General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Jill,

I can't resist telling you about this.

I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.

They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
shave a dark spot off one or two of them.

Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
with them.

Christine
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


Christine Dabney wrote:
> Jill,
>
> I can't resist telling you about this.
>
> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
> find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>
> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>
> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
> with them.
>
> Christine


What ever happened to e-mail?

Carol

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


Christine Dabney wrote:
> Jill,
>
> I can't resist telling you about this.
>
> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
> find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>
> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>
> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
> with them.
>
> Christine


What ever happened to e-mail?

Carol

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Jill,
>
> I can't resist telling you about this.
>
> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
> find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>
> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>
> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
> with them.
>
> Christine


Gawd! That's a hell of a deal! Last time I checked it was close to $2
here. Of course, this isn't California...

Please post about the other things you decide to do. Maybe as a sub for
mashed potatoes?

Jill


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:16:09 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Gawd! That's a hell of a deal! Last time I checked it was close to $2
>here. Of course, this isn't California...
>
>Please post about the other things you decide to do. Maybe as a sub for
>mashed potatoes?


Will do. If they had been in the best condition, I would have gotten
several more of them and sent them to you.

I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
for cauliflower,right?

Christine


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 20:00:56 -0800, "Damsel in dis Dress"
> > wrote:
>
> >What ever happened to e-mail?

>
> I think some people forgot which button it is.
>
> -sw


The mind is the first thing to go.

Carol, who only pings if she doesn't have the person's e-mail address

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 20:00:56 -0800, "Damsel in dis Dress"
> > wrote:
>
> >What ever happened to e-mail?

>
> I think some people forgot which button it is.
>
> -sw


The mind is the first thing to go.

Carol, who only pings if she doesn't have the person's e-mail address

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

On 2006-01-06, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
> with them.


If you like Indian cuisine:

http://www.recipedelights.com/recipe...GobiMasala.htm

nb
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> Jill,
>>
>> I can't resist telling you about this.
>>
>> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should
>> I find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>>
>> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
>> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>>
>> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to
>> do with them.
>>
>> Christine

>
> What ever happened to e-mail?
>
> Carol


Perhaps she intended it to be an email, however, it *is* on topic. I'm
always amazed at the price variations from point to point, both in the U.S.
and other countries for the same identical item. Cauliflower is always
expensive here even during the growing season.

Jill


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phyllis Stone
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
...

>
> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
> although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
> for cauliflower,right?
>
> Christine



I have always disliked cauliflower, the way it tasted, the way it looked,
but someone on this group mentioned roasting it. This stuff is great. Olive
Oil, garlic, thyme, it is good hot or cold in salads.




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>
>> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
>> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right
>> now, although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good
>> recipe for cauliflower,right?
>>
>> Christine

>
>
> I have always disliked cauliflower, the way it tasted, the way it
> looked, but someone on this group mentioned roasting it. This stuff
> is great. Olive Oil, garlic, thyme, it is good hot or cold in salads.


Cauliflower does look weird, sort of like brains It's in the cabbage
family, if I remember correctly, and also broccoli, which is why someone
came up with "broccoflower". I've never tried that; it's even more weird
looking than either of the aforementioned!

Roasted cauliflower is wonderful stuff Now if only the price would come
down in the mid-south.

Jill


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Christine Dabney wrote:
> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
> find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>
> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>
> Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
> with them.
>
> Christine


How about Cauliflower Soup? I tried this recipe from Austrian Cooking and
Baking by Gretel Baer; a book Margaret Suran sent to me a number of years
ago. Or search for any cauliflower soup recipe. Seems like an excellent
use for "not in top shape" cauliflower

Cauliflower Soup

1 medium sized cauliflower
1 egg yolk
1/8 pint milk
3 pints water or stock [I used chicken stock]
salt, pepper and nutmeg [to taste]
chopped parsley
2 oz. butter [1/4 cup]
2 oz. flour [1/4 cup]

Cook cauliflower in salted water being careful that it should not overcook.
Lift out carefully and separate into small sprigs [florets]. Keep back a
handful of sprigs. Pass the remainder through a sieve [puree]. Make a
white roux with butter and flour. Add to water in which caulifower has been
cooked, the cauliflower puree, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for a few
minutes [take soup off burner]. Whisk the egg yolk and milk. Add [a
little] hot soup gradually [then stir mixture into soup]. Return soup to
stove but do not boil. Add cauliflower sprigs, adjust seasoning and serve
sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Jill


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower


"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
> although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
> for cauliflower,right?


Me nancy? (smile) I know how to burn perfectly good
cream of cauliflower soup! Just leave the burner on for no
reason.

I like this though:


Tangy Mustard Cauliflower


1 medium head cauliflower
1/4 cup water

1/2 cup mayo
1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Place cauliflower and water in 1 1/2 quart glass casserole dish.
Microwave 8-9 minutes on high. Drain. Combine mayo, onion and
mustard in a small bowl. Spoon sauce over cauliflower. Sprinkle
with cheese. Microwave 1-2 minutes on medium high to head topping
and melt cheese. Let stand 1-2 minutes before serving.



  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
> although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
> for cauliflower,right?
>

If you're not afraid of deep fried foods: season flour with salt and
pepper, break cauliflower into flowerets, dredge in flour and drop into
a pot of hot (350 - 375F) oil, fry until light golden brown, drain
on paper, eat hot. This is one of those happy dishes that is a lot
better than you first think it will be. -aem

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:16:33 GMT, "Phyllis Stone" >
wrote:

>
>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .
>
>>
>> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
>> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
>> although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
>> for cauliflower,right?
>>
>> Christine

>
>
>I have always disliked cauliflower, the way it tasted, the way it looked,
>but someone on this group mentioned roasting it. This stuff is great. Olive
>Oil, garlic, thyme, it is good hot or cold in salads.
>

That would be me, among a few others. It turns cauliflower completely
around!

Christine


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:22:58 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>
>"Christine Dabney" > wrote

I think Nancy had a good recipe
>> for cauliflower,right?

>
>Me nancy? (smile) I know how to burn perfectly good
>cream of cauliflower soup! Just leave the burner on for no
>reason.
>
>I like this though:
>
>
>Tangy Mustard Cauliflower


Yep, that's it!!!!!
I think I will make this..will report back.

Christine
  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:14:10 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>How about Cauliflower Soup? I tried this recipe from Austrian Cooking and
>Baking by Gretel Baer; a book Margaret Suran sent to me a number of years
>ago. Or search for any cauliflower soup recipe. Seems like an excellent
>use for "not in top shape" cauliflower


That's a possiblity. Although I will be having a ton of soup brewing
these next few days, and I think I will want something else.

Got beans soaking for soupe au pistou now, and now getting a hankering
for Vietnamese hot and sour soup.

Christine
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:16:33 GMT, "Phyllis Stone" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>
>>> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
>>> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
>>> although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
>>> for cauliflower,right?
>>>
>>> Christine

>>
>> I have always disliked cauliflower, the way it tasted, the way it looked,
>> but someone on this group mentioned roasting it. This stuff is great. Olive
>> Oil, garlic, thyme, it is good hot or cold in salads.
>>

> That would be me, among a few others. It turns cauliflower completely
> around!
>
> Christine


I lean towards Taco seasoning on my roasted cauliflower. And think a
Sweet curry powder mix would also be good. Why? Because Indians seem to
use cauliflower in curries a lot and that many people can't be wrong.
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>> I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what
>>> should I find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.
>>>
>>> They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
>>> shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>
>> Gawd! That's a hell of a deal! Last time I checked it was close to
>> $2 here. Of course, this isn't California...
>>

>
> Just don't make a cauliflower, white cheddar, green pepper and
> mushroom casserole. GAWD, my mother made one over the holidays and
> it was horrible. I don't know what she did wrong with it but I could
> barely be polite and gag down a fork full of it.
>
> Michael


In all fairness, you've made it pretty clear your mom can't cook

Jill


  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

aem wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
>> cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right
>> now, although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good
>> recipe for cauliflower,right?
>>

> If you're not afraid of deep fried foods: season flour with salt and
> pepper, break cauliflower into flowerets, dredge in flour and drop
> into a pot of hot (350 - 375F) oil, fry until light golden brown,
> drain
> on paper, eat hot. This is one of those happy dishes that is a lot
> better than you first think it will be. -aem


Oh god! I'd forgotten all about deep fried cauliflower! Yes, it's
heavenly! I rarely deep fry anything but this goes on the must-do list for
2006!

Jill




  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ping Jill: Cauliflower

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>Jill,
>
>I can't resist telling you about this.
>
>I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
>find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.


Where in Berkeley, missy? Spill!

>They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
>shave a dark spot off one or two of them.
>
>Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
>with them.


Roasted cauliflower is da bomb, and couldn't be easier.

Preheat oven to 400 F (if you are doing something at 425 or 450, it won't
hurt)

Wash cauli and cut into pieces as even as possible (slicing large florets
makes for nice browned bits)

Put on a baking sheet with sides

Juice one lemon, pour over cauli, toss to mix

Drizzle small amount of olive oil over (no more than about 2 tablespoons),
toss to mix

Sprinkle some salt and pepper over, toss to mix

Arrange florets flat on sheet (single layer) and cook for 15-25 min, till
tender and starting to brown.

I usually eat the whole head. With a little parmesan it's dinner.

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
--
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ping: Jill Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 75 03-01-2015 08:22 PM
Ping: Jill sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 01-01-2015 09:01 PM
Jill, thanks for the cauliflower recipe pavane[_3_] General Cooking 34 06-12-2009 01:29 PM
Ping Jill: Thanks for Cauliflower Recipe Nan[_3_] General Cooking 0 05-12-2009 06:45 PM
Ping: Jill; REC Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 3 31-10-2005 11:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"