Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

Default Msg from our own Damsel

"Could you post to the group that my
posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
(or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
now."

Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
thoughts please

Ophelia

--
www.qpat.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
> posting right now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please
>

> Ophelia

Nice vibes and thoughts and here's a tip... run A/V software and also a
firewall (I use Macafee) and Ad-Aware (freeware) and also Spyware Doctor
(minimul fee). Run scans on a regular basis. Keep up with what is going on
with your PC. I'm rather lax about backups but my 2006 resolution is to get
back on track with those.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Could you post to the group that my
>> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
>> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
>> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
>> posting right now."
>>
>> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
>> thoughts please
>>

>> Ophelia

> Nice vibes and thoughts and here's a tip... run A/V software and also
> firewall (I use Macafee) and Ad-Aware (freeware) and also Spyware
> Doctor
> (minimul fee). Run scans on a regular basis. Keep up with what is
> going on
> with your PC. I'm rather lax about backups but my 2006 resolution is
> to get
> back on track with those.

Yep! We run our computers from an old one used as a server and I also
run Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Could you post to the group that my
>> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
>> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
>> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
>> posting right now."
>>
>> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
>> thoughts please
>>

>> Ophelia

> Nice vibes and thoughts and here's a tip... run A/V software and also a
> firewall (I use Macafee) and Ad-Aware (freeware) and also Spyware Doctor
> (minimul fee). Run scans on a regular basis. Keep up with what is going
> on
> with your PC. I'm rather lax about backups but my 2006 resolution is to
> get
> back on track with those.

A good free A/V is Avast, I used to use AVG, but have found Avast even
better.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
> (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
> my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
> now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please
>

> Ophelia

Poor dear. :-(
Will indeed send good vibes her way!!!!!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 08 Jan 2006 02:30:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Could you post to the group that my
>> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
>> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
>> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
>> posting right now."
>>
>> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
>> thoughts please
>>

>> Ophelia

> Nice vibes and thoughts and here's a tip... run A/V software and also a
> firewall (I use Macafee) and Ad-Aware (freeware) and also Spyware Doctor
> (minimul fee). Run scans on a regular basis. Keep up with what is
> going on with your PC. I'm rather lax about backups but my 2006
> resolution is to get back on track with those.
>
> Jill

I think Spybot Search and Destroy is just as good and it's free.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 08 Jan 2006 01:51:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
> (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
> my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
> now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please

That's awful! I'm so sorry. Carol didn't need anything else added to her
plate to deal with.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Ophelia wrote:
> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
> (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
> my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
> now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please
>

> Ophelia

Oh, poor damsel!
Hope your computer gets better soon.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Could you post to the group that my
>>> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
>>> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
>>> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
>>> posting right now."
>>>
>>> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
>>> thoughts please
>>>

>>> Ophelia

>> Nice vibes and thoughts and here's a tip... run A/V software and also
>> firewall (I use Macafee) and Ad-Aware (freeware) and also Spyware
>> Doctor
>> (minimul fee). Run scans on a regular basis. Keep up with what is
>> going on
>> with your PC. I'm rather lax about backups but my 2006 resolution is
>> to get
>> back on track with those.

> Yep! We run our computers from an old one used as a server and I also
> run Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor

A message to Damsel & Crash... don't run a PC as a server unless you have
something commercially licencend to be accessed. By this I mean people
paying to access the server for a legitimately licenced product.

Don't give away movies, music, etc. You can be prosecuted for such
activities. A guy in Memphis a couple of months ago was hit with a lawsuit
for using his PC as a server to allow people to d/l music freebies to the
tune of several million dollars. It's not worth it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

jmcquown wrote:

> A message to Damsel & Crash... don't run a PC as a server unless you have
> something commercially licencend to be accessed. By this I mean people
> paying to access the server for a legitimately licenced product.
>
> Don't give away movies, music, etc. You can be prosecuted for such
> activities. A guy in Memphis a couple of months ago was hit with a lawsuit
> for using his PC as a server to allow people to d/l music freebies to the
> tune of several million dollars. It's not worth it.

Test message (crossing fingers).

No server here. I have no clue as to how to set something like that
up, and I don't have anything that anyone would want, anyway. I'm
curious as to how this relates to my computer being hacked.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Ophelia" > said:

> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
> (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
> my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
> now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please

Oh dear! Best wishes on a quick and easy repair, Carol...

Hugs - Jani :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:51:49 GMT, Ophelia wrote:

> "Could you post to the group that my
> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts today
> (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge hunks of
> my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of posting right
> now."
>
> Poor lamb she is very down about it. Do send her nice vibes and
> thoughts please

Also tell her about firewalls! ZoneAlarm is free.

Hugz to Damsel

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:47:59 GMT, Ophelia wrote:

> Yep! We run our computers from an old one used as a server and I also
> run Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor

You said "hacker". None of those will stop a hacker - you need a
firewall for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 8 Jan 2006 16:23:41 -0800, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> No server here. I have no clue as to how to set something like that
> up, and I don't have anything that anyone would want, anyway. I'm
> curious as to how this relates to my computer being hacked.

I'd like to know how it was hacked with a decent firewall up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> A message to Damsel & Crash... don't run a PC as a server unless you
>> have
>> something commercially licencend to be accessed. By this I mean
>> people
>> paying to access the server for a legitimately licenced product.
>>
>> Don't give away movies, music, etc. You can be prosecuted for such
>> activities. A guy in Memphis a couple of months ago was hit with a
>> lawsuit
>> for using his PC as a server to allow people to d/l music freebies to
>> the
>> tune of several million dollars. It's not worth it.

> Test message (crossing fingers).
>
> No server here. I have no clue as to how to set something like that
> up, and I don't have anything that anyone would want, anyway. I'm
> curious as to how this relates to my computer being hacked.

Hey welcome back The point of the server is that a hacker can't get
through it to your computer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:47:59 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Yep! We run our computers from an old one used as a server and I
>> also
>> run Ad-aware and Spyware Doctor
>>

> You said "hacker". None of those will stop a hacker - you need a
> firewall for that.

Yes we do indeed have a firewall

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > A message to Damsel & Crash... don't run a PC as a server unless you have
> > something commercially licencend to be accessed. By this I mean people
> > paying to access the server for a legitimately licenced product.
> >
> > Don't give away movies, music, etc. You can be prosecuted for such
> > activities. A guy in Memphis a couple of months ago was hit with a lawsuit
> > for using his PC as a server to allow people to d/l music freebies to the
> > tune of several million dollars. It's not worth it.

> Test message (crossing fingers).
>
> No server here. I have no clue as to how to set something like that
> up, and I don't have anything that anyone would want, anyway. I'm
> curious as to how this relates to my computer being hacked.
>
> Carol

Don't post your real e-mail here...

It's one of the many reasons I changed identities!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:29:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Don't post your real e-mail here...
>
>It's one of the many reasons I changed identities!
>--
>Om.

I have had my real email here for over 10 years. No problems yet.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:29:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Don't post your real e-mail here...
> >
> >It's one of the many reasons I changed identities!
> >--
> >Om.

> I have had my real email here for over 10 years. No problems yet.
>
> Christine

I get spam galore......

and 419 scams by the dozen whenever I post my real e-mail for contact
purposes. :-(

The 419 scam letters are on the upswing, and have gradually evolved too
into more and more clever schemes.

Now I'm getting people from China looking for "agents" to collect owed
funds. I've not followed up on those. It almost sounds like money
laundering!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:29:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Don't post your real e-mail here...
> >
> >It's one of the many reasons I changed identities!
> >--
> >Om.

> I have had my real email here for over 10 years. No problems yet.

Ditto!

I have McAfee virus and firewall. AOL has a great spam blocker and
spyware protection. But no matter hoiw many safeguards one throws up
it's all for naught if you're the type who for whatever idiotic reason
is so weak minded that you can't resist opening email attachments... I
don't care who sends me email with an attached Program, I say thanks
for taking the trouble but no thank you... and I NEVER open attached
Programs.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Could you post to the group that my
>> posts aren't being propagated by Google? I've made several posts
>> today (or yesterday - whatever), and non have shown up. I lost huge
>> hunks of my system to a hacker, so I don't have any other way of
>> posting right now."

There's a newsgroup that helps people with computer probs. You could try
that, some are extremely rude though, or there's lots of help on the web, if
you do a google search. The newsgroup is 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:39:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:29:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:
>
>>Don't post your real e-mail here...
>>
>>It's one of the many reasons I changed identities!
>>--
>>Om.

>I have had my real email here for over 10 years. No problems yet.

I've had my real email on Usenet since I've been on Usenet. No
problems yet here, either.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

I'd like to apologize to those who have e-mailed me recently, for not
getting back to you. With the South Beach diet, my blood sugars (which
were astronomical) are dropping almost to normal levels. The change in
sugar levels (up or down) messes with a person's eyes. I can barely
see to write this.

Don't fret none. This'll pass, as it did when I was first diagnosed.
It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I just didn't want anyone
to think I am ignoring them. I just can't see them. LOL!

If it's not one thing, it's another. <G>

See ya later! Bad pun, I know.

Carol

DAMSEL, is this you ?? family cook General Cooking 9 01-04-2007 05:47 PM
Thanks Damsel Koko General Cooking 4 21-08-2006 11:53 AM
Hey, Damsel modom General Cooking 0 07-01-2006 01:05 AM
Hey Damsel! I did it! Nancy Young General Cooking 3 06-01-2006 03:11 AM
Damsel? Laura General Cooking 12 17-12-2003 12:43 AM