Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Snowed In

We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
man nor beast.

I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.

Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
way.

Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.

I wonder if I should bake some bread?

What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.

Sounds tasty!

> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.

Hmmmm, I haven't heard that. Don't hurt your wrist (or the cleaver!)...
just use the bones with some trusty herbs, veggies and water to make your
stock.

> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.

Try what I did - Bisquick topping for a "pie". 1 cup Bisquick, 1/2 c. milk,
one egg. Stir until you have a batter, then pour it on top of the
beef/veggies in a pie plate. Bake about 30 minutes. Instant beef pot pie.

> I wonder if I should bake some bread?

Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a bread machine and my
hands get too tired trying to knead dough.

> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?
>
> Carol

Soup, of course BUT, I thawed some pollock fillets so I'm pretty much
locked in to batter frying fish and hush puppies today.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.
>
> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.
>
> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef.

? are you talking about roasting the bones and vegetables first?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:49:00 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> > We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> > man nor beast.
> >
> > I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.
> >
> > Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> > Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> > with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> > way.
> >
> > Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> > add cubed, leftover beef.

> ? are you talking about roasting the bones and vegetables first?

The bones were already roasted from when we made the roast. Should
they be re-roasted before making stew? I always use raw veggies in
stew.

Okay, tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm here to learn. : )

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Libido Incognito

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.

I like to use a rubber mallet to strike the cleaver, when attempting to
whack thru bones...You get better control (aim) and don't hurt you or the
cleaver as much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:23:29 -0600, "Mr. Libido Incognito"
> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> > Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> > with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> > way.

> I like to use a rubber mallet to strike the cleaver, when attempting to
> whack thru bones...You get better control (aim) and don't hurt you or the
> cleaver as much.

If'n I had a rubber mallet, I'd do that. Chances are, I'll miss the
bones completely. I haven't perfected my aiming skills with that
thing yet. When I make Jill's soup, I wind up chopping the squash
into irregular pieces. <sigh>

Carol, sorta scared of knives
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Libido Incognito

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>> I like to use a rubber mallet to strike the cleaver, when attempting to
>> whack thru bones...You get better control (aim) and don't hurt you or the
>> cleaver as much.

> If'n I had a rubber mallet, I'd do that. Chances are, I'll miss the
> bones completely. I haven't perfected my aiming skills with that
> thing yet. When I make Jill's soup, I wind up chopping the squash
> into irregular pieces. <sigh>
>
> Carol, sorta scared of knives

How about a regular hammer and a block of scrap wood?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Jill wrote:

>> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>>

> Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a bread machine and
> my
> hands get too tired trying to knead dough.

There's an option you didn't mention, so I'm not sure if it's an option for
YOU or not: My mixer has a dough hook and makes VERY good bread. My two
favorite bread recipes -- mixed-starter bread and brioche -- are both from
_Baking With Julia_, and both work very well without kneading by hand.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.
>
> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.

Sounds good. I just saw a report that we are due for three different snow
storms over the next few days. My wife has a batch of stew in the oven
now.

I have only cooked one or two pot roasts. The first one was nothing to
write home about, but the last one was pretty good.

> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?

Tapioca or rice pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Carol wrote:

> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.

You can get flavor FASTER that way. Hacking the bones cuts down on cooking
time, but you can get the same results by long slow simmering. You can do
even better by pressure-cooking.

> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.

What about onions? If you don't want onions to be in the final stew, maybe
you could put them in with the bones you're cooking for the broth and then
strain them out. I think they're really essential.

> I wonder if I should bake some bread?

Sounds like a wonderful idea! Did you have any particular bread in mind?

> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?

I'm not likely to get snowed in, but if I were, I'd do pretty much the same
thing that you're doing. I'd also toast marshmallows and make hot
chocolate. :-) Some other good snowed-in foods are rice pudding, lasagna,
macaroni & cheese ... come to think of it, I've got the Cook's Illustrated
"Cover and Bake" cookbook which is chock-full of recipes eminently suitable
for your situation. I'll dig it out and post whatever I find that looks
good. (Probably won't be until late tonight, though, I've got a bunch of
housecleaning to do.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Jill wrote:
>
>>> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>>>

>> Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a bread machine and
>> my
>> hands get too tired trying to knead dough.

> There's an option you didn't mention, so I'm not sure if it's an option
> for
> YOU or not: My mixer has a dough hook and makes VERY good bread. My two
> favorite bread recipes -- mixed-starter bread and brioche -- are both from
> _Baking With Julia_, and both work very well without kneading by hand.
>
> Bob

The hand bones are attached to the arm bones and back bones. A song!
Seriously, any laminating done is usually done leaning over a table, heaving
a rolling pin (even if it has rollers) for an impossible length of time. I
didn't have the strength for it 40 years ago, let alone today. I was born
weak and no amount of exercise over the years have helped, but I suffered
the consequences. It's a difficult thing to face that we are not all
created equal physically. I'd like to be in the kitchen right now doing the
heartiest work, but that's never been the case; I've suffered for the
effort.
By the way, did some big guy write this? Please send all bread to be
kneaded to Bob!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Mr. Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>>> I like to use a rubber mallet to strike the cleaver, when attempting to
>>> whack thru bones...You get better control (aim) and don't hurt you or
>>> the
>>> cleaver as much.

>> If'n I had a rubber mallet, I'd do that. Chances are, I'll miss the
>> bones completely. I haven't perfected my aiming skills with that
>> thing yet. When I make Jill's soup, I wind up chopping the squash
>> into irregular pieces. <sigh>
>>
>> Carol, sorta scared of knives

> How about a regular hammer and a block of scrap wood?

You're quick, Mr. Libido. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 14 Dec 2005 13:45:04 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> >> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
> >>

> > Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a bread machine and
> > my hands get too tired trying to knead dough.

> There's an option you didn't mention, so I'm not sure if it's an option for
> YOU or not: My mixer has a dough hook and makes VERY good bread. My two
> favorite bread recipes -- mixed-starter bread and brioche -- are both from
> _Baking With Julia_, and both work very well without kneading by hand.

Nah, I'll just thaw a frozen loaf of dough and bake it. My hands and
arms can't handle kneading, and I do not want to clean the mixer.

Lazy Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:45:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I have only cooked one or two pot roasts. The first one was nothing to
> write home about, but the last one was pretty good.

We will never use another pot roast recipe as long as we live:

* Exported from MasterCook *

On Again, Off Again Pot Roast

Recipe By :Margaret Fox (Cafe Beajolais Cookbook)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef

2 1/2 pounds chuck roast -- at room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 yellow onions -- peeled and thinly
sliced

Rub salt, pepper and garlic into chuck roast and place in a Dutch
oven.
Cover with the onions.
Cover and place in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.
Remove cover and bake for 1 more hour
Replace top and bake for 1 more hour.

Source:
"Chris Dabney in rec.food.cooking"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 14 Dec 2005 13:46:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Carol wrote:
>
> > Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> > Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> > with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> > way.

> You can get flavor FASTER that way. Hacking the bones cuts down on cooking
> time, but you can get the same results by long slow simmering. You can do
> even better by pressure-cooking.

Faster is good. I want to cut down on gas usage as much as possible.
I'll go get the pressure cooker out of the basement. It's still in
the box, and we'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip!

> > Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> > add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
> > dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.

> What about onions? If you don't want onions to be in the final stew, maybe
> you could put them in with the bones you're cooking for the broth and then
> strain them out. I think they're really essential.

Yeah, onions. And a shot of Worcestershire sauce (we put that in
almost everything), a little bit of dry red wine, thyme, and if
needed, some Kitchen Bouquet to provide a deeper brown color.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:16:01 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

Regarding making bread from scratch and hand-kneeding it:

> The hand bones are attached to the arm bones and back bones. A song!
> Seriously, any laminating done is usually done leaning over a table, heaving
> a rolling pin (even if it has rollers) for an impossible length of time. I
> didn't have the strength for it 40 years ago, let alone today. I was born
> weak and no amount of exercise over the years have helped, but I suffered
> the consequences. It's a difficult thing to face that we are not all
> created equal physically. I'd like to be in the kitchen right now doing the
> heartiest work, but that's never been the case; I've suffered for the
> effort.
> By the way, did some big guy write this? Please send all bread to be
> kneaded to Bob!

That is why they make frozen bread dough. )

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

>> ? are you talking about roasting the bones and vegetables first?

> The bones were already roasted from when we made the roast. Should
> they be re-roasted before making stew? I always use raw veggies in
> stew.
>
> Okay, tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm here to learn. : )
>
> Carol

You ain't doing nothing wrong. Not at all.

One method of enriching stock is to dry roast root vegetables until they are
deep brown - not burnt. A slow oven is perfect.

Re-Roasting the bones can not hurt especially if there is still some red showing
on the cut side of the meat. This will also tend to render out some more of the
fat.

Then simmer the bones and vegetables for a while - When you are ready the
vegetables are cooked out throw them away - add your meat and fresh vegetables
for your soup.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:27:22 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> One method of enriching stock is to dry roast root vegetables until they are
> deep brown - not burnt. A slow oven is perfect.
>
> Re-Roasting the bones can not hurt especially if there is still some red showing
> on the cut side of the meat. This will also tend to render out some more of the
> fat.
>
> Then simmer the bones and vegetables for a while - When you are ready the
> vegetables are cooked out throw them away - add your meat and fresh vegetables
> for your soup.

Thank you very kindly, sir.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2005 13:45:04 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:

>>> Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a bread
>>> machine and my hands get too tired trying to knead dough.

>> There's an option you didn't mention, so I'm not sure if it's an
>> option for YOU or not: My mixer has a dough hook and makes VERY good
>> bread. My two favorite bread recipes -- mixed-starter bread and
>> brioche -- are both from _Baking With Julia_, and both work very
>> well without kneading by hand.

> Nah, I'll just thaw a frozen loaf of dough and bake it. My hands and
> arms can't handle kneading, and I do not want to clean the mixer.
>
> Lazy Carol

I love that frozen bread dough!

Jill <--adding it to my list

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.

Hey, so am I! We're not snowed in, though. It's not even that cold
(mid-20's). Supposed to do something tonight, though (probably the usual --
snow a few inches, then turn to freezing rain just before rush hour, then
warm up to 40 and melt by noon -- in any case, school will be either closed
or delayed, sigh).

> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?

Cookies and soup.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>> Nah, I'll just thaw a frozen loaf of dough and bake it. My hands and
>> arms can't handle kneading, and I do not want to clean the mixer.

> I love that frozen bread dough!
>
> Jill <--adding it to my list

Wow, I just bought that for the first time last week or two ago,
5 frozen loaves for ... I don't know, 5 bucks or so. Had one
loaf this weekend, made nice french toast one morning, that's
for sure.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.
>
> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.
>
> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.
>
> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>
> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?
>
> Carol

You wimp! I was out all day in my car!!!
Of course I wish I hadn't, and it helps that I have fancy buttons that heat my
seat and turn on the traction control.

I posted somewhere else what I made to combat the crap ass weather

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes for dinner.
>
> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more flavor that
> way.
>
> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and make
> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.
>
> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>
> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere to go?
>
> Carol

I live in Florida so the only time I'm "cozied" is because of a
hurricane....in which case I eat anything that's not moving too fast!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> Nah, I'll just thaw a frozen loaf of dough and bake it. My hands
>>> and arms can't handle kneading, and I do not want to clean the
>>> mixer.

>> I love that frozen bread dough!
>>
>> Jill <--adding it to my list

> Wow, I just bought that for the first time last week or two ago,
> 5 frozen loaves for ... I don't know, 5 bucks or so. Had one
> loaf this weekend, made nice french toast one morning, that's
> for sure.
>
> nancy

We're talking the kind that you thaw and let rise, like a regular loaf of
bread, then bake... right? Delicious and the house smells of homemade bread
when it bakes, without all the work

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Libido Incognito

Dee Randall wrote:

>> How about a regular hammer and a block of scrap wood?

> You're quick, Mr. Libido. Necessity is the mother of invention.
> Dee Dee

Try a towel, a 2 by 4 and some duct tape?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:27:22 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> One method of enriching stock is to dry roast root vegetables until they are
>> deep brown - not burnt. A slow oven is perfect.
>>
>> Re-Roasting the bones can not hurt especially if there is still some red
>> showing
>> on the cut side of the meat. This will also tend to render out some more of
>> the
>> fat.
>>
>> Then simmer the bones and vegetables for a while - When you are ready the
>> vegetables are cooked out throw them away - add your meat and fresh
>> vegetables
>> for your soup.

> Thank you very kindly, sir.
>
> Carol

Only for delightful trollops.

:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:09:23 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
> > man nor beast.

> You wimp! I was out all day in my car!!!
> Of course I wish I hadn't, and it helps that I have fancy buttons that heat my
> seat and turn on the traction control.

Do you have thigh high snow drifts up there? We couldn't get out of
our driveway until a neighbor came over with his snow blower. Schools
were closed down here.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Mr. Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>>> How about a regular hammer and a block of scrap wood?

>> You're quick, Mr. Libido. Necessity is the mother of invention.
>> Dee Dee

> Try a towel, a 2 by 4 and some duct tape?

My favorite - try a husband!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:01:43 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> We're talking the kind that you thaw and let rise, like a regular loaf of
> bread, then bake... right? Delicious and the house smells of homemade bread
> when it bakes, without all the work

You betcha! I bought a store brand for Thanksgiving, and Crash has
instructed me to buy only Rhode's brand from now on. They also have
dinner roll balls.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:09:23 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> > We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a fit day for
>> > man nor beast.

>> You wimp! I was out all day in my car!!!
>> Of course I wish I hadn't, and it helps that I have fancy buttons that heat

my
>> seat and turn on the traction control.

> Do you have thigh high snow drifts up there? We couldn't get out of
> our driveway until a neighbor came over with his snow blower. Schools
> were closed down here.
>
> Carol

naw, it's not nearly as bad here. I got stuck at intersections a few times,
but it's not really as bad as there.
I just like calling you a wimp!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Libido Incognito

limey wrote:

>>> You're quick, Mr. Libido. Necessity is the mother of invention.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Try a towel, a 2 by 4 and some duct tape?

> My favorite - try a husband!
>
> Dora

Wrapping a husband in a towel and duct tape has a name...husbandcide. And
works well for insurance pay-outs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dee replied:

>> There's an option you didn't mention, so I'm not sure if it's an option
>> for YOU or not: My mixer has a dough hook and makes VERY good bread. My
>> two favorite bread recipes -- mixed-starter bread and brioche -- are both
>> from _Baking With Julia_, and both work very well without kneading by
>> hand.

> The hand bones are attached to the arm bones and back bones. A song!
> Seriously, any laminating done is usually done leaning over a table,
> heaving a rolling pin (even if it has rollers) for an impossible length of
> time. I didn't have the strength for it 40 years ago, let alone today. I
> was born weak and no amount of exercise over the years have helped, but I
> suffered the consequences. It's a difficult thing to face that we are not
> all created equal physically. I'd like to be in the kitchen right now
> doing the heartiest work, but that's never been the case; I've suffered
> for the effort.
> By the way, did some big guy write this? Please send all bread to be
> kneaded to Bob!

Maybe I wasn't clear: I put dough into the bowl of the mixer, affix the
dough hook, and let the mixer knead the dough. It's probably within your
ability to do the same thing.

By the way, I *am* a big guy. An ex-girlfriend's pet name for me was
"Strapping Man" (and it wasn't because she liked to be paddled).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:22:54 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> >
> > Thank you very kindly, sir.

> Only for delightful trollops.
>
> :-)

*blush* Why, thank you, Dimitri, you delightful studmuffin!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:44:40 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:09:23 GMT, The Bubbo >
> > wrote:

> >> You wimp! I was out all day in my car!!!
> >> Of course I wish I hadn't, and it helps that I have fancy buttons that heat
> >> my seat and turn on the traction control.

> > Do you have thigh high snow drifts up there? We couldn't get out of
> > our driveway until a neighbor came over with his snow blower. Schools
> > were closed down here.
> >
> > Carol

> naw, it's not nearly as bad here. I got stuck at intersections a few times,
> but it's not really as bad as there.
> I just like calling you a wimp!

I like calling you a bitch. ;-)

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Wow, I just bought that for the first time last week or two ago,
>> 5 frozen loaves for ... I don't know, 5 bucks or so. Had one
>> loaf this weekend, made nice french toast one morning, that's
>> for sure.

> We're talking the kind that you thaw and let rise, like a regular loaf of
> bread, then bake... right? Delicious and the house smells of homemade
> bread
> when it bakes, without all the work

Exactly! It was just nice to have.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Damsel wrote:

> On Again, Off Again Pot Roast
>
> Recipe By :Margaret Fox (Cafe Beajolais Cookbook)
>
> Source:
> "Chris Dabney in rec.food.cooking"

I love that cookbook! (And I should have known that Chris would have it!)
Here's a good Christmas-cookie recipe from that book:

Cornmeal-Ginger Cookies (from Café Beaujolais)

Makes about 55 cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger

1. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until well
blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg yolks, and lemon zest.

2. In another bowl, stir and toss together the flour, cornmeal, salt and
ginger. Add to the butter-sugar mixture, and blend thoroughly until the
dough is cohesive and completely mixed.

3. Divide the dough in half (it will be soft), and on a lightly floured
surface, push, pat, and roll each piece into a cylinder about 7 inches long
and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap securely in plastic wrap (if you plan to
refrigerate or freeze it) or waxed paper, and chill for a few hours, until
firm.

4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. With a thin sharp knife, cut the dough
into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Place about an inch apart on buttered
cookie sheets and bake for about 10 minutes. They should spread and puff
just slightly, but should not brown. Remove from the sheets and cool on
racks, then store in an airtight container.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 14 Dec 2005 19:14:01 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> On Again, Off Again Pot Roast
>>
>> Recipe By :Margaret Fox (Cafe Beajolais Cookbook)
>>
>> Source:
>> "Chris Dabney in rec.food.cooking"

>I love that cookbook! (And I should have known that Chris would have it!)
>Here's a good Christmas-cookie recipe from that book:

Try the Roast Boned Leg of Lamb from that book. It is truly to die
for.

Also, the Chinese Chicken Salad. I was lucky and had that at the
restaurant, before Margaret Fox sold the place. I had gotten the
book a few years before, and after I visited Cafe Beaujolais, I had to
come home and make the salad. It is incredibly good.

Her rice pudding is good too.

What else have you tried from that book? I don't think I have ever
fixed anything from that book that wasn't a total winner....

This is one of the cookbooks that comes with me when I travel. It is
well worn...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
message ...
> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not a
> fit day for
> man nor beast.
>
> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes
> for dinner.
>
> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from
> last
> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking
> them in half
> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more
> flavor that
> way.
>
> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender
> crisp, I'll
> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess and
> make
> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.
>
> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>
> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker
> says that's
> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere
> to go?
>
> Carol
> --

We're supposed to get it tomorrow, Carol. About 3 foot by
Friday morning. Oh, well at least I'm getting a new kitchen
out of staying home this winter.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> We've got lots of snow here. Blowing and drifting. Not
>> a fit day for
>> man nor beast.
>>
>> I'm making pot roast with onions, carrots, and potatoes
>> for dinner.
>>

> Sounds tasty!
>
>> Tomorrow, I'm making some beef broth with the bones from
>> last
>> Christmas' standing rib roast. I'm considering hacking
>> them in half
>> with my trusty cleaver. I've heard that you can get more
>> flavor that
>> way.
>>

> Hmmmm, I haven't heard that. Don't hurt your wrist (or
> the cleaver!)...
> just use the bones with some trusty herbs, veggies and
> water to make your
> stock.
>
>> Then I'll add carrots and potatoes. When they're tender
>> crisp, I'll
>> add cubed, leftover beef. Then thicken the whole mess
>> and make
>> dumplings for the top. Crash will be in hog heaven.
>>

> Try what I did - Bisquick topping for a "pie". 1 cup
> Bisquick, 1/2 c. milk,
> one egg. Stir until you have a batter, then pour it on
> top of the
> beef/veggies in a pie plate. Bake about 30 minutes.
> Instant beef pot pie.
>
>> I wonder if I should bake some bread?
>>

> Dunno. I haven't baked bread in years. I don't have a
> bread machine and my
> hands get too tired trying to knead dough.
>
>> What do you guys cook when you're cozied (spell checker
>> says that's
>> not a word - well it is now) into your home with nowhere
>> to go?
>>
>> Carol

> Soup, of course BUT, I thawed some pollock fillets so
> I'm pretty much
> locked in to batter frying fish and hush puppies today.
>
> Jill

I don't know if you have Ikea in the States, but it's a
Swedish furniture and household store and it has a
restaurant. Whenever we drive the distance (1 1/2 hrs each
way) we have the swedish meatballs with gravy and potatoes.

So, I'm trying to make meals with half a kitchen and I got
this neat idea. I grabbed a couple of au jus gravy packets
and mixed them up in my crockpot base (which hubby knocked
off one handle while building), put it on the stove and
cooked the gravy. Threw in a bunch of my small frozen
meatballs and put it in the heating part and put it on high.
I put on potatoes and green beans and by the time they were
done so were the meatballs. Oh and I added some nutmeg to
the gravy.

Then I served the potatoes mashed with the green beans and
the meatballs beside with the gravy over the potatoes.

Yum!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:44:40 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

heat

>> > Do you have thigh high snow drifts up there? We couldn't get out of
>> > our driveway until a neighbor came over with his snow blower. Schools
>> > were closed down here.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> naw, it's not nearly as bad here. I got stuck at intersections a few times,
>> but it's not really as bad as there.
>> I just like calling you a wimp!

> I like calling you a bitch. ;-)
>
> Carol

nice

Snowed in. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 26 16-02-2007 09:37 PM
Company in the Meadow. Was: Snowed in. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 2 15-02-2007 01:54 PM
Ikea (was Snowed In) Sharon Chilson General Cooking 0 15-12-2005 08:39 PM
Snowed in In Connecticut Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 3 07-12-2003 02:56 PM