Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

Default Pictures of our kitchens

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:05:14 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg

>> Uhauuuuuuu! Beautiful! I see an hand in the picture. Do you read hands?
>> Pan
>>

>And I see a "hound," do I not?
>Dee Dee

There are two hands- a real one and a drawing of one!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:46:12 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>> modom wrote:
>>
>>> I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg
>>>
>>> Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
>>> that, but not today.
>>>
>>> What does yours look like?

>> Dirty Show Off!!!! You have Kitchen Cabinets and an Island!!!! This is
>> not fair and I will not play this game. So there. (
>>
>> Now, if someone initiates a game where we show the tiniest kitchens, the
>> ones with the least space......

>I can do that!

It looks sweet and homey to me. Quite functional, too.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:52:53 -0500, ~patches~
> wrote:

>modom wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:22:15 -0500, "MoM" >
>> wrote:

<snip>
>>>http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
>>>
>>>MoM
>>>

>> I couldn't get the link to work on my system, MoM.
>>
>> Lighter would be better in my kitchen, for sure. I think next summer
>> I'm going to paint all the cabinets white for the light that'll afford
>> me.
>>

>> modom

>Modom, I couldn't either. It takes me to a sign up page

Even if you sign up it won't go to MoM's page. It's not specific.
Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Tony P. wrote:
> In article > ,
> says...
>
>>Christine Dabney wrote:

>>>Yours isn't that small. Wait til I get mine cleaned up...
>>>
>>>Christine

>>the floor space is less than 6x6

> Interesting blog. Sorry to read about the car accident.
>
> Here's mine, though no food other than a champagne bottle and my crazed
> rants.

http://truthspew.blogspot.com

crazed rants are what the internet is for!

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

modom wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:46:12 GMT, sarah bennett
> > wrote:
>

>>Margaret Suran wrote:

>>>Dirty Show Off!!!! You have Kitchen Cabinets and an Island!!!! This is
>>>not fair and I will not play this game. So there. (
>>>
>>>Now, if someone initiates a game where we show the tiniest kitchens, the
>>>ones with the least space......

>>I can do that!
>>

> It looks sweet and homey to me. Quite functional, too.
>

> modom

it is very functional. a little inconvenient though, that there is no
window to the outside, or room for more than one person to work.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Roberta wrote:

> I wish my husband thought that lol...he feels that every counter should
> be clear at all times...even things like a food processor out is too
> much "clutter" :P

Pastorio's rule: There's *never* enough counter space.

Pastorio's other rule: Stuff should be out and available ("stuff" being
the equipment it takes to feed those neat freaks who confuse rational
accessibility with clutter).

Pastorio's still other rule: The cook determines what's cluttered and
what isn't. Everybody else is a spectator.

I have a badly-designed kitchen in the house we rent. Not enough counter
space, not enough storage. So I put in an overhead pot rack that's
essentially three two-foot circles of steel bolted together in a line.
Hooks around the circles with stuff hanging. Center circle has a heavy
wire mesh in it also from which things are hung. On one wall, a 3 X 5
wire mesh (four-inch spacing with 3/16" steel wires welded together) has
lots of things hanging - various molds, copper items, mandoline, rolling
pins, cast ironware, various muffin tins, etc. There's another hanging
rack over the stove with skillets, griddles, ladles and other stovetop
implements. That one is over the exhaust hood.

I brought in a shelving unit for the convection oven and coffee maker
(that we almost never use anymore) and for storage of coffees, teas,
oils, vinegars, baking items, some old-friend cookbooks (Joy of cooking,
Cookwise by Shirley Corriher, Good Housekeeping cookbook with all the
pictures, Fanny Farmer cookbook by Marion Cunningham and a few others),
etc.

Counters have a microwave, Kitchen-Aid mixer, Cuisinart processor,
DeLonghi deep fryer, toaster, blender, scales, spice mills, electric
kettle, butter, oils, (and knife rack, tea canisters, etc.). Things
that aren't on the counters are vacuum sealers, waffle maker, ice cream
maker and suchlike things that get occasional use. They're in a closet
with easy accessibility. I also have things in the basement like
chafers, propane and butane burners, fondue pots of many kinds, trays,
stands, service ware and years of accumulated restaurant chatchkes.

The whole arrangement stems from a restaurant perspective that says
things like "Don't store inventory behind inventory" and "Everything
within reach for the tasks at hand." Fetching time and reaching time and
rearranging time is all time wasted and makes cooking more onerous. I
want to be able to do a mis en place quickly. And to do the necessary
steps efficiently without tiring myself or taking more time than necessary.

I like to cook, I don't like to try to figure out where everything is. I
don't like to have to move stuff around to find other stuff. I clean as
I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
but not a big mess. When we have people over and they're in the dining
room when food is served, often they'll volunteer to help clean up and I
accept. They walk out to the kitchen and return soon. "Who cleaned
up...?" I just smile a superior smile and ask if they'd like another
brandy. Yes, I get smacked a lot, why do you ask?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> I like to cook, I don't like to try to figure out where everything is. I
> don't like to have to move stuff around to find other stuff. I clean as
> I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
> the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
> but not a big mess. When we have people over and they're in the dining
> room when food is served, often they'll volunteer to help clean up and I
> accept. They walk out to the kitchen and return soon. "Who cleaned
> up...?" I just smile a superior smile and ask if they'd like another
> brandy. Yes, I get smacked a lot, why do you ask?
>
> Pastorio

Like any _competent_ cook in general. :-)

Mom taught me to clean up as I go... so the kitchen is pretty much clean
when I am done except for the actual final food containers.

I'm learning not to let my BIL cook when the kids visit. OH my god!
He has not learned to do this and I end up with a pile.

Sheesh!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:00:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

[snip]

>I like to cook, I don't like to try to figure out where everything is. I
>don't like to have to move stuff around to find other stuff.

Boy you got that right. I really hate it when company "helps" with
the kitchen clean up. It's like a treasure hunt the next day.

>I clean as
>I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
>the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
>but not a big mess. When we have people over and they're in the dining
>room when food is served, often they'll volunteer to help clean up and I
>accept. They walk out to the kitchen and return soon. "Who cleaned
>up...?" I just smile a superior smile and ask if they'd like another
>brandy. Yes, I get smacked a lot, why do you ask?

I'm not trained like you, so my clean-as-I-cook skills are -- um --
latent. Yeah, that's it latent. I do try to reuse pans and such; it
takes so little to wash out a marinade bowl after the meat's on the
grill. But sometimes I leave a pretty messed up kitchen when I'm done
preparing the meal.

Speaking of training cooks, have you read Michael Ruhlman's books on
the subject? I liked them a lot.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:26:52 -0600, modom > wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:00:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >

>>I clean as
>>I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
>>the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
>>but not a big mess.

>I'm not trained like you, so my clean-as-I-cook skills are -- um --
>latent. Yeah, that's it latent. I do try to reuse pans and such; it
>takes so little to wash out a marinade bowl after the meat's on the
>grill. But sometimes I leave a pretty messed up kitchen when I'm done
>preparing the meal.
>
>Speaking of training cooks, have you read Michael Ruhlman's books on
>the subject? I liked them a lot.
>

>modom

I am gradually learning to do the mise en place and I find that helps
tremendously with the cleanup. I got a bunch of those clear glass
bowls from the dollar store, and now, when I am cooking, I chop up
everything first, and measure out everything I need. Then as I go, I
can put the empty bowls either into the dishwasher, or in a pan of
soapy water.

I find this concept is drummed in, on eGullet, and in Anthony
Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.

It sure is making cooking, and cleanup a lot easier for me.

As far as those books, yes they are great. And Michael Ruhlman is a
regular contributor to eGullet.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 08 Jan 2006 12:31:34p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Roberta?
>

>>Pandora wrote:

>>>ROTFL ! It means you are a good chef!
>>>pandy
>>>

>>I wish my husband thought that lol...he feels that every counter should
>>be clear at all times...even things like a food processor out is too
>>much "clutter" :P
>>
>>Roberta (in VA)

> Does your husband cook? It would seem not, or he would see the reason for
> things on the counter.

The poor man couldn't boil water lol...I tried to teach him to cook but
gave up, it's better that way really - I can cook the way "I" want to

He's sorta that way all around though - not wanting things out ... he
would be most happy if every flat surface in the house was clear
(bookshelfs are ok)

Roberta (in VA)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>

>>I like to cook, I don't like to try to figure out where everything is. I
>>don't like to have to move stuff around to find other stuff. I clean as
>>I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
>>the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
>>but not a big mess. When we have people over and they're in the dining
>>room when food is served, often they'll volunteer to help clean up and I
>>accept. They walk out to the kitchen and return soon. "Who cleaned
>>up...?" I just smile a superior smile and ask if they'd like another
>>brandy. Yes, I get smacked a lot, why do you ask?
>>
>>Pastorio

> Like any _competent_ cook in general. :-)
>
> Mom taught me to clean up as I go... so the kitchen is pretty much clean
> when I am done except for the actual final food containers.

I'm a clean up as I go as is DH. I don't like mess and I've always been
concerned about sanitary issues AND I hate waking up to a mess in the
kitchen. That's only happened a couple of times but I'm telling you
there is nothing to set your day off than a disordered or messy kitchen!
It just doesn't happen here. I need, no want, NO I DEMAND order in my
kitchen at all times

> I'm learning not to let my BIL cook when the kids visit. OH my god!
> He has not learned to do this and I end up with a pile.
>
> Sheesh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:54:02 -0600, modom > wrote:

>I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg
>
>Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
>that, but not today.
>
>What does yours look like?
>

>modom

I've posted mine before, but here's how it is tonight.

http://tinyurl.com/9257s

I resisted the urge to tidy up and instead took photos while it's in
use, which is a good excuse for disarray. So to pull the bread
machine out, other items have been moved to another room. Floor space
is 6.25' x 5'. The little digital camera has trouble with some
lighting so some of the photos are blurry.

I also included a photo of the giant macaroni and meatball I made for
my nieces' amusement last month.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in one
shot.

http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
this counter is now packed full of appliances
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and towels.
--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in one
>shot.
>
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and towels.

It looks like a beautiful old house. I like the arched doorway. Is
it a Tudor?

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

modom wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:00:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>I like to cook, I don't like to try to figure out where everything is. I
>>don't like to have to move stuff around to find other stuff.

> Boy you got that right. I really hate it when company "helps" with
> the kitchen clean up. It's like a treasure hunt the next day.

<LOL> I've used different words to describe the phenomenon.

>>I clean as
>>I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
>>the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
>>but not a big mess. When we have people over and they're in the dining
>>room when food is served, often they'll volunteer to help clean up and I
>>accept. They walk out to the kitchen and return soon. "Who cleaned
>>up...?" I just smile a superior smile and ask if they'd like another
>>brandy. Yes, I get smacked a lot, why do you ask?
>>

> I'm not trained like you, so my clean-as-I-cook skills are -- um --
> latent. Yeah, that's it latent.

<LOL>

> I do try to reuse pans and such;

I don't necessarily reuse. I drop them into the dishwasher. Go on to
dirty the next thing and stick it into the dishwasher near it's
companions. Fire it up, if necessary, when sitting down to the meal.
That way, it's ready for the plates and whatever we use for dinner.

> it
> takes so little to wash out a marinade bowl after the meat's on the
> grill. But sometimes I leave a pretty messed up kitchen when I'm done
> preparing the meal.

Put stuff into the dishwasher or into a sinkful of soapy as you go. And
if you use half a dozen spoons or bowls, no matter. They're out of the way.

> Speaking of training cooks, have you read Michael Ruhlman's books on
> the subject? I liked them a lot.

Agreed. Yep. Written from a good, inside perspective.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in

one
>>shot.
>>
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and

towels.

> It looks like a beautiful old house. I like the arched doorway. Is
> it a Tudor?
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

yeah, it's a little tudor duplex, super cute
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome.jpg
http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome8.jpg
Arch in the living room and one over the shower which I don't have a pick for.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:54:02 -0600, modom > wrote:
>
> >I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:

http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg

> >Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
> >that, but not today.
> >
> >What does yours look like?
> >

> >modom

> I've posted mine before, but here's how it is tonight.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9257s
>
> I resisted the urge to tidy up and instead took photos while it's in
> use, which is a good excuse for disarray. So to pull the bread
> machine out, other items have been moved to another room. Floor space
> is 6.25' x 5'. The little digital camera has trouble with some
> lighting so some of the photos are blurry.
>
> I also included a photo of the giant macaroni and meatball I made for
> my nieces' amusement last month.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Hey - I have the same bowls you do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:26:03 GMT, (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:54:02 -0600, modom > wrote:
>
>>I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:

http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg

>>Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
>>that, but not today.
>>
>>What does yours look like?

>I've posted mine before, but here's how it is tonight.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/9257s
>
>I resisted the urge to tidy up and instead took photos while it's in
>use, which is a good excuse for disarray. So to pull the bread
>machine out, other items have been moved to another room. Floor space
>is 6.25' x 5'. The little digital camera has trouble with some
>lighting so some of the photos are blurry.
>
>I also included a photo of the giant macaroni and meatball I made for
>my nieces' amusement last month.

Nice. I think we all need more counter space, though. When I'm
working in the kitchen, sometimes it's like I'm a gas. I can expand
to fill all available space.

I'm glad you didn't tidy up. I sure as hell didn't.

As to that meatball: Yikes!

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:05:14 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg

>> Uhauuuuuuu! Beautiful! I see an hand in the picture. Do you read hands?
>> Pan
>>

>And I see a "hound," do I not?
>Dee Dee

The printed hand is an anti-evil-eye hex a friend brought back from an
archaeologically oriented trip to Israel. It's Palestinian she told
us.

The hound is our own little Lefty. He's a busy little guy.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

wrote:

>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in one
>shot.
>
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and towels.

Thanks! The quasi-Arabian arch is really fun.

I'd love to see how your kitchen furnished now.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:27:54 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in

>one
>>>shot.
>>>
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>>>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>>>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>>>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and

>towels.
>>
>> It looks like a beautiful old house. I like the arched doorway. Is
>> it a Tudor?
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>yeah, it's a little tudor duplex, super cute
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome.jpg
>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome8.jpg
>Arch in the living room and one over the shower which I don't have a pick for.

What a sweetheart of a place.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

modom wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in

one
>>shot.
>>
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and

towels.

> Thanks! The quasi-Arabian arch is really fun.
>
> I'd love to see how your kitchen furnished now.
>

> modom

I promise I will clean to respectable levels tomorrow. I've been distracted
all day and then spent a good hour cleaning the wounds on my dog's face
because she thinks she's got THUG LIFE tattooed on her in big gothic letters.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

modom wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:27:54 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>Curly Sue wrote:

>>one

the

>>towels.
>>>
>>> It looks like a beautiful old house. I like the arched doorway. Is
>>> it a Tudor?
>>>
>>> Sue(tm)
>>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>>yeah, it's a little tudor duplex, super cute
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome.jpg
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome8.jpg
>>Arch in the living room and one over the shower which I don't have a pick

for.

> What a sweetheart of a place.
>

> modom

I love this place, it's a really great deal.
It's been an adjustment going from a 4 bedroom, 2000 square foot house to one
bedroom, 750 feet, but I'll survive. My big problems are that I live one block
from a coffee shop and a yarn store. So hard on my checking account.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:22:15 -0500, "MoM"
> >
> wrote:
>

>>"modom" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens.
>>>I'll
>>>start:
>>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg
>>>
>>> Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little
>>> neater than
>>> that, but not today.
>>>
>>> What does yours look like?
>>>

>>> modom

>>Nice!
>>
>>Ours is similar, lighter and more campact
>>
>>http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
>>
>>MoM
>>

> I couldn't get the link to work on my system, MoM.
>
> Lighter would be better in my kitchen, for sure. I think
> next summer
> I'm going to paint all the cabinets white for the light
> that'll afford
> me.
>

> modom

Ok, try these

http://tinypic.com/jzgwhi.jpg

http://tinypic.com/jzgyg6.jpg

http://tinypic.com/jzh1f4.jpg
There is sinks and upper cabinets here as well now.
http://tinypic.com/jzh276.jpg

Hopefully I'll have my new stove next week.

I'll take some more tomorrow. I'm waiting for my hanstone
countertop for my baking peninsula. And my chopping block
counter is in between the stove and over the dishwasher.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:50:48 GMT, sarah bennett
> > wrote:
>
>>the floor space is less than 6x6
>>
>>--
>>
>>saerah

> Mine is much less than that right now...I have this tiny
> apartment
> kitchen..with much less counter space, and cabinet space
> than you
> have.
>
> Christine

We have a mobile 70X14, so the kitchen is about 14X13 but My
fridge is on the opposite side of my baking island it's a
little out of the triangle but it still works. We built in
the portable dishwasher and put 2 microwave cabinets over
the chopping block counter. The top one is for baking
sheets and stuff.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the
>whole thing in one
> shot.
>
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
> this counter is now packed full of appliances
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
> the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with
> all my cambros, the
> microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the
> dishcloths and towels.
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Not bad!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get
>>>the whole thing in

> one
>>>shot.
>>>
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>>>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>>>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with
>>>all my cambros, the
>>>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the
>>>dishcloths and

> towels.
>>
>> It looks like a beautiful old house. I like the arched
>> doorway. Is
>> it a Tudor?
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> yeah, it's a little tudor duplex, super cute
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome.jpg
> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome8.jpg
> Arch in the living room and one over the shower which I
> don't have a pick for.
>

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Oh, that's nice!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

MoM wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > wrote in message
>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the
>>whole thing in one
>> shot.
>>
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>> this counter is now packed full of appliances
>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>> the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with
>> all my cambros, the
>> microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the
>> dishcloths and towels.
>> --
>> .:Heather:.
>> www.velvet-c.com
>> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

> Not bad!

my big complaint about this kitchen is that the sink, stove and fridge are
pretty much lined up and there is no ****er space next to the stove for
holding prepped stuff, so I get creative.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:00:27 -0500, "MoM" >
wrote:

>"modom" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:22:15 -0500, "MoM"
>> >
>> wrote:

>>>Nice!
>>>
>>>Ours is similar, lighter and more campact
>>>
>>>http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
>>>
>>>MoM
>>>

>> I couldn't get the link to work on my system, MoM.
>>
>> Lighter would be better in my kitchen, for sure. I think
>> next summer
>> I'm going to paint all the cabinets white for the light
>> that'll afford
>> me.
>>

>> modom

>Ok, try these
>
>http://tinypic.com/jzgwhi.jpg
>
>http://tinypic.com/jzgyg6.jpg
>
>http://tinypic.com/jzh1f4.jpg
>There is sinks and upper cabinets here as well now.
>http://tinypic.com/jzh276.jpg
>
>Hopefully I'll have my new stove next week.
>
>I'll take some more tomorrow. I'm waiting for my hanstone
>countertop for my baking peninsula. And my chopping block
>counter is in between the stove and over the dishwasher.
>
>MoM

Thanks. I thought at first that you had a GE Profile stove like mine,
but apparently not. It's the first new stove I ever owned and it
works very well by my lights.

Looks like there is quite a bit of construction going on in these
images. We remodeled a kitchen (somewhat) a couple of years ago in
another house.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 08 Jan 2006 08:00:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it MoM?

> "modom" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:22:15 -0500, "MoM" >
>> wrote:

>>>Nice!
>>>
>>>Ours is similar, lighter and more campact
>>>
>>>http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
>>>
>>>MoM
>>>

>> I couldn't get the link to work on my system, MoM.
>>
>> Lighter would be better in my kitchen, for sure. I think
>> next summer
>> I'm going to paint all the cabinets white for the light
>> that'll afford
>> me.
>>

>> modom

> Ok, try these
>
> http://tinypic.com/jzgwhi.jpg
>
> http://tinypic.com/jzgyg6.jpg
>
> http://tinypic.com/jzh1f4.jpg
> There is sinks and upper cabinets here as well now.
> http://tinypic.com/jzh276.jpg
>
> Hopefully I'll have my new stove next week.
>
> I'll take some more tomorrow. I'm waiting for my hanstone
> countertop for my baking peninsula. And my chopping block
> counter is in between the stove and over the dishwasher.

I love the color of the cabinets! Is that a microwave and a convection oven
to the right? How do you reach the top one? What brand of range hood is
that?

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:55:42 -0600, modom > wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:12:52 GMT, The Bubbo >
>wrote:
>
>>I found the pics from when I moved in. It's hard to get the whole thing in one
>>shot.
>>
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome4.jpg
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome6.jpg
>>this counter is now packed full of appliances
>>http://www.velvet-c.com/images/newhome7.jpg
>>the space on this wall now has a metal baker's rack with all my cambros, the
>>microwave, the mixing bowls, the dog supplies, and the dishcloths and towels.

>Thanks! The quasi-Arabian arch is really fun.

That's characteristic of Tudor-style houses. The inside is very
Tudor-ish, the outside seems mixed.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Roberta" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>I wish my husband thought that lol...he feels that every counter should
>>>be clear at all times...even things like a food processor out is too much
>>>"clutter" :P
>>>
>>>Roberta (in VA)

>> Does your husband cook? It would seem not, or he would see the reason
>> for things on the counter.
>>

> The poor man couldn't boil water lol...I tried to teach him to cook but
> gave up, it's better that way really - I can cook the way "I" want to
>
> He's sorta that way all around though - not wanting things out ... he
> would be most happy if every flat surface in the house was clear
> (bookshelfs are ok)
>
> Roberta (in VA)

I guess there's good and bad to everything. Even tho DH is the messiest
person in the world and I mostly overlook it (sometimes it does get to me)
the best part of it is that he never notices any mess I leave. I could
leave bread baking to clean up, fish grease, not throw out potato peels for
days on a counter, and he wouldn't say anything about it, but just would
eventually clean it up himself - not quickly, I might add.
The most favorite thing he does without ever being asked is 'empty the
dishwasher' and never needs reminded to take out the trash (it goes out to
the back 40). Little things mean a lot! -- tra la!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:58:15 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>modom wrote:
>>> I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg
>>>
>>> Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
>>> that, but not today.
>>>
>>> What does yours look like?

>>You're gonna have to wait till I clean. My kitchen looks like a disaster
>>area
>>right now!

> No excuses! Hrrrrumph. I showed you my mess. Show me yours.

You showed us more than that...you showed us your weiner! And it's cute!!

What's that big thing at the end of the island? Is it a pantry-type thing?
Very clever!

I will have to find a picture...I have some from a few years ago when I
entered Cooking Light's kitchen makeover contest. It wasn't quite pathetic
enough to win, but we haven't done anything in the meantime, so maybe it's
pathetic enough now!

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:26:52 -0600, modom > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:00:18 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >

>>>I clean as
>>>I go, like any competent restaurant cook. So when food is being served,
>>>the kitchen is clean, maybe a couple pots, pans or whatever in the sink,
>>>but not a big mess.

>>I'm not trained like you, so my clean-as-I-cook skills are -- um --
>>latent. Yeah, that's it latent. I do try to reuse pans and such; it
>>takes so little to wash out a marinade bowl after the meat's on the
>>grill. But sometimes I leave a pretty messed up kitchen when I'm done
>>preparing the meal.
>>
>>Speaking of training cooks, have you read Michael Ruhlman's books on
>>the subject? I liked them a lot.
>>

>>modom

> I am gradually learning to do the mise en place and I find that helps
> tremendously with the cleanup. I got a bunch of those clear glass
> bowls from the dollar store, and now, when I am cooking, I chop up
> everything first, and measure out everything I need. Then as I go, I
> can put the empty bowls either into the dishwasher, or in a pan of
> soapy water.
>
> I find this concept is drummed in, on eGullet, and in Anthony
> Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.
>
> It sure is making cooking, and cleanup a lot easier for me.
>
> As far as those books, yes they are great. And Michael Ruhlman is a
> regular contributor to eGullet.
>
> Christine

What I like best about mise en place is I can gather at leisure. First I
gather the ingredients, sometimes in groups, not all at once. Then when I
bowls, and then when I'm ready to cook, I've forgotten all about the time it
can take to pull all these ingredients together, and what fun it is to put
together a dish.

Sometimes after breakfast, during cleanup, I will get a head-start on this
mise en place for the next meal; during that time I feel very virtuous for
some reason.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:05:14 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:

>>> Uhauuuuuuu! Beautiful! I see an hand in the picture. Do you read hands?
>>> Pan
>>>

>>And I see a "hound," do I not?
>>Dee Dee
>>

> The printed hand is an anti-evil-eye hex a friend brought back from an
> archaeologically oriented trip to Israel. It's Palestinian she told
> us.
>
> The hound is our own little Lefty. He's a busy little guy.
>

> modom

Love those anti-evil eye 'thingies.' They may not work, but it's like
insurance, best to have. I always wear anti-evil eye bracelets (and a
pendant) when I go for medical office visits; it's fun.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:49:51 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>What I like best about mise en place is I can gather at leisure. First I
>gather the ingredients, sometimes in groups, not all at once. Then when I
>bowls, and then when I'm ready to cook, I've forgotten all about the time it
>can take to pull all these ingredients together, and what fun it is to put
>together a dish.

Exactly so for me. And I can clean up as I go, so by the time I am
cooking, I'm cooking in a CLEAN kitchen, and don't have to go looking
for anything. Not to mention it's easier to go out and buy a
forgotten ingredient *before* I turn on the stove and start sauteeing,
or whatever.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 08 Jan 2006 11:09:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it RoR?

>> I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
>> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg
>>
>> Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
>> that, but not today.
>>
>> What does yours look like?

> Here's mine. It's after a major remodel and before much use over the
> last 10 months.
>
> The only difference is that there are several more counter top
> residents, due to constant use.

And the picture is where? <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Wayne replied to RoR:

>> Here's mine. It's after a major remodel and before much use over the
>> last 10 months.
>>
>> The only difference is that there are several more counter top
>> residents, due to constant use.

> And the picture is where? <g>

Maybe it's that figurative "here." As in, "I got yer picture RIGHT HERE!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 08 Jan 2006 11:29:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
Terwilliger?

> Wayne replied to RoR:
>
>>> Here's mine. It's after a major remodel and before much use over the
>>> last 10 months.
>>>
>>> The only difference is that there are several more counter top
>>> residents, due to constant use.

>> And the picture is where? <g>

> Maybe it's that figurative "here." As in, "I got yer picture RIGHT HERE!"
>
> Bob

LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

modom wrote:
> I propose that we exchange pictures of our kitchens. I'll start:
> http://tinypic.com/jv1zxt.jpg

Cute! Complete with weiner dog!

> Note that it's a mess. D and I usually keep it a little neater than
> that, but not today.
>
> What does yours look like?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos

Two views of the kitchen and one of the nook off of it. To the right
of the nook through the arch is the formal dining room. I have 3
skylights in the kitchen which helps since it's rainy, dreary Oregon
right now...
-L.