Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Festive Side

BARBECUED BAKED BEANS

1 pound small white beans
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery with leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 16-ounce can tomato sauce or 6 large fresh tomatoes
chopped and stewed for 1 hour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup thick molasses
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
chicken, veal, or pork stock (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 cup country cured slab bacon, diced

Wash beans, place in large pot and cover with cool water, boil for 5
minutes, and remove from heat; let sit for 1 hour with tight lid. In
skillet, sauté onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in olive oil on
a high
flame for 4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add tomato sauce,
sugar,
molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cloves, and simmer for 30
minutes. Pour off water from beans and replace with 3 1/2 cups
(approximately) fresh cool water or meat stock. Add bay leaves, salt,
pepper, and thyme. Let simmer, covered, until beans are tender. Sauté
bacon cubes; drain. Drain liquid
from beans and reserve. Combine beans and tomato sauce in Dutch oven or
bean pot. Top with bacon and bake in 300-degree oven for 3 to 5 hours.
Stir beans now and then, adding reserved liquid when needed.
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Sheldon wrote:
> BARBECUED BAKED BEANS
> [snip good recipe]

What?! No crackpot crockpot? No ketchup bottle? Real beans? Done in
less than 12 hours? What are you thinking.... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

They sound wonderful, but a question? After all that work, time, and
volume, would they freeze well? Or would the beans degrade and fall
apart in the freezing and defrosting process?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> They sound wonderful, but a question? After all that work, time, and
> volume, would they freeze well? Or would the beans degrade and fall
> apart in the freezing and defrosting process?

I think you'd have a shot at a decent result if you thaw the beans
slowly and absolutely without poking at them to try to break them up to
speed the thawing. Especially if they were a little firm to start with.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri

Black Assam and English Breakfast side-by-side toci Tea 1 08-10-2005 05:40 PM
Festive Lasagne 7Hawks Recipes 0 18-11-2004 09:20 PM
Festive Chicken 7Hawks Recipes 0 18-11-2004 09:19 PM
GE Monogram side by side versus bottom freezer? Kent H. Cooking Equipment 3 18-02-2004 04:05 PM
Question on a Side-by-Side Refrig. Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 4 03-12-2003 03:40 AM