Posted to rec.food.cooking
hammer

Default HELP with menu plan

simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
nothing original

little help please
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
hammer > wrote:

> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original
>

> little help please

Pasta salad with seafood made with those spiral 3 color pastas have
always worked well for me!

Devilled eggs nearly always go down well also.

For dessert? Bring an apple pie and some vanilla ice cream! ;-d

Does not have to be original to be good!

Peach cobbler or apple crisp are even easier.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:16 -0500, hammer > wrote:

> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original

If you make these (two recipes), you'll be happy you did!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : side dishes Thanksgiving
vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
still hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made
1 day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fruits pies-crusts

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds peeled apple slices

1. Combine first five (dry) ingredients.
2. Cover bottom of unbaked pie shell with 1/4 of mixture.
3. Stir remaining mixture into sour cream.
4. Slice apples 1/8-inch thick, and stir into sour cream mixture..
5. Place mixture into pie shell and cover with top pastry. Let rest 10
minutes.
6. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
7. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325°F, and bake about
45 minutes, or until apples are done.
8. IMPORTANT: Cool 3 to 4 hours on rack before cutting.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"Pat Zastera (Damsel's Mom)"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

hammer wrote:
> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original

Why do you think ham and potatoes deserves something original???

I think an apple pie, a can of redi-whip, and a case of schmidts would
be quite apropos.

Sheldon Elitist

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"hammer" > wrote in message
> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original
>

> little help please

Hmmm.

Ham - potentially salty
Scalloped potatoes creamy

I would go with Asparagus in a burnt butter sauce. A nice nutty flavor

Dessert - How about old fashioned baked apples you could stuff them with chopped
dried apricots or cheese.

Dimitri

E.G.

Little Creek Lodge
Bed and Breakfast Inn
Alto, New Mexico
Specialty Recipe
Cheesy Baked Apples

Ingredients
4 medium apples - peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
In a shallow dish, arrange apple slices. Sprinkle with water and lemon juice. In
a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle over apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Uncover, top with
shredded cheese, and bake 5 minutes more or until cheese melts. Great side dish!
Serves: 6.
You found this recipe on 1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook.
(www.virtualcities.com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

hammer wrote:

> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original
>

> little help please

I don't know of what help this will be to you but I'm planning a ham
dinner for Christmas Day and turkey for Boxing Day - the first year is
awhile that I've had to make 2 big meals back to back. Here's my ham
dinner menu - glazed ham studded with whole cloves, scalloped potatoes,
green beans, salad - either tossed or more likely coleslaw, squash or
sweet potato. I'll have port wine jelly, peach chutney, and applesauce
to serve with the ham along with a pickle tray of various homemade
pickles. Dessert will more than likely be apple pie but I saw a really
nice apple tart that would be equally good. I thought I had the menu
ready but changed a couple of things like the salad and dessert. IMO, I
would forgo the original unless you want to make a coleslaw with a
little twist or provide different types of pickles. Cauliflower pickles
or pickled onions go well with ham. Maybe you don't really need
something spectacular or original to be good? OTOH, you might be able
to wow them with your choice of wine but I can't really help you with
that one. We'll have a burgundy for those who want it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> hammer > wrote:
>

>>simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
>>scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
>>nothing original
>>

>>little help please

> Pasta salad with seafood made with those spiral 3 color pastas have
> always worked well for me!
>
> Devilled eggs nearly always go down well also.

Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me

> For dessert? Bring an apple pie and some vanilla ice cream! ;-d

And a caramel sauce for the ice cream. That goes really nice with apple
pie and isn't hard to do.

> Does not have to be original to be good!

Exactly! I'm sticking to tried and true for the big meals this year
since they are back to back. I want to know they will go over well with
no surprises

> Peach cobbler or apple crisp are even easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elisa

"hammer" > wrote in message
> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original
>

> little help please

Asparagus with olive oil and Lawry's seasoned salt on the grill or saucepan.

Pinot Noir.

You'll see how great this is!

Elisa

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:16 -0500, hammer wrote:

> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original

Are you up for roasting a medley of winter vegetables? I add winter
squash and no potatoes to it... but this recipe is a good beginning.

http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipes/veges-0002.shtml

Roasted Winter Vegetables with Balsamic Vinegar and Thyme
2 large beets, peeled
1 lb potatoes, peeled
3/4 lb carrots, peeled
1 lb turnips, peeled
1 lb leeks
3/8 lb rutabagas, peeled
5 tablespoons olive oil
2-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

Cut vegetables into 1/2-inch thick wedges & place into bowl. Add oil,
thyme & half the vinegar; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place vegetables on baking sheet. Roast
until tender, stir often, 1 hour.

Drizzle remaining vinegar over vegetables.

Why Taco Bell is turning its health menu into a muscle menu Travis McGee General Cooking 2 12-07-2014 02:48 PM
Plan Your Easter Menu Yet? Judy Haffner General Cooking 99 31-03-2013 08:56 AM
picnic plan Dimitri General Cooking 5 18-07-2009 08:10 PM
Time to Plan The Joneses Preserving 0 08-02-2007 11:52 PM
Vineyard harvest plan - how to plan and control supply from many small vineyards New start Winemaking 1 25-01-2005 12:14 AM