Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

Default Egg-a-cup!

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:09:19 -0600, "jmcquown"
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Was laughing (thankfully) with Mom last night about a meal she used to make
>for me as a kid and which I still make for myself. We called it
>"egg-a-cup". It was simply two soft-to-medium boiled eggs with a teaspoon
>of butter, chopped up in a coffee mug and sprinkled with salt & pepper.
>Eaten with a spoon. When I mentioned what I had for breakfast yesterday, I
>said, "Egg a cup" and she giggled! "Egg a cup!", she exclaimed! Yep! We
>had a good laugh over that.

<snip>

This is what my son used to call a "juicy egg" when he was little.
He's 34 and he *still* calls it a "juicy egg."

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>
>> The British name for the lidded egg cookers is 'coddlers'. I have two
>> my mom brought back from her last trip to england. they're pretty. I
>> butter the inside lightly, then crack in an egg. If UI'm feeling
>> decadent, i add a tablespoon of cream or a pat of butter. ThenI put em
>> in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes or so. They're yummy!
>>

> Thank you very much, i had been searching for coquettes

Cocottes. <http://tinyurl.com/b5ucp>

Pastorio

> and could not
> find anything like what i had or wanted. "Egg coddler" turned up lots
> and lots of what i already have (ceramic) and several versions of the
> clear glass type that i want.
>
> Still have not found exactly they type i had in the past but William's
> Sonoma has what looks to be an acceptable version of the clear glass
> coddler.
>
> Thanks again, i would never have thought of the term 'coddler' on my own.
> ---
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> The Bubbo wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Was laughing (thankfully) with Mom last night about a
>>> meal she used
>>> to make for me as a kid and which I still make for
>>> myself. We
>>> called it "egg-a-cup". It was simply two soft-to-medium
>>> boiled eggs
>>> with a teaspoon of butter, chopped up in a coffee mug
>>> and sprinkled
>>> with salt & pepper. Eaten with a spoon. When I
>>> mentioned what I had
>>> for breakfast yesterday, I said, "Egg a cup" and she
>>> giggled! "Egg
>>> a cup!", she exclaimed! Yep! We had a good laugh over
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Back in 1965 when we lived in Lakehurst, NJ, I spent the
>>> night at
>>> Mikey and Bridget's house and the next morning their mom
>>> asked what
>>> I wanted for breakfast. "Egg-a-cup", I replied. She
>>> had to call my
>>> mom to find out what the heck it was. (laughing) I was
>>> five and
>>> thought *everyone* knew about egg-a-cup! That with a
>>> piece of
>>> buttered toast is a wonderful meal no matter what time
>>> of day.
>>> Think I'll make some for lunch <G>
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> My mom used to make that for me except she would chop the
>> toast up
>> and put the egg on the toast and serve it to me in my
>> peter rabbit
>> bowl. total comfort food.
>>
>> Thing is, she still does it for me when I need it and I'm
>> 32 years
>> old.

> LOL Mom is about to turn 80 and I make it for her now when
> I visit Funny
> how things turn around as you get older.
>
> Jill <--almost 46

I had it for breakfast today!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"~patches~"
<snip?

> BTW, since I'm into genealogy, I have noticed a couple of things. Some of
> my ancestors came to Canada in 1909. Of these, one was a strict
> vegetarian because her father had been a butcher. They lived atop the
> butershop and she just could not tolerate the smell of any kind of meat
> not even fish. This line didn't seem to adopt a real fondness of eggs as
> far as just eating them either. Now this is just my English lines. The
> French and Native lines get a lot more interesting as to what they ate.
> One of these days, I will share my findings

======

Woo-hoo!! I love hearing family history stuff....!!

I look forward to hearing the stories! Once I start taking Gingko again and
can remember my name... I'll have to share a few stories, too. LOL

--
Syssi