Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Default Question: Silpat alternatives

Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

I'd like to get a couple, but for reasons not relevant to
this forum I do not wish to patronize De Marle.

Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?

Thanks for any info.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeneen Sommers

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Mark Shaw wrote:

> Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

...snip...

> Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?

Matfer also makes them - google for Matfer Exopat. In my experience,
they're good for sticky things like peanut brittle. I don't use
them for baking because they seem to inhibit browning, which can be
an important element in the flavor and texture of some foods
(cookies in particular).

Jeneen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:48:16 -0800, Jeneen Sommers
> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Mark Shaw wrote:
>
>> Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

> ...snip...
>
>> Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?

>Matfer also makes them - google for Matfer Exopat. In my experience,
>they're good for sticky things like peanut brittle. I don't use
>them for baking because they seem to inhibit browning, which can be
>an important element in the flavor and texture of some foods
>(cookies in particular).
>
>Jeneen

Howdy,

I will add that for certain things, Silpats are, in my
experience, far superior to parchment paper.

For example, I frequently bake leaf fougasses. These bake at
450 for about 30 minutes.

When I did 'em on parchment paper, it became so charred that
it fell apart when I attempted to slide them out of the
oven.

With the Silpats, the results are the same, but without the
mess.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PickyJaz

Mark Shaw wrote:
> Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?
> I'd like to get a couple, but for reasons not relevant to
> this forum I do not wish to patronize De Marle.
> Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?
> Thanks for any info. -- Mark Shaw

My often used "seconds" are far cheaper than the Silpat ws or is, and
you can find them he http://www.mdlinks.net/eshop/ItemId/B00005AXJ9

Picky (hopes the link works)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Jeneen Sommers > wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Mark Shaw wrote:

> > Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

> ...snip...

> > Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?

> Matfer also makes them - google for Matfer Exopat.

Hmm. Well, thanks, but...

Let's just cut to the chase: is there a source for this sort of
thing that does not involve a French company?

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> wrote:

>Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

Dupont makes teflon mats, which opens up a whole 'nother bag of worms

Having said that, I have both types. The teflon sheets are thinner
than the silicone which makes them helpful for lining roasting pans or
pans where you expect a sticky, difficult mess to clean up. You just
have to remember not to cut on them. I clean both types of mat in the
dishwasher.

I bought my teflon liners from kitchenkapers
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/teflon-...ng-liners.html

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Mark Shaw wrote:
> Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Mark Shaw wrote:

>>>Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

>> ...snip...

>>>Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?

>>Matfer also makes them - google for Matfer Exopat.

> Hmm. Well, thanks, but...
>
> Let's just cut to the chase: is there a source for this sort of
> thing that does not involve a French company?

oh that's right. the french are evil. whatever.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Shaw

Curly Sue > wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> > wrote:

> >Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

> Dupont makes teflon mats, which opens up a whole 'nother bag of worms

Thanks! Pretty much what I was looking for.

> Having said that, I have both types. The teflon sheets are thinner
> than the silicone which makes them helpful for lining roasting pans or
> pans where you expect a sticky, difficult mess to clean up. You just
> have to remember not to cut on them. I clean both types of mat in the
> dishwasher.

> I bought my teflon liners from kitchenkapers
> http://www.kitchenkapers.com/teflon-...ng-liners.html

Reasonably priced, too. How does teflon compare to silicone
in terms of non-stickiness?

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"PickyJaz" > wrote:

> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?
> > I'd like to get a couple, but for reasons not relevant to
> > this forum I do not wish to patronize De Marle.
> > Alternate question: are these REALLY better than parchment?
> > Thanks for any info. -- Mark Shaw

> My often used "seconds" are far cheaper than the Silpat ws or is, and
> you can find them he http://www.mdlinks.net/eshop/ItemId/B00005AXJ9
>
> Picky (hopes the link works)

It did. thanks.
I had a silpat sheet that I bought in Melbourne and never used. Believe
I gave it away or something. I was given a couple more and used them
for the first time a month ago when I was making Peanut Brittle Wazoo.
I'm really sorry I offloaded that first one. I'll be a user now.
-Barb
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

>It did. thanks.
>I had a silpat sheet that I bought in Melbourne and never used. Believe
>I gave it away or something. I was given a couple more and used them
>for the first time a month ago when I was making Peanut Brittle Wazoo.
>I'm really sorry I offloaded that first one. I'll be a user now.

The only Silpats I've seen don't seem to hold their shape in your
hands. Do they do a better job with batter/whatever in them?

Inquirinqly,
Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:16:12 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> wrote:

>Curly Sue > wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
>> > wrote:

>> >Is anyone besides Silpat marketing stick-free baking mats?

Oh, I went to a restaurant supply place today and found another brand
of silicone mat. See http://www.siliconezone.com

It's a US company but the products are made in China.

>> Dupont makes teflon mats, which opens up a whole 'nother bag of worms

>Thanks! Pretty much what I was looking for.
>
>> Having said that, I have both types. The teflon sheets are thinner
>> than the silicone which makes them helpful for lining roasting pans or
>> pans where you expect a sticky, difficult mess to clean up. You just
>> have to remember not to cut on them. I clean both types of mat in the
>> dishwasher.

>> I bought my teflon liners from kitchenkapers
>> http://www.kitchenkapers.com/teflon-...ng-liners.html

>Reasonably priced, too. How does teflon compare to silicone
>in terms of non-stickiness?

Identical. The teflon liners are thinner though and the edges curl
up, so I store them in the original flat cardboard folder. I am very
careful with them, as I mentioned, particularly not to use sharp
utensils on them. I have had them for years and they look it, but
they still work.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > rummaged among random neurons
> and opined:
>
> >It did. thanks.
> >I had a silpat sheet that I bought in Melbourne and never used. Believe
> >I gave it away or something. I was given a couple more and used them
> >for the first time a month ago when I was making Peanut Brittle Wazoo.
> >I'm really sorry I offloaded that first one. I'll be a user now.

> The only Silpats I've seen don't seem to hold their shape in your
> hands. Do they do a better job with batter/whatever in them?

Dunno. I poured some of the molten brittle onto the silpats and onto
other metal sheets. The difference I noticed is that on the metal there
is some stickage (I made that up) that makes pulling the cooling brittle
(to make it thin) dicey sometimes. No such problemo with the
silpat-covered sheets. I can't imagine baking a cake (or anything,
frankly) in the formed 'pans' I've seen. Too weird for me. Unless
someone gave me one they didn't want, I'll never know, either - very
unlikely that I'd buy one.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

Silpat Question Janet Wilder[_1_] Cooking Equipment 9 11-01-2008 03:31 PM
silpat vs. exopat Scott Baking 7 11-04-2005 04:15 AM
silpat vs. exopat Scott Baking 0 10-04-2005 02:18 AM
SHAPE2BAKE/SILPAT Ernie Sourdough 13 30-12-2003 05:00 PM
Silpat question chef General Cooking 13 21-12-2003 08:29 PM