Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rick Mintz

Default Life of oil

Hello all.

A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.

I wondering...

(1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
drain & clean)
(2) the preferred type of oil to use?

Rick

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"Rick Mintz" > wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.
>
> I wondering...
>
> (1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
> drain & clean)
> (2) the preferred type of oil to use?
>
> Rick

You know I have to agree with the previous poster. I have kept a deep fryer
for about 18 years that belonged to my MIL. Just a couple months ago I
decided to fill it up and use it. Glug glug glug went the oil. I make real
fried chicken about 2 times a year and thought I'll deep fry it. It didn't
taste as good as doing it in a pan. I don't know what the difference is,
but it just didn't. Then I decided since I have it filled up and ready to
go I made Rosettes from my childhood. Another thing I'd been keeping around
for 18 years the Rosette irons. They weren't as yummy as I remembered.

Then I had this huge vat of oil I didn't know what to do with. I wasn't
going to use it any time soon. I didn't want to pour it down the drain. I
didn't have anything big enough to pour it into like an empty oil bottle it
still had good cooking oil in it. I finally just threw the whole thing away
thinking "who am I kidding I'm just not a deep fryer and never will be."

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jim

Rick,

The family and I deep fry a turkey once ore twice a year and then are
left with a couple of gallons of peanut oil after use. We just let it
cool and pour it back into the gallon containers it came in. Put it in
the fruit celler and use it later. I have oil that was used last summer
and would have no problem with using a portion of it today, only
problem is Im not that found of the taste of peanut oil. I would use
solid shortning as it will harden after each use. If your deep fryer
has a lid, put it on, otherwise take one or two of the plastic grocery
bags and wrap and tie around the entire unit(after it cools of course
and the shortning has hardened). The shorting will be solid so you wont
have to worry about spillage.

GL

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rick Mintz wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.
>
> I wondering...
>
> (1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
> drain & clean)
> (2) the preferred type of oil to use?
>
> Rick

your friend wants you to get fat

IIUC the most stable oil against oxidation is olive oil. Unfortunately
its also the most expensive. Oxidised oil is harmful to health.

NT

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Rick Mintz wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.
>>
>> I wondering...
>>
>> (1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
>> drain & clean)
>> (2) the preferred type of oil to use?
>>
>> Rick

> your friend wants you to get fat
>
> IIUC the most stable oil against oxidation is olive oil. Unfortunately
> its also the most expensive. Oxidised oil is harmful to health.
>

> NT

If you want good results you have to strain your oil and store it air-tight,
then discard after 2-3 uses. THere's just no getting around this. Some
people keep their oil in their fryer for months, using it time after time,
and the food they fry shows it - smelly and unappealing.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

Depends on the oil - sometimes dull sometimes really rather exciting.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Rick Mintz wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.
>
> I wondering...
>
> (1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
> drain & clean)
> (2) the preferred type of oil to use?
>
> Rick

You have my sympathies. I have one of those that is about the size of a
bread machine and wasn't very expensive, so it doesn't have a lot of bells
and whistles. It is a pain to empty and to clean. boo, hiss.

"Used oil" (all-ready-been-fried-in) doesn't keep well at all in the
fryer. It should be cleaned out after every use, if you are not using it
for several days in a row or several times a week.

"Clean oil" will keep a long time if the container is closed and has a
good seal.

The premium oil choice is peanut. But any vegetable oil will do. Soybean
is one of the most common. Olive oil will impart a "flavor" to foods
(besides it is *way* too expensive for deep frying - in the US, anyway).

You, also, can use shortening (solid oil), but it will set back up at room
temp.

Elaine, too