General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Arri London
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic



Beeblebrox wrote:
>
> I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who swears she'll never
> again buy organic broccoli. Says she tried it once, and because there
> was no pesticide, the bunch was infested with so many little beasties,
> she couldn't get it clean enough to cook.


Nothing to do with organic; just bad farming. We buy a lot of organic
produce on sale and it's never infested with bugs.
Our own garden is organic and is essentially pest free.

Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.
  #42 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


"Arri London" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> Beeblebrox wrote:
>>
>> I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who swears she'll never
>> again buy organic broccoli. Says she tried it once, and because there
>> was no pesticide, the bunch was infested with so many little beasties,
>> she couldn't get it clean enough to cook.

>
> Nothing to do with organic; just bad farming. We buy a lot of organic
> produce on sale and it's never infested with bugs.
> Our own garden is organic and is essentially pest free.
>
> Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
> any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.


Thanks for this "USDA certified organic" I'll remember that.
Arri, for some reason I thought you live in England.
Dee Dee


  #43 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Peter wrote to Speed-o:

> Try "don't" instead of "dont." Also "countries" instead of "countrys." And
> also "can't" instead of "cant."
>
> Once you learn third grade spelling I will let you talk to my pet gerbil
> who will further instruct you in the art of civilized discourse.
>
> You are a pitiful, ignorant, looser. My bet is that you will always be
> that way. I feel sorry for you.


Try "loser" instead of "looser."

Bob, just trying to help


  #44 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Dee wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

<snip>
> Arri, for some reason I thought you live in England.


Maybe because his e-mail address ends in "uk"? Or was it because he's called
Arri LONDON? :-)

Bob


  #45 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Larisa wrote:

> It's easier to take a worm out of an apple than to take poison out of
> your body after you eat a non-organic one. I used to eat apples fresh
> off the tree, in Russia, and yes, there were worms in them every so
> often. So what? I'd take the creature out and eat the apple.
>
> The scary thing is when there are poisons and bacteria in your food
> that you *can't* see and take out that easily.


Speaking of poisons, how close were you (and your apples) to Chernobyl?

Bob




  #46 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
...
> Dee wrote:
>
>> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>> Arri, for some reason I thought you live in England.

>
> Maybe because his e-mail address ends in "uk"? Or was it because he's
> called Arri LONDON? :-)


He?

nancy


  #47 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
...
> Peter wrote to Speed-o:
>
>> Try "don't" instead of "dont." Also "countries" instead of "countrys."
>> And
>> also "can't" instead of "cant."
>>
>> Once you learn third grade spelling I will let you talk to my pet gerbil
>> who will further instruct you in the art of civilized discourse.
>>
>> You are a pitiful, ignorant, looser. My bet is that you will always be
>> that way. I feel sorry for you.

>
> Try "loser" instead of "looser."
>
> Bob, just trying to help
>


Sigh, hoisted on my own petard.


--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm


  #48 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
AllEmailDeletedImmediately
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
...
> at Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:15:09 GMT in


>
> And on the political side, there are plenty of liberals who automatically
> react negatively toward anything that smacks of conservativism. Thus for
> instance plenty of "liberals" react badly towards eating meat because
> again
> for various reasons, eating meat has become associated with the
> conservative end of the political spectrum.


then i must be really conservative. give me red and make it as close to
raw as possible. maybe i will try it raw.

>
> What it goes to show is that by framing the argument ahead of time you can
> easily cast your opponent as ignorant, foolish, erroneous, or whatever, no
> matter how well put their arguments are. Predefining the terms of the
> debate is the quickest way to ensure that there can be no rational debate.


which, of course, is the point.


  #49 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
AllEmailDeletedImmediately
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


"Arri London" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> Beeblebrox wrote:
>>
>> I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who swears she'll never
>> again buy organic broccoli. Says she tried it once, and because there
>> was no pesticide, the bunch was infested with so many little beasties,
>> she couldn't get it clean enough to cook.

>
> Nothing to do with organic; just bad farming. We buy a lot of organic
> produce on sale and it's never infested with bugs.
> Our own garden is organic and is essentially pest free.
>
> Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
> any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.


correct. unless you're familiar with the farmer.


  #50 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Rod Speed
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Peter Aitken > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Peter wrote to Speed-o:
>>
>>> Try "don't" instead of "dont." Also "countries" instead of
>>> "countrys." And
>>> also "can't" instead of "cant."
>>>
>>> Once you learn third grade spelling I will let you talk to my pet
>>> gerbil who will further instruct you in the art of civilized
>>> discourse. You are a pitiful, ignorant, looser. My bet is that you will
>>> always
>>> be that way. I feel sorry for you.

>>
>> Try "loser" instead of "looser."
>>
>> Bob, just trying to help
>>

>
> Sigh, hoisted on my own petard.


Yep, face down in the mud, as always.




  #51 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

>> Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
>> any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.


Well, maybe.

Excerpts from http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Despite receiving over 350,000 letters and phone calls from the
organic community, Republican leaders in Congress attached a rider to
the 2006 Agricultural Appropriations Bill to weaken the nation's
organic food standards, in response to pressure from large-scale food
manufacturers.

As passed, the amendment sponsored by the Organic Trade Association
allows:

....Numerous synthetic food additives and processing aids, including
over 500 food contact substances, to be used in organic foods without
public review.

....Young dairy cows to continue to be treated with antibiotics and fed
genetically engineered feed prior to being converted to organic
production.

....Loopholes under which non-organic ingredients could be substituted
for organic ingredients without any notification of the public based
on "emergency decrees."


--

My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.
But they don't really know me.

....Garry Shandling
  #52 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Arri London
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic



Dee Randall wrote:
>
> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> >
> > Beeblebrox wrote:
> >>
> >> I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who swears she'll never
> >> again buy organic broccoli. Says she tried it once, and because there
> >> was no pesticide, the bunch was infested with so many little beasties,
> >> she couldn't get it clean enough to cook.

> >
> > Nothing to do with organic; just bad farming. We buy a lot of organic
> > produce on sale and it's never infested with bugs.
> > Our own garden is organic and is essentially pest free.
> >
> > Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
> > any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.

>
> Thanks for this "USDA certified organic" I'll remember that.
> Arri, for some reason I thought you live in England.
> Dee Dee


Used to live in London. But not living there now *sigh*.
  #53 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Arri London
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic



AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> >
> > Beeblebrox wrote:
> >>
> >> I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who swears she'll never
> >> again buy organic broccoli. Says she tried it once, and because there
> >> was no pesticide, the bunch was infested with so many little beasties,
> >> she couldn't get it clean enough to cook.

> >
> > Nothing to do with organic; just bad farming. We buy a lot of organic
> > produce on sale and it's never infested with bugs.
> > Our own garden is organic and is essentially pest free.
> >
> > Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
> > any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.

>
> correct. unless you're familiar with the farmer.


True enough. Familiar and can trust the farmer.
  #54 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Arri London
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic



Steve wrote:
>
> >> Remember that little of the food marked 'organic' in the US really meets
> >> any standards. Look for 'USDA certified organic' for the real thing.

>
> Well, maybe.
>
> Excerpts from http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm
>
> Despite receiving over 350,000 letters and phone calls from the
> organic community, Republican leaders in Congress attached a rider to
> the 2006 Agricultural Appropriations Bill to weaken the nation's
> organic food standards, in response to pressure from large-scale food
> manufacturers.


AFAIK that was overturned.
  #55 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Larisa
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


Rod Speed wrote:

> > It's easier to take a worm out of an apple than to take
> > poison out of your body after you eat a non-organic one.

>
> No need to bother with the non organics, every modern
> first world country ensures that what is in them is safe.


Your trust is touching. I wish I could be that certain that huge,
multinational corporations are very concerned about my health.

> > I used to eat apples fresh off the tree, in Russia, and yes, there were worms
> > in them every so often. So what? I'd take the creature out and eat the
> > apple.

>
> I've never had any problem with any apple I have ever eaten.


> > The scary thing is when there are poisons and bacteria
> > in your food that you *can't* see and take out that easily.

>
> Nothing 'scary' about it in a modern first world country where
> there wont be any pesticide residue thats any health problem.


I dunno. My mother was terribly allergic to carrots - or so we
thought. She'd get hives and a runny nose and all sorts of nasty
symptoms after eating raw carrots, so she avoided them. She couldn't
even be around when someone was peeling or slicing a raw carrot.

And then we happened to buy organic carrots - and my mother, to her
great surprise, discovered that she had no symptoms at all. Her
allergies were not to the carrots, but to the pesticides.

LM



  #56 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Larisa
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Larisa wrote:
>
> > It's easier to take a worm out of an apple than to take poison out of
> > your body after you eat a non-organic one. I used to eat apples fresh
> > off the tree, in Russia, and yes, there were worms in them every so
> > often. So what? I'd take the creature out and eat the apple.
> >
> > The scary thing is when there are poisons and bacteria in your food
> > that you *can't* see and take out that easily.

>
> Speaking of poisons, how close were you (and your apples) to Chernobyl?


Not too terribly close.

LM

  #57 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Rod Speed
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Larisa > wrote
> Rod Speed wrote


>>> It's easier to take a worm out of an apple than to take
>>> poison out of your body after you eat a non-organic one.


>> No need to bother with the non organics, every modern
>> first world country ensures that what is in them is safe.


> Your trust is touching.


It aint trust, its rigorously established scientific fact.

> I wish I could be that certain that huge, multinational
> corporations are very concerned about my health.


You dont need to be, the whole point of the system every
modern first world country has is to make them concerned
regardless of what their natural inclinations are on that.

>>> I used to eat apples fresh off the tree, in Russia,
>>> and yes, there were worms in them every so often.
>>> So what? I'd take the creature out and eat the apple.


>> I've never had any problem with any apple I have ever eaten.


A few were a bit floury.

>>> The scary thing is when there are poisons and bacteria
>>> in your food that you *can't* see and take out that easily.


>> Nothing 'scary' about it in a modern first world country where
>> there wont be any pesticide residue thats any health problem.


> I dunno.


I do.

> My mother was terribly allergic to carrots - or so we thought.
> She'd get hives and a runny nose and all sorts of nasty symptoms
> after eating raw carrots, so she avoided them. She couldn't even
> be around when someone was peeling or slicing a raw carrot.


> And then we happened to buy organic carrots - and my mother,
> to her great surprise, discovered that she had no symptoms at
> all. Her allergies were not to the carrots, but to the pesticides.


Dont believe it.


  #58 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:47:28 -0800, Steve > wrote:

>
>Excerpts from
>http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/f...and-doesnt.htm
>
>
>Know when it pays to buy organic products to reduce your exposure to
>pesticides and other additives, and when its a waste of your money.
>
>Buy these items organic as often as possible:
>
>...apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes,
>nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and
>strawberries
>


Thanks for posting this!

serene
  #59 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
me
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

In article >,
"Rod Speed" > wrote:

> Plenty with a clue realise that 'organics'
> are a complete wank in modern first world countrys that have
> perfectly adequate setups that ensure that our food is safe to eat.


Yeah. That's why commercial ground beef is recalled by the thousands
of tons and factory chicken has to be cooked to death to make sure
it's safe. So what does _that_ make the U.S.?

I don't know what put that huge chip on your shoulder, Speedie, but
you might make some forward progress if you took it off. You're
KF'd, by the way, since you obviously don't want to discuss the
issue; you just want to reply with random lines of garbage.

sd
  #60 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
me
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

In article >,
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" > wrote:

> i eat organic all the time and have never seen a bug in my produce.


I actually cannot remember the last time I found something
"unwanted" in organic produce. Happens more frequently with stuff I
buy at the farmer's market, but even that still is rare and no big
deal to take care of. Certainly not worth the OP's friend's
reaction.

sd


  #61 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Oscar
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

me > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Rod Speed" > wrote:
>
>> Plenty with a clue realise that 'organics'
>> are a complete wank in modern first world countrys that have
>> perfectly adequate setups that ensure that our food is safe to eat.

>
> Yeah. That's why commercial ground beef is recalled by the thousands
> of tons and factory chicken has to be cooked to death to make sure
> it's safe. So what does _that_ make the U.S.?


That aint the organic vegys beind discussed, stupid.

Reams of your puerile shit flushed where it belongs.


  #62 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Oscar wrote:
> me > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Rod Speed" > wrote:
>>
>>> Plenty with a clue realise that 'organics'
>>> are a complete wank in modern first world countrys that have
>>> perfectly adequate setups that ensure that our food is safe to eat.

>> Yeah. That's why commercial ground beef is recalled by the thousands
>> of tons and factory chicken has to be cooked to death to make sure
>> it's safe. So what does _that_ make the U.S.?

>
> That aint the organic vegys beind discussed, stupid.
>
> Reams of your puerile shit flushed where it belongs.
>



Hey, welfare boy, how did I know this was from you without looking at
headers? That the best your pitiful self can do?
  #63 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
SD
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


Rod Speed wrote:

>
> I dont care about PESTICIDE RESIDUES IN MODERN FIRST WORLD COUNTRYS, stupid.


You are ASSuming all of your fruits and vegetables come from first
world countries all the time. It ain't true, Slick. Much of your OUT OF
SEASON produce comes from third world countries where the amounts of
insecticides and fungicides dumped and sprayed on stuff is outrageous.
I, as an ordinary citizen, can walk into any ag store where I live and
buy insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides that are only available to
certified pest control people in the US and other first world countries
or have been actually been BANNED from being used in those countries.

Take your head out of the sand booboo.

SD

  #64 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Rod Speed
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

SD > wrote
> Rod Speed wrote


>> I dont care about PESTICIDE RESIDUES IN
>> MODERN FIRST WORLD COUNTRYS, stupid.


> You are ASSuming all of your fruits and vegetables
> come from first world countries all the time.


No I'm not. I KNOW that my country doesnt
allow the import of fruits and vegys with levels of
pesticide residue that are any risk to my health.

And none of what I eat much of is imported from
other than another first world country anyway.

> It ain't true, Slick. Much of your OUT OF SEASON
> produce comes from third world countries


No it doesnt.

> where the amounts of insecticides and fungicides
> dumped and sprayed on stuff is outrageous.


No it isnt.

> I, as an ordinary citizen, can walk into any ag store where
> I live and buy insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides that
> are only available to certified pest control people in the
> US and other first world countries or have been actually
> been BANNED from being used in those countries.


And I know that we dont allow imports of fruits and vegys
that contain excessive levels of those into my country, stupid.

> Take your head out of the sand booboo.


Take yours out of your arse, ****wit.


  #65 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

"Rod Speed" > wrote in news:42ti4pF1l5srsU1
@individual.net:

>> Take your head out of the sand booboo.

>
> Take yours out of your arse, ****wit.


Ah, the benefits of a liberal education...

--

"Et nunc reges intelligite erudmini, qui judicatis terram."

"Rancor is an outpouring of a feeling of inferiority."

Jose Ortega Y Gasset


  #66 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Rod Speed" > wrote in news:42ti4pF1l5srsU1
> @individual.net:
>
>>> Take your head out of the sand booboo.

>> Take yours out of your arse, ****wit.

>
> Ah, the benefits of a liberal education...
>




Education? He drooped our if high school. Why do you think if works
history is three hours?
  #67 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


Rod Speed wrote:
>
> No I'm not. I KNOW that my country doesnt
> allow the import of fruits and vegys with levels of
> pesticide residue that are any risk to my health.
>
> And none of what I eat much of is imported from
> other than another first world country anyway.
>
> > It ain't true, Slick. Much of your OUT OF SEASON
> > produce comes from third world countries

>
> No it doesnt.
>
> > where the amounts of insecticides and fungicides
> > dumped and sprayed on stuff is outrageous.

>
> No it isnt.
>

This is confusing. From previous posts I had thought Rod Speed lived
in the U.S. , but apparently that is not the case. -aem

  #68 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

aem wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> No I'm not. I KNOW that my country doesnt
>> allow the import of fruits and vegys with levels of
>> pesticide residue that are any risk to my health.
>>
>> And none of what I eat much of is imported from
>> other than another first world country anyway.
>>
>>> It ain't true, Slick. Much of your OUT OF SEASON
>>> produce comes from third world countries

>> No it doesnt.
>>
>>> where the amounts of insecticides and fungicides
>>> dumped and sprayed on stuff is outrageous.

>> No it isnt.
>>

> This is confusing. From previous posts I had thought Rod Speed lived
> in the U.S. , but apparently that is not the case. -aem
>


He lives in Australia, if you consider "living" to be an entire life
on the dole.
  #69 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


William Souden wrote:
> aem wrote:
> >This is confusing. From previous posts I had thought Rod Speed lived
> > in the U.S. , but apparently that is not the case. -aem
> >

>
> He lives in Australia, if you consider "living" to be an entire life
> on the dole.


Oh, well then some of what he says makes a little more sense to me.
Australia has much better controls over what it imports than the U.S.
does. (And that's the only issue in this broad discussion that I am
addressing.). -aem

  #70 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
SD
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic


Rod Speed wrote:
> SD > wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote


>
> Take yours out of your arse, ****wit.


Two words for you **** OFF



  #71 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Rod Speed
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

SD > wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> SD > wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote


>> Take yours out of your arse, ****wit.


> Two words for you **** OFF


Is this where I'm sposed to curl up and die or sumfin, child ?


  #72 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Chloe
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> William Souden wrote:
>> aem wrote:
>> >This is confusing. From previous posts I had thought Rod Speed lived
>> > in the U.S. , but apparently that is not the case. -aem
>> >

>>
>> He lives in Australia, if you consider "living" to be an entire life
>> on the dole.

>
> Oh, well then some of what he says makes a little more sense to me.
> Australia has much better controls over what it imports than the U.S.
> does. (And that's the only issue in this broad discussion that I am
> addressing.). -aem


He not only lives in Australia, he seems unaware that there's a world
outside it that differs from it in any respect. I posted once about a
periodical cicada event

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomolog...6/444-276.html

occurring where I live, and he called me a liar. I haven't bothered
conversing with him since.


  #73 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
me
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

In article

..au>,
"Oscar" > wrote yet another idiotic six-word diatribe,
under a pseudonym because he doesn't have enough of a backbone to
support his own insularity with facts and his own name. *PLONK!*
sd
  #74 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

me wrote:
> In article
>
> .au>,
> "Oscar" > wrote yet another idiotic six-word diatribe,
> under a pseudonym because he doesn't have enough of a backbone to
> support his own insularity with facts and his own name. *PLONK!*
> sd



"Oscar" ,of course, is Rod Speed who needs to avoid kill files.
  #75 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Andrew
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
me > desperately attempted
to bullshit its way out of its predicament and fooled
absolutely no one at all, as always.




  #76 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Andrew wrote:
> Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
> me > desperately attempted
> to bullshit its way out of its predicament and fooled
> absolutely no one at all, as always.
>
>

Of course, Mr. Welfare fooled everyone with this post.
Rod, tell us about the fast food job.
  #77 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

"Chloe" > wrote:
>He not only lives in Australia, he seems unaware that there's a world
>outside it that differs from it in any respect. I posted once about a
>periodical cicada event
>http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomolog...6/444-276.html
>occurring where I live, and he called me a liar. I haven't bothered
>conversing with him since.


Yeah, he argued with me about apartment rents in my neighborhood. He's
clearly omniscient.


--

A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled.
  #78 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Rod Speed
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Steve > wrote

> Yeah, he argued with me about apartment rents in my neighborhood.


Lying, as always.


  #79 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
William Souden
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

Rod Speed wrote:
> Steve > wrote
>
>> Yeah, he argued with me about apartment rents in my neighborhood.

>
> Lying, as always.
>
>

Mr. Welfare considers that to be a rebuttal.
  #80 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
 
Posts: n/a
Default When to buy organic

tofuqueen wrote:

>I'm always astounded by the negative reaction to concepts that are
>simply "different".


Imo, it's more than just different. You're "dissing" their (unfounded)
trust in Gubmint. Sorta like telling kids there's no Santa Claus.


>Why do some people feel/react/seem so threatenedby the notion of
> not using pesticides? It's as if they take it personally :-)


They'd rather not have to entertain the notion that their present
consumption levels may not be as safe as they've been led to believe.(
they may be safe when consumed individually, but "ya can't eat just
one.")


>Why does anyone give a rat's ass if I choose to eat a diet that doesn't
>include meat, fish or pesticides?


Misery, (and tumors?) like company...??
(sidenote: pesticides have an affinity for fatty tissue, breasts, and
such)

>I have scratched my head on this one for about 3 decades and although
>I've learned to talk less and less about how and what I eat, I still see the
>reaction is alive and well in forums such as this.


Tip: Stop scratching, that's a poor way to energize your brain cells.
(How does it benefit you to know exactly what
makes other people tick....??)


pesticide trivia:
Last time I checked, "safe" levels were based on average per capita
consumption.
This assumes that every man, woman, & child consumes the same amount.
Well, duh....some foods, such as avacados & pears are
disproportionately consumed by a small minority of consumers. So,
they're getting their "safe" levels, plus the "safe' levels of those
who consume little or no avacados/pears and others, no doubt.


I eat very little of the hi-fat meats. Not concerned about the fat, per
se, but what's IN the fat. Pesticide allowances for animal feed are in
the stratosphere, as though it should't be a problem for humans
consuming them.

"You are what you eat.....and what the animals ate" ~ Jon K


DIET FOR A NEW AMERICA by John Robbins
(Stillpoint Publishing, 1987.)
<snip>
The Pesticides Monitoring Journal, published by the Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA), chronicles scientific studies and
research findings regarding toxins retained in animal tissues from
the pesticides they eat. And, meat-eaters eat these birds, fish
and animals. The journal confirmed what numerous studies have
discovered:

Foods of animal origin (are) the major source of. . .
pesticide residues in the diet.

Recent studies indicate that of all toxic chemical residues in the
American diet, almost all, 95% to 99%, come from meat, fish,
dairy products and eggs. If you want to include pesticides in your
diet, these are the foods to eat. Otherwise, switch to a diet
which is lower on the food chain and is organically grown.

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beijing Organic Shopping Guide - Organic food stores in Beijing MeiGuoXing General Cooking 2 20-10-2008 04:36 PM
Organic milk sold at ...... not organic at all Dee.Dee General Cooking 14 15-12-2007 01:56 AM
Sure that Organic Food is Really Organic? Monkkey's Unkle Vegan 2 18-05-2006 02:06 AM
Organic Milk, Organic Cheese Dee Randall General Cooking 1 17-07-2005 12:36 AM
Certified Organic Raw Cow Milk and Certified Organic Raw Goat Milk Tim Tea 1 23-02-2005 07:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"