Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terri Williams

Default Semolina bread

I visited a bakery in Norfolk (or Portsmouth) VA a few years ago and I
had the most amazing semolina bread. Anyone have a recipe? I like
"peasant" type breads, chewy and hearty.

Terri
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Terri Williams wrote:
> I visited a bakery in Norfolk (or Portsmouth) VA a few years ago and I
> had the most amazing semolina bread. Anyone have a recipe? I like
> "peasant" type breads, chewy and hearty.
>
> Terri

Don't really have a recipe for semolina bread but I often replace part
of bread flour with Semolina (usually in the sponge)...up to about half,
after that it puts too much load on my mixer.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>I visited a bakery in Norfolk (or Portsmouth) VA a few years ago and I
had the most amazing semolina bread. Anyone have a recipe? I like
"peasant" type breads, chewy and hearty.

I personally have never baked this bread but found this recipe online.
I enjoy baking in the Winter so I will more than likely give this one a
try. Kev

SEMOLINA BREAD

>From the kitchen of Barbara M. - Albuquerque, New Mexico

1 1/4 cups warm water
2 cups bread flour
1 cup semolina flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast

Dough stage - shape into 2 loaves. Place loaves on a greased baking
sheet. Place on a rack over very hot water in a pot; cover with a
towel. Let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in volume.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slash the tops of the loaves. Bake for
25 to 30 minutes until golden and hollow sounding when tapped. Cool on
racks for at least 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Terri Williams > wrote:

> I visited a bakery in Norfolk (or Portsmouth) VA a few years ago and I
> had the most amazing semolina bread. Anyone have a recipe? I like
> "peasant" type breads, chewy and hearty.

Not knowing exactly what you're going for, I can't tell you if this
is what you had, but I have a few recipes I use in my bread machine,
which you could do as a dough cycle, shape and let rise, then bake on a
stone. However, the semolina itself is pretty hearty and chewy in a
bread recipe. The first is the Pain de Mie recipe from Rustic European
Breads from Your Bread Machine, and I don't have it in front of me right
now, so I'll get it typed up later, or you can see if your library has
that book. The second is a sesame-semolina bread that we also really
enjoy.

1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups bread flour
1 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

I do this in the bread machine, but you could easily make it the
standard way by hand.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.