Posted to rec.food.cooking
SAM@74955

Default Cleaning Stainless Steel

Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
be much appreciated.

Regards,

Stu MacDonald
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jessica V.

SAM@74955 wrote:
> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> be much appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stu MacDonald

I use paste wax on the sink after cleaning it with a commercial
stainless cleaner to keep it streak and stain free.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

SAM@74955 wrote:
> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> be much appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stu MacDonald

I know that barkeeper's friend and bon-ami both clean my stainless pots
and pans well. a wee bit of mineral oil, rubbed on and buffed with a dry
cloth, will keep it shiny after you clean it (until you fill the sink
again, at least :>)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

SAM@74955 wrote:
> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked.

If a stainless steel sink actually stains it's probably one of those el
cheapo kind you can buy on sale at Home Depot for $19.95. However, if
your sink is becoming all discolored from a coating of crud, that smply
means you're a slob.

To clean stainless steel spray with one of the popular all purpose
cleaners, like 409, then wipe with a soft cloth (wipe in the direction
of the brushed pattern), rinse with clean water and dry with a clean
soft cloth (not paper towel). Never use any abrasive cleaner on
stainless steel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Quinn

"SAM@74955" > wrote in
:

> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> be much appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stu MacDonald

Try vinegar. It was the best for getting the stainless steel kitchen
clean when I was cooking professionally.

--
---
Charles Quinn

"Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG

"SAM@74955" > wrote in message
> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> be much appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stu MacDonald

after using a mix of bicarb, salt and hot water to clean my silver jewellery
last night, I wondered what else I could use the bicarb for...turns out it
does wonders for the s/s sink using a damp cloth; just remember to rinse the
sink properly, or you will be left with a fine film of bicarb when dry lol

Maria

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 8 Jan 2006 09:49:05 -0800, Jessica V. wrote:

> I use paste wax on the sink after cleaning it with a commercial
> stainless cleaner to keep it streak and stain free.
>
> Jessica

Do you use it after you polish it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Wolf

Try a product called "Bar Keeper's Friend"

MG > wrote:

> "SAM@74955" > wrote in message
> > Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> > becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> > about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> > be much appreciated.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Stu MacDonald

> after using a mix of bicarb, salt and hot water to clean my silver jewellery
> last night, I wondered what else I could use the bicarb for...turns out it
> does wonders for the s/s sink using a damp cloth; just remember to rinse the
> sink properly, or you will be left with a fine film of bicarb when dry lol
>
> Maria

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jessica V.

sf wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2006 09:49:05 -0800, Jessica V. wrote:
> >
> > I use paste wax on the sink after cleaning it with a commercial
> > stainless cleaner to keep it streak and stain free.
> >
> > Jessica

> Do you use it after you polish it?
> --

Daily. I only polish the sink a couple times a year. The wax makes it
easier to keep clean and keeps female fingerprints from discoloring the
SS, damned estrogen.

Jessica

> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 9 Jan 2006 19:01:15 -0800, Jessica V. wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 8 Jan 2006 09:49:05 -0800, Jessica V. wrote:
> > >
> > > I use paste wax on the sink after cleaning it with a commercial
> > > stainless cleaner to keep it streak and stain free.
> > >
> > > Jessica

> > Do you use it after you polish it?
> > --

> Daily. I only polish the sink a couple times a year. The wax makes it
> easier to keep clean and keeps female fingerprints from discoloring the
> SS, damned estrogen.
>
> Jessica

Hmmmm. What kind of wax is it *besides* paste? Carnauba? I wonder
if polish would work on refrigerators? I don't worry about my ss
sink, but that darned refrigerator attracts fingerprints like there's
no tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton

Sheldon wrote:
> Never use any abrasive cleaner on
> stainless steel.

I.e., never hire Sheldon to do it.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>Never use any abrasive cleaner on
>>stainless steel.

> I.e., never hire Sheldon to do it.
>
> --Blair

lol

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

sf wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2006 19:01:15 -0800, Jessica V. wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Do you use it after you polish it?
>> > --

>> Daily. I only polish the sink a couple times a year. The wax makes it
>> easier to keep clean and keeps female fingerprints from discoloring the
>> SS, damned estrogen.
>>
>> Jessica
>>

> Hmmmm. What kind of wax is it *besides* paste? Carnauba? I wonder
> if polish would work on refrigerators? I don't worry about my ss
> sink, but that darned refrigerator attracts fingerprints like there's
> no tomorrow.
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

I used to have a stainless steel fridge and my sister was renting part of my
house from me at the time. I'm not sure what she thought the handle was for on
the fridge, but obviusly it frightened and repulsed her as she was completely
unwilling to touch it and prefered to access the fridge using some ritual that
involved wiping her giant greasy hands all over it.

good god, I'm not anal about anything but that would make me apoplectic when I
saw it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

"SAM@74955" wrote:

> Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stu MacDonald

===
We use regular dishwashing soap and a sponge to clean the sink, and about
every two weeks we wipe it with baby oil (johnson & johnson type) with
the grain of the steel. We also use the baby oil on the fridge, oven and
microwave door.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
> "SAM@74955" wrote:
>
> > Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> > becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> > about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> > be much appreciated.

> We use regular dishwashing soap and a sponge to clean the sink, and about
> every two weeks we wipe it with baby oil (johnson & johnson type) with
> the grain of the steel. We also use the baby oil on the fridge, oven and
> microwave door.

Wow, your entire kitchen has diaper rash... I think zinc ointment is
better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Sheldon wrote:

> Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
> > "SAM@74955" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a product available to prevent a stainless steel sink from
> > > becoming stained and streaked. I seem to remember a post a while back
> > > about olive oil? Or was it mineral oil? Any ideas or suggestions will
> > > be much appreciated.

> > We use regular dishwashing soap and a sponge to clean the sink, and about
> > every two weeks we wipe it with baby oil (johnson & johnson type) with
> > the grain of the steel. We also use the baby oil on the fridge, oven and
> > microwave door.

> Wow, your entire kitchen has diaper rash... I think zinc ointment is
> better.

For the rash or the S/S?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

RoR wrote:
> >> Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
> >>

> Well, baby oil is mineral oil with a couple of additives, usually for fragrance.
>
> Remember, a very little will go a long way. You don't want too much oil or it will be too
> easy to leave fingerprints and oil marks everywhere.

Then why use it at all... what does it do other than fercockt up an
otherwise clean surface... I mean stainless steel is not a living thing
like a baby's tush, stainless steel doesn't benefit in any way
whatsoever from a moisturising lubricant... never yet seen stainless
steel with diaper rash... next thing you know one of yoose is gonna
breast feed your sink.

Sheldon Lipsync

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

RoR wrote:

> Well, baby oil is mineral oil with a couple of additives, usually for fragrance. I use
> mineral oil, clear, no odor, cheap, and I use it on my oil stones as well. I would use
> baby oil if I didn't have plain mineral oil.
>
> Remember, a very little will go a long way. You don't want too much oil or it will be too
> easy to leave fingerprints and oil marks everywhere.

I don't get it. If you've cleaned the sink (and other appliances) with
soap, why dirty it with oil? That'll just fight the soap action next
time you use it to wash a dish. What are you guys using the oil for?
What could harm stainless steel that the oil will protect it from? Or
do you just like the shine it gives? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
LewZephyr

On 14 Jan 2006 18:01:40 -0800, I needed a babel fish to understand
"aem" > :
>I don't get it. If you've cleaned the sink (and other appliances) with
>soap, why dirty it with oil? That'll just fight the soap action next
>time you use it to wash a dish. What are you guys using the oil for?
>What could harm stainless steel that the oil will protect it from? Or
>do you just like the shine it gives? -aem

I was thinking the exact same thing.... why on earth would you oil
your SS sink? much less any other SS surface.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:23:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LewZephyr?

> On 14 Jan 2006 18:01:40 -0800, I needed a babel fish to understand
> "aem" > :
>>I don't get it. If you've cleaned the sink (and other appliances) with
>>soap, why dirty it with oil? That'll just fight the soap action next
>>time you use it to wash a dish. What are you guys using the oil for?
>>What could harm stainless steel that the oil will protect it from? Or
>>do you just like the shine it gives? -aem

> I was thinking the exact same thing.... why on earth would you oil
> your SS sink? much less any other SS surface.

A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of mineral
oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was rubbed to a lustre
with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it prevented water spotting.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs signature.
Quite clever. I like them.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of mineral
>oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was rubbed to a lustre
>with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it prevented water spotting.

If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
heart to make sure I am dead.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:23:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LewZephyr?
>

>>On 14 Jan 2006 18:01:40 -0800, I needed a babel fish to understand
>>"aem" > :
>>
>>>I don't get it. If you've cleaned the sink (and other appliances) with
>>>soap, why dirty it with oil? That'll just fight the soap action next
>>>time you use it to wash a dish. What are you guys using the oil for?
>>>What could harm stainless steel that the oil will protect it from? Or
>>>do you just like the shine it gives? -aem

>>I was thinking the exact same thing.... why on earth would you oil
>>your SS sink? much less any other SS surface.

> A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of mineral
> oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was rubbed to a lustre
> with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it prevented water spotting.

I read that ages ago and only tried it once without really liking the
results. My preferred method is to wash the sinks then dry much the
same way I do my ss pots. It takes very little effort to dry the sinks.
I'm glad we didn't choose to go with ss appliances even though ss is
an accent in our kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:50:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________

> Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs signature.
> Quite clever. I like them.
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee, but I must admit that I "borrowed" it from a poster/friend on
another unrelated group. Now, if only I could figure out how to make them
bifocals. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:51:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
Elgar?

> On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>>mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>>rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it
>>prevented water spotting.

> If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
> sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
> heart to make sure I am dead.
>
> Boron

ROTFLMAO! This friend was a wife and mother of 5, and I know she cooked
virtually every meal at home, but her kitchen always looked as though no
one lived there. <g> I would never have that much energy. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of mineral
>>oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was rubbed to a lustre
>>with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it prevented water spotting.

> If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
> sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
> heart to make sure I am dead.
>
> Boron

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

"Stainless shows spots." So what??? Clean doesn't have to mean
spotless, literally.

People who need to polish the kitchen sink have WAY too much time on
their hands.

To paraphrase one of our luminaries, "You gonna polish, or cook?"

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:58:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:23:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> LewZephyr?
>>

>>>On 14 Jan 2006 18:01:40 -0800, I needed a babel fish to understand
>>>"aem" > :

>>>I was thinking the exact same thing.... why on earth would you oil
>>>your SS sink? much less any other SS surface.

>> A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>> mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>> rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it
>> prevented water spotting.
>>

> I read that ages ago and only tried it once without really liking the
> results. My preferred method is to wash the sinks then dry much the
> same way I do my ss pots. It takes very little effort to dry the sinks.
> I'm glad we didn't choose to go with ss appliances even though ss is
> an accent in our kitchen.

That's what I always did when I had a SS sink, Patches. Personally, except
for cookware, I wouldn't have SS in my kitchen if it were given to me.
It's nothing but a royal PITA. I have to admit that I'm more than a little
anal retentive when it comes to keeping the kitchen and it's appliances
looking spotless, but I sure wouldn't have the energy it would take to do
that with SS.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 02:15:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Puester?

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>>>mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>>>rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it
>>>prevented water spotting.

>> If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
>> sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
>> heart to make sure I am dead.
>>
>> Boron

> I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
>
> "Stainless shows spots." So what??? Clean doesn't have to mean
> spotless, literally.
>
> People who need to polish the kitchen sink have WAY too much time on
> their hands.
>
> To paraphrase one of our luminaries, "You gonna polish, or cook?"
>
> gloria p

LOL! I'd probably polish first. <g> (Assuming I had a SS sink)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:50:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________

>> Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs
>> signature.
>> Quite clever. I like them.
>> Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee, but I must admit that I "borrowed" it from a poster/friend on
> another unrelated group. Now, if only I could figure out how to make them
> bifocals. <g>
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Or in my case, for me, try-focals.
Yes, I love the lines, and yes, I have those focals ground horizontally
across as far as they will reach. No cosmetics needed!

I borrowed a signature 'saying' from a poster some years back and used it a
lot. Turned out he was a physican, but was still flattered that somone
would think enough of his made-up saying. I just now looked for it, but
it's gone to the wind.

Anyway, I like your signature glasses the best of all of the ones you've
used.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:51:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
> Elgar?
>

>>On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>><wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>>>mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>>>rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it
>>>prevented water spotting.

>>If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
>>sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
>>heart to make sure I am dead.
>>
>>Boron

> ROTFLMAO! This friend was a wife and mother of 5, and I know she cooked
> virtually every meal at home, but her kitchen always looked as though no
> one lived there. <g> I would never have that much energy. <g>

While I agree with Boron's sentiments, I raised kids and do a huge
amount of home processing - canning, drying, freezing, bulk cooking -
yet because I got into the habit of clean as you go, my kitchen always
looks more than presentable. It's weird, I can't function in a
disorderly kitchen so keeping order has been a high priority. Now my
desk, that is another story!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Puester wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On 19 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>>> mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>>> rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently,
>>> it prevented water spotting.

>> If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
>> sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
>> heart to make sure I am dead.
>>
>> Boron

> I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
>
> "Stainless shows spots." So what??? Clean doesn't have to mean
> spotless, literally.
>
> People who need to polish the kitchen sink have WAY too much time on
> their hands.
>
> To paraphrase one of our luminaries, "You gonna polish, or cook?"
>
> gloria p

Now come on, those sinks must be shiny clean all the time irregardless
of your other kitchen activities! This goal is a little more difficult
for those of us with garbage disposals in one sink *but* it can be done.
While the food is cooking, you polish That being said, I love ss
and am considering doing the countertops in ss to complement the
kitchen. The lighting fixtures and canning rack are ss so ss
countertops would look really nice. I'm just not sure how much work
they would be and we did pass up on ss appliances - if anyone missed we
have been replacing them with only the fridge left to replace - simply
because of the fingerprint problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

"LewZephyr" > wrote in message
> On 14 Jan 2006 18:01:40 -0800, I needed a babel fish to understand
> "aem" > :
> >I don't get it. If you've cleaned the sink (and other appliances) with
> >soap, why dirty it with oil? That'll just fight the soap action next
> >time you use it to wash a dish. What are you guys using the oil for?
> >What could harm stainless steel that the oil will protect it from? Or
> >do you just like the shine it gives? -aem

> I was thinking the exact same thing.... why on earth would you oil
> your SS sink? much less any other SS surface.

If you must use a polish, then some form of silicone-based oil-less polish
would work a lot better on stainless than does oil. Armor-all type
silicone, e.g.
(Test an inconspicuous corner and leave it for a day, in case the
silicone contains a strong salt as an ionizing agent - an agent which will
darken the stainless after a few hours.)

BTW - for restoring brushed stainless sink lustre, a fine grade of steel
wool LIGHTLY _STROKED_ (not rubbed !! ) with the "grain" of the original
brushed finish will remove most cross-scratches.
Then wipe the sink with a tack cloth and felt cloth to pick up the bits of
steel wool that stick in the stainless.

The "fineness grade" -0000, 000, 00 - to be used depends on the fineness
of the brushing originally done to the sink. Too fine a grade and/or
rubbing instead of drawing, and you will get a "flat spot" look at the
repair. Too coarse a grade, or too hard a pressure, and you will get a
"scratchy look".

Highly polished stainless surfaces-
Those highly polished finishes need to be patiently done with progressive
fine wet-sanding blocks rather than pads or hands, and patiently finished
with several progressive grades of polishing rouge. (Practice on a scrap of
stainless first). Did I mention -- be slow and patient on polished stainless
finishes?

fwiw..

> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is
> indistinguishable from magic."
> - Arthur C. Clarke

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> If the day ever comes that I make it a practice to polish my kitchen
>>> sink to a high luster, please shoot me. Then put a stake through my
>>> heart to make sure I am dead.
>>>
>>> Boron

>> I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
>>
>> "Stainless shows spots." So what??? Clean doesn't have to mean
>> spotless, literally.
>>
>> People who need to polish the kitchen sink have WAY too much time on
>> their hands.
>>
>> To paraphrase one of our luminaries, "You gonna polish, or cook?"
>>
>> gloria p

> Now come on, those sinks must be shiny clean all the time irregardless
> of your other kitchen activities! This goal is a little more
> difficult for those of us with garbage disposals in one sink *but* it
> can be done. While the food is cooking, you polish That being
> said, I love ss and am considering doing the countertops in ss to
> complement the kitchen. The lighting fixtures and canning rack are ss
> so ss countertops would look really nice. I'm just not sure how much
> work they would be and we did pass up on ss appliances - if anyone
> missed we have been replacing them with only the fridge left to
> replace - simply because of the fingerprint problems.

I won't have ss but I do have brushed ss. It is easy and looks good

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:58:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:23:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>>LewZephyr?

>>>A friend tole me years ago that she always rubbed a light coating of
>>>mineral oil on her kitchen sink after thoroughly cleaning. It was
>>>rubbed to a lustre with very little trace of oil left. Apparently, it
>>>prevented water spotting.
>>>

>>I read that ages ago and only tried it once without really liking the
>>results. My preferred method is to wash the sinks then dry much the
>>same way I do my ss pots. It takes very little effort to dry the sinks.
>> I'm glad we didn't choose to go with ss appliances even though ss is
>>an accent in our kitchen.
>>

> That's what I always did when I had a SS sink, Patches. Personally, except
> for cookware, I wouldn't have SS in my kitchen if it were given to me.
> It's nothing but a royal PITA. I have to admit that I'm more than a little
> anal retentive when it comes to keeping the kitchen and it's appliances
> looking spotless, but I sure wouldn't have the energy it would take to do
> that with SS.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I *love* the sparkle of the ss and even want to
do my countertops in ss. Our accents are ss - canning rack, light
fixture, etc. SS appliances really were too much as far as cleaning
even though they had a brushed finish to help hide the finger prints. I
use a ss cleaner a few times a year to remove any stains from the sinks
but I always wipe them down after each use. They are sanitized daily so
that is good enough! Being rather snobbish this way, I can spot a dirty
sink a mile away. I hate going into a nice clean kitchen then spotting
a dirty sink. To me that says you don't care and quite frankly I would
wonder about the food coming out of the kitchen. So, I'd say I'm rather
anal about the condition of my kitchen. I don't think there is anything
wrong with that either. Heck, what comes out of the kitchen goes into
your body. I'd rather be safe and be accused of being anal than find
out someone got sick because my kitchen wasn't clean enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 02:32:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:50:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>>> Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs
>>> signature. Quite clever. I like them.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Thanks, Dee, but I must admit that I "borrowed" it from a poster/friend
>> on another unrelated group. Now, if only I could figure out how to
>> make them bifocals. <g>
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> Or in my case, for me, try-focals.
> Yes, I love the lines, and yes, I have those focals ground horizontally
> across as far as they will reach. No cosmetics needed!
>
> I borrowed a signature 'saying' from a poster some years back and used
> it a lot. Turned out he was a physican, but was still flattered that
> somone would think enough of his made-up saying. I just now looked for
> it, but it's gone to the wind.
>
> Anyway, I like your signature glasses the best of all of the ones you've
> used.
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee. Sorry you lost that one.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 02:57:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:58:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> ~patches~?

>>>I read that ages ago and only tried it once without really liking the
>>>results. My preferred method is to wash the sinks then dry much the
>>>same way I do my ss pots. It takes very little effort to dry the
>>>sinks.
>>> I'm glad we didn't choose to go with ss appliances even though ss is
>>>an accent in our kitchen.
>>>

>> That's what I always did when I had a SS sink, Patches. Personally,
>> except for cookware, I wouldn't have SS in my kitchen if it were given
>> to me. It's nothing but a royal PITA. I have to admit that I'm more
>> than a little anal retentive when it comes to keeping the kitchen and
>> it's appliances looking spotless, but I sure wouldn't have the energy
>> it would take to do that with SS.
>>

> Oh, don't get me wrong. I *love* the sparkle of the ss and even want to
> do my countertops in ss. Our accents are ss - canning rack, light
> fixture, etc. SS appliances really were too much as far as cleaning
> even though they had a brushed finish to help hide the finger prints. I
> use a ss cleaner a few times a year to remove any stains from the sinks
> but I always wipe them down after each use. They are sanitized daily so
> that is good enough! Being rather snobbish this way, I can spot a dirty
> sink a mile away. I hate going into a nice clean kitchen then spotting
> a dirty sink. To me that says you don't care and quite frankly I would
> wonder about the food coming out of the kitchen. So, I'd say I'm rather
> anal about the condition of my kitchen. I don't think there is anything
> wrong with that either. Heck, what comes out of the kitchen goes into
> your body. I'd rather be safe and be accused of being anal than find
> out someone got sick because my kitchen wasn't clean enough.

Oh, I like the look, just not the work. Porcelain seems infinitely easier
to keep looking great.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:50:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?
>

>>>--
>>>Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________

>>Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs signature.
>>Quite clever. I like them.
>>Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee, but I must admit that I "borrowed" it from a poster/friend on
> another unrelated group. Now, if only I could figure out how to make them
> bifocals. <g>

I think it could be done if you lose the eyebrows. Use a "Cryillic
Small Letter Barred O" character. Or maybe a large barred O.

BÓ©b
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 19 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> LOL! I'd probably polish first. <g> (Assuming I had a SS sink)

A hint...Look under the dirty dishes to find out...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 03:09:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 19 Jan 2006 01:50:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>>>Wayne, I must complement/compliment you on your inventive specs
>>>signature. Quite clever. I like them.
>>>Dee Dee

>> Thanks, Dee, but I must admit that I "borrowed" it from a poster/friend
>> on another unrelated group. Now, if only I could figure out how to
>> make them bifocals. <g>
>>

> I think it could be done if you lose the eyebrows. Use a "Cryillic
> Small Letter Barred O" character. Or maybe a large barred O.
>
> BÓ©b

I'll have to play around with it. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 19 Jan 2006 03:11:32p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
Incognito?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 19 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> LOL! I'd probably polish first. <g> (Assuming I had a SS sink)
>>

> A hint...Look under the dirty dishes to find out...

I have a porcelain on cast iron sink.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬