Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Default REC: Chicken with ginger and green onion salt dip

Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
good...

Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
2004 Issue)

1/4 cup minced green onions
2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
2.5 T vegetable oil
1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
more if needed)
3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
included dark meat)
2 cups hot cooked rice

Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

Default Chicken with ginger and green onion salt dip

"Karen MacInerney" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
> leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
> discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
> and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
> good...
>
> Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
> 2004 Issue)
>
> 1/4 cup minced green onions
> 2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
> 2.5 T vegetable oil
> 1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
> more if needed)
> 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
> included dark meat)
> 2 cups hot cooked rice
>
> Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
> Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
> to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)

So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
ginger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Chris wrote:
> So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
> eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
> What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
> ginger.

Chris,

I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
more rice than chicken, but that's me.

It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
great 'bland' foil for it.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Chris wrote:
> So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
> eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a time?
> What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot of
> ginger.

Chris,

I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
more rice than chicken, but that's me.

It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
great 'bland' foil for it.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Karen MacInerney wrote:

> Since I'm always looking for ways to 'feast on the remains' (a.k.a. eat
> leftovers that aren't cold and gross), I thought I'd pass this little
> discovery on. I tried it when we had leftovers from roast chicken...
> and wow! Hubby and I devoured it. Simple, quick, and really, really
> good...

It's based on a Chinese recipe. Add some minced garlic, skip the veg oil
and use a little chicken broth for a better dip.

> Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Salt Dip (from Cooking Light, Aug.
> 2004 Issue)
>
> 1/4 cup minced green onions
> 2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
> 2.5 T vegetable oil
> 1.5 t kosher salt (or sea salt -- I would cut it back a bit and add
> more if needed)
> 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used what I had, which
> included dark meat)
> 2 cups hot cooked rice
>
> Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
> Arranged chicken over rice; serve with dip. (I boiled up some edamame
> to go on the side, and some cut up fruit.)
>
> Karen MacInerney
> Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
> www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Karen MacInerney" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chris wrote:
>> So,...did you use the rice as a dip, or as a sauce? Can't quite picture
>> eating something over rice w/ a dip...do you just dip a forkful at a
>> time?
>> What did CL suggest dipping in it? IT sounds good, though that's a lot
>> of
>> ginger.

> Chris,
>
> I piled the chicken on the rice, then put some of the dip on top of
> that. When I made it, I put the dip, rice, and chicken all in separate
> bowls on the table: scoop of rice, a few forkfuls of chicken, and then
> dip on top of that. (Which, come to think of it, is what the photo in
> the magazine shows.) The recipe is supposed to serve 4, so if you use
> half a cup of rice and 3/4 cup chicken, you use 2 T dip. I tend to use
> more rice than chicken, but that's me.
>
> It sounds like strong stuff, but it's great; the chicken and rice are a
> great 'bland' foil for it.

Hmm. Will have to try it. We have half a chicken leftover from Tuesday's
dinner; if I can get out for the green onion and ginger, I can give it this
dip a test run at lunch someday this week.

Tonight's chicken (well, I guess last night's chicken, since I'm writing at
1:30 a.m.) was really good. I roasted a butterflied chicken, which I've
never done before. Sometimes my roast chickens never get fully cooked (or
else -- dry in the breast, undercooked in the legs), so I decided to try
butterflying it this time. It cooked quickly and evenly, and was very juicy
with nice crispy skin. A winner!

Thanks for the recipe and description. I will have to look back through my
old Cooking Light magazines to see if I have that one (sometimes I get tired
of magazines and unsubscribe for a while).

Chris