Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Hare-Scott

Default Fresh produce for summer

Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.
Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's middle
finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The night before we
had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil, yellow baby button
squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a simple oil and lemon juice
dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition. I am so happy.

We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just need to find
the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the growing season and have
fresh veges most of the year.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

David Hare-Scott wrote on 10 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production
> now. Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's
> middle finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The
> night before we had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil,
> yellow baby button squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a
> simple oil and lemon juice dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition.
> I am so happy.
>
> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos,
> capsicum etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just
> need to find the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the
> growing season and have fresh veges most of the year.
>
> David

Try Grilling the Zukes on the Barbie...liberaly brush them with Italian
salad dressing...very nice.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

David Hare-Scott wrote:

> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
> etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

You use dead fish for fertilizer too!

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.
>
> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

*Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

> Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

Hopefully *well composted* manure... you never want to place
uncomposted manure in your garden.

You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.

This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

Best Buy: http://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p4.html#sm

Sheldon Bio

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Sheldon replied to David Hare-Scott:

>> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

> *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

<snip>
> You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.
>
> This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
> warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
> more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
> using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
> about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
> exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

I don't believe your composter would do a very good job making humous.

From dictionary.com:

humous
n: a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and
garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East
[syn: hummus, humus, hommos, hoummos]

humus
n. A brown or black organic substance consisting of partially or wholly
decayed vegetable or animal matter that provides nutrients for plants and
increases the ability of soil to retain water.

Bob