FoodBanter.com

-   -   How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/77636-how-long-does-pizza.html)

[email protected] 28-12-2005 10:49 PM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

Hi again,

I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
off taste?

Cheers

Burnsy

Jimbo 28-12-2005 11:55 PM

wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
> might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
> it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
> flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
>
> Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
> off taste?
>
> Cheers
>
> Burnsy

Thats what I do and a rule of thumb I use is one week.

Paul M. Cook 29-12-2005 01:06 AM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again,
>
> I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
> might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
> it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
> flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

It will last about 5 days in the fridge. After that the yeast start to die
and the dough turns a grayish color. It can still be cooked and eaten but
it will have a sourdough flavor and it will not rise very much. Perfectly
edible just the same. You can also freeze dough. I keep a few 1 pound
balls of dough in the freezer. Double wrap them and they'll keep 6 months.

> Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
> off taste?

Sauce is good for about a week or two. You can also freeze the sauce.
Being acidic it keeps longer but it will grow mold after a couple weeks.

Paul

Karen MacInerney 29-12-2005 02:29 AM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

I usually freeze the dough. Fifty percent of the time I remember it,
and just do a quick 'auto-defrost' thing in the microwave. The other
fifty percent of the time, it hardens into a freezer-burned rock and
gets thrown out three (conservative estimate) years later. I freeze
sauce that way too -- only I'd say 70 percent of it never makes it to
the microwave.

These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
takes 45 minutes total.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Christine Dabney 29-12-2005 02:35 AM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

On 28 Dec 2005 17:29:28 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
> wrote:

>These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
>takes 45 minutes total.

These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
especially after the longer fermentation period.

Christine

Elaine Parrish 29-12-2005 06:03 AM

On 28 Dec 2005 wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
> might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
> it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
> flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
>
> Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
> off taste?
>
> Cheers
>
> Burnsy

I'm not real familiar with the specifics of pizza dough, but sauce freezes
beautifully. You can cook it, divide it into portions and freeze it in
what ever kind of container that you like best. I like the zipper bags.

Here, we can buy all sorts of frozen yeast bread doughs. Those I have
tried work fine. So, you should be able to freeze your dough. Whether you
should freeze it in a ball or log or all ready rolled out into a pizza
shape, I don't know.

Elaine, too

Dan Abel 29-12-2005 06:50 AM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

In article
Elaine Parrish > wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2005 wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
> > might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
> > it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
> > flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
> >
> > Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
> > off taste?

> I'm not real familiar with the specifics of pizza dough, but sauce freezes
> beautifully. You can cook it, divide it into portions and freeze it in
> what ever kind of container that you like best. I like the zipper bags.
>
> Here, we can buy all sorts of frozen yeast bread doughs. Those I have
> tried work fine.

We had pizza for my birthday. We used the frozen bread dough. I like
it quite well. Thaw in the microwave. Sauce is just an 8oz can of
tomato sauce. Spread however much you want, we use a spoon. Sprinkle
dried herbs on it to taste. Add toppings and cheese.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Bill 31-12-2005 05:43 PM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
>in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
>resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
>especially after the longer fermentation period.
>
>Christine

could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

Bill

Dee Randall 31-12-2005 08:34 PM

"Bill" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
>>in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
>>resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
>>especially after the longer fermentation period.
>>
>>Christine

> could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
>
> Bill

Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
Dee Dee

Cape Cod Bob 01-01-2006 06:39 AM

On 28 Dec 2005 13:49:52 -0800, wrote:

>Hi again,
>
>I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
>might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
>it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
>flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
>
>Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
>off taste?

Until it smells bad. Seriously
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email

Bill 01-01-2006 04:50 PM

How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:34:25 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>>>Christine

>> could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
>>
>> Bill

>Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
>recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
>liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
>Dee Dee

well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
this recipe?

Bill

Dee Randall 01-01-2006 05:02 PM

"Bill" > wrote in message

>>> could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
>>>
>>> Bill

>>Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
>>recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to
>>your
>>liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
>>Dee Dee

> well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
> recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
> this recipe?
>
> Bill

Yes, I have tried the recipe on p. 114 (NY style), but I prefer the one on
page 11 (New Haven style).
I don't copy recipes from books to ngs or on the internet because I feel
there is a copyright problem. That might not be true, but it is my opinion
and others on this ng have disagreed, and you may get the recipe from
someone who disagrees with me. I respect authors' rights to their work
product, even though these books are at the library and one can copy all
these wish from them for their personal use, but not for thousands on the
internet.
But sometimes you may locate a recipe that someone has done this by googling
for it.
Dee Dee