Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

Default Those freaking seasoned almonds

WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
JAY-zuzz!!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Ooh,ooh,ooh - recipe?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin'
> said:

> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Okay, this isn't as bad, but it's driving me nuts -- I put "B.B.?"
on my grocery list for today; I know it's something Christmas related
for Miguel (DH) or Buddy (DS), which is why I didn't write it out.
But now I cannot remember, and I'm leaving for the store soon. Argh!!
Baseball? Bilbo Baggins? Butter beans?

Sucks getting old(er)...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"S'mee" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin'
> > said:
>
>> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
>> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
>> JAY-zuzz!!
>>
>> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> Okay, this isn't as bad, but it's driving me nuts -- I put "B.B.?"
> on my grocery list for today; I know it's something Christmas related
> for Miguel (DH) or Buddy (DS), which is why I didn't write it out.
> But now I cannot remember, and I'm leaving for the store soon. Argh!!
> Baseball? Bilbo Baggins? Butter beans?

Baked beans? Big bags? Baby Bokchoy? Buckeye Balls? Buttered Buns? Box
Bows? Banana Bread?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
> Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Snort!!! I'm laughing so hard. . . sorry I can't help you if you've got
brain freeze. . .but I do understand. I lost a teakettle last year that I
meant to use for plant watering and I haven't found it yet.
Good Luck
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:59:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Don't you sometimes put things on your basement freezer and forget
them there? ;-) Or is my memory failing me again?

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
> Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Top shelf of the closet.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:59:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
>hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
>JAY-zuzz!!
>
>Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

wE HaVE yoR aLMonDs. Do nOt CalL tHe POLicE. PLaCe uNMrkeD BILLs iN
bRoWN bAG UnDER pArK bnCH & u WILL gEt tHem bACk unHarMED wITH 2
kNIsheS.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:59:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
>>hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
>>JAY-zuzz!!
>>
>>Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> wE HaVE yoR aLMonDs. Do nOt CalL tHe POLicE. PLaCe uNMrkeD BILLs iN
> bRoWN bAG UnDER pArK bnCH & u WILL gEt tHem bACk unHarMED wITH 2
> kNIsheS.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

ROFL

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

The idea is to die young - as late as possible - but not if CS has
anything to do with it
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> > hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> > JAY-zuzz!!
> >
> > Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> Ooh,ooh,ooh - recipe?
>
> -L.

Not until you find my GD ALMONDS!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!

If it were something small, I would suggest it's under
a magazine or something else that was recently moved
into the house or living quarters.

Because they're jars and you meant to hide them, a
different strategy must be used. You put them
someplace you don't normally put things.

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago
when some friends were about to leave, but the
husband couldn't find his car keys. I distinctly
said "Did you check all your pockets?" and he said
yes, but later it turned out the keys were in his
back pocket. I asked him why he said he checked
his pockets when he didn't check his back pockets,
and he said he doesn't normally put his keys
in his back pockets. His wife and I cracked up
over that one.

Some weeks later, the same thing happened, except
this time I said "Did you check the pockets you
don't check when you check your pockets?". He
checked his back pockets, and found 'em. His wife
and I cracked up even more over that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

Default Those freaking seasoned almonds - recipes for same

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> > hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> > JAY-zuzz!!
> >
> > Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> Ooh,ooh,ooh - recipe?
>
> -L.

Oriental Almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine_
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce_
1 teaspoon salt_
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
Dash of hot pepper sauce_
1 (10 ounce) package Blue Diamond
Blanched Whole Almonds (2 cups) (mine were unblanched)

Melt butter in 2-quart baking dish in a 300 degrees F oven. Stir in
Worcestershire sauce, salt, cinnamon, chili powder and hot pepper sauce.
Add almonds; stir until completely coated. Bake, stirring occasionally,
15 minutes or until almonds are crisp.

These are ok, nothing more.

These were good:

Savory Cocktail Almonds

Posted by CookinMom at recipegoldmine.com April 27, 2001

1/2 cup whole almonds (with or without skins)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning (or use 1/4 teaspoon each of salt,
celery salt and onion salt)
1/8 teaspoon each of thyme, marjoram and savory_
1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes

Combine almonds and butter in saucepan or skillet; sauté over low heat
for about 5 minutes or until roasted, stirring often. Lift nuts with
fork or slotted spoon and drop into bowl that has one of the seasonings
mixtures; toss well.

If you want almonds that are more crisp turn seasoned almonds onto
cookie sheet and place in 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
Cool - store in closed jar to keep fresh.

These are Sandy's:

Sandy's Spicy Sugared Nuts
(Niece Sandy makes these for Uncle Rob every Christmas. Niece Sandy
rules!)

2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup whole almonds

Mix all ingredients in 8" skillet over low heat, stirring constantly
until sugar is melted and nuts are coated, about 20 minutes or more.
Remove from pan and cool on wax paper break apart and store at room temp.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Chris" > said:
> "S'mee" > wrote in message
> > One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin'
> > > said:

> >> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> >> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> >> JAY-zuzz!!

> >> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> > Okay, this isn't as bad, but it's driving me nuts -- I put "B.B.?"
> > on my grocery list for today; I know it's something Christmas related
> > for Miguel (DH) or Buddy (DS), which is why I didn't write it out.
> > But now I cannot remember, and I'm leaving for the store soon. Argh!!
> > Baseball? Bilbo Baggins? Butter beans?

> Baked beans? Big bags? Baby Bokchoy? Buckeye Balls? Buttered Buns? Box
> Bows? Banana Bread?

Good suggestions -- I never did figure it out. Oh well, I guess if it's
important, I'll remember eventually...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > looking for
> trouble wrote in
> :
>
> > In article .com>,

> >> Ooh,ooh,ooh - recipe?
> >>
> >> -L.

> > Not until you find my GD ALMONDS!

> I have missing cookies. SO made cookies last night and promised to leave
> me a couple of each. Not one cookie to be found. I'm terse. I suppose
> I'll have to haul all the way into the city and hold 'em up at gunpoint to
> get the frigging things.
>
> Michael <- ate the almonds AND the knishes

LOL!! Niece Sandy once lost a tin of Peanut Blossoms she'd hidden to
keep them safe from her husband's enthusiasm. She never did find them.
Not even when they moved.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Peanut Blossoms

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-9-05
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Cookies

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
48 milk chocolate candy kisses (Hershey¹s -- don¹t
use other cheap crap like Brach's stars)

Combine all ingredients except candy in large mixer bowl. Mix on lowest
speed of mixer until dough forms. Shape dough into balls, using a
rounded teaspoonful for each. Roll balls in sugar; place on ungreased
cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Top each cookie
immediately with a candy kiss; press down firmly so cookie cracks around
edge. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 54 Calories; 4g Fat (59% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 38mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Source: Pillsbury Flour recipe flyer -- in the 1960s? This is
the original recipe. Note: When dough is measured with a
half-tablespoon measuring spoon, this produces 60 cookies.

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Hiding Places was: Those freaking seasoned almonds

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:25:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> LOL!! Niece Sandy once lost a tin of Peanut Blossoms she'd hidden to
> keep them safe from her husband's enthusiasm. She never did find them.
> Not even when they moved.

Mom took a purse and a transistor radio (shoo-hoo!) away from me when
I was in elementary school. Never showed up, even when we gutted the
house 30+ years later, after Dad passed.

While cleaning out Dad's basement, my ex-sister finally found the
sterling flatware that she'd been coveting. Dad had hidden it for
safekeeping. In a cat litter bag. Full of used cat litter. I'm glad
she's eating with that stuff and I'm not!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

In your underwear drawer?
Under the towels/sheets in the linen closet?
In the big soup kettle in the cupboard?
In your canner/juicer/stock pot?
In the bathroom under-sink cabinet?
Guest room closet or bureau?
In a shoe box in your closet?
Behind your computer screen?
In the trunk of your car?
Behind the vacuum?
On the shelf of the coat closet?

Next time you hide something from Himself, email one of us the site and
then you can ask (or look it up in your "sent" folder.)

gloria p
who keeps finding this year's Christmas gifts she hid and forgot about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > looking for
> trouble wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
> >
> >> Melba's Jammin' > looking for
> >> trouble wrote in
> >> :

> >> I have missing cookies. SO made cookies last night and promised to
> >> leave me a couple of each. Not one cookie to be found. I'm terse. I
> >> suppose I'll have to haul all the way into the city and hold 'em up
> >> at gunpoint to get the frigging things.
> >>
> >> Michael <- ate the almonds AND the knishes

> > LOL!! Niece Sandy once lost a tin of Peanut Blossoms she'd hidden to
> > keep them safe from her husband's enthusiasm. She never did find
> > them. Not even when they moved.
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
> >
> > Peanut Blossoms
> >
> > Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-9-05
> > Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:15
> > Categories : Cookies
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
> > 1 tsp. soda
> > 1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
> > 1/2 cup shortening
> > 1/2 cup peanut butter
> > 1 egg
> > 2 Tbsp. milk
> > 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> > 48 milk chocolate candy kisses (Hershey¹s --
> > don¹t use other cheap crap like Brach's stars)
> >
> > Combine all ingredients except candy in large mixer bowl. Mix on
> > lowest speed of mixer until dough forms. Shape dough into balls,
> > using a rounded teaspoonful for each. Roll balls in sugar; place on
> > ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Top each
> > cookie immediately with a candy kiss; press down firmly so cookie
> > cracks around edge. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

> Mmmm... These sound good. Gawd luv ya', you know my weakness for Hershey's
> kisses. I've never used Brach's candy. Actually I don't think I've ever
> tasted it. Is it really inferior?
>
> Michael

For these, it's "cheap." I like Brach's' Bridge Mix but these PB
cookies deserve a real kiss. There's something about the stars -- i
think it's because they're not wrapped and they bump against each other
and get kind of a shopworn look to them.
Margaret doesn't consider either of them to be real chocolate, and
certainly not edible. Little do SHE know!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

In your underwear drawer?
Under the towels/sheets in the linen closet?
In the big soup kettle in the cupboard?
In your canner/juicer/stock pot?
In the bathroom under-sink cabinet?
Guest room closet or bureau?
In a shoe box in your closet?
Behind your computer screen?
In the trunk of your car?
Behind the vacuum?
On the shelf of the coat closet?

Next time you hide something from Himself, email one of us the site and
then you can ask (or look it up in your "sent" folder.)

gloria p
who keeps finding this year's Christmas gifts she hid and forgot about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:25:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>LOL!! Niece Sandy once lost a tin of Peanut Blossoms she'd hidden to
>>keep them safe from her husband's enthusiasm. She never did find them.
>>Not even when they moved.

> Mom took a purse and a transistor radio (shoo-hoo!) away from me when
> I was in elementary school. Never showed up, even when we gutted the
> house 30+ years later, after Dad passed.
>
> While cleaning out Dad's basement, my ex-sister finally found the
> sterling flatware that she'd been coveting. Dad had hidden it for
> safekeeping. In a cat litter bag. Full of used cat litter. I'm glad
> she's eating with that stuff and I'm not!
>
> Carol

My Mom hid the silver in a trashbag between the washer and
dryer--in the basement that got flooded with backed up sewage.

My demented dad apparently had quite a bit of money, and he
hid it so well, we never found it. Maybe the folks who moved
into the house did when they renovated....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:40:09 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
> Regarding Peanut Blossoms
>
> > Mmmm... These sound good. Gawd luv ya', you know my weakness for Hershey's
> > kisses. I've never used Brach's candy. Actually I don't think I've ever
> > tasted it. Is it really inferior?

Yes.

> I prefer Brach's stars to Hershey's Kisses. The stars are flatter,
> and much easier to eat (I hate struggling with those kisses - usually
> wind up eating them separately from the cookie, and what's fun about
> that?). The stars also dry a little softer than kisses. And they're
> far more attractive. Seek them out, Michael!
>
> Carol

Heathen. Infidel. Heretic. Trollop.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:08:25 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>I will NEVER forfeit my Hershey's Kisses. EVER
>
>Michael

I like the original milk chocolate and the ones with almonds. But I
don't care for the other variations, even the dark chocolate ones.

I made peanut blossoms for a bake sale in October and they were the
first things to go.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> These were good:
>
> Savory Cocktail Almonds
>
> Posted by CookinMom at recipegoldmine.com April 27, 2001
>
> 1/2 cup whole almonds (with or without skins)
> 1 tablespoon butter
> 1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning (or use 1/4 teaspoon each of salt,
> celery salt and onion salt)
> 1/8 teaspoon each of thyme, marjoram and savory_
> 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes

1/2 cup almonds??? That's not even eough to fill a tooth cavity.
When I go through the trouble to make something like that, I measure in
POUNDS!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > writes:

>I have missing cookies. SO made cookies last night and promised to leave
>me a couple of each. Not one cookie to be found. I'm terse. I suppose
>I'll have to haul all the way into the city and hold 'em up at gunpoint to
>get the frigging things.

You sure he didn't eat them? My hubby eats the stuff he's
specifically instructed NOT to eat, just to be a pain in the patoot.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "-L." > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> > > hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> > > JAY-zuzz!!
> > >
> > > Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

> > Ooh,ooh,ooh - recipe?
> >
> > -L.

> Not until you find my GD ALMONDS!

Well, the stock answer here is "Up Ike's ass!"

I have no idea who Ike is. We did not name our son Isaac for this
reason.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:26:42 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

In discussion of Peanut Blossom cookie recipe, and the use of Brach's
chocolate stars:

> For these, it's "cheap." I like Brach's' Bridge Mix but these PB
> cookies deserve a real kiss. There's something about the stars -- i
> think it's because they're not wrapped and they bump against each other
> and get kind of a shopworn look to them.

They sometimes look like crap when you buy them, but once they're
baked and a little melty, everything evens out.

Beepity-bleep-bleep-bleep! I can't find my back-up disc. There's a
picture of a Peanut Blossom with a star candy on that disc. Grrr! If
I find it, I'll post it. They really make the cookies pretty.

ObHistory:
I try to find the source of as many of the recipes I use as possible.
The source for the Peanut Blossoms recipe is:
Freda Smith, 9th Bake-Off® Contest, 1957
http://www.bakeoff.com/

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> These are Sandy's:
>
> Sandy's Spicy Sugared Nuts
> (Niece Sandy makes these for Uncle Rob every Christmas. Niece Sandy
> rules!)
>
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp allspice
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup pecan halves
> 1 cup whole almonds
>
> Mix all ingredients in 8" skillet over low heat, stirring constantly
> until sugar is melted and nuts are coated, about 20 minutes or more.
> Remove from pan and cool on wax paper break apart and store at room temp.
> --

Thanks, Hon. These look the best! Maybe I will make some to bring
with my hors d'oeuvre.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > looking for
>> trouble wrote in
>> :

>> > LOL!! Niece Sandy once lost a tin of Peanut Blossoms she'd hidden to
>> > keep them safe from her husband's enthusiasm. She never did find
>> > them. Not even when they moved.
>> >
>> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>> >
>> > Peanut Blossoms
>> >
>> > Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-9-05
>> > Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:15
>> > Categories : Cookies
>> >
>> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> > 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
>> > 1 tsp. soda
>> > 1/2 tsp. salt
>> > 1/2 cup sugar
>> > 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
>> > 1/2 cup shortening
>> > 1/2 cup peanut butter
>> > 1 egg
>> > 2 Tbsp. milk
>> > 1 tsp. vanilla extract
>> > 48 milk chocolate candy kisses (Hershey¹s --
>> > don¹t use other cheap crap like Brach's stars)
>> >
>> > Combine all ingredients except candy in large mixer bowl. Mix on
>> > lowest speed of mixer until dough forms. Shape dough into balls,
>> > using a rounded teaspoonful for each. Roll balls in sugar; place on
>> > ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Top each
>> > cookie immediately with a candy kiss; press down firmly so cookie
>> > cracks around edge. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

>> Mmmm... These sound good. Gawd luv ya', you know my weakness for
>> Hershey's
>> kisses. I've never used Brach's candy. Actually I don't think I've ever
>> tasted it. Is it really inferior?
>>
>> Michael

> For these, it's "cheap." I like Brach's' Bridge Mix but these PB
> cookies deserve a real kiss. There's something about the stars -- i
> think it's because they're not wrapped and they bump against each other
> and get kind of a shopworn look to them.
> Margaret doesn't consider either of them to be real chocolate, and
> certainly not edible. Little do SHE know!
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
> Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

I made these last weekend and tried the mini Kisses on them. I always found
it awkward to try and get two bites on the cookie with the big kiss. Any
how the mini Kisses don't seem to stick to the cookie as well as the large
Kisses. Boy they do look impressive with the big Kiss on them.

I did experiment this year with 2 different Peanut Butter Blossom recipes.
The one I have I got in the 1980's and it's always been good. BUT I saw the
above recipe on the Mini Kiss bag and thought well maybe the recipe had been
improved. So, I made a batch of them too. The new recipe didn't seem as
good when I did taste testing with friends and my kids. Don't get me wrong
we're not throwing them out they are good, but they didn't taste as Peanut
Buttery as my first recipe.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:05:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > I prefer Brach's stars to Hershey's Kisses. The stars are flatter,
> > and much easier to eat (I hate struggling with those kisses - usually
> > wind up eating them separately from the cookie, and what's fun about
> > that?). The stars also dry a little softer than kisses. And they're
> > far more attractive. Seek them out, Michael!

> Heathen. Infidel. Heretic. Trollop.

*blush* Aw, Barb, I didn't know you cared! ROFLMAO!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > These were good:
> >
> > Savory Cocktail Almonds
> >
> > Posted by CookinMom at recipegoldmine.com April 27, 2001
> >
> > 1/2 cup whole almonds (with or without skins)
> > 1 tablespoon butter
> > 1 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning (or use 1/4 teaspoon each of salt,
> > celery salt and onion salt)
> > 1/8 teaspoon each of thyme, marjoram and savory_
> > 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
> >

> 1/2 cup almonds??? That's not even eough to fill a tooth cavity.
> When I go through the trouble to make something like that, I measure in
> POUNDS!
>
> gloria p

No kidding. I made 2 cups worth. My little silver gift bags will
contain about a half cup each. It's all about looks on this one.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:26:42 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> In discussion of Peanut Blossom cookie recipe, and the use of Brach's
> chocolate stars:
>
> > For these, it's "cheap." I like Brach's' Bridge Mix but these PB
> > cookies deserve a real kiss. There's something about the stars -- i
> > think it's because they're not wrapped and they bump against each other
> > and get kind of a shopworn look to them.

> They sometimes look like crap when you buy them, but once they're
> baked and a little melty, everything evens out.
>
> Beepity-bleep-bleep-bleep! I can't find my back-up disc. There's a
> picture of a Peanut Blossom with a star candy on that disc. Grrr! If
> I find it, I'll post it. They really make the cookies pretty.
>
> ObHistory:
> I try to find the source of as many of the recipes I use as possible.
> The source for the Peanut Blossoms recipe is:
> Freda Smith, 9th Bake-Off® Contest, 1957
> http://www.bakeoff.com/
>
> Carol

Right. My Source: Pillsbury Flour recipe flyer -- in the 1960s? This
is the original recipe. Note: When dough is measured with a
half-tablespoon measuring spoon, this produces 60 cookies.
Note: It was one of the 100 finalists but didn't win anything. Heard
it on the news this week. Or maybe in last week's Taste Section - I
think that was it - it was about cookies. startribune.com/taste, I
think.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> JAY-zuzz!!

If there were such a thing as Mad Almond Disease,
I could tell you why this is happening. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts and
> > hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just spit!
> > JAY-zuzz!!

> If there were such a thing as Mad Almond Disease,
> I could tell you why this is happening. :-)

I think I'm in the advanced stage of CRS disease, Mark. Ye gods and
gartersnakes!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article et>,
"King's Crown" > wrote:

> I made these last weekend and tried the mini Kisses on them. I always found
> it awkward to try and get two bites on the cookie with the big kiss.

Well, there's your problem, now. They're bite-size cookies. You didn't
know that, I see. Now you do.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> "King's Crown" > wrote:
>

>> I made these last weekend and tried the mini Kisses on them. I always
>> found
>> it awkward to try and get two bites on the cookie with the big kiss.

> Well, there's your problem, now. They're bite-size cookies. You didn't
> know that, I see. Now you do.
> --

Not bite size for me. My mouth isn't that big. Now my teenage son...
that's another deal. He thinks 2 to a mouthful is just right.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOB

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
:: WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts
and
:: hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just
spit!
:: JAY-zuzz!!
::
:: Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
:: --
:: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
:: Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!

He found them and ate them?

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> :: WHERE IN SAM HELL DID I PUT THEM? I have two jars, made for gifts
> and
> :: hidden from Himself and I CANNOT FIND THOSE SUCKERS! I could just
> spit!
> :: JAY-zuzz!!
> ::
> :: Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
> :: --
> :: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-8-05, My Farfel-less
> :: Farfel with Mushrooms. Jeez!
>
> He found them and ate them?

Nah, I found them and gave then as gifts last night - as intended.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-11-05 - Good Food, Good Friends