Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joshuall

Default Turkey Temps?

For a number of years I never had a problem getting a nice browned turkey
with moist meat out of the oven. Lately however (like the last 5 or 6 times)
it's been a nightmare and every bird I've cooked has come out like turkey
jerky ! And I just don't know what I'm doing wrong since I've of late been
following cooking directions to the T. For thanksgiving I even tried brining
the damn thing. Came out like saw dust.

So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that one can leave in
the bird and watch it? And why put it in the thigh, the breast looks fatter
to me. This last weekend I stuck the thermometer in the thigh and got a 180,
took the bird out, let it rest for about 10 -15 mins and carved. Deep breast
meat wasn't done ...grrrrrrrrrrrrr. + Dressing in bird was half done.

Any help greatly appreciated .

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Joshuall wrote:
> For a number of years I never had a problem getting a nice browned turkey
> with moist meat out of the oven. Lately however (like the last 5 or 6 times)
> it's been a nightmare and every bird I've cooked has come out like turkey
> jerky ! And I just don't know what I'm doing wrong since I've of late been
> following cooking directions to the T. For thanksgiving I even tried brining
> the damn thing. Came out like saw dust.
>
> So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that one can leave in
> the bird and watch it? And why put it in the thigh, the breast looks fatter
> to me. This last weekend I stuck the thermometer in the thigh and got a 180,
> took the bird out, let it rest for about 10 -15 mins and carved. Deep breast
> meat wasn't done ...grrrrrrrrrrrrr. + Dressing in bird was half done.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated .

Try using a covered roaster. The bird will cook faster, and you can
cook it until it's fully done (the joints will be loose and the juices
will run clear if you poke it) without drying out the breast.

I think it helps too if you cook it breast-down, but that might be my
imagination. The fat that cooks out of the back will help baste the
white meat.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:48:27 -0600, "Joshuall" >
wrote:

> For a number of years I never had a problem getting a nice browned turkey
> with moist meat out of the oven. Lately however (like the last 5 or 6 times)
> it's been a nightmare and every bird I've cooked has come out like turkey
> jerky ! And I just don't know what I'm doing wrong since I've of late been
> following cooking directions to the T. For thanksgiving I even tried brining
> the damn thing. Came out like saw dust.
>
> So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that one can leave in
> the bird and watch it? And why put it in the thigh, the breast looks fatter
> to me. This last weekend I stuck the thermometer in the thigh and got a 180,
> took the bird out, let it rest for about 10 -15 mins and carved. Deep breast
> meat wasn't done ...grrrrrrrrrrrrr. + Dressing in bird was half done.

I can only offer one tiny bit of advice. If you don't stuff the bird,
you won't have to cook it as long in order to get the stuffing cooked
thoroughly. Just cook the dressing in a casserole dish outside the
bird.

Good luck!
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook

"Joshuall" > wrote in message
> For a number of years I never had a problem getting a nice browned turkey
> with moist meat out of the oven. Lately however (like the last 5 or 6

times)
> it's been a nightmare and every bird I've cooked has come out like turkey
> jerky ! And I just don't know what I'm doing wrong since I've of late been
> following cooking directions to the T. For thanksgiving I even tried

brining
> the damn thing. Came out like saw dust.
>
> So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that one can leave in
> the bird and watch it? And why put it in the thigh, the breast looks

fatter
> to me. This last weekend I stuck the thermometer in the thigh and got a

180,
> took the bird out, let it rest for about 10 -15 mins and carved. Deep

breast
> meat wasn't done ...grrrrrrrrrrrrr. + Dressing in bird was half done.

Something is wrong with your thermometer. 180F is death valley dry. The
bird keeps cooking even when you take it out of the oven. 165 is a far
better target temperature. I will never stuff a turkey again. They take so
much longer to cook when stuffed the meat has no chance. Also, after last
Thanksgiving I will never not brine a turkey ever again. The results were
incredible.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"Joshuall" > wrote in message

> For a number of years I never had a problem getting
> a nice browned turkey with moist meat out of the oven.
> Lately however (like the last 5 or 6 times) it's been a
> nightmare and every bird I've cooked has come out like
> turkey jerky ! And I just don't know what I'm doing
> wrong since I've of late been following cooking directions
> to the T. For thanksgiving I even tried brining the damn
> thing. Came out like saw dust.
>
> So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that
> one can leave in the bird and watch it? And why put it
> in the thigh, the breast looks fatter to me. This last
> weekend I stuck the thermometer in the thigh and got
> a 180, took the bird out, let it rest for about 10 -15 mins
> and carved. Deep breast meat wasn't done ...grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
> + Dressing in bird was half done.

Sounds like your oven's running hot -- have you checked its temperature
recently?

Temperature of the bird is taken in the thigh rather than breast because the
dark meat is more dense and takes longer to cook than breast meat. I also
seem to recall that one's "supposed" to take the temperature of the
stuffing, too, to make sure it's properly heated through (although I have to
admit, I've never bothered ... but, then, I've not had the problem you
describe above).

Hope this helps.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User

Joshuall wrote:

> So my question is . . . is there a meat thermometer that one can
> leave in the bird and watch it?

The best sort of thermometer for that purpose is an electronic probe.
It has a digital display portion that remains outside, which you can
set to alert you when the desired temperature is reached.

> And why put it in the thigh, the breast looks fatter to me.

I don't, I put it in breast, following the Alton Brown method. After
the alarm goes at around 160F, check the thigh as well. After I
switched to a dark-colored roasting pan, I've never had any problem
with the thigh being done.

Stuffed birds are tougher to get right. My family has always cooked the
dressing separately, so I have no information on that.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joshuall

Thank you all !

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

How long does it take the fridge to go from room temp to turkey defrosting temps? maxine in ri General Cooking 14 17-11-2006 03:44 PM
Very hot temps here... Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 7 21-07-2006 04:47 PM
Storing temps versus serving temps SJP Wine 1 15-10-2004 01:56 PM
FRIDGE TEMPS General Cooking 13 14-08-2004 05:03 PM
TN: Wines while temps were around 0 (-17 C°) Dale Williams Wine 2 18-01-2004 08:26 PM