Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thomas

Default "mixed spice"

I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by my
mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's newspaper
cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
(ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from a UK
site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety of
uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the
proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me
> by my mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late
> 1950's newspaper cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is
> "mixed spice" (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit
> I got was from a UK site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular
> mixture with a variety of uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves,
> cinnamon". Is this what would have been a commonly available
> supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the proportions? Is this
> possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe someone out there can
> offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living without some of that
> chow-chow in the pantry.
> Thanks in advance!

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...1/rec0136.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by my
> mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's newspaper
> cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
> (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from a UK
> site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety of
> uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
> have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the
> proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
> someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
> without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
> Thanks in advance!
> Thomas

Pickling spice. Look at Penzeys.com to see what they put in their
pickling spice mix. From memory: stick cinnamon, whole cloves, bay
leaf, mustard seed. Ginger and nutmeg (especially) strike me as odd
there; coriander is reasonable. I don't know about proportions. Might
also poke around homecanning.com or uga.edu/nchfp for info. Or ask at
rec.food.preserving where it properly belongs. Lots of knowledgeable
folks there. Might see what the NCHFP site has for a Chow-Chow recipe,
too. Whoops -- and now I see you're looking for something that's
ground. In that one, I am clueless.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-11-05 - Good Food, Good Friends
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Noises Off

Thomas wrote:
> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by my
> mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's newspaper
> cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
> (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from a UK
> site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety of
> uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
> have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the
> proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
> someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
> without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
> Thanks in advance!
> Thomas

I'm in the UK and looking at a bottle of Mixed Spices. It
says (in the smallest writing I have ever seen):

Cinnamon
Coriander seed
caraway
Nutmeg
Ginger
Cloves

No proportions given but by law here they must be listed in
descending order.

It is nothing like Pickling Spice' that is a separate product.

I can remember the stuff from the 50's it was more popular
then I think. It still tastes the same to me.

It is commonly used to make Hot Cross Buns, do you have them
in the States?

Noises off

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Noises Off wrote:
> [snip]
> It is commonly used to make Hot Cross Buns, do you have them
> in the States?

Yes, at least wherever there are Russian Orthodox churches. Sweet,
eggy, yeast rolls often including raisins, topped with a white sugar
glaze, usually in a cross pattern. A childhood treat that followed the
parade around the cathedral that was part of the Russian Easter (as we
called it) service. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thomas

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I think Ophelia's post helps the most,
but I appreciate all the input. Hopefully when I come up with 2 quarts of
green tomatoes I can move forward on the chow-chow.
Black-eyed peas with mom's chow-chow......sublime!
Thomas

"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by
> my mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's
> newspaper cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed
> spice" (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was
> from a UK site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a
> variety of uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this
> what would have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any
> idea of the proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"?
> Maybe someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth
> living without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
> Thanks in advance!
> Thomas

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:17:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by my
>> mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's newspaper
>> cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
>> (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from a UK
>> site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety of
>> uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
>> have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the
>> proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
>> someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
>> without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Thomas

>Pickling spice. Look at Penzeys.com to see what they put in their
>pickling spice mix. From memory: stick cinnamon, whole cloves, bay
>leaf, mustard seed. Ginger and nutmeg (especially) strike me as odd
>there; coriander is reasonable. I don't know about proportions. Might
>also poke around homecanning.com or uga.edu/nchfp for info. Or ask at
>rec.food.preserving where it properly belongs. Lots of knowledgeable
>folks there. Might see what the NCHFP site has for a Chow-Chow recipe,
>too. Whoops -- and now I see you're looking for something that's
>ground. In that one, I am clueless.

Betcha there's allspice in the mix someplace.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 11 Dec 2005 06:20:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:17:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me
>>> by my mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late
>>> 1950's newspaper cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is
>>> "mixed spice" (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit
>>> I got was from a UK site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular
>>> mixture with a variety of uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves,
>>> cinnamon". Is this what would have been a commonly available
>>> supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the proportions? Is this
>>> possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe someone out there can
>>> offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living without some of that
>>> chow-chow in the pantry. Thanks in advance!
>>> Thomas

>>Pickling spice. Look at Penzeys.com to see what they put in their
>>pickling spice mix. From memory: stick cinnamon, whole cloves, bay
>>leaf, mustard seed. Ginger and nutmeg (especially) strike me as odd
>>there; coriander is reasonable. I don't know about proportions. Might
>>also poke around homecanning.com or uga.edu/nchfp for info. Or ask at
>>rec.food.preserving where it properly belongs. Lots of knowledgeable
>>folks there. Might see what the NCHFP site has for a Chow-Chow recipe,
>> too.
>> Whoops -- and now I see you're looking for something that's ground.
>> In
>>that one, I am clueless.

> Betcha there's allspice in the mix someplace.
>
> modom

Just as "pumpkin pie spice" is made from various formulations by spice
companies in the US, British "mixed spice" formulations can vary by company
in the UK.

Some years ago I did considerable research on "mixed spice" and compared a
fair number of recipes. The following is what I settled on. You can use
whole or pre-ground spices to make this, but I prefer using whole. Since I
use it in an asortment of recipes, I make a larger batch and keep it in a
well-sealed container.

This spice blend is, or course, quite different from pickling spice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

British Mixed Spice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Mace
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Cloves
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds

Grind all spices in a spice mill until a fine poweder is obtained. Store
in a tightly sealed jar.

"Use in Pumpkin Pie, Mincemeat Pie"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
Use 3 teaspoons in a pumpkin pie.
Use 3 teaspoons per quart of mincemeat.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by

my
> mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's

newspaper
> cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
> (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from a

UK
> site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety of
> uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
> have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of

the
> proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
> someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
> without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
> Thanks in advance!
> Thomas

That is what could be called 'cake spice' - usually used in sweet dishes
like cakes and puddings, but I have used it in savoury dishes with great
success, mixed with some other spices.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me by

my
> > mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late 1950's

newspaper
> > cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is "mixed spice"
> > (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit I got was from

a UK
> > site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular mixture with a variety

of
> > uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon". Is this what would
> > have been a commonly available supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of

the
> > proportions? Is this possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe
> > someone out there can offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living
> > without some of that chow-chow in the pantry.
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Thomas

> Pickling spice. Look at Penzeys.com to see what they put in their
> pickling spice mix. From memory: stick cinnamon, whole cloves, bay
> leaf, mustard seed. Ginger and nutmeg (especially) strike me as odd
> there; coriander is reasonable.

Not over here in England - go to almost any shop or SM, and anything
labelled as mixed spice will be as above in the OP, and is sold for use in
cakes, puddings etc. mainly, although is used in sweet pickles and chutneys
too.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Noises Off wrote:
> Thomas wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me
>> by my mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late
>> 1950's newspaper cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is
>> "mixed spice" (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit
>> I got was from a UK site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular
>> mixture with a variety of uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves,
>> cinnamon". Is this what would have been a commonly available
>> supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the proportions? Is this
>> possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe someone out there can
>> offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living without some of that
>> chow-chow in the pantry.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Thomas

> I'm in the UK and looking at a bottle of Mixed Spices. It says (in the
> smallest writing I have ever seen):
>
> Cinnamon
> Coriander seed
> caraway
> Nutmeg
> Ginger
> Cloves
>
> No proportions given but by law here they must be listed in descending
> order.
>
> It is nothing like Pickling Spice' that is a separate product.
>
> I can remember the stuff from the 50's it was more popular then I think.
> It still tastes the same to me.
>
> It is commonly used to make Hot Cross Buns, do you have them in the States?
>
> Noises off

Sounds about like "pumpkin pie spice", except maybe the caraway.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 14 Dec 2005 02:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> Noises Off wrote:
>> Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to do a little research here. I have a recipe given to me
>>> by my mother for her amazing chow-chow. It is from a mid to late
>>> 1950's newspaper cut-out. The "mystery" ingredient I'm researching is
>>> "mixed spice" (ground). I did a quick google search and the first hit
>>> I got was from a UK site that listed mixed spice as "Another popular
>>> mixture with a variety of uses : Coriander, nutmeg, ginger, cloves,
>>> cinnamon". Is this what would have been a commonly available
>>> supermarket packaged spice? Any idea of the proportions? Is this
>>> possibly also known as "pickling spice"? Maybe someone out there can
>>> offer some suggestions. Life is not worth living without some of that
>>> chow-chow in the pantry. Thanks in advance!
>>> Thomas

>> I'm in the UK and looking at a bottle of Mixed Spices. It says (in the
>> smallest writing I have ever seen):
>>
>> Cinnamon
>> Coriander seed
>> caraway
>> Nutmeg
>> Ginger
>> Cloves
>>
>> No proportions given but by law here they must be listed in descending
>> order.
>>
>> It is nothing like Pickling Spice' that is a separate product.
>>
>> I can remember the stuff from the 50's it was more popular then I
>> think. It still tastes the same to me.
>>
>> It is commonly used to make Hot Cross Buns, do you have them in the
>> States?
>>
>> Noises off
>>

> Sounds about like "pumpkin pie spice", except maybe the caraway.
>
> Bob

Close, but no cigar. Mixed Spice, as known in the UK, does not have a
direct equivalent in the US. I make my own. I have seen recipes for Mixed
Spice that contain caraway, but for most purposes I don't include it.

1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Mace
1 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Teaspoon Cloves
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 14 Dec 2005 02:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?
>

>>Noises Off wrote:

>>>I'm in the UK and looking at a bottle of Mixed Spices. It says (in the
>>>smallest writing I have ever seen):
>>>
>>>Cinnamon
>>>Coriander seed
>>>caraway
>>>Nutmeg
>>>Ginger
>>>Cloves
>>>
>>>No proportions given but by law here they must be listed in descending
>>>order.
>>>
>>>It is nothing like Pickling Spice' that is a separate product.
>>>
>>>I can remember the stuff from the 50's it was more popular then I
>>>think. It still tastes the same to me.
>>>
>>>It is commonly used to make Hot Cross Buns, do you have them in the
>>>States?
>>>
>>>Noises off
>>>

>>Sounds about like "pumpkin pie spice", except maybe the caraway.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> Close, but no cigar. Mixed Spice, as known in the UK, does not have a
> direct equivalent in the US. I make my own. I have seen recipes for Mixed
> Spice that contain caraway, but for most purposes I don't include it.
>
> 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1 Teaspoon Mace
> 1 Teaspoon Allspice
> 1 Teaspoon Cloves
> 1 Teaspoon Ginger
> 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds

I've seen that recipe too, but doesn't the cloves overpower everything
else? I'd probably cut the cloves back to 1/2 tsp. -- but then it might
not be Mixed Spice :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 14 Dec 2005 06:21:19p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 14 Dec 2005 02:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> zxcvbob?

>>>Sounds about like "pumpkin pie spice", except maybe the caraway.
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>> Close, but no cigar. Mixed Spice, as known in the UK, does not have a
>> direct equivalent in the US. I make my own. I have seen recipes for
>> Mixed Spice that contain caraway, but for most purposes I don't include
>> it.
>>
>> 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
>> 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
>> 1 Teaspoon Mace
>> 1 Teaspoon Allspice
>> 1 Teaspoon Cloves
>> 1 Teaspoon Ginger
>> 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
>>

> I've seen that recipe too, but doesn't the cloves overpower everything
> else? I'd probably cut the cloves back to 1/2 tsp. -- but then it might
> not be Mixed Spice :-)

One might think so, since clove is such a strong spice, but that has not
been my experience. Certainly, the proportions can all be adjusted.

I have seen Mixed Spice recipes that include star anise and caraway. I
haven't tried those mixtures yet. Recipes for Mixed Spice are not cast in
stone and ingredients and ratios both differ from one to another.

This Thanksgiving I used Mixed Spice in my pumpkin pies rather than what my
usual recipe calls for. They were delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Close, but no cigar. Mixed Spice, as known in the UK, does not have a
> direct equivalent in the US. I make my own. I have seen recipes for Mixed
> Spice that contain caraway, but for most purposes I don't include it.
>
> 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1 Teaspoon Mace
> 1 Teaspoon Allspice
> 1 Teaspoon Cloves
> 1 Teaspoon Ginger
> 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds

US readers should be aware that this is something of a variation on
typical mixed spice. Mixed spice is basically an improved equivalent of
cinnamon. It is primarily cinnamon, with a few other things added in
lesser amounts. The cinnamon flavour always leads the pack. Wayne's is
more nutmeg/mace heavy, and has only a minority amount of cninamon.

As a general purpose cake spice it is simply unbeatable, perfect for
pumpkin pie and so on. What you mericans are missing!

When caught with no mixed spice, cinnamon plus a bit of whatever of
those spices youve got will do as a sub, though its not quite as good.

NT