Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tom or Mary

Default Spring Roll Question

I bought some Spring Rolls that have a six inch diameter. They are hard. I
steamed them to soften them up so I could work them, and put the ingredients
in them. I used a metal steamer although I do have one of those wooden ones.
Once the rolls became soft they would stick to the metal. It turned out to
be a semi-disaster. Does anyone have any hints or techniques about how to
work with these rolls. I thought about placing them on wax paper as I
steamed them.

Thanks

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Tom or Mary" > wrote in message
>I bought some Spring Rolls that have a six inch diameter. They are hard. I
> steamed them to soften them up so I could work them, and put the
> ingredients
> in them. I used a metal steamer although I do have one of those wooden
> ones.
> Once the rolls became soft they would stick to the metal. It turned out to
> be a semi-disaster. Does anyone have any hints or techniques about how to
> work with these rolls. I thought about placing them on wax paper as I
> steamed them.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

In my experience you can also soften the wrappers by a brief soak in hot
water. Wax paper or parchment paper would solve the sticking problem, or
perhaps a spray of pam.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tom or Mary

I did that and it made a big difference.

Thanks

> Just slide them through some warm (150-165F) water for a few
> seconds then let sit a few more seconds. They'll soften up.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: I bought some Spring Rolls that have a six inch diameter. They are hard. I
: steamed them to soften them up so I could work them, and put the ingredients
: in them. I used a metal steamer although I do have one of those wooden ones.
: Once the rolls became soft they would stick to the metal. It turned out to
: be a semi-disaster. Does anyone have any hints or techniques about how to
: work with these rolls. I thought about placing them on wax paper as I
: steamed them.

: Thanks

: Tom

A "six inch diameter"??? Those aren't spring rolls, those are Yuletide
logs!!! Spring Rolls are only about an inch in diameter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

> wrote

> A "six inch diameter"??? Those aren't spring rolls, those are Yuletide
> logs!!! Spring Rolls are only about an inch in diameter.

I think he means that the wrappers are 6 inches square.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Eye Indo

There are "skins" for "Spring Roll" that are round.
FWIW, next time buy a different kind of skins.
Out of the freezer section, and stay away from the thick floury ones.

BTW, I was wondering also when I read 6" diameter.

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
>> A "six inch diameter"??? Those aren't spring rolls, those are Yuletide
>> logs!!! Spring Rolls are only about an inch in diameter.

> I think he means that the wrappers are 6 inches square.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Eye Indo

What kind of "Spring Rolls" are you trying to make ?
If you steam them, who told you to do that?
Two kinds of Spring rolls, fried or cold rolled.
The fried ones have a thin skin, made from some kind of flour.
Then there are the cold ones, filled with glass noodles and more stuff.
Those are rolled cold and not steamed, and the skins are made from rice
flour.
The skins are soft and pliable, and COLD.
HTH

"Tom or Mary" > wrote in message
>I bought some Spring Rolls that have a six inch diameter. They are hard. I
> steamed them to soften them up so I could work them, and put the
> ingredients
> in them. I used a metal steamer although I do have one of those wooden
> ones.
> Once the rolls became soft they would stick to the metal. It turned out to
> be a semi-disaster. Does anyone have any hints or techniques about how to
> work with these rolls. I thought about placing them on wax paper as I
> steamed them.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Eye Indo" > wrote

> There are "skins" for "Spring Roll" that are round.
> FWIW, next time buy a different kind of skins.
> Out of the freezer section, and stay away from the thick floury ones.
>
> BTW, I was wondering also when I read 6" diameter.

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I think he means that the wrappers are 6 inches square.

Oh, okay, I didn' t know that spring roll wrappers were round.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Eye Indo" > wrote
>
>> There are "skins" for "Spring Roll" that are round.
>> FWIW, next time buy a different kind of skins.
>> Out of the freezer section, and stay away from the thick floury ones.
>>
>> BTW, I was wondering also when I read 6" diameter.

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I think he means that the wrappers are 6 inches square.

> Oh, okay, I didn' t know that spring roll wrappers were round.
>
> nancy

I've never seen round spring roll wrappers so you aren't alone.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Oh, okay, I didn' t know that spring roll wrappers were round.

> I've never seen round spring roll wrappers so you aren't alone.

What went unsaid was that I've never even made spring rolls,
so I've never seen any! I have, however, made potstickers, which
leads me to a question:

When I order dim sum from a local chinese food place, what they
give you are essentially pork meatballs in a wrapper cup. Got
that? (smile) They come with a sauce; for pete's sake I could
easily use that much sauce on one dim sum ... and it's no way near
being enough for 6 of them!

I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty sure
it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?) so I
have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce thing?

Pretty much lost after soy sauce, duck sauce and that hot mustard.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Oh, okay, I didn' t know that spring roll wrappers were round.

>> I've never seen round spring roll wrappers so you aren't alone.

> What went unsaid was that I've never even made spring rolls,
> so I've never seen any! I have, however, made potstickers, which
> leads me to a question:
>
> When I order dim sum from a local chinese food place, what they
> give you are essentially pork meatballs in a wrapper cup. Got
> that? (smile) They come with a sauce; for pete's sake I could
> easily use that much sauce on one dim sum ... and it's no way near
> being enough for 6 of them!

Um... ask for extra sauce?

> I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty
> sure it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?) so
> I have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce thing?

Beats me... I eat mine sauceless except for a dunk in sesame/soy.

> Pretty much lost after soy sauce, duck sauce and that hot mustard.

I'll give you my duck sauce and the hot mustard, too. Here, have some extra
plum sauce, too

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Eye Indo wrote:
> What kind of "Spring Rolls" are you trying to make ?
> If you steam them, who told you to do that?
> Two kinds of Spring rolls, fried or cold rolled.
> The fried ones have a thin skin, made from some kind of flour.

That would be rice flour.

> Then there are the cold ones, filled with glass noodles and more
> stuff. Those are rolled cold and not steamed, and the skins are made
> from rice flour.

Fried spring rolls are often filled with glass noodles as well. No, they
aren't steamed. Dumplings are steamed.

> The skins are soft and pliable, and COLD.
> HTH
>

> "Tom or Mary" > wrote in message
>> I bought some Spring Rolls that have a six inch diameter. They are
>> hard. I steamed them to soften them up so I could work them, and put
>> the ingredients
>> in them. I used a metal steamer although I do have one of those
>> wooden ones.
>> Once the rolls became soft they would stick to the metal. It turned
>> out to be a semi-disaster. Does anyone have any hints or techniques
>> about how to work with these rolls. I thought about placing them on
>> wax paper as I steamed them.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> When I order dim sum from a local chinese food place, what they
>> give you are essentially pork meatballs in a wrapper cup. Got
>> that? (smile) They come with a sauce; for pete's sake I could
>> easily use that much sauce on one dim sum ... and it's no way near
>> being enough for 6 of them!
>>

> Um... ask for extra sauce?

You so *VASTLY* overrate the place where I get chinese food.
I'm lucky if I get the rice that goes with the pepper steak, don't
push it.

>> I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty
>> sure it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?) so
>> I have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce thing?
>>

> Beats me... I eat mine sauceless except for a dunk in sesame/soy.

Well, then, you're not much help, are you. Hmmmpf.

>> Pretty much lost after soy sauce, duck sauce and that hot mustard.
>>

> I'll give you my duck sauce and the hot mustard, too. Here, have some
> extra
> plum sauce, too

Do you even know if it is plum sauce?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> When I order dim sum from a local chinese food place, what they
>>> give you are essentially pork meatballs in a wrapper cup. Got
>>> that? (smile) They come with a sauce; for pete's sake I could
>>> easily use that much sauce on one dim sum ... and it's no way near
>>> being enough for 6 of them!
>>>

>> Um... ask for extra sauce?

> You so *VASTLY* overrate the place where I get chinese food.
> I'm lucky if I get the rice that goes with the pepper steak, don't
> push it.
>
>>> I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty
>>> sure it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?)
>>> so I have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce
>>> thing?
>>>

>> Beats me... I eat mine sauceless except for a dunk in sesame/soy.

> Well, then, you're not much help, are you. Hmmmpf.

Never said I'd be much help!

>>> Pretty much lost after soy sauce, duck sauce and that hot mustard.
>>>

>> I'll give you my duck sauce and the hot mustard, too. Here, have
>> some extra
>> plum sauce, too

> Do you even know if it is plum sauce?
>
> nancy

I don't speak Chinese... do you? I don't know if it's plum sauce. They
throw in these little packets of stuff and tiny covered souffle cups of a
red sauce in and say "Fank You" which, for all I know, could be "F*** You".
Then they send me on my merry way I do get plenty of rice with whatever
I order.

Jill <--remembering John Belushi, Samurai chef

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 07:15:35 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>>I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty sure
>>it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?) so I
>>have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce thing?

> There are two types of 'plum sauce, one is just sweet hoisin sauce
> (you'd be able to taste the mustiness of the black beans), and
> then there's the yellowish-oranges sweet sauce made from apricot
> or plum preserves, with sugar, vinegar, hot pepper flakes (the
> Americanized version).

Hmmm ... it's a dark thickish stuff. I guess thick in the way
ketchup is.

> I can't imagine any restaurant serving shumai (the dim sum you
> describe) with either sauce, as a soy/sesame/vinegar based sauce
> is more traditional.

Who here dumpster dives at restaurants, was that blacksalt?
to see what the restaurants use ... I am pretty sure I'd find
cases for wonton soups and buckets that beef/broccoli come
in from some chinese restaurant central.

I wouldn't count on what they would serve being what is
authentic/whatever.

> If it's the yellow stuff you seek, then there are recipes out
> there for it. If it's the brownish sauce, then just use hoisin.

Thank you for that information, I bet it's the hoisin. Appreciate
it.

>>Pretty much lost after soy sauce, duck sauce and that hot mustard.

> "Duck sauce" is another one with a double-meaning. An American
> and a traditional version. Which one depends on where you
> live/eat.

It's just the usual stuff that comes in the little plastic packets, the
ones you can't open for nothin. Yellowish stuff.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
P.Aitken

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 07:15:35 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>

>>I will ask them (heading that one off at the pass), but I'm pretty sure
>>it's plum sauce? I'd like to buy that (or do you make that?) so I
>>have it for potstickers. Am I right about the plum sauce thing?

> There are two types of 'plum sauce, one is just sweet hoisin sauce
> (you'd be able to taste the mustiness of the black beans), and
> then there's the yellowish-oranges sweet sauce made from apricot
> or plum preserves, with sugar, vinegar, hot pepper flakes (the
> Americanized version).

Hoisin sauce does not contain black beans.

Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
P.Aitken

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:33:22 GMT, "P.Aitken" > wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>There are two types of 'plum sauce, one is just sweet hoisin sauce
>>>(you'd be able to taste the mustiness of the black beans), and
>>>then there's the yellowish-oranges sweet sauce made from apricot
>>>or plum preserves, with sugar, vinegar, hot pepper flakes (the
>>>Americanized version).

>>Hoisin sauce does not contain black beans.

> Yes, it does. Fermented soybeans. AKA: Asian Black Beans.
>
> -sw

I see that you are correct. I did not know that there was such as thing
as black soy beans! They are one of my favorite ingredients.

Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EIEIO

My Wife is from China, and that would be "Sank You" NOT FANK YOU,
moron. In my world it's Merry Christmas and to all else- who cares!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:26:31 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:49:01 GMT, "P.Aitken" > wrote:
>
>>I see that you are correct. I did not know that there was such as thing
>>as black soy beans! They are one of my favorite ingredients.

>It's the fermenting that makes them black. Don't expect them to
>taste like edamame/edame. I use them in all sorts of Asian dishes
>(like today in a pork chow fun). They're dirt cheap, too, at
>about $1/lb which would be a 10-year supply for an occasional
>Asian cook. They only last me about 6 months.
>
>-sw

Then how come I have a jar of dried black soy beans that are black.
The seed companies show black soy beans as black.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...ry=351&item=99
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
P.Aitken

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:49:01 GMT, "P.Aitken" > wrote:
>

>>I see that you are correct. I did not know that there was such as thing
>>as black soy beans! They are one of my favorite ingredients.

> It's the fermenting that makes them black. Don't expect them to
> taste like edamame/edame. I use them in all sorts of Asian dishes
> (like today in a pork chow fun). They're dirt cheap, too, at
> about $1/lb which would be a 10-year supply for an occasional
> Asian cook. They only last me about 6 months.
>
> -sw

I found in my researches that there are naturally black soybeans. I
think it's these that are used in the fermented black beans.

Peter