Posted to rec.food.cooking
rox formerly rmg

Default Heavenly Winter Dinner

I guess this is the year of bacon because I've eaten it 3 out of 5 days so
far, and I usually never have it.

Tonight I had all the right ingredients for this salad which I found in my
mom's old Luchow's German Cookbook. It's also got her great old standbys for
Sauerbraten and Hasenpfeffer.

Hot German Potato Salad for 2

3 Slices thick bacon
2 shallots, sliced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup stock or water
1 egg yolk or 1 teaspoon egg replacer
salt
ground black pepper
fresh thyme
1.5 pounds steamed red or yukon gold potatoes

Wash taters and put them into a large pot with a steamer rack and about 4
inches of water. Cover, turrn up high, bring to a boil, and steam 15-20
minutes until easily-pierced with a fork.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a medium frying pan until golden and still soft.
Remove bacon from pan and chop.

Add the scallion to the pan with the bacon grease and saute until wilted.
Add the cider vinegar and water and bring to a simmer. Add the egg yolk or
egg replacer and whisk til thickened. Add thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
Add the bacon and mix in. Turn off the heat.

Remove potatoes from steam pot and cut into chunks.Add the chunks to the pan
with the bacon dressing and toss thoroughly. The potatoes may come apart a
little and become a little creamy. Serve garnished with a few sprigs of
fresh thyme.

This is so satisfying it's a fine one-dish meal for me :-D I had to restrain
myself from eating 1.5 pounds of taters tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 08:56:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
formerly rmg?

> I guess this is the year of bacon because I've eaten it 3 out of 5 days
> so far, and I usually never have it.
>
> Tonight I had all the right ingredients for this salad which I found in
> my mom's old Luchow's German Cookbook. It's also got her great old
> standbys for Sauerbraten and Hasenpfeffer.
>
> Hot German Potato Salad for 2
>
> 3 Slices thick bacon
> 2 shallots, sliced
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup stock or water
> 1 egg yolk or 1 teaspoon egg replacer
> salt
> ground black pepper
> fresh thyme
> 1.5 pounds steamed red or yukon gold potatoes
>
> Wash taters and put them into a large pot with a steamer rack and about
> 4 inches of water. Cover, turrn up high, bring to a boil, and steam
> 15-20 minutes until easily-pierced with a fork.
>
> Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a medium frying pan until golden and still
> soft. Remove bacon from pan and chop.
>
> Add the scallion to the pan with the bacon grease and saute until
> wilted. Add the cider vinegar and water and bring to a simmer. Add the
> egg yolk or egg replacer and whisk til thickened. Add thyme, salt, and
> pepper to taste. Add the bacon and mix in. Turn off the heat.
>
> Remove potatoes from steam pot and cut into chunks.Add the chunks to the
> pan with the bacon dressing and toss thoroughly. The potatoes may come
> apart a little and become a little creamy. Serve garnished with a few
> sprigs of fresh thyme.
>
> This is so satisfying it's a fine one-dish meal for me :-D I had to
> restrain myself from eating 1.5 pounds of taters tonight.

Good stuff! I loved Luchows. Was very sorry to see it close in the early
1980s, i think 1982. I never managed to buy their cookbook, though I
suppose I could probably find it somewhere used if I looked hard.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Posted to rec.food.cooking
rox formerly rmg

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Good stuff! I loved Luchows. Was very sorry to see it close in the early
> 1980s, i think 1982. I never managed to buy their cookbook, though I
> suppose I could probably find it somewhere used if I looked hard.

I'm so happy I kept it - I called my father tonight and told him I'd found
the sauerbraten recipe, so we will probably repraise it in the next few
months while it's cold outside. The recipes are simple, interesting, and
seem authentic.

One recipe calls for frying something in kidney fat. What's the story with
that?

Anyway the publisher is Doubleday & co. The one I have is from 1966 but it
had already had about a dozen reprintings then, so you could probably find
it.

cheers, Rox

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 09:55:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
formerly rmg?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> Good stuff! I loved Luchows. Was very sorry to see it close in the
>> early 1980s, i think 1982. I never managed to buy their cookbook,
>> though I suppose I could probably find it somewhere used if I looked
>> hard.

> I'm so happy I kept it - I called my father tonight and told him I'd
> found the sauerbraten recipe, so we will probably repraise it in the
> next few months while it's cold outside. The recipes are simple,
> interesting, and seem authentic.
>
> One recipe calls for frying something in kidney fat. What's the story
> with that?

Kidney fat, often sold in forms of leaf lard or suet, is considered the
highest quality of fat from the animal. It may come from beef, pork, lamb,
etc.

> Anyway the publisher is Doubleday & co. The one I have is from 1966 but
> it had already had about a dozen reprintings then, so you could probably
> find it.

Thanks. Now that I've been reminded of it, I will begin looking.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SallyW

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 09:55:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
> formerly rmg?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Good stuff! I loved Luchows. Was very sorry to see it close in the
>>> early 1980s, i think 1982. I never managed to buy their cookbook,
>>> though I suppose I could probably find it somewhere used if I looked
>>> hard.

>> I'm so happy I kept it - I called my father tonight and told him I'd
>> found the sauerbraten recipe, so we will probably repraise it in the
>> next few months while it's cold outside. The recipes are simple,
>> interesting, and seem authentic.
>>
>> One recipe calls for frying something in kidney fat. What's the story
>> with that?

> Kidney fat, often sold in forms of leaf lard or suet, is considered
> the highest quality of fat from the animal. It may come from beef,
> pork, lamb, etc.
>
>> Anyway the publisher is Doubleday & co. The one I have is from 1966
>> but it had already had about a dozen reprintings then, so you could
>> probably find it.

> Thanks. Now that I've been reminded of it, I will begin looking.

Wayne, check abebooks. They have access to several copies.

http://tinyurl.com/9kl3e

SallyW

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:45:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it SallyW?

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 09:55:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it rox
>> formerly rmg?

>>> I'm so happy I kept it - I called my father tonight and told him I'd
>>> found the sauerbraten recipe, so we will probably repraise it in the
>>> next few months while it's cold outside. The recipes are simple,
>>> interesting, and seem authentic.
>>>
>>> One recipe calls for frying something in kidney fat. What's the story
>>> with that?

>> Kidney fat, often sold in forms of leaf lard or suet, is considered
>> the highest quality of fat from the animal. It may come from beef,
>> pork, lamb, etc.
>>
>>> Anyway the publisher is Doubleday & co. The one I have is from 1966
>>> but it had already had about a dozen reprintings then, so you could
>>> probably find it.

>> Thanks. Now that I've been reminded of it, I will begin looking.
>>

> Wayne, check abebooks. They have access to several copies.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9kl3e
>
> SallyW

Thanks, Sally. After my last post I checked eBay and they have several
copies for auction, even one from the first printing. I think I'll try to
snare that one. It's also very inexpensive.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SallyW

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Thanks, Sally. After my last post I checked eBay and they have
> several copies for auction, even one from the first printing. I think
> I'll try to snare that one. It's also very inexpensive.

You're welcome! Good luck with the auction!

SallyW