Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

Default easy espresso coffee?

I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
of instant mix? Just add hot water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Bill wrote:
> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
> for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
> wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> of instant mix? Just add hot water?

I've used this in a pinch
http://www.foodlocker.com/1-00002.html
works in recipes and such, i don't think i'd ever drink it though.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
> for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
> wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> of instant mix? Just add hot water?

I keep a small jar of instant regular coffee on hand and use it for things
like this. You just need concentrated coffee flavor. So, reconstitute at
the strength you'd want.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
> for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
> wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> of instant mix? Just add hot water?

I have on hand a small jar 2oz. of Ferrara (Since 1892) Instant Espresso
Coffee - I've not used it.
Directions: Stir one rounded teaspoon in a demitasse cup filled with boiling
water.
Previously I have used espresso in a regular drip coffee pot, making it very
strong.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mike.

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
> > for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
> > wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> > of instant mix? Just add hot water?

> I have on hand a small jar 2oz. of Ferrara (Since 1892) Instant Espresso
> Coffee - I've not used it.
> Directions: Stir one rounded teaspoon in a demitasse cup filled with boiling
> water.
> Previously I have used espresso in a regular drip coffee pot, making it very
> strong.
> Dee

I like the Cafe Bustelo Instant Espresso myself.....
http://store.cubanfoodguy.com/produc...products_id=61

Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"mike." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Bill" > wrote in message
>> > I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
>> > for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
>> > wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any
>> > type
>> > of instant mix? Just add hot water?

>> I have on hand a small jar 2oz. of Ferrara (Since 1892) Instant Espresso
>> Coffee - I've not used it.
>> Directions: Stir one rounded teaspoon in a demitasse cup filled with
>> boiling
>> water.
>> Previously I have used espresso in a regular drip coffee pot, making it
>> very
>> strong.
>> Dee

> I like the Cafe Bustelo Instant Espresso myself.....
> http://store.cubanfoodguy.com/produc...products_id=61
>
> Mike

Is that espresso? I didn't see the word "espresso" on their products on the
page you sited.

I have a jar of instant recommended at an Italian store for Tiramasu, which
is "Caffe Hag" Classico Tagliando d'Acquisto, but it is not espresso, the
reason I ask.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"Bill" > wrote in message

> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have
> found that many call for espresso coffee as an ingredient.
> Not being a coffee drinker I'm wondering what would
> be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> of instant mix? Just add hot water?

Nestle makes a decent instant espresso (make sure you get the *plain*
espresso, not one with added sugar and other stuff), although I'll admit
that I never saw it until I moved to DK -- but I wasn't looking for it in
San Diego, either, so things may not be so bleak. However, as others
have said up-thread, you're really just looking for concentrated coffee
flavor, so you're probably fine just making your regular coffee at double
strength.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

King's Crown wrote:

> I keep a small jar of instant regular coffee on hand and use it for things
> like this. You just need concentrated coffee flavor. So, reconstitute at
> the strength you'd want.

You may well be right for the purposes of a recipe like tiramisu, I
don't know. But just to be clear, espresso is more than just
concentrated coffee. It has to start with the beans being roasted to
the darkest espresso level. Most instant regular coffees are made from
regular roasts, although I've seen one from a French roast. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

"easy espresso" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist. But, the easiest
way to get some is to go down to a reputable cafe and order a double
espresso (or two) to go. A double shot (of espresso) is between 3-4
oz and usually costs less than $2.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..

> "easy espresso" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist.
> But, the easiest way to get some is to go down to
> a reputable cafe and order a double espresso (or
> two) to go. A double shot (of espresso) is between
> 3-4 oz and usually costs less than $2.

Would you actually do that if you were making tiramisu?
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 11:31:34p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jacqui{JB}?

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> "easy espresso" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist.
>> But, the easiest way to get some is to go down to
>> a reputable cafe and order a double espresso (or
>> two) to go. A double shot (of espresso) is between 3-4 oz and usually
>> costs less than $2.

> Would you actually do that if you were making tiramisu?
> -j

Tiramisu is not something I make often, and I never make espresso. So, yes, I
would actually do that. I would have the "real thing" at far less cost than
buying everything I would need to make it at home.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:31:34 +0100, jacqui{JB} wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> > "easy espresso" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist.
> > But, the easiest way to get some is to go down to
> > a reputable cafe and order a double espresso (or
> > two) to go. A double shot (of espresso) is between
> > 3-4 oz and usually costs less than $2.

> Would you actually do that if you were making tiramisu?
> -j

You can buy powdered expresso, just like powdered coffee and that's
what a lot of people use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-12-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I would have the "real thing" at far less cost than
> buying everything I would need to make it at home.

Wayne tells it true.

nb ...having spent big $$$ on espresso equipment
Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-12-27, sf > wrote:

> You can buy powdered expresso, just like powdered coffee and that's
> what a lot of people use.

Would you use powdered milk and powdered eggs? If one lives in Nose
Pick Wyoming where the local donut shop may not have an espresso machine,
maybe instant espresso can be justified. But, I bet you can get the
real deal within walking distace, sf. Why settle for less?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:01:12 -0600, notbob wrote:

> On 2005-12-27, sf > wrote:
>
> > You can buy powdered expresso, just like powdered coffee and that's
> > what a lot of people use.

> Would you use powdered milk and powdered eggs? If one lives in Nose
> Pick Wyoming where the local donut shop may not have an espresso machine,
> maybe instant espresso can be justified. But, I bet you can get the
> real deal within walking distace, sf.

Yes I can, but I don't make tiramisu. My SIL does. She doesn't drink
coffee, doesn't live within walking distance of fresh expresso and
isn't concerned about the fine difference between them in tiramisu.

> Why settle for less?

In this particular case... I don't think it matters one single whit.
THE BEST, far better than any other home, restaurant or bakery
tiramisu I've ever eaten is made using powdered expresso.

I don't have her recipe, but I think this may be it or at least is
close to it. Try it, you might like it. LOL

Bon Appetit's "Our Favorite Tiramisu"

Ingredients:
8 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder diluted in 1 1/4 cups hot water,
cooled
1 12-ounce prepared pound cake, cut into 3 1/2x1x1/2-inch strips

Directions:
Finely chop chocolate in processor. Set aside.

Mix sugar and egg yolks in processor 30 seconds. Add vanilla and
process until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Add cheese in batches and
blend until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.

Beat whipping cream until stiff. Fold into cream cheese mixture.
Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour. (Can be
prepared 2 days ahead.)

Pour espresso into large shallow dish. Dip cake strips in espresso,
turning to coat all sides lightly. Arrange strips on bottom of 10-cup
shallow dish, smoothing with fingers to mold together. Sprinkle with
half of chocolate. Top with chilled cheese mixture. Sprinkle
remaining chocolate over. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
(Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Serves 8.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:31:34 +0100, "jacqui{JB}"
> wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>
>> "easy espresso" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist.
>> But, the easiest way to get some is to go down to
>> a reputable cafe and order a double espresso (or
>> two) to go. A double shot (of espresso) is between
>> 3-4 oz and usually costs less than $2.

>Would you actually do that if you were making tiramisu?

I did it for my coffee toffee once. I couldn't tell the difference
between that and using very strong brewed coffee, so I went back to
using coffee.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

serene wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:31:34 +0100, "jacqui{JB}"
> > wrote:
>

>>Would you actually do that if you were making tiramisu?

> I did it for my coffee toffee once. I couldn't tell the difference
> between that and using very strong brewed coffee, so I went back to
> using coffee.
>
> serene

I second the observation. I can't tell the difference in
the many different pastry dishes I've made, so I just
use strong coffee now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Bill" > wrote in message
> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many call
> for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee drinker I'm
> wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is there any type
> of instant mix? Just add hot water?

No - just drop by a Starbucks or some such and get a shot or 2 of espresso -
then freeze 1 tablespoon in ice cube tray cavities then put in a baggie and
store in the freezer. You'll have some whenever you need.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Bill wrote:
> I've been looking up recipes for Tiramisu and have found that many
> call for espresso coffee as an ingredient. Not being a coffee
> drinker I'm wondering what would be an easy way to make espresso. Is
> there any type of instant mix? Just add hot water?

Run to Starbucks and buy a cup

Jill