Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Staycalm

Default Urgent food inspiration ideas needed!

It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
seems a bit boring is all.

Liz

Posted to aus.family,rec.food.cooking
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Staycalm wrote:

> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

A cold seafood platter. Often here in Limey Land (and being from the
East End of London) seafood would do for such a bash. Mussels, cockles,
whelks, or some of your fabulous aussie sea food equivalents. Low fat,
savoury and ever so moreish.
Mmmmm

Doc

Posted to aus.family,rec.food.cooking
Staycalm

"Dr Hfuhruhurr" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Staycalm wrote:
>
>> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to
>> bring
>> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big
>> problem
>> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a
>> humongous
>> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence
>> of
>> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
>> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
>> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It
>> will
>> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
>> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It
>> just
>> seems a bit boring is all.
>>
>> Liz

> A cold seafood platter. Often here in Limey Land (and being from the
> East End of London) seafood would do for such a bash. Mussels, cockles,
> whelks, or some of your fabulous aussie sea food equivalents. Low fat,
> savoury and ever so moreish.
> Mmmmm
>
> Doc

Mmmmm. Very nice idea but I wouldn't waste seafood on my work
mates...........all for me........
<drool>

Liz :-)

Posted to aus.family,rec.food.cooking
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Staycalm wrote:

> "Dr Hfuhruhurr" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Staycalm wrote:
> >
> >> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to
> >> bring
> >> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big
> >> problem
> >> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a
> >> humongous
> >> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence
> >> of
> >> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> >> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> >> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It
> >> will
> >> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> >> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It
> >> just
> >> seems a bit boring is all.
> >>
> >> Liz

> > A cold seafood platter. Often here in Limey Land (and being from the
> > East End of London) seafood would do for such a bash. Mussels, cockles,
> > whelks, or some of your fabulous aussie sea food equivalents. Low fat,
> > savoury and ever so moreish.
> > Mmmmm
> >
> > Doc

> Mmmmm. Very nice idea but I wouldn't waste seafood on my work
> mates...........all for me........
> <drool>

LOL!
A little dressed crab? Or how about some deep fried butterfly King
Prawns with a nice sweet chilli dip. Ye gods I'm hungry now.

Doc

Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Chookie

In article > ,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.

Good quality fruit at this time of year is ALWAYS yummy -- anyone who is tired
of cherries can send them to me!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Staycalm wrote:
> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

Fruit platter with assorted yogurts and biscotti. Light and helps
digestion.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nathalie Chiva

" Exotic" fruit platter. Mangoes, papayas, guavas, starfruit,
pineapple, baby bananas...

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

Fruit and cheese tray. :-)

Sliced or chunked cheese, 3 varieties would be enough.
Whole grapes, canned chunk pineapple and canned mandarin oranges work
well, along with maybe some fresh berries and/or cherries.

Put a container of fruit dip in the middle.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Staycalm wrote:

> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

Here's a couple of recipes that are not too sweet and are easy to cook.
If you made the pineapple cake, do not frost it; just dust lightly
with powdered sugar and serve while still a little warm if possible.
(But if you tell folks it has no fat and no dairy, they won't eat it.
Don't ask me how I know) I never have figured out what's Swedish or
Mexican about the cake, but it's good anyway.

Also have an assortment of good-quality fresh fruit available.
Here in Minnesota, some people bring pickled herring to these sorts of
things. :-/

Swedish Pineapple cake (a.k.a. Mexican Wedding Cake)

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 eggs
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice

Grease a 13x9x2” baking dish. In large mixing bowl, combine all
ingredients and mix well by hand. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35
minutes at 350°F, or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes
out clean. Cool, then frost with cream cheese frosting. For Mexican
Wedding Cake, add 1 cup chopped pecans to cake batter, and 1/2 cup each
chopped pecans and flaked coconut to frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting: 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup
butter or margarine, 2 cups powdered sugar

* * *

Raisin Applesauce Snack Cake

1 C whole-wheat flour
1 C unbleached AP flour
1 C sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1/4 C canola oil
1 1/3 C unsweetened applesauce
1 C raisins

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking
spray and set aside.
Combine flours, sugar, spices, soda, and salt. In separate bowl,
combine the vanilla, egg, oil, and applesauce and mix well. Add the
applesauce mixture to the dry mixture all at once and beat at medium
speed to combine. Stir in the raisins. Pour the batter into prepared
pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of oven for 30 minutes, or
until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool
in the pan; cut into 1 x 1 1/2 inch bars. Makes 36.

* * *

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Pot Lucks (sorta) Urgent food inspiration ideas needed!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Staycalm" > wrote:
>
>> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday
>> to bring morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow.
>> The big problem is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our
>> boss with a humongous morning tea with heaps of food. With this
>> coming after the overindulgence of Christmas food, everyone is a
>> little over the usual sweet concoctions or cheese/dips.
>>

> Fruit and cheese tray. :-)
>
> Sliced or chunked cheese, 3 varieties would be enough.

(snippage)

Why am I reminded of the time years back - we were doing a pot-luck at the
office (definitely lunch time, not early AM.) I usually brought something
in a crock pot, teriyaki chicken thighs, chili, etc., so people could have
something warm for lunch. For some reason I didn't have time, or maybe it
was sort of a last-minute thing. That morning a couple of folks were going
to run to the store so I gave them money and asked them to buy two or three
nice cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with individually wrapped
processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and "American" and saltines. I
don't know why they let *her* pick out the cheeses; obviously her taste was
all in her mouth.

As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick up a
couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers. She said
she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the time, but she
would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or (heaven forbid!) brie
to save her life. Live and learn

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

jmcquown wrote:
> Why am I reminded of the time years back - we were doing a pot-luck at the
> office (definitely lunch time, not early AM.) I usually brought something
> in a crock pot, teriyaki chicken thighs, chili, etc., so people could have
> something warm for lunch. For some reason I didn't have time, or maybe it
> was sort of a last-minute thing. That morning a couple of folks were going
> to run to the store so I gave them money and asked them to buy two or three
> nice cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with individually wrapped
> processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and "American" and saltines. I
> don't know why they let *her* pick out the cheeses; obviously her taste was
> all in her mouth.
>
> As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick up a
> couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers. She said
> she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the time, but she
> would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or (heaven forbid!) brie
> to save her life. Live and learn
>
> Jill

Oh GOD.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to
> bring morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big
> problem is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a
> humongous morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the
> overindulgence of Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual
> sweet concoctions or cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for
> something I could take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am
> off my feet. It will probably need to be something I can buy and quickly
> put together sitting down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do
> anything else. It just seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

I say go with the fruit. I was at friend's house on Monday to play cards
and she had a fruit platter. The kids and I just loved it. We were so
starved for something that wasn't a sweet as you said. I think a colorful
platter of fruit would be most welcome.

Lynne

Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article > ,
> > "Staycalm" > wrote:
> >
> >> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday
> >> to bring morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow.
> >> The big problem is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our
> >> boss with a humongous morning tea with heaps of food. With this
> >> coming after the overindulgence of Christmas food, everyone is a
> >> little over the usual sweet concoctions or cheese/dips.
> >>

> > Fruit and cheese tray. :-)
> >
> > Sliced or chunked cheese, 3 varieties would be enough.

> (snippage)
>
> Why am I reminded of the time years back - we were doing a pot-luck at the
> office (definitely lunch time, not early AM.) I usually brought something
> in a crock pot, teriyaki chicken thighs, chili, etc., so people could have
> something warm for lunch. For some reason I didn't have time, or maybe it
> was sort of a last-minute thing. That morning a couple of folks were going
> to run to the store so I gave them money and asked them to buy two or three
> nice cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with individually wrapped
> processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and "American" and saltines. I
> don't know why they let *her* pick out the cheeses; obviously her taste was
> all in her mouth.

Oh gag! Just gag! <lol>

> As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick up a
> couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers. She said
> she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the time, but she
> would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or (heaven forbid!) brie
> to save her life. Live and learn
>
> Jill

Heh!
I took an extra little jar of Caviar to the party on New Years eve.
My host was grateful for the caviar coated cheese log as they had
forgotten to buy it.

He stashed the unopened jar rather than putting it on the table, and
changed the subject when I asked about it later. <G> I took the hint.

I later found out from his housemate that he has a real love of caviar
and intened to eat it by himself later...

with brie.

OH yeah!!!!!!! ;-d

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Jill wrote:

> Why am I reminded of the time years back - we were doing a pot-luck at the
> office (definitely lunch time, not early AM.) I usually brought something
> in a crock pot, teriyaki chicken thighs, chili, etc., so people could have
> something warm for lunch. For some reason I didn't have time, or maybe it
> was sort of a last-minute thing. That morning a couple of folks were
> going to run to the store so I gave them money and asked them to buy two
> or three nice cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with
> individually wrapped processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and
> "American" and saltines. Idon't know why they let *her* pick out the
> cheeses; obviously her taste was all in her mouth.
>
> As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick up a
> couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers. She said
> she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the time, but she
> would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or (heaven forbid!) brie
> to save her life. Live and learn

Heh...and the best part is when that girl announced, "The cheese and
crackers are from JILL!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:57:39 +1100, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
>morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
>is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
>morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
>Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
>cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
>take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
>probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
>down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
>seems a bit boring is all.

I recently saw a very cute breakfast or brunch idea -- mini muffins
and fruit on wooden skewers. Each skewer had two or three mini
muffins and a pretty assortment of fruit. It looked easy to make and
transport -- you could buy the mini muffins -- and fun to eat.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:57:39 +1100, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
>morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
>is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
>morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
>Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
>cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
>take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
>probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
>down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
>seems a bit boring is all.

You could bring a pretty trifle dish with layers of granola, yogurt,
and fruit/berries.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> I gave them money and asked them to buy two or three nice
>> cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with individually
>> wrapped processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and "American"
>> and saltines. Idon't know why they let *her* pick out the cheeses;
>> obviously her taste was all in her mouth.
>>
>> As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick
>> up a couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers.
>> She said she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the
>> time, but she would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or
>> (heaven forbid!) brie to save her life. Live and learn

> Heh...and the best part is when that girl announced, "The cheese and
> crackers are from JILL!"
>
> Bob

LOL She didn't but I felt like everyone knew it anyway. This is the same
woman I later learned thinks real beef tacos are the type that come from
Taco Hell. A few of us went to lunch at Salsa one time and she ordered the
beef tacos. They were made with shredded seasoned beef; she refused to eat
them. (sigh)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>>Jill wrote:
>>

>>>I gave them money and asked them to buy two or three nice
>>>cheeses and some crackers. This gal returned with individually
>>>wrapped processed "cheese food" slices, in "Swiss" and "American"
>>>and saltines. Idon't know why they let *her* pick out the cheeses;
>>>obviously her taste was all in her mouth.
>>>
>>>As she returned my considerable change, I asked why she didn't pick
>>>up a couple or three blocks of cheeses and at *least* Ritz crackers.
>>>She said she didn't want to waste my money. I didn't know it at the
>>>time, but she would never have eaten gouda, real swiss, fontina or
>>>(heaven forbid!) brie to save her life. Live and learn

>>Heh...and the best part is when that girl announced, "The cheese and
>>crackers are from JILL!"
>>
>>Bob

> LOL She didn't but I felt like everyone knew it anyway. This is the same
> woman I later learned thinks real beef tacos are the type that come from
> Taco Hell. A few of us went to lunch at Salsa one time and she ordered the
> beef tacos. They were made with shredded seasoned beef; she refused to eat
> them. (sigh)
>
> Jill

refused? why? that's ridiculous.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> Jill wrote:
>>>

>>> Heh...and the best part is when that girl announced, "The cheese and
>>> crackers are from JILL!"
>>>
>>> Bob

>> LOL She didn't but I felt like everyone knew it anyway. This is the
>> same woman I later learned thinks real beef tacos are the type that
>> come from Taco Hell. A few of us went to lunch at Salsa one time
>> and she ordered the beef tacos. They were made with shredded
>> seasoned beef; she refused to eat them. (sigh)
>>
>> Jill
>>

> refused? why? that's ridiculous.

I agree! She's an *extremely* picky eater. Here I thought I was bad
because I don't like raw vegetables. To her, shredded beef in tacos is just
gross! She prefers that finely ground, greasy mystery meat from Taco Bell.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

Default OT: Computer Question

I have some CGI questions. Can anyone help me?

Elaine, too

Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:57:39 +1100, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
>morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
>is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
>morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
>Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
>cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
>take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
>probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
>down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
>seems a bit boring is all.
>
>Liz

What about an antipasti platter ...
meats (such as salami)
cheeses
olives
pickled onions
marinated artichokes
crackers etc etc

You can buy in everything and just worry about presentation

Kathy in NZ
Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:45:41 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>I took an extra little jar of Caviar to the party on New Years eve.
>My host was grateful for the caviar coated cheese log as they had
>forgotten to buy it.
>
>He stashed the unopened jar rather than putting it on the table, and
>changed the subject when I asked about it later. <G> I took the hint.
>
>I later found out from his housemate that he has a real love of caviar
>and intened to eat it by himself later...
>
>with brie.
>
>OH yeah!!!!!!! ;-d
>

>Om.

You should have kept that jar. This week the UN banned all exports of
caviar, so once shops run out it could be off your menu for years,
until sturgeon stocks recover.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Staycalm

Default UPDATE Urgent food inspiration ideas needed!

Thanks all for some very yummy food ideas. I've saved some of them for other
occasions.
In the end I went with two salads I'd gotten off someone else in one of the
groups:
watermelon, fetta, mint, lime juice, black pepper
four bean salad, crushed pineapple, red onion, Paul Newman's dressing

Both fruity but not boring.

These were both very simple to throw together at work this morning and I had
lots of people raving about them, including my boss and her boss, who were
both there for a meeting. One staff member had three serves of the bean
salad!

I feel like I did well. Even one of the grumpiest staff told me "That's a
good idea. Well done!"

Liz

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nathalie Chiva

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:54:48 +1100, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>Thanks all for some very yummy food ideas. I've saved some of them for other
>occasions.
>In the end I went with two salads I'd gotten off someone else in one of the
>groups:
>watermelon, fetta, mint, lime juice, black pepper

Ah, I do that in Summer - surprising and delicious. Did you by any
chance get the recipe from me? Can't remember if I posted it or not.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to aus.family,aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> four bean salad, crushed pineapple, red onion, Paul Newman's dressing
>
> Liz

That sounds really interesting, Liz. Would you post the recipe, please?
(Be sure to include r.f.cooking in the distribution). Thank you.
-Barb
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Staycalm

Default REC: OZGIRL'S FAMOUS BEAN SALAD

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Staycalm" > wrote:
>
>> four bean salad, crushed pineapple, red onion, Paul Newman's dressing
>>
>> Liz

> That sounds really interesting, Liz. Would you post the recipe, please?
> (Be sure to include r.f.cooking in the distribution). Thank you.
> -Barb

This was actually someone else's amazingly simple recipe.

OZGIRL'S FAMOUS BEAN SALAD
I really love boring people with this

4 bean mix (as much as you need , drained and rinsed
(that's important, get that gluggy stuff off)
Add crushed unsweetened pineapple (drained and as much as
you like)
chopped onions, red onions are nice
Mix together, slurp some shaken Paul Newman's Classic
dressing over the mix and chill (preferably with a
Chardonnay)

Nice for barbies and salad buffets Or just straight from
the bowl in the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Staycalm" > wrote:
> >
> >> four bean salad, crushed pineapple, red onion, Paul Newman's dressing
> >>
> >> Liz

> > That sounds really interesting, Liz. Would you post the recipe, please?
> > (Be sure to include r.f.cooking in the distribution). Thank you.
> > -Barb

> This was actually someone else's amazingly simple recipe.
>
> OZGIRL'S FAMOUS BEAN SALAD
> I really love boring people with this
>
> 4 bean mix (as much as you need , drained and rinsed
> (that's important, get that gluggy stuff off)
> Add crushed unsweetened pineapple (drained and as much as
> you like)
> chopped onions, red onions are nice
> Mix together, slurp some shaken Paul Newman's Classic
> dressing over the mix and chill (preferably with a
> Chardonnay)
>
> Nice for barbies and salad buffets Or just straight from
> the bowl in the fridge.

What's "4 bean mix" with gluggy stuff? An already-prepared bean salad
with dressing? Thanks.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Staycalm

> What's "4 bean mix" with gluggy stuff? An already-prepared bean salad
> with dressing? Thanks.
> --

In Australia we can buys tins of mixed beans with no dressing but it is in
gluggy liquid that you need to rinse off. From memory: red kidney, lima,
possibly chick pea and borlotti? Someone else could probably tell you. I
don't have a can on hand at the moment.

Liz

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:03:59 -0600, Elaine Parrish wrote:

> I have some CGI questions. Can anyone help me?

Good Luck! http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/cgi/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:03:59 -0600, Elaine Parrish wrote:
>

> > I have some CGI questions. Can anyone help me?
> >

> Good Luck! http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/cgi/
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tofuqueen

Staycalm wrote:
> It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> seems a bit boring is all.
>
> Liz

How about a nice crusty bread to dip into olive oil and vinegar....some
cheese too perhaps? Fruit would also be a nice touch. And I"m
probalby too late. I just found this group tonight :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Staycalm" > wrote in
u:

>> What's "4 bean mix" with gluggy stuff? An already-prepared bean
>> salad with dressing? Thanks.
>> --

> In Australia we can buys tins of mixed beans with no dressing but it
> is in gluggy liquid that you need to rinse off. From memory: red
> kidney, lima, possibly chick pea and borlotti? Someone else could
> probably tell you. I don't have a can on hand at the moment.

Pretty sure they have kidney bins and chick peas, and a white bean -
maybe cannelini? Haven't bought them for years. There's also 3 bean and 5
bean mixes available. According to the Masterfoods site, their 5 bean mix
contains borlotti, cannellini, butter and kidney beans and chick peas.

That gluggy stuff is in all canned beans <g>. Just the liquid they're
canned in.

Might have to try your bean salad - though I'll never be able to get Rob
to eat it.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred

In article > ,
"Staycalm" > wrote in response to
Melba's query:
>> What's "4 bean mix" with gluggy stuff? An already-prepared bean salad
>> with dressing? Thanks.
>> --

>In Australia we can buys tins of mixed beans with no dressing but it is in
>gluggy liquid that you need to rinse off. From memory: red kidney, lima,
>possibly chick pea and borlotti? Someone else could probably tell you. I
>don't have a can on hand at the moment.

According to the label, Edgell's "Four Bean Mix" (125g can) contains:

<quoting>
Beans (60%) (red kidney (small red variety), baby lima, garbanzo,
great northern) ... [and, presumably, 40% gluggy gunk :-) ].
</quoting>

I confess to prior ignorance re that "great northern" but a quick
google revealed all and it's clearly familiar to Yanks. Apparently
they are rather like, but are not, lima beans:
<http://allrecipes.com/advice/ref/ency/terms/6778.asp>

I often use one of these small cans for a hot snack as part of a
"working lunch" -- I rinse out the glug under the hot water tap.
Edgell don't really make a decent size for this purpose. The 125g can
is too small, and the next size up (>400g ?)is really much too big.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"tofuqueen" > wrote:

> Staycalm wrote:
> > It is my workplace's tradition to have anyone who's got a birthday to bring
> > morning tea (cake usually) to share. It's my turn tomorrow. The big problem
> > is that today we celebrated the 60th birthday of our boss with a humongous
> > morning tea with heaps of food. With this coming after the overindulgence of
> > Christmas food, everyone is a little over the usual sweet concoctions or
> > cheese/dips. Can anyone come up with a suggestion for something I could
> > take? The catch is that I have a strained calf and am off my feet. It will
> > probably need to be something I can buy and quickly put together sitting
> > down. I was thinking fruit if I'm not inspired to do anything else. It just
> > seems a bit boring is all.
> >
> > Liz

> How about a nice crusty bread to dip into olive oil and vinegar....some
> cheese too perhaps? Fruit would also be a nice touch. And I"m
> probalby too late. I just found this group tonight :-)

It's a great group, and that was an awesome suggestion. ;-)
Too bad it could not include wine. <sigh>

Welcome!!!!!!!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article > ,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> > What's "4 bean mix" with gluggy stuff? An already-prepared bean salad
> > with dressing? Thanks.
> > --

> In Australia we can buys tins of mixed beans with no dressing but it is in
> gluggy liquid that you need to rinse off. From memory: red kidney, lima,
> possibly chick pea and borlotti? Someone else could probably tell you. I
> don't have a can on hand at the moment.
>
> Liz

OK, Liz. Thank you. I don't think I've seen them that way up here --
only a bean salad (canned/tinned) with the dressing already on. I
understand gluggy stuff, though -- kidney beans come in gluggy stuff.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!