FoodBanter.com

-   -   I froze the eggs (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/76822-i-froze-eggs.html)

marytews33@hot$$$mail.com 18-12-2005 05:34 AM

I froze the eggs

I just realized that I left a dozen eggs on the back porch. I often
put food in there during the winter that needs to be frozen because my
freezer is very small. I put some meat out there a couple days ago,
but forgot there was a dozen eggs in the box. I just went to look for
these eggs and realized they never got into the fridge.

I did not try to open any of these eggs, but I know they are frozen
because its' zero degrees outside and my cheese is frozen too. (closed
in porch is not insulated).

My question, are these eggs still usable? Can I just hardboil all of
them so they dont go to waste. If YES, can I just boil them while
still frozen?

Or can I just unthaw them and use as normal?

Thanks

Mary

OmManiPadmeOmelet 18-12-2005 06:26 AM

I froze the eggs

In article >,
wrote:

> I just realized that I left a dozen eggs on the back porch. I often
> put food in there during the winter that needs to be frozen because my
> freezer is very small. I put some meat out there a couple days ago,
> but forgot there was a dozen eggs in the box. I just went to look for
> these eggs and realized they never got into the fridge.
>
> I did not try to open any of these eggs, but I know they are frozen
> because its' zero degrees outside and my cheese is frozen too. (closed
> in porch is not insulated).
>
> My question, are these eggs still usable? Can I just hardboil all of
> them so they dont go to waste. If YES, can I just boil them while
> still frozen?
>
> Or can I just unthaw them and use as normal?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mary

You can thaw them and use as normal unless they cracked.
Sometimes freezing eggs cracks them.

If they ARE cracked, use immediately.

They are ok for scrambled or omelets.

Cheers!
--
Om.

aem 18-12-2005 07:44 AM

I froze the eggs

wrote:
> [snip]
> My question, are these eggs still usable?

Yes, definitely. The yolks may not stay intact after freezing and
thawing, though.

> Can I just hardboil all of them so they dont go to waste.

You can, but you can also make omelets, scrambled eggs, or use them in
other recipes.

> If YES, can I just boil them while still frozen?

Don't know about that. Why would you want to? Just stick 'em in the
fridge.

> Or can I just unthaw them and use as normal?

Pretty much, except for the yolk thing. -aem

marytews33@hot$$$mail.com 18-12-2005 12:14 PM

I froze the eggs

On 17 Dec 2005 22:44:46 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

wrote:
>> [snip]
>> My question, are these eggs still usable?

>Yes, definitely. The yolks may not stay intact after freezing and
>thawing, though.
>
>> Can I just hardboil all of them so they dont go to waste.

>You can, but you can also make omelets, scrambled eggs, or use them in
>other recipes.
>
>> If YES, can I just boil them while still frozen?

>Don't know about that. Why would you want to? Just stick 'em in the
>fridge.
>>
>> Or can I just unthaw them and use as normal?

>Pretty much, except for the yolk thing. -aem

Thanks for all that replied. I'll just stick them in the fridge.
They have been out on the counter for about 5 hours now so I think
they should be thawed. I sort of thought boiling them would be the
only way to save them, but I see I was wrong. Never froze eggs
before. I also froze some lettuce. I think thats history. The other
day the temps were mid 20's. This sudden drop caught me off guard.
I hate winter !!!!

Mary

Kent 18-12-2005 07:08 PM

I froze the eggs

If you need eggs right away I would try the defrost cycle in the microwave.
Kent

Elaine Parrish 19-12-2005 07:09 AM

I froze the eggs

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 wrote:

> I just realized that I left a dozen eggs on the back porch. I often
> put food in there during the winter that needs to be frozen because my
> freezer is very small. I put some meat out there a couple days ago,
> but forgot there was a dozen eggs in the box. I just went to look for
> these eggs and realized they never got into the fridge.
>
> I did not try to open any of these eggs, but I know they are frozen
> because its' zero degrees outside and my cheese is frozen too. (closed
> in porch is not insulated).
>
> My question, are these eggs still usable? Can I just hardboil all of
> them so they dont go to waste. If YES, can I just boil them while
> still frozen?
>
> Or can I just unthaw them and use as normal?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mary

Freezing them won't hurt them. My frige outside gets too cold regularly
and freezes the eggs. I've cracked several only to dump a frozen egg in
the skillet. I scramble it up and it is fine.

I don't know about boiling them. I'd probably put them in cold water and
low heat to allow them to warm up slowly. Frozen stuff (except water)
contracts and hot stuff expands. The shell will need to expand before the
the egg inside. You might let them warm up to room temp first.

Elaine, too