FoodBanter.com

-   -   Kiwi Pie? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/78353-kiwi-pie.html)

Dee Randall 06-01-2006 01:41 AM

Kiwi Pie?

Has anyone ever made a "Kiwi Pie"?
http://www.calharvest.com/fresh.html

Since I have a bunch of kiwi's and I see how good they are for you, I was
wondering how else I could use them and more often. Of course, the sugar
doesn't appeal to me - but I always use less than they say.

What about kiwi's made sort of like an apple sauce is made? Does anyone eat
kiwi's like that? Or something similar?

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright 06-01-2006 02:35 AM

Kiwi Pie?

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 06:41:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> Has anyone ever made a "Kiwi Pie"?
> http://www.calharvest.com/fresh.html
>
> Since I have a bunch of kiwi's and I see how good they are for you, I
> was wondering how else I could use them and more often. Of course, the
> sugar doesn't appeal to me - but I always use less than they say.
>
> What about kiwi's made sort of like an apple sauce is made? Does anyone
> eat kiwi's like that? Or something similar?

Some years ago a friend asked if I could make a kiwi pie for them. I ended
up making one as you would make a banana cream pie, replacing the sliced
bananas with sliced kiwis. It was delicious. I don't know why I never
made it again.

Of course, that sort of pie would likely be sweeter than what you're
thinking of.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-01-2006 02:44 AM

Kiwi Pie?

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> Has anyone ever made a "Kiwi Pie"?
> http://www.calharvest.com/fresh.html
>
> Since I have a bunch of kiwi's and I see how good they are for you, I was
> wondering how else I could use them and more often. Of course, the sugar
> doesn't appeal to me - but I always use less than they say.
>
> What about kiwi's made sort of like an apple sauce is made? Does anyone eat
> kiwi's like that? Or something similar?
>
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

My sister freezes them, then slices the top off and scoops out the
frozen fruit. It comes out like a sorbet. :-)
--
Om.

Dee Randall 06-01-2006 03:06 AM

Kiwi Pie?

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever made a "Kiwi Pie"?
>> http://www.calharvest.com/fresh.html
>>
>> Since I have a bunch of kiwi's and I see how good they are for you, I was
>> wondering how else I could use them and more often. Of course, the sugar
>> doesn't appeal to me - but I always use less than they say.
>>
>> What about kiwi's made sort of like an apple sauce is made? Does anyone
>> eat
>> kiwi's like that? Or something similar?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee
>>

> My sister freezes them, then slices the top off and scoops out the
> frozen fruit. It comes out like a sorbet. :-)
> --
> Om.

OK, that's great; I can taste it now. Also, that gives me the idea to use
them as the ice in the vita-mix with a banana or something else sweet, and
milk or yogurt for a smoothie.

I've seen pies, Wayne, with the slices of kiwi on top. Perhaps I might
start with a 'tart.' Isn't that just an itty-bitty pie? Thanks.
Dee Dee