (duh <G>)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:17:00 -0500, Dieter Zakas
> wrote:

[taco seasoning]

>Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
>make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
>such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?

Mine's boring, but effective: a teaspoon each of cumin and chili
powder, and a pinch of salt.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On 12 Jan 2006 11:34:42 -0800, "BoboBonobo" >
wrote:

snip

>Two things wrong with that:
>1. Onion should not be cooked. Cooking onions is not Mexican.

Then explain ranchero sauce.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>
> > Regards,
> > Ranee (who saw this crazed post shortly after his yelling at puester
> > about her doctor - I guess she is supposed to trust some dumb-ass on
> > usenet over her own doctor)

> While I tend to agree with this concept, I've met some dumbass doctors.

Of course, I had to get rid of one recently and switch to someone who
actually paid attention to the answers to questions given, for instance.
I was just thinking of a raving, screaming freak on usenet who gets his
facts wrong versus a doctor someone has a working relationship with in
real life.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
ensenadajim > wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2006 11:34:42 -0800, "BoboBonobo" >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >Two things wrong with that:
> >1. Onion should not be cooked. Cooking onions is not Mexican.

> Then explain ranchero sauce.

And while we're at it, what is particularly Mexican about taco
seasoning mix?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Karen wrote:
> Do very many people measure spices when making tacos? Don't most people
> just open each spice and pour some in?
>
> Karen

I never measure any spices or seasonings, so when I write a recipe out,
I have to guesstimate how much I use.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:17:00 -0500, Dieter Zakas
> > wrote:
>
> [taco seasoning]
>
> >Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
> >make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
> >such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?

> Mine's boring, but effective: a teaspoon each of cumin and chili
> powder, and a pinch of salt.
>
> serene

To how much meat?
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> > While I tend to agree with this concept, I've met some dumbass doctors.

> Of course, I had to get rid of one recently and switch to someone who
> actually paid attention to the answers to questions given, for instance.
> I was just thinking of a raving, screaming freak on usenet who gets his
> facts wrong versus a doctor someone has a working relationship with in
> real life.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

No doubt about that... ;-)

I had to dump one when I found out that _I_ knew more about what my lab
test results meant than he did!

Now I see a good Endocrinologist.

The one I dumped told me that a low T3 did not mean anything.
T4 and TSH were all that mattered.

It's like, look doc, if you don't know what the hell it meant, don't
feed me a line of crap.

Go look it up!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message

> And while we're at it, what is particularly Mexican about taco
> seasoning mix?

Well, the packets I have have some definitely Southwestern looking
art on the front...:-)

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:06:08 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> serene > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:17:00 -0500, Dieter Zakas
>> > wrote:
>>
>> [taco seasoning]
>>
>> >Thus, I reason I could buy MOST of the ingredients listed on the packet and
>> >make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions to develop the proportions for
>> >such ingredients, or any favorite such recipes they'd like to share?

>> Mine's boring, but effective: a teaspoon each of cumin and chili
>> powder, and a pinch of salt.
>>
>> serene

>To how much meat?

I just mix that stuff together, then use it to taste (usually on some
meat-substitute stuff, not meat itself, though), then save the rest or
toss it out. Not like it's expensive.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:06:08 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > serene > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:17:00 -0500, Dieter Zakas
> >>
> >> [taco seasoning]

> >> Mine's boring, but effective: a teaspoon each of cumin and chili
> >> powder, and a pinch of salt.
> >>
> >> serene

> >To how much meat?

> I just mix that stuff together, then use it to taste (usually on some
> meat-substitute stuff, not meat itself, though), then save the rest or
> toss it out. Not like it's expensive.
>
> serene

TVP?
I've never tried that for tacos.

Is it good?
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:13:13 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> serene > wrote:

[taco seasoning]

>> I just mix that stuff together, then use it to taste (usually on some
>> meat-substitute stuff, not meat itself, though), then save the rest or
>> toss it out. Not like it's expensive.
>>
>> serene

>TVP?
>I've never tried that for tacos.
>
>Is it good?

My omnivore partners like it, as do I. I have also used other things
-- Morningstar Crumbles, tofu, diced/fried potatoes, beans. Potato
tacos are a normal thing in my family (my brother-in-law is from
Mexico, and he taught me to make them).

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:13:13 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > serene > wrote:

> [taco seasoning]
>
> >> I just mix that stuff together, then use it to taste (usually on some
> >> meat-substitute stuff, not meat itself, though), then save the rest or
> >> toss it out. Not like it's expensive.
> >>
> >> serene

> >TVP?
> >I've never tried that for tacos.
> >
> >Is it good?

> My omnivore partners like it, as do I. I have also used other things
> -- Morningstar Crumbles, tofu, diced/fried potatoes, beans. Potato
> tacos are a normal thing in my family (my brother-in-law is from
> Mexico, and he taught me to make them).
>
> serene

Hmmmmmmm....

Will have to try more crumbled tofu.
IMHO it makes a good egg substitute.

I generally mix them. :-)

Cuts calories.
--
Om.

Taco Seasoning Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 10 29-09-2012 10:40 AM
Taco Seasoning Mix Janet Wilder[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-08-2008 03:16 AM
taco seasoning Morris General Cooking 18 08-10-2006 04:21 AM
Taco Seasoning... Me General Cooking 23 26-03-2005 06:04 AM
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2004 01:25 PM