Posted to rec.food.cooking
Randy

Default Christmas Cookies

Hi,

I am an Indian who recently moved to the states and am looking
for some recipes for American Christmas cookies. Can someone
please help?

--Freeda

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Freeda

Sorry - wrong account - use this one instead.

--Freeda

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Randy" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am an Indian who recently moved to the states and am looking
> for some recipes for American Christmas cookies. Can someone
> please help?
>
> --Freeda

Allrecipes.com has lots of selections for special holiday cookies.
Cut-out and decorated sugar cookies are common. A basic cookbook should
have a recipe; I've posted mine here within the last two weeks. Spiced
cookies are common at Christmas. Spritz cookies are very common.
Good luck. It's a good thing the 12 Days of Christmas do not end on
December 25; that's when they begin. You still have time.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Freeda" > wrote:

> Sorry - wrong account - use this one instead.
>
> --Freeda

You need to check back here for replies. Most people do not commonly
email responses. They post.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Allrecipes.com has lots of selections for special holiday cookies.
> Cut-out and decorated sugar cookies are common. A basic cookbook should
> have a recipe; I've posted mine here within the last two weeks. Spiced
> cookies are common at Christmas. Spritz cookies are very common.
> Good luck. It's a good thing the 12 Days of Christmas do not end on
> December 25; that's when they begin. You still have time.

I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As long
as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate,
jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But then, I've
never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we phrased the
question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or baked good
that's NOT appropriate for Christmas? If you made hamentaschen
(triangular shaped filled cookies traditionally made for Purim), and no
one knew they were hamentaschen, couldn't they be brought to a Christmas
celebration and wouldn't they fit right in?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As long
> as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate,
> jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But then, I've
> never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we phrased the
> question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or baked good
> that's NOT appropriate for Christmas?

There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
Christmas to me.

> If you made hamentaschen (triangular shaped filled cookies traditionally
> made for Purim), and no one knew they were hamentaschen, couldn't they be
> brought to a Christmas celebration and wouldn't they fit right in?

Sure, and rugelagh (sp), lots of cookies say Christmas to me. To me
a good rule of thumb is lots of butter and maybe nuts. Oh, and I like
those pecan tassies? I have a cookie cookbook that has a section for
Christmas cookies and the other half is everyday cookies. The Christmas
section is heavy on butter cookies.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 23 Dec 2005 07:55:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
>> I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As
>> long as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit,
>> chocolate, jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But
>> then, I've never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we
>> phrased the question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or
>> baked good that's NOT appropriate for Christmas?

> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> Christmas to me.

I agree with that, but it's the only cookie that David really likes and
asks for, so I always bake chocolate chip cookies for him on holidays.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Nancy Young wrote:

> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> Christmas to me.

That's because chocolate chip cookies aren't sufficiently special.
They're the first cookie every kid learns to make, and they're what
people who don't particularly like cooking or baking bring to potlucks
(when they can't get away with bringing the paper plates). Also, have
you noticed that they taste good (the recipe from the Nestles' bag) even
if you get something wrong? I've had them come out so flat and
shapeless that I had to break them apart to call them cookies-- but they
were edible and tasty.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
>> Christmas to me.

> That's because chocolate chip cookies aren't sufficiently special.
> They're the first cookie every kid learns to make, and they're what
> people who don't particularly like cooking or baking bring to potlucks
> (when they can't get away with bringing the paper plates). Also, have
> you noticed that they taste good (the recipe from the Nestles' bag) even
> if you get something wrong? I've had them come out so flat and
> shapeless that I had to break them apart to call them cookies-- but they
> were edible and tasty.
>

> --Lia

I made some as part of some cookie tins that I made as gifts. But what
should I know from Christmas cookies? I'm Jewish

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
> > I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As long
> > as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate,
> > jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But then, I've
> > never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we phrased the
> > question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or baked good
> > that's NOT appropriate for Christmas?

> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> Christmas to me.
>
> > If you made hamentaschen (triangular shaped filled cookies traditionally
> > made for Purim), and no one knew they were hamentaschen, couldn't they be
> > brought to a Christmas celebration and wouldn't they fit right in?

> Sure, and rugelagh (sp), lots of cookies say Christmas to me. To me
> a good rule of thumb is lots of butter and maybe nuts. Oh, and I like
> those pecan tassies? I have a cookie cookbook that has a section for
> Christmas cookies and the other half is everyday cookies. The Christmas
> section is heavy on butter cookies.
>
> nancy

In my mind, a Christmas cookie is one you don't make any other time of
the year, likely not because of the xpense of ingredients or degree of
difficulty. Holidays are often the times when folks on a budget pull
out the stops and do 'extra.' For some, it's any cookie if they don't
bake them year 'round; for others, it's the degree of difficulty or
putziness. Or, if the recipe makes a boatload and you've only got an
innertube's worth of eaters year 'round but a boatload during the
holiday season, that would be a factor, too. My favorite
cookie/pastry for Christmas are rozhky -- yeast in the dough that is
prepared like pie dough (cutting in fat), resting the dough, rolling,
cutting the shape (trapezoidal), filling, and baking. Filling must be
prepared -- apricot and pineapple and nut filling. Makes a boatload.
Mine are as good as mom's. Sister Julie's fill the need for The
Desperate.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> That's because chocolate chip cookies aren't sufficiently special.
> They're the first cookie every kid learns to make,

Snickerdoodles.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Fri 23 Dec 2005 07:55:42a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

>> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
>> Christmas to me.

> I agree with that, but it's the only cookie that David really likes and
> asks for, so I always bake chocolate chip cookies for him on holidays.

Oh, nothing wrong with that ... I never turn down a chocolate chip
cookie unless it has coconut in it, I hate that. Commercial brands do
that to annoy me; as you know, it's all about me. (smile)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> >> Christmas to me.

> > That's because chocolate chip cookies aren't sufficiently special.

> I made some as part of some cookie tins that I made as gifts. But what
> should I know from Christmas cookies? I'm Jewish

<cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
opinion.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>

>>Julia Altshuler wrote:

>>>That's because chocolate chip cookies aren't sufficiently special.

>>I made some as part of some cookie tins that I made as gifts. But what
>>should I know from Christmas cookies? I'm Jewish

> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
> opinion.

They don't bake unless it comes pre-mixed in a package. There are 7
different kinds of cookies- almond flavored butter cutouts, orange
flaopred butter cut-outs, vanilla cut-outs, chocolate chip, oatmeal
raisin, gingerbread thin rounds, and chewy gingerbread hearts with
candied ginger. I think two of them being 'common' is ok. It makes me
kind of sad that they are impressed by simple drop cookies, but whatever
I couldn't afford to make 'fancy' cookies this year, so I made those
that I had the ingredients for already (I did have to buy butter, vegan
margarine and extra bags of flour and sugar, though).

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:10:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
> opinion.

I feel the exact same way. Chocolate chip cookies are every day
cookies. Nothing special about them, to me. Crash's favorite
Christmas cookie? Chocolate chip.

But ya know what? We've gotten away from posting recipes. I'm gonna
go do that now.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>

>>I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As long
>>as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate,
>>jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But then, I've
>>never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we phrased the
>>question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or baked good
>>that's NOT appropriate for Christmas?

> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> Christmas to me.

I make at least one batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies at
Christmas. Our elderly neighbour loves them so they are a perfect gift.
One DS asks me to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as well and
other one wants peanut butter cookies. A plate of peanut butter cookies
can look feastive. I like making spritz and spicey cookies for the
Christmas cookie tray. To me though, they don't say Christmas any more
than any other cookie since I make all kinds of cookies throughout the
year. My mom always made date swirl cookies at Christmas. I should go
dig out her recipe and make a batch.

>>If you made hamentaschen (triangular shaped filled cookies traditionally
>>made for Purim), and no one knew they were hamentaschen, couldn't they be
>>brought to a Christmas celebration and wouldn't they fit right in?

> Sure, and rugelagh (sp), lots of cookies say Christmas to me. To me
> a good rule of thumb is lots of butter and maybe nuts. Oh, and I like
> those pecan tassies? I have a cookie cookbook that has a section for
> Christmas cookies and the other half is everyday cookies. The Christmas
> section is heavy on butter cookies.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, said:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:10:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> > <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
> > home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
> > butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
> > participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
> > a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
> > Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
> > recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
> > opinion.

> I feel the exact same way. Chocolate chip cookies are every day
> cookies. Nothing special about them, to me. Crash's favorite
> Christmas cookie? Chocolate chip.
>
> But ya know what? We've gotten away from posting recipes. I'm gonna
> go do that now.

I'll beat ya to it -- I think I got a lot of the notes here in RFC:

Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar gradually and mix well.
Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape into 2 rolls, 1
1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 4
hours. Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on greased cookie sheet or baking
parchment. Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes or until slightly browned on
edges. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Some nice ways to make shortbread:

* Knead some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough before
making a log and slicing.
* Roll log in coarse sugar before baking.
* Press a pecan or walnut half into the cookie before baking.

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:42:10 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> If you made hamentaschen
> (triangular shaped filled cookies traditionally made for Purim), and no
> one knew they were hamentaschen, couldn't they be brought to a Christmas
> celebration and wouldn't they fit right in?

My former aunt-in-law (RIP) used to make those for Christmas every
year. Part of her Jewish heritage, although her segment of the family
became Lutherans at some point. I've made the cookies, too, but
they're never as pretty as Marion's. I make mine with almond filling.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hamantaschen

Recipe By :Solo
Serving Size : 32 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies

2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks soft butter
2 eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1 can Solo filling
1 egg yolk -- beaten with ...
1 tablespoon milk -- for brushing

Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, orange peel, and salt in large bowl.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and milk
and mix until dough binds together. Knead dough in bowl 5 to 8 strokes
or until smooth. Divide dough in half and wrap each piece separately
in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 2 baking sheets and set aside.

Roll out 1 piece of dough on lightly floured surface 1/4-inch
thickness. Cut dough with floured 3-inch round plain cookie cutter.
Spoon 1 teaspoonful poppy filling onto center of each circle. Bring 3
edges of circle together into middle of circle to form triangle. Pinch
edges upward to make slight ridge, leaving small hole in center. Place
on prepared baking sheets about 11/2 inches apart and brush with
beaten egg yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets
and cool completely on wire racks.

Source:
"http://www.solofoods.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 23 Dec 2005 05:32:03 -0800, "Freeda" >
wrote:

> Sorry - wrong account - use this one instead.

Oh yeah. Shows me not to read from the bottom up.

Carry on,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:32:41 GMT,
(S'mee) wrote:

> Shortbread Cookies

Thanks! Good last-minute cookies that I can make for Crash. He loves
shortbread cookies, and I don't believe I've ever made them.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
> opinion.

Here's the way to organize cookie exchanges or dessert potlucks. On one
side of the page, put the following list: chocolate, nuts, lemon or
orange, raspberry or apricot jam, spice such as cinamon and ginger. On
the 2nd list, put: drop cookies, cut-outs, bars, crust with something on
top, pressed. Then you make sure everyone chooses a flavor idea from the
first list and a cookie type from the second (cross off each as it is
taken). For example, chocolate could be chocolate chip (drop), a rolled
cookie cut into rounds, congo bars, a shortbread crust with chocolate
chips on top, or a pressed cookie with cocoa. That way you get variety.
I use similar reasoning when putting together a tin of cookies for a gift.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

I realize this is months ahead of time, but does anyone have a
hamentaschen recipe that's dairy free and suitable for eating after
either a milk or meat meal? As I recall, my grandmother's recipe used
Mazola oil and eggs but no butter. The dough was made and refrigerated,
then rolled out on a little flour. (She did the rolling as the dough
was quite sticky and fersnickety.) My brother and I did the decorating
and filling. We didn't stick to the triangular shape but came up with
all sorts of creative variations. I never wrote down her recipe and
would love to have it now.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:09:30 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> I realize this is months ahead of time, but does anyone have a
> hamentaschen recipe that's dairy free and suitable for eating after
> either a milk or meat meal? As I recall, my grandmother's recipe used
> Mazola oil and eggs but no butter. The dough was made and refrigerated,
> then rolled out on a little flour. (She did the rolling as the dough
> was quite sticky and fersnickety.) My brother and I did the decorating
> and filling. We didn't stick to the triangular shape but came up with
> all sorts of creative variations. I never wrote down her recipe and
> would love to have it now.

Here's the first one I found, Julia. I hope it's similar to the one
you remember from your childhood:
http://www.jewish-holiday.com/homemade.html

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Here's the first one I found, Julia. I hope it's similar to the one
> you remember from your childhood:
> http://www.jewish-holiday.com/homemade.html

Thanks! To tell the truth, I'll never know if that's the recipe I
remember or not. I don't remember enough about it to know if that's
right or wrong, but I will give it a try.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:06:04 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > Here's the first one I found, Julia. I hope it's similar to the one
> > you remember from your childhood:
> > http://www.jewish-holiday.com/homemade.html

> Thanks! To tell the truth, I'll never know if that's the recipe I
> remember or not. I don't remember enough about it to know if that's
> right or wrong, but I will give it a try.

You'll know once you taste them. :-)

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote
>
> > I was going to say that any cookie could be a Christmas cookie. As long
> > as it is rich and special (butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate,
> > jam, somewhere in the recipe), it works for Christmas. But then, I've
> > never celebrated Christmas so what do I know. What if we phrased the
> > question the other way and asked if there's any cookie or baked good
> > that's NOT appropriate for Christmas?

> There's something about chocolate chip cookies that doesn't say
> Christmas to me.
>

> nancy

Last year, my BF's mother bought special Christmas chips. They tasted
just like chocolate chips, but had tons of food coloring added to make
them red and green, and they were shaped like stockings, santas,
wreaths, christmas trees, etc. They made cute cookies, but they tasted
just like regular old toll house, which doesn't say "CHRISTMAS" to me.
They were made by Nestle's. Don't know if they had them agani this
year, but for sure not at MY house!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:10:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>><cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
>>home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
>>butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
>>participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
>>a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
>>Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
>>recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
>>opinion.

> I feel the exact same way. Chocolate chip cookies are every day
> cookies. Nothing special about them, to me. Crash's favorite
> Christmas cookie? Chocolate chip.
>
> But ya know what? We've gotten away from posting recipes. I'm gonna
> go do that now.

Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help
answer this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but
Chocolate Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at
Christmas time. Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I
never knew that they are considered to be second class cookies, at
least at this time of year. (

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
> > home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
> > butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
> > participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
> > a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
> > Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
> > recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
> > opinion.

> Here's the way to organize cookie exchanges or dessert potlucks. On one
> side of the page, put the following list: chocolate, nuts, lemon or
> orange, raspberry or apricot jam, spice such as cinamon and ginger. On
> the 2nd list, put: drop cookies, cut-outs, bars, crust with something on
> top, pressed. Then you make sure everyone chooses a flavor idea from the
> first list and a cookie type from the second (cross off each as it is
> taken). For example, chocolate could be chocolate chip (drop), a rolled
> cookie cut into rounds, congo bars, a shortbread crust with chocolate
> chips on top, or a pressed cookie with cocoa. That way you get variety.
> I use similar reasoning when putting together a tin of cookies for a gift.
>

> --Lia

Nice plan. But if I had to sign up for anything, be it flavor or type,
I'd take a pass. Ixnay. If I've only got two dazzling holiday cookie
recipes, you'll get one of those--even if they fit a category someone
else 'claimed'. I do think, however, that people should take a sworn
oath that they won't bring CCC, Oatmeal, or PBC.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:05:33 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
>> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
>> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
>> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
>> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
>> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
>> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
>> opinion.

>Here's the way to organize cookie exchanges or dessert potlucks. On one
>side of the page, put the following list: chocolate, nuts, lemon or
>orange, raspberry or apricot jam, spice such as cinamon and ginger. On
>the 2nd list, put: drop cookies, cut-outs, bars, crust with something on
>top, pressed. Then you make sure everyone chooses a flavor idea from the
>first list and a cookie type from the second (cross off each as it is
>taken). For example, chocolate could be chocolate chip (drop), a rolled
>cookie cut into rounds, congo bars, a shortbread crust with chocolate
>chips on top, or a pressed cookie with cocoa. That way you get variety.
> I use similar reasoning when putting together a tin of cookies for a gift.
>

>--Lia

The main reason for the cookie exchanges or any other pot luck type of
get together is the "get together." It is a social occasion not
necessarily a culinary gathering.

If I did not make chocolate chip, peanut butter, and oatmeal scotchies
at Christmas, my kids would be very upset. I also make fruitcake,
mint chocolate chip and frosted fruit cookies. This year the kids
were here for Thanksgiving and on Friday we went to Mrs. Hanes' Cookie
Factory to watch the women cut out the cookies and to buy Moravian
Christmas Cookies.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help answer
> this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but Chocolate
> Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at Christmas
> time. Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I never knew
> that they are considered to be second class cookies, at least at this
> time of year. (

I'm not Carol, but I am counseling you to keep sending your chocolate
chip cookies. The only people who look down on them are those who
bake all the time, something which rarely happens these days. Young
people today are always on a diet and always short of time so home
baking gets shifted to the bottom of the list of duties, and often
gets canceled altogether. (Obviously I'm not talking about rfc people,
so don't y'all get your undies in a bunch.)

I am sure that your recipients adore your cookies. Keep on baking.

Happy Channukah.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

S'mee wrote:
> One time on Usenet, said:
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:10:48 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
>>> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
>>> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
>>> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazzup
>>> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
>>> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
>>> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
>>> opinion.

>> I feel the exact same way. Chocolate chip cookies are every day
>> cookies. Nothing special about them, to me. Crash's favorite
>> Christmas cookie? Chocolate chip.
>>
>> But ya know what? We've gotten away from posting recipes. I'm gonna
>> go do that now.

> I'll beat ya to it -- I think I got a lot of the notes here in RFC:
>
> Shortbread Cookies
>
> 1 cup butter, softened
> 3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 2 cups flour
>
> In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar gradually and mix well.
> Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape into 2 rolls, 1
> 1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 4
> hours. Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on greased cookie sheet or baking
> parchment. Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes or until slightly browned on
> edges. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
>
> Some nice ways to make shortbread:
>
> * Knead some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough before
> making a log and slicing.
> * Roll log in coarse sugar before baking.
> * Press a pecan or walnut half into the cookie before baking.

I put Chocolate chips in my Shortbreads....That way they meet all
expectations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Margaret Suran" > wrote

> Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help answer
> this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but Chocolate
> Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at Christmas time.
> Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I never knew that they
> are considered to be second class cookies, at least at this time of year.
> (

Geez, Margaret! You're killing me here. And how many people
are going to be mad at me because I said I don't consider them to be
Christmas cookies and now you won't send them.

They are wonderful and I bet you make the best ones ever.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> <cough> I quit going to neighborhood cookie exchanges after coming
>>> home from one with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and peanut
>>> butter cookies; and my contribution to the exchange (a dozen for each
>>> participant) had been highly decorated cut-outs. The ones that jazz up
>>> a cookie plate. I want CC, PB, and oatmeal, I'll make my own, thanks.
>>> Allow me to suggest that you deep six the CCs unless you know the
>>> recipient never turns the oven on. No offense intended. Just my humble
>>> opinion.

>> Here's the way to organize cookie exchanges or dessert potlucks. On one
>> side of the page, put the following list: chocolate, nuts, lemon or
>> orange, raspberry or apricot jam, spice such as cinamon and ginger. On
>> the 2nd list, put: drop cookies, cut-outs, bars, crust with something on
>> top, pressed. Then you make sure everyone chooses a flavor idea from the
>> first list and a cookie type from the second (cross off each as it is
>> taken). For example, chocolate could be chocolate chip (drop), a rolled
>> cookie cut into rounds, congo bars, a shortbread crust with chocolate
>> chips on top, or a pressed cookie with cocoa. That way you get variety.
>> I use similar reasoning when putting together a tin of cookies for a gift.
>>

>> --Lia

> Nice plan. But if I had to sign up for anything, be it flavor or type,
> I'd take a pass. Ixnay. If I've only got two dazzling holiday cookie
> recipes, you'll get one of those--even if they fit a category someone
> else 'claimed'. I do think, however, that people should take a sworn
> oath that they won't bring CCC, Oatmeal, or PBC.

I lean more towards the Holiday baking of bars and squares...A Favorite
is that Pecan Pie bar Wayne posted last year. The only change I made to
it was using brown sugar in the shortbread crust...It is a winner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:26:01 -0500, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help
> answer this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but
> Chocolate Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at
> Christmas time. Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I
> never knew that they are considered to be second class cookies, at
> least at this time of year. (

I'm speechless. Speechless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:26:01 -0500, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help
> answer this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but
> Chocolate Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at
> Christmas time. Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I
> never knew that they are considered to be second class cookies, at
> least at this time of year. (

I've hurt someone who makes Mother Theresa look like a bitch.

Please forgive me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Puester wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>> Carol, you are not supposed to eat cookies!!!! But you can help
>> answer this: What about people like me, who can bake little else but
>> Chocolate Chip cookies. I make them with love and send them out at
>> Christmas time. Or did, until now. I probably won't, any more. I
>> never knew that they are considered to be second class cookies, at
>> least at this time of year. (

> I'm not Carol, but I am counseling you to keep sending your chocolate
> chip cookies. The only people who look down on them are those who
> bake all the time, something which rarely happens these days. Young
> people today are always on a diet and always short of time so home
> baking gets shifted to the bottom of the list of duties, and often
> gets canceled altogether. (Obviously I'm not talking about rfc people,
> so don't y'all get your undies in a bunch.)

I agree, keep the chocolate chip cookies. Unlike some, I do a lot of
baking and chocolate chip are still a favourite. Besides, who can look
down on cookies of any kind and that is coming from someone who makes a
lot of cookies yet seldom eats them herself. Cookies are feel good
food. I'd rather make cookies at Christmas time that I know will be
enjoyed instead of fussing over cookies that look good - not to say my
cookies don't look good - as in the fancy icing and stuff.

> I am sure that your recipients adore your cookies. Keep on baking.

Oh yes, do keep on baking Margaret. As long as someone including
yourself enjoy your efforts, go for it

> Happy Channukah.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> S'mee wrote:
>
>>One time on Usenet, said:

>>>I feel the exact same way. Chocolate chip cookies are every day
>>>cookies. Nothing special about them, to me. Crash's favorite
>>>Christmas cookie? Chocolate chip.
>>>
>>>But ya know what? We've gotten away from posting recipes. I'm gonna
>>>go do that now.

>>I'll beat ya to it -- I think I got a lot of the notes here in RFC:
>>
>>Shortbread Cookies
>>
>>1 cup butter, softened
>>3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
>>1/4 tsp. salt
>>2 cups flour
>>
>>In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar gradually and mix well.
>>Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape into 2 rolls, 1
>>1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 4
>>hours. Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on greased cookie sheet or baking
>>parchment. Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes or until slightly browned on
>>edges. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
>>
>>Some nice ways to make shortbread:
>>
>>* Knead some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough before
>> making a log and slicing.
>>* Roll log in coarse sugar before baking.
>>* Press a pecan or walnut half into the cookie before baking.
>>

> I put Chocolate chips in my Shortbreads....That way they meet all
> expectations.

My shortbread recipe uses corn starch. It is one of my tried and true,
wouldn't change for anything recipes.